ADVERTISEMENT

This seems odd.

mk_peters

All-American
Aug 9, 2004
First, we learned this:
One subject that Steele is believed to have discussed with Mueller’s investigators is a memo that he wrote in late November, 2016, after his contract with Fusion had ended. This memo, which did not surface publicly with the others, is shorter than the rest, and is based on one source, described as “a senior Russian official.” The official said that he was merely relaying talk circulating in the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but what he’d heard was astonishing: people were saying that the Kremlin had intervened to block Trump’s initial choice for Secretary of State, Mitt Romney. (During Romney’s run for the White House in 2012, he was notably hawkish on Russia, calling it the single greatest threat to the U.S.) The memo said that the Kremlin, through unspecified channels, had asked Trump to appoint someone who would be prepared to lift Ukraine-related sanctions, and who would coöperate on security issues of interest to Russia, such as the conflict in Syria. If what the source heard was true, then a foreign power was exercising pivotal influence over U.S. foreign policy—and an incoming President.

As fantastical as the memo sounds, subsequent events could be said to support it. In a humiliating public spectacle, Trump dangled the post before Romney until early December, then rejected him. There are plenty of domestic political reasons that Trump may have turned against Romney. Trump loyalists, for instance, noted Romney’s public opposition to Trump during the campaign. Roger Stone, the longtime Trump aide, has suggested that Trump was vengefully tormenting Romney, and had never seriously considered him. (Romney declined to comment. The White House said that he was never a first choice for the role and declined to comment about any communications that the Trump team may have had with Russia on the subject.) In any case, on December 13, 2016, Trump gave Rex Tillerson, the C.E.O. of ExxonMobil, the job. The choice was a surprise to most, and a happy one in Moscow, because Tillerson’s business ties with the Kremlin were long-standing and warm. (In 2011, he brokered a historic partnership between ExxonMobil and Rosneft.) After the election, Congress imposed additional sanctions on Russia, in retaliation for its interference, but Trump and Tillerson have resisted enacting them.

This week, we learned this:

37. On November 11,2016, BUTINA sent the RUSSIAN OFFICIAL a direct message via Twitter, in which she predicted who might be named Secretary of State and asked the RUSSIAN OFFICIAL to find out how "our people" felt about that potential nomination.

Someone should look into this.

So they only get one? Hell Trump will have at least two new ones before labor day.
oh i don't mind a good conspiracy theory, but I don't want to hear from the people who bitch about them all the time as if clothed in a virtuous robe.

yep they went through Butina to OK the SoS choice with Putin...LOL i never want to hear another word from you dopes about conspiracy theories.
You're probably right -- it's just a coincidence. The campaign probably would have just picked up the phone and called Putin if they really wanted his input. Why use a backchannel when you can call direct, I always say.

You're probably right -- it's just a coincidence. The campaign probably would have just picked up the phone and called Putin if they really wanted his input. Why use a backchannel when you can call direct, I always say.
putin's puppet. just ask hillary. she never lies.

yep they went through Butina to OK the SoS choice with Putin...LOL i never want to hear another word from you dopes about conspiracy theories.
It seems like only yesterday you guys were laughing off the Russia/NRA connections. Then Butina gets arrested and we get proof through the indictment.

Isn't it fascinating that some are still trying to corroborate the discredited, phony dossier?

When Jim Jordan and that other guy finally expose the vast conspiracy against Trump, I Hope they make the deep state pay!

It seems like only yesterday you guys were laughing off the Russia/NRA connections. Then Butina gets arrested and we get proof through the indictment.
proof of what? that she scammed people? If there were knowing/willing American participants, they should be arrested too.

Reactions: ecouch
Isn't it fascinating that some are still trying to corroborate the discredited, phony dossier?

When Jim Jordan and that other guy finally expose the vast conspiracy against Trump, I Hope they make the deep state pay!
I sure wish that those that call it a discredited and phone dossier would point out what parts of it have been discredited or shown as phony? More and more evidence comes out corroborating what was in the dossier. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that nothing has been proven wrong in the dossier. Many claims have been proven correct while those remaining have not been proven either way at this point.

Reactions: mk_peters
I sure wish that those that call it a discredited and phone dossier would point out what parts of it have been discredited or shown as phony? More and more evidence comes out corroborating what was in the dossier. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that nothing has been proven wrong in the dossier. Many claims have been proven correct while those remaining have not been proven either way at this point.
this was not part of the original dossier...thanks.

oh i don't mind a good conspiracy theory, but I don't want to hear from the people who bitch about them all the time as if clothed in a virtuous robe.
Any search for answers starts with theories.

This one, however, as we can see by the 12 Russian indictments, looks to be about a conspiracy, and that means there are probably others involved than just the 12 Russians.

I’m no expert but I would guess there are more out there who will be indicted in the day, weeks, months ahead, people who can be brought before a US court and that the 12 that will never be brought before a US court were indicted because it looks better than listing them as an unindicted co-conspirators.

Now, this stuff with Butina looks to be heading more to truth than two cheating lovers personal text being proof of an inability to professionally and dispassionately do a job as well as a sign of institutional bias.

Reactions: indy35
Clinton paid for it.

Any search for answers starts with theories.

This one, however, as we can see by the 12 Russian indictments, looks to be about a conspiracy, and that means there are probably others involved than just the 12 Russians.

I’m no expert but I would guess there are more out there who will be indicted in the day, weeks, months ahead, people who can be brought before a US court and that the 12 that will never be brought before a US court were indicted because it looks better than listing them as an unindicted co-conspirators.

Now, this stuff with Butina looks to be heading more to truth than two cheating lovers personal text being proof of an inability to professionally and dispassionately do a job as well as a sign of institutional bias.

Well, like Trump says, it could have been anybody. Glad you agree. TIC

I would be shocked if there were more people involved in addition to the 12 Russians, and they did not relocate to a country without an extradition treaty.

Now, this stuff with Butina looks to be heading more to truth than two cheating lovers personal text being proof of an inability to professionally and dispassionately do a job as well as a sign of institutional bias

http://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/39...e-in-russia-probe-should-alarm-every-american

Maybe, maybe not.

Anyway, pretty obvious to most that Russia meddled in election. Again, nothing new and they are not stopping anytime soon. At this point, if Mueller has something on Trump/collusion/Russia has something on him, I think he needs to let it out. Especially with the alleged agreements and future summit plans between Putin/Trump.

There can be Americans involved in the conspiracy, maybe even one or more Mueller already has.

I've felt all along Trump personally wasn't part of any coordination with Russian, and nothing he has done since this started changes why I feel that way. He is impulsive, opportunistic, he doesn't plan, he reacts relying on instinct not a thought out strategy. IMO not the type of personality to plan out and execute a complicated conspiracy.

I don't think his campaign was sophisticated enough to have devised a plan to work with Russia either.

That doesn't mean that no one in the campaign or near Trump couldn't have been sought out by Russia and used.

With the conspiracy charges it would seem that this isn't going to become Whitewater. And when/if Trump is cleared it wouldn't mean the investigation wasn't warranted. If it weren't for Trump talking about it so much, I doubt many would even know it was going on.

Reactions: Purdue97
well you left out the part where their boss and bosses boss got fired. the leaking to the press. Hillary funding their bosses wife's campaign...ya just some texts. holy shit.

well you left out the part where their boss and bosses boss got fired. the leaking to the press. Hillary funding their bosses wife's campaign...ya just some texts. holy shit.

This is false, again and again we're forced to provide facts to you guys on the right. When in the world will you learn?

dude...just because there's one degree of separation from a super pac doesn't make it false.
Surely you've got receipts showing that Clinton sent all that money to Terry McCauliffe, then his PAC sent the money to McCabe right? The PAC sent the money before McCabe was promoted to deputy director. You guys try to create all kinds of connections that aren't there, but will ignore hard evidence right in front of your face. It's not surprising of the party that denies science and believes trickle down economics works in any capacity. At some point you just have to realize that you're wrong right? Hopefully logic can penetrate the right wing media bubble or our country is in even bigger trouble.

Surely you've got receipts showing that Clinton sent all that money to Terry McCauliffe, then his PAC sent the money to McCabe right? The PAC sent the money before McCabe was promoted to deputy director. You guys try to create all kinds of connections that aren't there, but will ignore hard evidence right in front of your face. It's not surprising of the party that denies science and believes trickle down economics works in any capacity. At some point you just have to realize that you're wrong right? Hopefully logic can penetrate the right wing media bubble or our country is in even bigger trouble.
you can spin it however you want. they're all fired now.

Hillary didn't fund McCabe's wife's campaign. And what if she did? Laws broken? ANY association means there is malfeasance? Do those rules apply to Trump too?

Trump fired Comey, we all know why. McCabe lied, does that mean mean he's involved in something more? Again, do these rules of guilt by association apply to Trump or just to dems?

I no longer know what to believe. It is interesting that George Will thinks that Trump colluded with Russia. He is generally in the know and has sources that appear to be "insiders". Trump's behavior with regard to Russia is puzzling and makes me think there is something going on but that may be because Russia has something on Trump????

There can be Americans involved in the conspiracy, maybe even one or more Mueller already has.

I've felt all along Trump personally wasn't part of any coordination with Russian, and nothing he has done since this started changes why I feel that way. He is impulsive, opportunistic, he doesn't plan, he reacts relying on instinct not a thought out strategy. IMO not the type of personality to plan out and execute a complicated conspiracy.

I don't think his campaign was sophisticated enough to have devised a plan to work with Russia either.

That doesn't mean that no one in the campaign or near Trump couldn't have been sought out by Russia and used.

With the conspiracy charges it would seem that this isn't going to become Whitewater. And when/if Trump is cleared it wouldn't mean the investigation wasn't warranted. If it weren't for Trump talking about it so much, I doubt many would even know it was going on.

Trump is his own worst enemy a lot of he time.

As far as the Trump campaign as a whole not being sophisticated enough to carry something like this out I tend to agree. That said, after looking into Manafort a bit, my gut says he was both sophisticated enough, tried to, and did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT