ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking more in to this season...

JohnnyDoeBoiler

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
West Lafayette
This year is probably a better reflection of the talent in the program vs. last year. Remember, many of these guys now starting we’re the backups to those who left when....there was no depth last season. That being said, there has been a maddening amount of inconsistent play where Purdue should have won games:

NU: Sindelar’s 3 int half and poor defense
EMU: conservative playcalling and poor defense
Missouri: Poor defense
MSU: poor offensive effort all around
Minny: the entire team no-showed
Whisky: Poor defense and poor play calling in specific situations

If the defense was some what average, Purdue likely wins three more games at this point in the season (EMU, Missouri, Whisky). This is also the side of the ball with the weakest depth (DL and safety) along with the overall weakest position group this season (CB). When you add that up, it is obvious why this unit has struggled with above average offensive teams (NU, Missouri, Whisky, and yes Minny). Those teams offensive strengths played more in to the weaknesses that Purdue has.

Next year, there is a very good chance we as fans will see two new safeties, a new DE, a new DT, new CB’s, and a new LB starting next season. Those players will all be upgrades from the players currently starting on defense (I’m sorry if that seems harsh but it is the truth to think GK will be better after a spring and fall camp for example). The defense will again be green but they will have a higher ceiling of ability to achieve better results on that side of the ball. When the younger Thieneman is the best option at FS against Wisconsin, you know what happened tonight was a distinct possibility.

On the offensive side of the ball, it was about finishing drives and that is something that has plagued this team at times. They will lose all three interior lineman, Blough, and the two wide receivers. I would argue that beyond the two guards and Barron, it could be an uptick in skill and ceiling as well. But there is definite known talent to work with in Beach, Sindelar, and the fact Brohm has shown freshman skill players can have success in his offense...Bell and Wright are simply upgrades from Terry Wright and Zico (maybe not at the start of the season but they will be by the end).

These factors are what I believe pull Brohm back to Purdue. He sees HIS players finally coming in to focus as the foundation of his program. He sees the talent and the depth finally getting to a point where he can do and call a game the way he intends without worry of errror or energy. At UofL, it is very clear it could be another total rebuild as it isn’t just a skill level issue but a total culture issue there with a clear lack of effort, imo. Does Brohm want to have to go through that type of rebuild two years later after finally getting his true stamp on the program at Purdue?

I say no. I will also hold on to the thought that Brohm is using this as a way to secure David Bell (who Brohm may see as inherently necessary to his success as Rondale Moore). I will guarenter this: if Brohm announces he will be staying at Purdue, January 5th David Bell will pick up a Purdue hat while at his All Star game...and the class will easily be a top 20 class when it is all said and done. That is something that may not be replicated at UofL for another 3 years.

Agree. We're just not where we need to be in the trenches. Brohm is bringing in guys. Probably will need to rely heavily on offense the first part of the season though.

Reactions: SKYDOG
This year is probably a better reflection of the talent in the program vs. last year. Remember, many of these guys now starting we’re the backups to those who left when....there was no depth last season. That being said, there has been a maddening amount of inconsistent play where Purdue should have won games:

If the defense was some what average, Purdue likely wins three more games at this point in the season (EMU, Missouri, Whisky). This is also the side of the ball with the weakest depth (DL and safety) along with the overall weakest position group this season (CB). When you add that up, it is obvious why this unit has struggled with above average offensive teams (NU, Missouri, Whisky, and yes Minny). Those teams offensive strengths played more in to the weaknesses that Purdue has.

Next year, there is a very good chance we as fans will see two new safeties, a new DE, a new DT, new CB’s, and a new LB starting next season. Those players will all be upgrades from the players currently starting on defense (I’m sorry if that seems harsh but it is the truth to think GK will be better after a spring and fall camp for example). The defense will again be green but they will have a higher ceiling of ability to achieve better results on that side of the ball. When the younger Thieneman is the best option at FS against Wisconsin, you know what happened tonight was a distinct possibility.

