ADVERTISEMENT

This past years teams against other teams we’ve played in years past

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
A post on KC had me watching 04 Michigan vs Purdue.. where Bryant got blown up by Ernie Shazor.

once I had occasion to watch that, I’m sorry, I just can’t picture the 21 Boilers losing that game. The DTs alone were so much better ..

F it, it’s the off-season, your thoughts ?

A post on KC had me watching 04 Michigan vs Purdue.. where Bryant got blown up by Ernie Shazor.

once I had occasion to watch that, I’m sorry, I just can’t picture the 21 Boilers losing that game. The DTs alone were so much better ..

F it, it’s the off-season, your thoughts ?
My thoughts are my how times have changed. If that game was played today, all the replays of the Shazor hit would be for a targeting review, not to revel in how great of a play it was.

Reactions: pboiler18
Yeah this game was an odd one to me back in the day. Remembered that Bryant fumble for awhile. IIRC, this was the game right after THE FUMBLE from Orton.

Then we ended up losing a string of close ones.

Looking at who is playing Defense for us in this game, even at 7-5 wr might have overachieved!

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Yeah this game was an odd one to me back in the day. Remembered that Bryant fumble for awhile. IIRC, this was the game right after THE FUMBLE from Orton.

Then we ended up losing a string of close ones.

Looking at who is playing Defense for us in this game, even at 7-5 wr might have overachieved!
Thats why i never put much belief in the fumble being the downfall of the program. That team was extremely flawed. Anyone who didnt see it is either misremembering or is an idiot.

2003 loss in the shoe was the program changer.

Thats why i never put much belief in the fumble being the downfall of the program. That team was extremely flawed. Anyone who didnt see it is either misremembering or is an idiot.

That 04 defense was just giving up runs over the right side all day in that video. I think Branson Deen, KD and Graham would have done a much better job on hart

That 04 defense was just giving up runs over the right side all day in that video. I think Branson Deen, KD and Graham would have done a much better job on hart
Michigan had a good line. My guess is it probably looks like the Wisconsin game from this year

Michigan had a good line. My guess is it probably looks like the Wisconsin game from this year
No way .. our DTs weren’t very good and linebackers sloppy. If that team held them to 14 we might have gone 7. Definitely more crisp getting off the field 😁

KD isn’t better than George hall. Just isn’t asked to do as much

deen isnt okay against the run. He is a plus player against the pass

KD isn’t better than George hall. Just isn’t asked to do as much

deen isnt okay against the run. He is a plus player against the pass
I think because he isn’t asked to do as much he’d Have been much better v hart. Deen not great but nowhere near as bad between he and Johnson as Grover and villareal.. mostly because I believe that they had no backup. Plus this years team had demarje. But really those plays wouldn’t have broke that far out because of Graham and the dude from Kansas

this years offense be just than that one. Can’t hold David bell ..

I think because he isn’t asked to do as much he’d Have been much better v hart. Deen not great but nowhere near as bad between he and Johnson as Grover and villareal.. mostly because I believe that they had no backup. Plus this years team had demarje. But really those plays wouldn’t have broke that far out because of Graham and the dude from Kansas

this years offense be just than that one. Can’t hold David bell ..
Villareal played in the NFL. Grover would have but for the injuries.

Villareal played in the NFL. Grover would have but for the injuries.
So did ryan Russell and it looks like so will Louisiana tech .. but yeah it could have been because we had no one to spell him.

last years D also had zero players anywhere near as low caliber is Kyle smith. Remember this spring when it was big news that QBs were Getting run at corner. That year we started one at safety and he was in that 38 vicinity

So did ryan Russell and it looks like so will Louisiana tech .. but yeah it could have been because we had no one to spell him.

last years D also had zero players anywhere near as low caliber is Kyle smith. Remember this spring when it was big news that QBs were Getting run at corner. That year we started one at safety and he was in that 38 vicinity
He was better than 38. Not by much though.

I agree. The shoe game was huge. Win that game it’s 2 Big Ten titles in 4 years and I think the team was a bit more set recruiting moving forward.

I think the fumble game (call this Fumble Part 2) wasn’t the start of the slide but it sure helped bring it about more quickly. You are right that we were exposed, especially on D but I’d also argue on defense that even though compared to some of Tillers it wasn’t great we’d have killed to have a defense like that at any point between 2005-maybe last year.

I also think no Orton fumble, maybe psyche is a bit stronger in this one and we don’t lose close and late. 7-0 going into 2 games that weren’t THAT tough and we still lost close….

Oh what could have been….

After reading more of the comments I will say Michigan had a great line and Hart is historically very underrated. Didn’t have the size or really top end speed to make the NFL but if I had to pick out the 10 top backs of the BIG in the past 20 years I think he’d be the Michigan rep on my list.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT