ADVERTISEMENT

These Officials Should be Aplogizing

That call was shameful when there was clearly no video evidence to overturn the call. Disgusting.
I’m getting tired of that kind of bullshit happening. Even the head official said on TV that the call should stand there is not enough to overturn it. Why even have replay if you’re not gonna follow the rules that are part of the process?

C'mon fellas, quit bullshitting... It was pretty obvious that ball hit the ground.

And even if it hadn't, Mizzou got all the way down the field and had 1st & goal with a minute to go... They woulda been down 41-37 but they woulda scored the TD to take the lead, so it really didn't matter.

It was a great game tho... Best of luck to u guys the rest of the season.

I’m getting tired of that kind of bullshit happening. Even the head official said on TV that the call should stand there is not enough to overturn it. Why even have replay if you’re not gonna follow the rules that are part of the process?
The head official said that it was offensive pass interference on the NW receiver in the first game and the game officials allowed it to be ruled a catch. I just don't understand how their views are different than what everyone else sees.

C'mon fellas, quit bullshitting... It was pretty obvious that ball hit the ground.

You're seeing what you WANT to see, NOT what happened. I zoomed in on the play in slow motion, and when the ball appears to be loosened from the upper arm, if you look closely, the receiver's lower arm was actually between the ball and the ground.

At the very least, there was no CLEAR evidence to reverse the call. NONE.

I’ve always been a replay minimalist. It should be used to correct egregious errors only. This is exactly why. Games last 4 hours and you still have controversial call deciding the game. 95% of reviews should stand as called on the field.

But yeah. That end of game defense and clock management. Getting tired of chip shot field goals with 0:00 remaining. Maybe next time just let them into the end zone with a minute left and 2 timeouts.

Reactions: echs86 and SKYDOG
The head official said that it was offensive pass interference on the NW receiver in the first game and the game officials allowed it to be ruled a catch. I just don't understand how their views are different than what everyone else sees.
And how is it that the head official who is the boss of the officials on the field constantly explains that the call should be one way and the officials on the field see at the exact opposite? How are they still working?

And even if it hadn't, Mizzou got all the way down the field and had 1st & goal with a minute to go... They woulda been down 41-37 but they woulda scored the TD to take the lead, so it really didn't matter.

Please pay attention to what the rules are, I know you’re trying to take this game in stride. But the head official said the ball is allowed to touch the ground as long as the player has control. The ball hit the ground yes, but the ball was not moving in his arms. It was a touchdown they had official said so we all saw it. The refs on the field blew the game for the third time in three games.

Pretty easy for you to say that. Momentum is a funny thing. When a team takes the lead and only has to prevent a touchdown and not worry about a field goal, the defensive play calling can be a little different.

Reactions: Purdue0034
I'm just surprised they didn't penalize us for excessive celebration on the TD they overturned.
I also saw celebrations much worse that Knox's last week in almost every highlight TD this weekend.

I noticed that too in several games today. Players running and jumping into each other to celebrate a TD, which looked like way more celebrating than Knox did.

That killed any momentum we had. Refs robbed us.

Don't understand how ND a team that's good gets help every week from refs and we get screwed.

Come on fellas, we got some no calls that would have changed the game significantly. Bottom line is Sparks has got to catch that cleanly.... and our defense cant suck.

Reactions: echs86
Come on fellas, we got some no calls that would have changed the game significantly. Bottom line is Sparks has got to catch that cleanly.... and our defense cant suck.

The refs were awful all game. Missed a PI and a horse collar on Purdue. Also missed a late hit and would could have been targeting on Lee (different play) plus the OPI on fourth down for Missouri. Unfortunately, Purdue got jobbed out of a touchdown that immediately affected the outcome of the game. That was a catch and at worst, it certainly wasn’t enough to overturn.

It wouldn’t be so hard to swallow if Purdue wasn’t jobbed late in the prior two games. Purdue needed the win and had it snatched away. Terrible officiating all game, but it was st least balanced until the call to overturn. They absolutely got it wrong there and it wasn’t a split second call on the field they missed. No excuse.

I guess I do agree with you guys who have the counterpoint. We jobs ourselves it just doesn’t help when the referees make calls that go completely against the rules and makes it even more difficult when the B10 Network puts the head of officiating on the TV and he makes what he thinks is the right call on that play and then the announcers even agree with him and then the call goes the opposite way at such a crucial juncture.

I do feel way way better about this team after last night because yes our defense still sucks and it will all year because we are young and athletic but not big enough on the line yet to get to the quarterback. But it was never about this year anyway. Boiler up for the future! And we have to keep pulling for these kids...have to!

Agree with you completely. I just hope the really good talent that is on this team doesn't get frustrated and give up. Whether Purdue beat itself or not, when you have games end due to questionable calls three weeks in a row, it can get hard to swallow.

Agree with you completely. I just hope the really good talent that is on this team doesn't get frustrated and give up. Whether Purdue beat itself or not, when you have games end due to questionable calls three weeks in a row, it can get hard to swallow.

If a team starts dwelling on officials as the reason they lose, that's a big problem.

Purdue has no one but themselves to look at for losing this game. Maybe we shouldn't be trying to play catch up constantly and we don't put ourselves in a position where a play can make or break the game. This board blaming refs for every loss this year is getting old.

Reactions: paco68
I’ve always been a replay minimalist. It should be used to correct egregious errors only. This is exactly why. Games last 4 hours and you still have controversial call deciding the game. 95% of reviews should stand as called on the field.

But yeah. That end of game defense and clock management. Getting tired of chip shot field goals with 0:00 remaining. Maybe next time just let them into the end zone with a minute left and 2 timeouts.

Agreed that there are too many plays being reviewed, but significant plays sometimes are just skipped.

During our game, Ohio State stripped the TCU QB in the endzone and "recovered" it for a touchdown early in the game. Well, a simple replay showed an Ohio State player touching the ball in the endzone while also out of bounds - no review was even done. It should have just been a safety.

Reactions: ejs1111
Offense played well enough to win. Defense can’t let them march 70 plus yards to our doorstep for victory
I'm just surprised they didn't penalize us for excessive celebration on the TD they overturned.
I also saw celebrations much worse that Knox's last week in almost every highlight TD this weekend.
One of tO$U td's yesterday had a player hot dogging it, dancing and skattin' in end zone. No flag for excessive celebration whatsoever. I do not understand how it could not have been called.

If a team starts dwelling on officials as the reason they lose, that's a big problem.

Purdue has no one but themselves to look at for losing this game. Maybe we shouldn't be trying to play catch up constantly and we don't put ourselves in a position where a play can make or break the game. This board blaming refs for every loss this year is getting old.

“Purdue has no one but themselves to look at for losing this game “.
Seriously??!!
Last week, true statement. This week the refs played a part. Not the majority of it, but they contributed to it. Shame on the refs. Embarrassing reversal of the TD.
Purdue can’t afford this year to get homered by the refs, which has happened 2 out of 3 games so far.

Offense played well enough to win. Defense can’t let them march 70 plus yards to our doorstep for victory

One of tO$U td's yesterday had a player hot dogging it, dancing and skattin' in end zone. No flag for excessive celebration whatsoever. I do not understand how it could not have been called.
Because its OSU.

Pretty easy for you to say that. Momentum is a funny thing. When a team takes the lead and only has to prevent a touchdown and not worry about a field goal, the defensive play calling can be a little different.
This....the momentum shifted back to MIZZOU after the field goal. Total different defensive game plan if score is 41-37

Games are all about playing catch up. Generally, well matched teams don't lead the entire way. Our defense sucked. But so did theirs. In those games, significant plays matter. That touchdown was a significant play. And to let it be determined by the officials where there was no evidence to overturn was significant in the outcome of the game. What do you think Missouri fans would be saying if that call was made on one of their touchdowns, and they lost the game? Probably would be all over Sports Center.

That call was shameful when there was clearly no video evidence to overturn the call. Disgusting.

You are smoking crack if you think that was a catch. It was clear on replay that the WR did not have control of the ball as he was going down and the entire ball hit the ground and bounces back up. It was an easy call, I am only surprised they reversed it considering how terrible the officials were all game, especially in the first half. That no call PI right before the half took a likely 17 point Mizzou lead at the half and gave Purdue a chance to come down and cut the lead to 3. Officials missed blatant face mask, 2 horse collars and several easy holding calls on Purdue RT. You should be glad that Acy our CB was hurt on that first play and that Hall was out most of the game at WR. Both being out lessened Mizzou for sure.

BTW- your QB played great, even when Mizzou had good coverage he made some perfect throws.

Actually I can't count how many times I saw a Purdue Defensive lineman's jersey being stretched out by a Missouri OL, when the Purdue player was going around them. So holding goes both ways.

Reactions: purduepat1969
You are smoking crack if you think that was a catch. It was clear on replay that the WR did not have control of the ball as he was going down and the entire ball hit the ground and bounces back up. It was an easy call, I am only surprised they reversed it considering how terrible the officials were all game, especially in the first half. That no call PI right before the half took a likely 17 point Mizzou lead at the half and gave Purdue a chance to come down and cut the lead to 3. Officials missed blatant face mask, 2 horse collars and several easy holding calls on Purdue RT. You should be glad that Acy our CB was hurt on that first play and that Hall was out most of the game at WR. Both being out lessened Mizzou for sure.

BTW- your QB played great, even when Mizzou had good coverage he made some perfect throws.

I don’t see how you can say that with a straight face. What everybody sees when they say the ball bobbles and hits the ground is because the left hand comes off to brace for impact. The right hand has clear and firm control as the ball is coming down. The camera only shows the tip of the ball and not where he is holding it as you can’t see his hand. The ball doesn’t slide at all and barely budged as it hits the ground (because it is being firmly held). The refs did not have a clear view of the hand. The catch doesn’t require both hands nor does it require the ball not to touch the ground. He maintains control and when he pops up the ball doesn’t move at all because he had control the whole time. That was a catch. At absolute worst it was not enough to overturn the call.

As for the bad calls, the 50 yard phantom holding call that brought back Moore’s big return, a late hit from Lee as well as a shot to the head on his second tackle were missed. The blatant offensive pass interference where the Missouri receiver pushed Smiley right past him with the left hand and came back to make the catch on fourth down (should have been Purdue ball at the 40 down 10 points, instead they went down 17). Many others but those where the big ones that stood out the most.

There was one missed horse collar against Purdue. The other was not a horse collar and when the announcer said it I wasn’t sure he knew the rule for it. There was a missed pass interference against Purdue, but it just made up for the awful call that lead to 7 for Missouri on there prior drive. Missouri got away with a lot more, but I will agree the officiating was bad. It was capped off by a terrible reversal that ignored Sparks getting mugged before making a spectacular catch, only to get robbed of 4 points. I am not saying Purdue wins it, but Missouri would have had to score a touchdown and so if they did score, they wouldn’t have run out the clock like they did. Purdue would have had a chance to go down and kick a fg at least. It was a hose job and Purdue got the short end of the stick. Coming over to a Purdue board to complain that the refs screwed over Missouri is laughable. You can keep that awful take in Missouri or wherever you may be from.

I will say this about Missouri. Knox, Badie, roundtree, and that sophomore tight end all looked very good. I was super impressed with Knox and that core of young running backs. That’s a good foundation to build on. Purdue had no answer with their defense that lost so much. Luckily, they are about to get an awful lot of help on the defensive front. Purdue is going to have the least amount of overall talent in most of their remaining games. If the offense continues where they left off, they should win six games which would be nothing short of amazing after starting 0-3 in this schedule.

There were bad and missed calls both ways. But there was clearly not enough indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the field. Even the media commentators calling the game were surprised. By you saying it was an easy call makes you disingenuous at best.

I think both sides are looking at this with black and gold glasses on here. Slightly different shade of gold. From what I've seen (not much) it looks like it was an incredibly difficult call to make/overturn. Purdue ended up on the short end of it unfortunately. But we had plenty of chances to stop Missouri on defense and did not do it. It shouldn't have taken a herculean effort by Blough to simply be in that game.

Holding was missed all day long on both sides. I can't ever remember so many passes being thrown in a football game with so little pass rush yet so few holding penalties. I think there was one and it was on a Purdue rush attempt.

Purdue lost this game because of their inability to rush the passer. For the life of me I don't understand why we were rushing just 3 for what seemed like the entire 1st half. And the 8 in coverage continued to leave guys open. When you can almost double team every receiver and still give up 400 yards in a half you have problems.

I don’t see how you can say that with a straight face. What everybody sees when they say the ball bobbles and hits the ground is because the left hand comes off to brace for impact. The right hand has clear and firm control as the ball is coming down. The camera only shows the tip of the ball and not where he is holding it as you can’t see his hand. The ball doesn’t slide at all and barely budged as it hits the ground (because it is being firmly held). The refs did not have a clear view of the hand. The catch doesn’t require both hands nor does it require the ball not to touch the ground. He maintains control and when he pops up the ball doesn’t move at all because he had control the whole time. That was a catch. At absolute worst it was not enough to overturn the call.

As for the bad calls, the 50 yard phantom holding call that brought back Moore’s big return, a late hit from Lee as well as a shot to the head on his second tackle were missed. The blatant offensive pass interference where the Missouri receiver pushed Smiley right past him with the left hand and came back to make the catch on fourth down (should have been Purdue ball at the 40 down 10 points, instead they went down 17). Many others but those where the big ones that stood out the most.

There was one missed horse collar against Purdue. The other was not a horse collar and when the announcer said it I wasn’t sure he knew the rule for it. There was a missed pass interference against Purdue, but it just made up for the awful call that lead to 7 for Missouri on there prior drive. Missouri got away with a lot more, but I will agree the officiating was bad. It was capped off by a terrible reversal that ignored Sparks getting mugged before making a spectacular catch, only to get robbed of 4 points. I am not saying Purdue wins it, but Missouri would have had to score a touchdown and so if they did score, they wouldn’t have run out the clock like they did. Purdue would have had a chance to go down and kick a fg at least. It was a hose job and Purdue got the short end of the stick. Coming over to a Purdue board to complain that the refs screwed over Missouri is laughable. You can keep that awful take in Missouri or wherever you may be from.

I will say this about Missouri. Knox, Badie, roundtree, and that sophomore tight end all looked very good. I was super impressed with Knox and that core of young running backs. That’s a good foundation to build on. Purdue had no answer with their defense that lost so much. Luckily, they are about to get an awful lot of help on the defensive front. Purdue is going to have the least amount of overall talent in most of their remaining games. If the offense continues where they left off, they should win six games which would be nothing short of amazing after starting 0-3 in this schedule.

It was not a catch. Its that simple. Not even close actually.

Actually I can't count how many times I saw a Purdue Defensive lineman's jersey being stretched out by a Missouri OL, when the Purdue player was going around them. So holding goes both ways.
I don’t want to give this Missouri fan any street CRED, but there were Missouri jerseys being tugged there were pretty jerseys being tug. We were the beneficiaries of several no calls including a few facemask penalties that could’ve been assessed. It is a fact though that they blew that call, I don’t smoke crack but I do have pretty good vision and I was even wearing glasses last night to enhance that version. I wasn’t drinking but after that call I could’ve used a drink.

Then why did Glen Mason and the other commentator say there wasn't enough video evidence, in their opinion, to overturn it? You're just that much more of an expert I guess?

Then why did Glen Mason and the other commentator say there wasn't enough video evidence, in their opinion, to overturn it? You're just that much more of an expert I guess?
You’re arguing with someone who lacks reasonable intelligence and the ability to have an open mind. It’s fruitless, all that matters is the Big Ten had of officiating, the commentators and rules interpretation committee members have given their thoughts and either way it’s not going to change the outcome of the game. And it’s highly unlikely we would have prevented them from scoring the game-winning touchdown. It’s our job to find out how to play defense with the players we have available.

I know you Missouri guys like things simple, like women with less than 8 teeth, but that was a catch. I will give you this. Even if it was a catch, I think you could have scored on the ensuing drive ("ensuing" means following), going in for a touchdown for the win.

No sweat Missouri. Your QB and receivers played great. It was a fun game to watch right up to the end. Not what I wanted, but still a fun game.

I know you Missouri guys like things simple, like women with less than 8 teeth, but that was a catch. I will give you this. Even if it was a catch, I think you could have scored on the ensuing drive ("ensuing" means following), going in for a touchdown for the win.

No sweat Missouri. Your QB and receivers played great. It was a fun game to watch right up to the end. Not what I wanted, but still a fun game.

Say Missouri did go right down and score, the clock management would have been different and Purdue would have possibly had a chance to kick a field goal and tie it at a minimum. It’s unfortunate that it came down to a call like that.

Just like in the Northwestern game when there was clearly pass interference and the ball moved when it hit the ground I thought the refs would take it into consideration. Yet both calls went against Purdue. Both were game altering.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT