ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the new redshirt rule

Purdue11

Junior
Jun 18, 2017
Sounds like the new redshirt rule will pass. Players will be allowed to play 4 game with the redshirt. I feel like this will be useful to many players but i feel like it could also be abused

I have not seen all the details on this new ruling. However, I am sure certain programs will definitely exploit it.

Reactions: Purdue11
Sounds great to me, get some PT for young guys without blowing a year if eligibility for 2 half games against Sun Belt teams or whatever. Will allow for more red-shirting I would think. If injuries decimate a position by late season, a Freshman could play 2 or 3 games and still have 4 years. Or allow for them to play in bowl games, which are mostly glorified exhibitions anyway.

The rule is only for true freshman, just as a note.

Sounds like the new redshirt rule will pass. Players will be allowed to play 4 game with the redshirt. I feel like this will be useful to many players but i feel like it could also be abused

Is that as in the first four games of the season, I assume?

If it's something that could be used over any four games, this rule could really protect players. Imagine if we faced the decision of burning Sipe's shirt or sticking Sparks in as QB for the last 2-3 games, if Sindelar had been more seriously injured.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Play a quarter of your teams schedule and not have it count towards your eligibility..... I can't imagine that being abused!

Does that mean you can play 8 games of only a half? I’m sure teams will push the envelope.

Does that mean you can play 8 games of only a half? I’m sure teams will push the envelope.
No. Once you are in for a play it counts as a game.

Reactions: pboiler18
Sounds great to me, get some PT for young guys without blowing a year if eligibility for 2 half games against Sun Belt teams or whatever. Will allow for more red-shirting I would think. If injuries decimate a position by late season, a Freshman could play 2 or 3 games and still have 4 years. Or allow for them to play in bowl games, which are mostly glorified exhibitions anyway.

The rule is only for true freshman, just as a note.

A freshman could play 2 Or 3 OR FOUR? I hate getting misunderstood on these things..

Also.. it can be the last four games and still be a shirt situation?

Should be like BB, IMO, letting a player practice all fall and then play the last four games and not loose a year of eligibility WILL be exploited and abused. Four of first six or in the first half the number of games a team has scheduled makes more sense!

Should be like BB, IMO, letting a player practice all fall and then play the last four games and not loose a year of eligibility WILL be exploited and abused. Four of first six or in the first half the number of games a team has scheduled makes more sense!

How will it be exploited and abused?

How will it be exploited and abused?

Watch how quickly teams will work to change their schedules to move weak teams to the end of their schedules to allow them to rest their regulars. Conferences that only play 8 will have an advantage over those who have 9. I’ve read this deal will also END the medical redshirts.

I believe that Alabama this past season and OSU s few years back won the National Championship after NOT playing in their Conference Championship game and had the extra time off for their regular starting players time to rest and heal which could be similar to scheduling a cupcake late in the year to do the same. And as I said it will be easier to do so if you only play 8 conference games.

Last proposal at the coaches conference, I believe, was to limit the games to the first half of the regular season.

Last edited:
That still doesn't explain how that system would be exploited or abused. Your scenario is an overall scheduling issue, not specifically a red-shirt issue.

Reactions: pboiler18
I believe what he is saying is teams like OSU and ALa will play cream puffs their last two games and play their freshmen and rest their starters! In that manner their starters are fresh for their bowl game and if a freshman gets injured big deal because they will be redshirted. Or withfreshmen being allowed to play 4 games an entire class could be red shirted

Reactions: ghostoffatjack
That's still not abuse... teams are already scheduling cupcakes in November, well the SEC is anyway, and that is when you would normally play back-ups/freshman anyway.

Most coaches actually do want to red-shirt their entire freshman class since many aren't physically ready but are needed randomly throughout the year due to injuries.

I guess I just can't see how allowing freshman a few games that don't count towards eligibility is abuse when if that freshman is so good that it matters to a gameplan, he won't be red-shirted anyway.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
I believe what he is saying is teams like OSU and ALa will play cream puffs their last two games and play their freshmen and rest their starters! In that manner their starters are fresh for their bowl game and if a freshman gets injured big deal because they will be redshirted. Or withfreshmen being allowed to play 4 games an entire class could be red shirted

Thank you!

I believe our concerns have been raised by other coaches. There will always be coaches who play by the rules, while others who look for loopholes.

With the 4 games being any 4 games, i see it as a team being able to tell a freshman, that yes he'll be redshirted, but he might get a chance to suit up and play in a game as a freshman. I think it would be great for a freshman to be able to suit up for the IU game or a bowl game. and if we're winning by 30 points, have an opportunity to play.

if I'm a player and know I'm redshirting, it would still be cool to suit up for one game.

I believe that Alabama this past season and OSU s few years back won the National Championship after NOT playing in their Conference Championship game and had the extra time off for their regular starting players time to rest and heal which could be similar to scheduling a cupcake late in the year to do the same. And as I said it will be easier to do so if you only play 8 conference games......... .

We already have this setup because of that "cupcake" game at the end of our schedule.

Reactions: clbndgm
ADVERTISEMENT