On the offensive side of the ball, it was about finishing drives and that is something that has plagued this team at times. They will lose all three interior lineman, Blough, and the two wide receivers. I would argue that beyond the two guards and Barron, it could be an uptick in skill and ceiling as well. But there is definite known talent to work with in Beach, Sindelar, and the fact Brohm has shown freshman skill players can have success in his offense...Bell and Wright are simply upgrades from Terry Wright and Zico (maybe not at the start of the season but they will be by the end).

These factors are what I believe pull Brohm back to Purdue. He sees HIS players finally coming in to focus as the foundation of his program. He sees the talent and the depth finally getting to a point where he can do and call a game the way he intends without worry of errror or energy. At UofL, it is very clear it could be another total rebuild as it isn’t just a skill level issue but a total culture issue there with a clear lack of effort, imo. Does Brohm want to have to go through that type of rebuild two years later after finally getting his true stamp on the program at Purdue?

I say no. I will also hold on to the thought that Brohm is using this as a way to secure David Bell (who Brohm may see as inherently necessary to his success as Rondale Moore). I will guarenter this: if Brohm announces he will be staying at Purdue, January 5th David Bell will pick up a Purdue hat while at his All Star game...and the class will easily be a top 20 class when it is all said and done. That is something that may not be replicated at UofL for another 3 years.
MSU and Minnesota straight beat us. Missouri is pretty good, you give them that one. Really we might be 6-6 but if we don't beat ourselves, could be 9-3

This is your best posted yet. It’s well written and has good depth to it. I feel the same way because we will have major upgrades it almost every defense of position. Let’s not forget we have 2 FS’s Coming in from Detroit who are best friends And both highly rated chose to come here together because they are on a mission. The defensive lineman from West Chester Ohio is a “beast” who chose Purdue for a variety of reasons but my business partner happens to be his parents Best friend. My partner play college football as did both of his sons and he said we are getting an animal in Steve! Obviously we know all about Karlaftis as we are probably getting a more modern day version of Matt Mitrione. The corners are taller and faster and have more IQ.
QB might be interesting as let’s not count out Jack Plummer to be the starting quarterback. I felt the last couple of weeks that CJB saw no reason to put Elijah Sindelar into any of the games even for mop up duty to make that quote Horst want to run“. Next season The offensive line is going to be a significant upgrade, but look at the work that was done between the first two games in now but the coaching staff just to give David enough time to throw downfield. At running back we have coming in the highest rated running back in the history of the program and just watching his Twitter video on announcement day gave me chills. It wide receiver with her without David Bell we have probably the biggest upgraded wide receiver in the history of the program. We really don’t know about some wild cards although my guess is that there are players coming in who we will absolutely look back and say “holy cow, I didn’t see that coming“.
CJB Likes to win and does everything he can to win games. There’s no reason in the world he would leave with what he has put together, I think his coaching staff might lose faith in him because of all the work they have done and the hours and hours and hours they spent away from their families.
There is a human element here that everyone seems to be forgetting. You can only do so much “putting your nose to the grind stone 365 days of the year” it takes a toll on the family especially when there are kids involved. For all we know CJB S told his younger brother, Brian that what he is building at Purdue is going to be “his legacy” and that he is going to pass on the job and the next time it becomes open Brian will be ready to step into that role at UofL. Because with the lack of talent they have right now most likely the next head coach will struggle mightily and may even struggle to get recruits to come there. After all they are not luring talent with academics and that is one of the things that many of our top recruits pointed to as a reason they are choosing Purdue.

This is your best posted yet. It’s well written and has good depth to it. I feel the same way because we will have major upgrades it almost every defense of position. Let’s not forget we have 2 FS’s Coming in from Detroit who are best friends And both highly rated chose to come here together because they are on a mission. The defensive lineman from West Chester Ohio is a “beast” who chose Purdue for a variety of reasons but my business partner happens to be his parents Best friend. My partner play college football as did both of his sons and he said we are getting an animal in Steve! Obviously we know all about Karlaftis as we are probably getting a more modern day version of Matt Mitrione. The corners are taller and faster and have more IQ.
QB might be interesting as let’s not count out Jack Plummer to be the starting quarterback. I felt the last couple of weeks that CJB saw no reason to put Elijah Sindelar into any of the games even for mop up duty to make that quote Horst want to run“. Next season The offensive line is going to be a significant upgrade, but look at the work that was done between the first two games in now but the coaching staff just to give David enough time to throw downfield. At running back we have coming in the highest rated running back in the history of the program and just watching his Twitter video on announcement day gave me chills. It wide receiver with her without David Bell we have probably the biggest upgraded wide receiver in the history of the program. We really don’t know about some wild cards although my guess is that there are players coming in who we will absolutely look back and say “holy cow, I didn’t see that coming“.
CJB Likes to win and does everything he can to win games. There’s no reason in the world he would leave with what he has put together, I think his coaching staff might lose faith in him because of all the work they have done and the hours and hours and hours they spent away from their families.
There is a human element here that everyone seems to be forgetting. You can only do so much “putting your nose to the grind stone 365 days of the year” it takes a toll on the family especially when there are kids involved. For all we know CJB S told his younger brother, Brian that what he is building at Purdue is going to be “his legacy” and that he is going to pass on the job and the next time it becomes open Brian will be ready to step into that role at UofL. Because with the lack of talent they have right now most likely the next head coach will struggle mightily and may even struggle to get recruits to come there. After all they are not luring talent with academics and that is one of the things that many of our top recruits pointed to as a reason they are choosing Purdue.
Well said...............with a kid like RM to build your offense around (once in a lifetime player)and a stellar recruiting class coming in........makes no sense to leave.......

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I predicted 5-7 before the season, and the primary reason was the young and thin defense. Last year’s team was solidified by transfers, but you can’t build depth tying up scholarships with transfers every year. This year was about going with the four year guys and living with the growing pains. Even when we were winning I felt we were only one or two key injuries away from everything falling apart.

Now the good news is help is on the way. Perhaps less talent in the trenches than we’d like to see, but more than what’s currently on the field. We should be able to build depth to the point that we have a JT equivalent as a backup and a reliable depth at dtackle so we don’t have to give a guy like Neal 70 snaps.

The bad news is we are still at least a couple years away defensively. Expecting the 2019 recruits to contribute much before 2020 or 2021 is overly optimistic. They will take time to transform their bodies and adjust to the speed of the college game. Best case scenario is some of the 2018 guys have great off seasons and come in ready to play next fall. Marks, Alexander, Trice, Johnson, Ball, Smith. Several of these guys will need to take a step forward.

Last edited:
With our schedule, everyone expected us to take a step back this year, before we took steps foward. We knew the defense was going to take our lumps, and we have. The one negative with the defense that was not expected was the undisciplined actions that cost us at least game for sure, but you could say 2 possibly. We started out 0-3, and then we started putting some things together, and we were almost was ranked. The last month our team is showing now that they are not there yet. Let's be honest. We have no pass rushers. Similar to Moore, Karlaftis will start day 1.
As far as the offense, Blough had a decent year. He showed flashes of brillance, but he also had too many times of poor decisions and trying to make plays where they were not there. Our OL has not done him any favors, but they should be better next year. Moore has been a breathe of fresh air to our offense. He is one of the most dynamic players in college football. Just think how much more he can do with Bell and Wright alongside him to open him up more.
Our schedule is more favorable next year. I know we all want our team to win every game. However, if Brohm comes back, I think next year, and especially the year after, we will be a force on the national level again. We just have to have faith and patience.

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYDOG
You know what they say, Jimmy's and Joe's over X's and O's, or something like that. Brohm is bringing in more talent next year and should continue as long as he's here.
I wasn't sure how this year would go because defense carried us last year and we lost a lot. Other than Rondale Moore, the offense is basically the same personnel and it has been a pleasant surprise for most part.
I think the most disappointing thing is that those first three games were ones we should have had, then we got spoiled beating 3 ranked teams, winning 5 of 6 and playing exciting football with a chance to win West.
Now we're in same position as IU. Playing for bowl contention last game of year as usual.
Despite what has happened, Purdue is in better place than it was

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT