ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from Last Night

depthcharge623

Sophomore
Dec 31, 2013
1. It felt so good to push myself to stay up late for a game and be excited rather than disappointed when it ended!

2. Purdue played *really well*.

3. This tournament was my first chance to see the new guys, and I am pumped about Loyer and Smith. Both guys are fearless, can shoot, drive, and create shots for themselves and others. And against real competition too!

4. Purdue is playing on offense like we did early last season— great ball movement, cutting, getting that extra pass to find the open man, etc. It feels to me like if we keep playing like that we can be very tough offensively. The difference is this year we have no star guard, and in my opinion that will help us because Painter won’t be tempted to get away from what is working (like he did going Iso with Ivey so much last season).

5. Purdue’s defense seems better than last season by a lot. Guess putting young/hungry guys like Foster and Smith in helps a lot. Since defense was such a question mark last season, hopefully we will relish this Purdue staple once again.

6. With this team being so young, I imagine we can only get better overall throughout the season.

7. BTFU! POTFH!

1. It felt so good to push myself to stay up late for a game and be excited rather than disappointed when it ended!

3. This tournament was my first chance to see the new guys, and I am pumped about Loyer and Smith. Both guys are fearless, can shoot, drive, and create shots for themselves and others. And against real competition too!

4. Purdue is playing on offense like we did early last season— great ball movement, cutting, getting that extra pass to find the open man, etc. It feels to me like if we keep playing like that we can be very tough offensively. The difference is this year we have no star guard, and in my opinion that will help us because Painter won’t be tempted to get away from what is working (like he did going Iso with Ivey so much last season).

5. Purdue’s defense seems better than last season by a lot. Guess putting young/hungry guys like Foster and Smith in helps a lot. Since defense was such a question mark last season, hopefully we will relish this Purdue staple once again.

6. With this team being so young, I imagine we can only get better overall throughout the season.

7. BTFU! POTFH!

Good points. But I would have to disagree with #4 that we have no star guard. This team would be lost without Smith. Not to take anything away from Loyer or Newman who have been very good, & Morton's one great 9A game........but I can't imagine how we would get things going & ball up the court without Smith. He is a difference maker.

Good points. But I would have to disagree with #4 that we have no star guard. This team would be lost without Smith. Not to take anything away from Loyer or Newman who have been very good, & Morton's one great 9A game........but I can't imagine how we would get things going & ball up the court without Smith. He is a difference maker.
Yeah I see your point. I think Smith is very good and will really power this team down the stretch. But he’s not going to the NBA anytime soon, and I don’t think he can create for himself as well as Ivey did.

Yeah I see your point. I think Smith is very good and will really power this team down the stretch. But he’s not going to the NBA anytime soon, and I don’t think he can create for himself as well as Ivey did.

True, Smith will never be an AA & never play in the NBA. Not close to Ivey's talent, few are.

It's early on Smith, but at the end of his 4 years, his Purdue teams likely will have done more than Ivey's and I imagine might be looked at differently by you.

Last edited:
I don't want Smith to be Ivey. This team needs a pg like a motor needs oil. We need Smith to be exactly Smith.
4942bb5c-4f2f-424c-b376-a1897fc41cda.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

7. BTFU! POTFH!
Your point #5 is a key for this team. Painter loves to coach defense. Too much freelancing on defense last year. Painter was frustrated. This year we are able to play good team defense. The fact that our offense is matching last year is a bonus.

No he doesn't create for himself, he creates for his teammates. This group is about the team. That's why collectively last year's team, they were not as good as the parts that were there. This year it is a team offensively and defensively. You don't have guys doing their own thing.

It is nice not for every play being Ivey drive to the basket, three players collapse on him, and he takes a difficult shot. We will be much better by tournament time than we were last year. We have a team!

No he doesn't create for himself, he creates for his teammates. This group is about the team. That's why collectively last year's team, they were not as good as the parts that were there. This year it is a team offensively and defensively. You don't have guys doing their own thing.
The two aren’t mutually exclusive, and he did both last night.

True, Smith will never be an AA & never play in the NBA. Not close to Ivey's talent, few are.

It's early on Smith, but at the end of his 4 years, his Purdue teams likely will have done more than Ivey's and I imagine might be looked at differently by you.
He could be like Scott Skiles from Michigan State then who knows

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I will say this much, it would be awesome to have Bilas and Hummel on the call for this game. Both understand the game so well and would have their knowledge about the programs to interject throughout the game.

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
ADVERTISEMENT