ADVERTISEMENT

This weekends visitors May 29-31

StickPurdue

Junior
Sep 17, 2016
Indianapolis
This weekend was dominated by basketball, but there were several visitors on campus for football. I think somebody requested it, so I thought I would track down what I could. I may have missed some, but in fairness, there were a loooooot.

Here is what I found as the visitors from twitter:

Michael Redding III: though it will tough to get him away from them. Had some cousins play for them and he is very very high on FSU. But his twitter post for Purdue is encouraging: “this is the move, y’all better hop on the train. Boiler up”

Redding is a 6’2 190 WR, top 200 composite WR out of IMG academy in Florida. @ redding3 is his twitter.

Miyan William 5’10 210 3* RB out of Cincinnati Ohio. Had a CB pick for OSU. @ glomannyy is his twitter. Said he had a great visit.

Reggie Love 5’10 190 3* top 500 RB out of St Louis Missouri. @ Reggie22x is his twitter. Posted pictures and said he had a hell of time.

TJ Rush 6’00 Safety out of Saint Louis Missouri. An Illinois target (no offer yet), but does hold some mid major offers and one from West Virginia. Not ranked yet in the composite, but 247 lists him as a top 1200 talent. @ tjaayupnow.

Lawaun Powell top 700 5’11 190 WR out of East Saint Louis MO. Offers from Illinois, Kentucky, Iowa State, and Nebraska. Said he had an amazing visit. @ waunn2x.

Devell Washington top 600 6’4 200 WR out of Michigan. Offers from Michigan, Michigan State, OSU, and Purdue. Also has a CB pick for Purdue (25%). Said he had a great visit. @ devellwashingt2.

Xander Mueller 6’3 210 OLB out of Illinois. Not currently ranked but has some mid-major offers. Said he had a great visit. @ xandermueller13.

Antonio Stevens 6’2 185 top 1000 safety of out Tennessee. Dajoun Hewitt was tweeting him and Garnett Hollis. Said Purdue was a special place @ _youngking3.

Garnett Hollis 6’1 185 top 1000 CB out of Tennessee. Seems to be friends with Hewitt and Stevens. Could see them as a package deal. Said Purdue was something crucial. @ garnetthollis.

Kevo Wesley 6’5 260 top 700 OT out of Illinois. He is a big dude and Purdue is going to need good OL help. Illinois, Arizona, Boston College offers. @ 52dripz

Ty Berrong 6’2 220 OLB out of Florida, top 400. A very very important target. We should want this dude and we should want this dude bad. I think we made an impression with him though. We made his top 10, so that helps.
@berrong_ty

Marcus Haper II “Big Mark”. Dude is an absolute beast! Seems to be close with Henning, Kevo Wesley, and Quadre Nocholson. 6’4 290 OG out of Chicago. He is close to the top of my wishlist. Offers from Nebraska, Iowa State, Illinois, and Boston College. @ marcus2_h.

Quadre Nicholson 6’00 186 top 1100 RB out of Illinois. Friends with Big Mark. Offers from Cincy, Illinois, Duke, Kentucky, and Iowa. @ kingdre2001

Josh Priebe 6’5 265 top 700 OT out of Michigan. Offers from Michigan, Michigan State, Duke, Boston College. @ Priebejosh

Tee Hodge 6’2 230 rival 4* RB (crystal ball for Tennessee) top 400 3* on 247 out of Tennessee. Lots of high major offers. Read he has a 4.47 40, at that size is ridiculous. @ tdoth44

AJ Davis 5’10 175 top 1200 WR out of Tennessee. Has some mid-major offers so far. @ ajdavis1321 (edit forgot his twitter handle)

(Edit)
Looks like Maliq Carr may have been up again with his brother Jeremia Beasley, class of 24. Side note, Maliq Carr was just voted the WR MVP at the Opening Regional in Ohio. Michigan had a lot of folks take their positional MVP in the Opening. I said earlier, that state is very important this year. @ carrmaliq

(Edit Edit)
Looks like I missed Daved Jones 6’2 200 top 800 ILB out of Ohio. Steven Faucheux tweeted at him crooting him to make that move. Offers from Louisville, Kentucky, Cincinnati, and Minnesota. @ mr_jones0001

(Edit Edit Edit)
Marquis Munoz, unranked RB out of Lafayette. @ marquis32_m.

(Edit Edit Edit Edit)
James Frenchie, 5’9 175 4* top 250 WR out of Missouri. Got an offer back in January. Looks like they brought a ton of Missouri talent in for the weekend. @ jay_dakidd01. He retweeted Reggie Love’s Purdue photo.

Miquan Grace, 5’11 190 top 1700 DB out of Cincinnati. He had been on a bunch of visits. Not sure who has actually offered him though. @ Miquangrace4.

(Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit) (I credit the last 3 I missed to ISC Purdue. They are an up and coming source of Purdue information. Good follow and have some good writers. They can be found at @ISC_Purdue if you Twitter. They had a thread with a bunch of the visitors. I found most, but a few slipped through the cracks).

Terah Edwards. Not sure how I missed this guy. He is huge 6’4 305 top 1000 OG out of Ohio. @ light_work_

Careington Valentine 6’00 180 top 900 out of DB. I have seen his name pop up a few different times. Definitely one to watch. @ run_carri7.

Jason Eaton. Another huge dude. 6’6 320 top 1100 OT out of Tennessee. @ jasoneaton71.

Last edited:
Thanks as always Stick. Would be great to get into IMG Academy. One of the three best football HSs in the country. Tell me, has CJB signed a player yet outta FL since he’s been here?

Thanks as always Stick. Would be great to get into IMG Academy. One of the three best football HSs in the country. Tell me, has CJB signed a player yet outta FL since he’s been here?

2019 was mostly Midwest guys and none from Florida.

Ja’quarious “Jack” Smith OLB from the 2018 class is out of Lakeland Florida.

Willie Lane DT 2018 out of WinterHaven Florida.

Due to the coaching change I will specify which he recruited.

Dedrick Mackey is out of Miami, CB 2017. Brohm didn’t recruit him, but was able to retain him when he took over. (Not a Brohm Guy).

Cornell Jones is out of Miami 2017. (Brohm Guy)

Tobias Larry out of Lakeland, 2017. (Brohm Guy)

Victor Beach Ft Meyer, 2017 (Brohm Guy)

Robert McWilliams (Brohm Guy) and Griffin Alstott (not a Brohm Guy, but a legacy.) were also out of Florida in that 2017 class.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
Boiler Desmond Tardy is a coach there. Hopefully he can point a few this direction.

How much do you go in for Henning and his friends? Do you pass on other players with lesser talent who are ready to commit now? Or do you wait it out and hope to strike it rich and add his friend at RB and ot shaper as sort of a package deal?

I like package deals but I'm not sure how long to wait.

How much do you go in for Henning and his friends? Do you pass on other players with lesser talent who are ready to commit now? Or do you wait it out and hope to strike it rich and add his friend at RB and ot shaper as sort of a package deal?

I like package deals but I'm not sure how long to wait.

I love Henning and the opportunity to pair him with Jadon Thompson is huge. Especially if that helps with Big Mark, Kevo, or Denver Warren. I think in this case, if a WR comes to you and says they want to commit, you reach out to Thompson and give him a chance to commit first or try and lean on him for an early commitment depending on who it is. If it’s Carr or Trouble you take them right away as the Michigan (Rogers, Paige, Boone and Trouble and Carr want to play together) pull is slightly more valuable than Illinois in my opinion. A bird in the hand may be worth two in the bush at this point as the talent is all so close.

I don’t have any personal knowledge on how Brohm feels or what his “draft board” looks like. As more of the camps happen, the evaluation of the recruits become a little more clear. Carr looks like he may be vastly underrated based on how he performed at the opening. Michigan players had some of the best performances, so I think you look there hard. I do think Purdue is going to be and has the ability to be picky in some positions (WR mostly. Brohm is in on several extremely talented WRs and will likely only take 2.) They can be patient and I think they have to be with the number of available spots. I think that is going to be a huge selling point and I think we will be very close to full in June and I think we get our first WR commit before June. With maybe one or two spots held for the Justin Rogers’ of the world. Once the first WR is on the board, the other dominos should fall quickly. I should be a real fun spring/summer.

By the way, I was really happy to do this post. It kept me from thinking about how the opportunity to go to a basketball championship was literally a freethrow away. The spring and summer should have plenty of football news to keep everybody occupied and happy. It was a huge weekend for Purdue football, and believe it or not, the basketball success helped. Hodges even tweeted a thank you out to the basketball team and for what it did with recruiting. Purdue is becoming a destination in both sports and the students are the real winners as a result. MBob gets it and Purdue is lucky to have him. Really the only question mark out there for the major athletics is WBB. And I think we see a change coming up.

Jutahn McClain is coming up. Big time RB target. Top 400 5’10 180 RB out of Ohio. @ jmclain0202.

Also the mystery high priority QB. As most of the targets come from the same state together on these visits, I am guessing it could be Evan Prater. I put this in another thread, but it makes sense here to. Prater is a 6’5 dual threat QB out of Ohio. Hodges hinted he would be trying to get a commitment tomorrow from a QB and Hodges had the ties to Ohio from being at OSU. He would be my guess on the mystory visitor. @ evan_prater.

Also I have made several updates to the original post. It was a massive weekend for visitors.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
I thought they had said the WR from Louisville Male HS was going to come in last weekend. Maybe he moved his visit to this weekend?

Would really like to see some of the 4* start committing. I know this class is going to be small. As small as 18 possibly?? The trend seems to be saving some for the grad transfer market. Purdue is ranked #34 with the 3 we have now. Iowa is at #15 with 8 commits. There are 4 five star guys committed that I can find. Ala/OSU/Stanford/LSU have those. I’m ready for our big timers to start falling in to place. Gonna be a fun spring.

Would really like to see some of the 4* start committing. I know this class is going to be small. As small as 18 possibly?? The trend seems to be saving some for the grad transfer market. Purdue is ranked #34 with the 3 we have now. Iowa is at #15 with 8 commits. There are 4 five star guys committed that I can find. Ala/OSU/Stanford/LSU have those. I’m ready for our big timers to start falling in to place. Gonna be a fun spring.
Does anyone know the exact amount of scholarships available? I know it was 18 but I believe there have been a few players leave (if I’m remembering correctly). Then throw in the blue shirt/grey shirt/ grad transfer situation. It gets very difficult to keep track of.

Does anyone know the exact amount of scholarships available? I know it was 18 but I believe there have been a few players leave (if I’m remembering correctly). Then throw in the blue shirt/grey shirt/ grad transfer situation. It gets very difficult to keep track of.
Walhberg and Triplett will count against the 25. Any grad transfers we bring in after Holt will count against that number as well.

Do we have 25 open scholarships? I believe the total number you can have is 85.
There are two limits. The 85 overall scholarship limit. There is also a cap on the number of signings for any class, which is 25.

Im not worried about the 85 schollie limit.

So, with all the departures, this class could be bigger than anticipated but not larger than 25.

There are two limits. The 85 overall scholarship limit. There is also a cap on the number of signings for any class, which is 25.

Im not worried about the 85 schollie limit.

We won’t be hitting that 25 unless there is a max exodus. That is extremely unlikely at this point for this year. The 85 limit will be the one keeping the class smaller.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2019...due-football-recruiting-jared-bycznski-commit

This article has a scholarship breakdown. Even with 2 scholarships counting against the 25 count and any grad transfers, Purdue will come nowhere close to that 25. 12 spots remaining. Got to figure that Purdue will likely add 1-3 DB, 1-2 LB, 2-4 DL, 2 WR, 1 QB, 1-2 RB, possibly 1 TE, 1-2 OL, 1 kicker (possibly a walk on). The question is, how many will be grad transfers? Could use immediate help/depth at DT/OL.

I have said it before, but Purdue can be picky and use the limited space as a big recruiting tool. If you look at Hodges, he is using that exact tactic. I don’t think Purdue will store any scholarships and wait for players like it has done in the last two years. Just don’t have the room for it.

Reactions: Tommaker
We won’t be hitting that 25 unless there is a max exodus. That is extremely unlikely at this point for this year. The 85 limit will be the one keeping the class smaller.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2019...due-football-recruiting-jared-bycznski-commit

This article has a scholarship breakdown. Even with 2 scholarships counting against the 25 count and any grad transfers, Purdue will come nowhere close to that 25. 12 spots remaining. Got to figure that Purdue will likely add 1-3 DB, 1-2 LB, 2-4 DL, 2 WR, 1 QB, 1-2 RB, possibly 1 TE, 1-2 OL, 1 kicker (possibly a walk on). The question is, how many will be grad transfers? Could use immediate help/depth at DT/OL.

I have said it before, but Purdue can be picky and use the limited space as a big recruiting tool. If you look at Hodges, he is using that exact tactic. I don’t think Purdue will store any scholarships and wait for players like it has done in the last two years. Just don’t have the room for it.
At this point last year, we only had 13 open schollies. Things change and people leave.

At this point last year, we only had 13 open schollies. Things change and people leave.

Yes, but the vast majority of folks on the team are Brohm guys. That was not the case last year. There will be some attrition with grades and such, but I would be surprised if it is more than 5. I would guess 17 more spots. 2-3 of those will be filled by grad transfers (hopefully). Last year around this same time there were guys that everybody knew wouldn’t be back. I haven’t heard much talk about that this year.

Maybe a WR or 2 will leave when they realize they can’t make it and maybe a handful won’t make the grades.

I still anticipate 1-2 WRs will transfer once they look at the depth chart and see the talent coming in. We had several quality receivers redshirt last year. this Spring is their chance to make an impression. Those that do will stay. but those who are no better than 6th before our heralded freshmen arrive this Summer, will start looking elsewhere.

I have the same belief for our DBs. We have an abundance of Dbs and some better ones about to arrive. 1-2 current ones will probably be looking elsewhere.

Jutahn McClain is coming up. Big time RB target. Top 400 5’10 180 RB out of Ohio. @ jmclain0202.

Also the mystery high priority QB. As most of the targets come from the same state together on these visits, I am guessing it could be Evan Prater. I put this in another thread, but it makes sense here to. Prater is a 6’5 dual threat QB out of Ohio. Hodges hinted he would be trying to get a commitment tomorrow from a QB and Hodges had the ties to Ohio from being at OSU. He would be my guess on the mystory visitor. @ evan_prater.

Also I have made several updates to the original post. It was a massive weekend for visitors.

Mike Carmin confirmed, Prater was on campus today. No bat signal and nothing from Prater or McClain. Also stated Gage Keys, 6’5 240 top 1300 DE out of Ohio was there as well. Keys has an offer from Cincinnati as his best offer then several other mid-major offers. Didn’t mention McClain, but McClain said he would be there via twitter yesterday. @ 5100keys.

Last edited:
Reactions: boilerbusdriver
some related info from 24/7.

Van Dyke received an offer from UCLA earlier in March , 2019. Obviously, they were looking at Van Dyke or McQuarrie. Van Dyke's crystal ball changed to 50/50 UW/ Syracuse.

As for Evan Prater, on the 24/7 target page, he's listed among the dual threat QBs, which seemed kind of odd for Purdue to be pursing him. but lower on his personal bio page, he's listed as Pro Style QB which would match Purdue's interest.

McClain would be a dream come true. but there is some very stiff competition for his services.

some related info from 24/7.

Van Dyke received an offer from UCLA earlier in March , 2019. Obviously, they were looking at Van Dyke or McQuarrie. Van Dyke's crystal ball changed to 50/50 UW/ Syracuse.

As for Evan Prater, on the 24/7 target page, he's listed among the dual threat QBs, which seemed kind of odd for Purdue to be pursing him. but lower on his personal bio page, he's listed as Pro Style QB which would match Purdue's interest.

McClain would be a dream come true. but there is some very stiff competition for his services.
I was impressed with McClain’s video also. He was impossible to catch. I’m thinking he and Henning are pretty even.

ADVERTISEMENT