ADVERTISEMENT

The so-called experts

Painter didn't stick with it long enough. When someone's dog runs away, they don't just give up looking after a couple of minutes.

I think the problem is that Painter doesn't know how to properly teach zones. He could use some coaching advice on it from Jim Boeheim.

It wouldn't be Purdue's primary D but another option to go to when the man-to-man is stale.

Ohh boy....Here we go again.....

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
If I want some truly self hating, acid reflux inducing G.I. carnage, I spare no expense:

981c323fe93fcd6947224ce2ff2fbe0a_large.png

I hate to say it, but the neighboring town to my hometown Beloit, Wi, is the home of Hormel chili, and has the world's largest can of chili in plain view in front of their factory. Instead of being a water tower, it provides a source for natural gas.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Painter didn't stick with it long enough. When someone's dog runs away, they don't just give up looking after a couple of minutes.

I think the problem is that Painter doesn't know how to properly teach zones. He could use some coaching advice on it from Jim Boeheim.

It wouldn't be Purdue's primary D but another option to go to when the man-to-man is stale.
That team played zone the entire OOC schedule. How long is long enough for you?

I can honestly say that is the first time I have heard someone compare a defensive strategy in basketball to losing a beloved pet. Nicely done.

for three reasons.

the majority of my posts are long, and I spend a lot of time typing and proofing them. I'm annoyed and tired of putting so much into a post and then seeing the entire thread be deleted because of the other ongoing cat fights on this board.

Secondly, I'm one of the people harassed and name called chiefly because my posts take up too much data space on somebody's cell phone.

Thirdly. we don't really have a board moderator. KHC does. So we have to moderate ourselves. it's a lot easier if we are civil to begin with.

That's a pretty good answer.

Last edited:

Gee. Where have I heard this before? Oh, that's right, from you. About 39 gazillion times.

Too bad Matt Painter can't read, or he would learn from this board that he needs to sign up for being coached by Jim Boeheim. Then the world's problems would be solved. Well, except for that chili issue.

I've always wondered where the name originated. Chili is not from the South American country Chili. It tastes bad when it's chilled or cold. people say the spicier, the better. So wouldn't the name hottie be a more appropriate and accurate name?

You can go to the restaurant and order some hottie with gas.

That team played zone the entire OOC schedule. How long is long enough for you?

I don't recall them using it the entire OOC schedule. I know they used it in Maui against Kansas State for a half. I'm sure they used it more than that but that's the only time I recall from that '14-'15 season.

I am an expert but the things that give me an upper hand, like advanced stays and how to apply them, are available to everyone for free on various basketball stat sites. I encourage everyone to look them up and become familiar.

No expert would recommend a zone with our players we had, You have to recruit to a zone and have very athletic players that can cover areas. As usual place the blame on Painter.

No expert would recommend a zone with our players we had, You have to recruit to a zone and have very athletic players that can cover areas. As usual place the blame on Painter.

Eastern, Wheeler, and Haarms are three players that really "fit" to a team that uses zones from time to time.

I've always wondered where the name originated. Chili is not from the South American country Chili. It tastes bad when it's chilled or cold. people say the spicier, the better. So wouldn't the name hottie be a more appropriate and accurate name?

You can go to the restaurant and order some hottie with gas.
Let me help you out....In the 1880s, a market in San Antonio started setting up chili stands from which chilior bowls o'red, as it was called, were sold by women who were called "chili queens." ... The fame of chili con carne began to spread and the dish soon became a major tourist attraction.

The viewpoint that I've always had regarding the "zone" defense says you "zone guys" are way overthinking it.

I've always thought that CMP shied away from the zone because it would be somewhat counter-intuitive to the teachings/principles of the motion offense that he loves so much.
He would be constantly telling them to "move, move, MOVE" down on the one end on offense, and then be telling them to stay in their boxes/areas down on the other end.
Not for all, but for some players, that would be somewhat confusing, and just plain be a different playing style or philosophy. Maybe "conflicting" is a better word?

But then again, I've always considered a zone to be a somewhat lazy approach (PC term "reactive") to defense, where as I always saw the man as more of a workman like, or thinking man's game; where you have to keep moving, try to anticipate what your guy is gonna do, and beat him at it/ beat him to the spot, to be able to defend well (PC term "proactive").

Don't know the answer, but I would find it interesting to know if there were any coaches out there (Like Painter) that were as steadfast in their love of the motion offense, but did in-fact, employ a zone defense, as their mainstay, "go to" defensive philosophy?

Reactions: nagemj02
ADVERTISEMENT