ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from the Spring Game

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
Just got back home from going to the Spring game. The weather could not have been any nicer. I got a little sunburned, but it was worth it. It was a great time. Good to see Ross Ade again.

Of course, we were missing several key members on both sides of the ball, but here is my take from seeing the scrimmage game today. Our secondary is going to be very athletic and bigger than what we have seen for a while. Elijah Ball was all over the field. He looks like he will be our hybrid nickelback/LB. Karlaftis is a beast. Hard to believe that this kid has not played a game in college yet. He definitely will be a starter from day one. He was putting pressure on the QBs all day. When he gets some experience, watch out. He definitely is the pass rusher we have missed since Kerrigan left several years ago. I hope we can get another bookend on the other side to help him out.

Our defense looked good, but some of this was caused by the offense. Moore was not used much today, but that was expected from tweets earlier this week. I did meet David Bell today. He was at the game. From talking to him, he seems like he is ready for August to start right now. Excited to see that combo on the field. Our OL is still a major concern for me. The defense performed well, but our OL had our QBs out of the pocket and on the run too often. If we are going to be able to throw those deep passes to the Bell and Wrights on our team this year, they have got to give our QBs some protection and time.

Our run game was better than expected. Horvath looked the part. I am anxious to see our 2 freshman coming in though. Our running game does not have much in the way of speed of getting around the corners. It is definitely up the middle. Our WRs dropped too many passes. I thought our TEs looked more comfortable today than our wideouts. I think Bell, Wright, Sheffield, and Rice will definitely challenge our current WRs (except for Moore of course). QB play was spotty. There were some good throws, but I thought the decision making will definitely need to improve. Of course, our OL play played a part in this I believe.

I stood in line for 40 minutes today to get Moore's autograph on a couple of items. I do not see how he has any feeling in his hands or shoulders right now. The line seemed to go the length of the field to stand in line for the WRs' table. Moore seemed to take it all in stride. I thought all our student athletes were very accommodating and polite. They represent our team and university very well. Boiler Up!

I was impressed with Plummer. He can run pretty well and can really sling it. He has nice touch on the ball and showed great poise and control on passes to the backs. I really look forward to him playing in the near future. He looks like the real deal for such a young kid.

ADVERTISEMENT