ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts following Rutgers loss

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
1) I vote we don't play Rutgers anymore. Losing 5 of 6 to them, twice when ranked No1? WTH!
2) Rutgers plays really, really good D, both inside and outside. Really got into our guards and caused a lot of problems. Made our freshman make freshman mistakes. This is the first time all year the press really hurt us.
3) One of the fears with Smith's size was realized. He's going to get backed down and taken inside by bigger guards.
4) I can't decide about Morton. Half of me is frustrated that he's so passive on offense but half of me appreciates what he does on D. But.....you absolutely, positively, in no circumstance leave a 43% 3pt shooter to help when up 2. One thing I do know though, is that he needs to shave that ugly ass beard. Is he from a PA Amish community?
5) We don't have anyone who can get their own shot.

1) I vote we don't play Rutgers anymore. Losing 5 of 6 to them, twice when ranked No1? WTH!
2) Rutgers plays really, really good D, both inside and outside. Really got into our guards and caused a lot of problems. Made our freshman make freshman mistakes. This is the first time all year the press really hurt us.
3) One of the fears with Smith's size was realized. He's going to get backed down and taken inside by bigger guards.
4) I can't decide about Morton. Half of me is frustrated that he's so passive on offense but half of me appreciates what he does on D. But.....you absolutely, positively, in no circumstance leave a 43% 3pt shooter to help when up 2. One thing I do know though, is that he needs to shave that ugly ass beard. Is he from a PA Amish community?
Rutgers is extremely well coached by a guy similar to CMP who can identify & recruit talent that fits his system. This guy is very good & certainly has my respect.

Rutgers D shocked our guards, that & a bad foul call on Edey lost the game. Would not surprise me if we beat them next time.....unless we get a certain referee. I think they will know what is coming & be up for it. Physically was very educational for our 3 frosh who played.

Fair points, Lenny.....Happy New Year!

Rutgers certainly has Purdue's number right now - probably better defensively this year than last year.....and Painter said it last year that Mulcahy is a potentially next-level player.

Braden Smith will learn - I think this will tick him off, and he will respond - Painter even mentioned him in post game (and he usually doesn't do that)......but he knows Smith is a big key and his floor general.

Morton will still play a ton for his defense as long as he makes smart decisions with the ball on offense, break-down on the last defensive possession notwithstanding....he will still hit some big shots down the line in my view (DISCLAIMER - Black and Old Gold Vision enhanced. :) )

I think Fletcher Loyer can get his own shot, but he's still raw and figuring that out. Mr. Smith can too, or can penetrate and dish - tougher to do that against Rutgers, though.

Disappointing loss for sure - not totally surprised......no rest for the weary....two tough ones coming up, and the Boilers definitely need to put this behind them. Rutgers could easily be 3-0 in league play except for Ohio State getting a break at the end. Huge games coming up as the Boilers could suddenly be a couple of games down in the loss column......it's a grind and 10-week battle.

Also - for anyone interested - listen to Matt Painter's post game comments - he doesn't care what anyone else thinks, especially the media, alums, or fans when it comes to basketball games and coaching decisions (his coaching staff). Starts from a discussion around 11:15 below and includes distractions (#1-ranking, etc.). If he can get the team to block out the distractions and focus on the task at hand, that will help I think. I know there's plenty that don't like him or that he should change/loosen up (to each his own)......but he is as candid/transparent and as direct a coach as you'll find out there.

JMHO

Last edited:
1. Rutgers had scouted Purdue's offense and knew all of the plays. Zero separation, multiple passes denied and players faced pressure on the catch.
2. Purdue played at a frantic almost panicked pace at times which caused additional turnovers. The team really needs to keep their composure when the pass isn't there. Dribble the ball out while keeping the dribble alive, take their time and reset another play.
3. Another poor shooting game will cause teams to continue double Edey. Need to find a way to mitigate these double teams

Was at the game and agree with most of this. Thought we lost the game in the last 9 minutes of the first half with Edey out.

Reactions: Boilermb
Most overrated factor among some fans.

Great points. I hate to say but Morton is starting to remind me of Nojel Eastern with his limited offense.

Rutgers is a very well disciplined defensive team who hustles and fights every minute of the game. Rutgers has my respect.

Good synopsis and overall current state of where things are with this team.

Got to have short memory and head on the road for back to back games. Hopefully we can figure out our shooting funk for some dudes and fix the free throw issue......

Great points. I hate to say but Morton is starting to remind me of Nojel Eastern with his limited offense.

Rutgers is a very well disciplined defensive team who hustles and fights every minute of the game. Rutgers has my respect.
Ethan needs to put up some shots, the one at the end of the first half was in and out, Purdue can’t afford to play 5 on 4 on the offensive end.

Ethan needs to put up some shots, the one at the end of the first half was in and out, Purdue can’t afford to play 5 on 4 on the offensive end.
Unfortunately even Morton seems he's at the point where he's surprised when a shot goes in. Newman is now shooting with confidence and while not the defender Morton is, there's not that big of a separation. Newman is risky with the ball and not a great passer but for a team struggling to make shots, Painter might need to make that trade off.

I know Painter doesn't care what I think, so all I can do is guess what he'll do (just for fun)!

Here's my guess. I think Painter will hesitate to go away from his current rotation because it worked against some really good teams back in November, but if we lose one of the next two games he may tweak the rotation by giving Newman more minutes, I don't know if it will be as a starter or whose minutes he'll take (Morton's or Loyer's) but that's my guess.

Unfortunately even Morton seems he's at the point where he's surprised when a shot goes in. Newman is now shooting with confidence and while not the defender Morton is, there's not that big of a separation. Newman is risky with the ball and not a great passer but for a team struggling to make shots, Painter might need to make that trade off.
I hope you're kidding when you say there is not that big of separation between Newman's D & Morton's D. They are worlds apart.

Just for reference - from last night.

Purdue's minutes distribution:

Braden Smith - 30
Zach Edey - 28
Fletcher Loyer - 27
Ethan Morton - 25
Brandon Newman - 23
Mason Gillis - 21
Caleb Furst - 19
David Jenkins, Jr. - 14
Trey Kaufman-Renn - 13

Painter acknowledges almost every game the logjam at the 4, and that each of these guys probably deserves more in general, but what can you do? It's a good thing and a bad thing. ZE probably would have played 35+ (based on the match-up) if not for the foul trouble.

Have at it.

I hope you're kidding when you say there is not that big of separation between Newman's D & Morton's D. They are worlds apart.
I disagree. I think Newman has embraced the D some. No, he's not as good a defender at Morton, but it's not like he's Sasha either. Newman has shown a willingness this year to go after rebounds an mix it up in the paint.

I am really enjoying this year’s team. Are any of these guys perfect? No. Matt has to do the best job he can to put what he feels are the best players in the game, for what he either needs or is looking for at the time. Sometimes the players execute well and make themselves and Matt look good, and sometimes not. They were not going to win them all, home or away. On to Thursday night in CBus.

Fair points, Lenny.....Happy New Year!

Rutgers certainly has Purdue's number right now - probably better defensively this year than last year.....and Painter said it last year that Mulcahy is a potentially next-level player.

Braden Smith will learn - I think this will tick him off, and he will respond - Painter even mentioned him in post game (and he usually doesn't do that)......but he knows Smith is a big key and his floor general.

Morton will still play a ton for his defense as long as he makes smart decisions with the ball on offense, break-down on the last defensive possession notwithstanding....he will still hit some big shots down the line in my view (DISCLAIMER - Black and Old Gold Vision enhanced. :) )

I think Fletcher Loyer can get his own shot, but he's still raw and figuring that out. Mr. Smith can too, or can penetrate and dish - tougher to do that against Rutgers, though.

Disappointing loss for sure - not totally surprised......no rest for the weary....two tough ones coming up, and the Boilers definitely need to put this behind them. Rutgers could easily be 3-0 in league play except for Ohio State getting a break at the end. Huge games coming up as the Boilers could suddenly be a couple of games down in the loss column......it's a grind and 10-week battle.

Also - for anyone interested - listen to Matt Painter's post game comments - he doesn't care what anyone else thinks, especially the media, alums, or fans when it comes to basketball games and coaching decisions (his coaching staff). Starts from a discussion around 11:15 below and includes distractions (#1-ranking, etc.). If he can get the team to block out the distractions and focus on the task at hand, that will help I think. I know there's plenty that don't like him or that he should change/loosen up (to each his own)......but he is as candid/transparent and as direct a coach as you'll find out there.

JMHO

Tex, I like CMP very much and have said so many times on here. But let's be honest, he can be comfortable in saying whatever he wants including not caring what anybody thinks because he has about as much job security as any coach in D1. Doesn't mean he's right, but it's easy to be candid/transparent when there are no consequences.

Tex, I like CMP very much and have said so many times on here. But let's be honest, he can be comfortable in saying whatever he wants including not caring what anybody thinks because he has about as much job security as any coach in D1. Doesn't mean he's right, but it's easy to be candid/transparent when there are no consequences.

I appreciate the perspective Dry.....don't disagree about the job security, but I also think that doesn't matter for him - Painter is just that type of guy/personality.....perhaps sometimes to his detriment. He will be blunt and direct maybe when most think he shouldn't be. JMHO

even as badly as we played, if we hit our free throws, we win. simple as that. just like the virginia game where we needed one ft to get to the final four, free throws cant be guarded and we should never shoot 68 percent as a team

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT