ADVERTISEMENT

The so-called experts

Wolegib

All-American
May 23, 2013
I thought this would be a good time to start a conversation about the so-called experts knowing it could lead to some disagreements among posters. I believe it is better to get it out of our systems now than wait until the season starts. I've noticed we've started the bickering, finger pointing and troll calling way before the season has even started. My fear is that once the season starts, there will be objective analysis provided, suggestions made, observations and insight given, and then the typical counter posts and name calling will begin once more. Something I really hate is to dedicate a lot of time writing a post and then seeing the entire thread be deleted by the other cat fights on this board.

I've written a lot of posts, but I've read ten times more posts than I've written. And some of those posts were longer than mine. And from those posts, I've learned a lot and gained a lot of insight about people and also basketball.

Now to the point. This board actually does have a lot of experts. They are NOT so-called experts. From time to time, they reveal their real identities and their experience. Among our posters, we have former college and high school coaches. We have AAU coaches. We have former high school and college players. We also have referees. In addition we have parents of high school and college basketball players. We also have posters who follow a lot of high school and college basketball games and scouting sites. The reality is, we don't have so-called experts. What we have are REAL experts. And while we may disagree with their viewpoints from time to time, they actually do know what they are talking about.

When I see posts that offer insight or criticism, I view the majority of them as constructive rather than negative. The intent is to improve this team rather than humiliate a player or berate him.

Yes, we have trolls and others who love to bait other posters. But the majority of posters all share the same passion for basketball and dreams and hopes for the success of Purdue basketball.

So when we see constructive criticism or insights offered, take them as they were intended. They are an additional set of eyes trying to help this team. My son wanted to be an NBA basketball player and play for the University of Michigan. He had talent. I know very little about basketball. So I sent him to basketball camps run but Coaches Weber and Coach K. I allowed him to play AAU basketball against some of the best basketball players in the nation. I watched all of his games. But most of all, I listened to the criticisms, insights and observations provided. And with all those observations, my son was able to make a decision. He decided his passion is still basketball, but his talent is in track. He knows a lot about basketball, but finally broke down his defenses and decided to admit the experts were right, and decided their advice was actually correct and in his own best interest.

In summary, there are many here who won't brag much, But sometimes leak out that they actually are experts . And rather than being defensive or name calling, perhaps we ALL should sit back and listen to what they have to say. And rather than wasting time arguing, spend that time rereading their posts and taking action to correct and implant their suggestions.

And yes, even I have listened to some of the criticism I've received. Not all of my posts are this long. And my typing has vastly improved over my original posts. People say recruits and parents read the posts made on this board. Hopefully they read this post. Through the criticisms my son received, he became a successful athlete, however, it was track, not basketball. And yes, the more successful he has become, the more his current coach criticizes him to improve him. My son hates the criticism, but has finally realized his so-called expert who keeps criticizing him knows what he's talking about. And my son is now changing his desire in life from being an accountant to being a college coach. And in one year, he will join the ranks of the experts!

As for myself, I'm an expert at many things outside of college basketball.

I thought this would be a good time to start a conversation about the so-called experts knowing it could lead to some disagreements among posters. I believe it is better to get it out of our systems now than wait until the season starts. I've noticed we've started the bickering, finger pointing and troll calling way before the season has even started. My fear is that once the season starts, there will be objective analysis provided, suggestions made, observations and insight given, and then the typical counter posts and name calling will begin once more. Something I really hate is to dedicate a lot of time writing a post and then seeing the entire thread be deleted by the other cat fights on this board.

I've written a lot of posts, but I've read ten times more posts than I've written. And some of those posts were longer than mine. And from those posts, I've learned a lot and gained a lot of insight about people and also basketball.

Now to the point. This board actually does have a lot of experts. They are NOT so-called experts. From time to time, they reveal their real identities and their experience. Among our posters, we have former college and high school coaches. We have AAU coaches. We have former high school and college players. We also have referees. In addition we have parents of high school and college basketball players. We also have posters who follow a lot of high school and college basketball games and scouting sites. The reality is, we don't have so-called experts. What we have are REAL experts. And while we may disagree with their viewpoints from time to time, they actually do know what they are talking about.

When I see posts that offer insight or criticism, I view the majority of them as constructive rather than negative. The intent is to improve this team rather than humiliate a player or berate him.

Yes, we have trolls and others who love to bait other posters. But the majority of posters all share the same passion for basketball and dreams and hopes for the success of Purdue basketball.

So when we see constructive criticism or insights offered, take them as they were intended. They are an additional set of eyes trying to help this team. My son wanted to be an NBA basketball player and play for the University of Michigan. He had talent. I know very little about basketball. So I sent him to basketball camps run but Coaches Weber and Coach K. I allowed him to play AAU basketball against some of the best basketball players in the nation. I watched all of his games. But most of all, I listened to the criticisms, insights and observations provided. And with all those observations, my son was able to make a decision. He decided his passion is still basketball, but his talent is in track. He knows a lot about basketball, but finally broke down his defenses and decided to admit the experts were right, and decided their advice was actually correct and in his own best interest.

In summary, there are many here who won't brag much, But sometimes leak out that they actually are experts . And rather than being defensive or name calling, perhaps we ALL should sit back and listen to what they have to say. And rather than wasting time arguing, spend that time rereading their posts and taking action to correct and implant their suggestions.

And yes, even I have listened to some of the criticism I've received. Not all of my posts are this long. And my typing has vastly improved over my original posts. People say recruits and parents read the posts made on this board. Hopefully they read this post. Through the criticisms my son received, he became a successful athlete, however, it was track, not basketball. And yes, the more successful he has become, the more his current coach criticizes him to improve him. My son hates the criticism, but has finally realized his so-called expert who keeps criticizing him knows what he's talking about. And my son is now changing his desire in life from being an accountant to being a college coach. And in one year, he will join the ranks of the experts!

Usually the people who shout the most about who they are are blinded by their own biases. Tune into any college basketball game, or watch a halftime show, to realize that. A bunch of fired coaches who want to tell people how college basketball is played and how it should be played.

People like to argue. People like to try to make others believe them. People are crazy.

Basketball is not that complicated. Teams that make a lot of shots and defend well enough to keep other teams from making a lot shots typically win.

I am always supportive of every new PU player regardless how they end their career. If it does not turn out as expected it’s not the coaches or fans fault. It could be the players fault but sometimes they just could not develop any further. That’s when it’s time to shrug your shoulders and move On.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
This was painful to read. I had to stop, and refocus a few times and persevere to get through this.

thank you for making the effort.

my hope is that this one very long post may hopefully prevent 10-25 very long argumentative threads from happening once our season starts. it saddens me when a player misses a Ft, that others feel compelled to start a thread about the player's Ft techniques and the arguments and name calling ensue. it sometimes appears that we hate ourselves, more than we hate the trolls.

my hope is that this one very long post may hopefully prevent 10-25 very long argumentative threads from happening once our season starts. it saddens me when a player misses a Ft, that others feel compelled to start a thread about the player's Ft techniques and the arguments and name calling ensue. it sometimes appears that we hate ourselves, more than we hate the trolls.
Good luck. I doubt it has any effect. Given the number of trolls here now my guess is this board becomes pretty unreadable.

Good luck. I doubt it has any effect. Given the number of trolls here now my guess is this board becomes pretty unreadable.

the trolls are not as bad as some of our regular posters. And the personal attacks on Purdue posters here is a lot worse than what the trolls receive.

the trolls are not as bad as some of our regular posters. And the personal attacks on Purdue posters here is a lot worse than what the trolls receive.
Your initial statement here makes me believe you have zero idea of what is a troll and how they operate. But I'm not going to argue it. Believe what you want.

Your initial statement here makes me believe you have zero idea of what is a troll and how they operate. But I'm not going to argue it. Believe what you want.

I've posted on various sports forums for over 15 years. Believe me, I know what a troll is. I also know the targets this message was aimed at. Trolls are rather amusing. Some of our typical Purdue posters are not.

It's just the off season. It's a natural phenomenon on any sports board.

I think a lot of people can cut out the trolls - if you just ignore the obvious, then it doesn't matter.

However, there are plenty of topics that are posted as complaints/criticism, but in reality are much about nothing. Two quick examples: 1. Getting upset about who plays "PG" - in a motion offense. 2. Who starts in a game, regardless of the minutes actually played (remember that fun with Hammons?).

I think a lot of people can cut out the trolls - if you just ignore the obvious, then it doesn't matter.

However, there are plenty of topics that are posted as complaints/criticism, but in reality are much about nothing. Two quick examples: 1. Getting upset about who plays "PG" - in a motion offense. 2. Who starts in a game, regardless of the minutes actually played (remember that fun with Hammons?).

You forgot to mention playing "ZONE defense".

I wasn't posting on this board when the original debate started. But from the recurring posts, it must have become a very heated subject.

You forgot to mention playing "ZONE defense".

I wasn't posting on this board when the original debate started. But from the recurring posts, it must have become a very heated subject.
Zone defense has merit here. The problem is we tried it a few years ago and it was a mess. I don’t need to see a zone personally, but I also don’t rule out the possibility of it happening again as I never felt Painter would try it the first to around.

Step 1 Identify as troll/ahole/idiot
Step 2 Use ignore button on posters identified in step 1.
Step 3 Breathe and smile

Reactions: samcboiler
Wolegib, I'll vouch for your growth as a poster. And people can choose for themselves whether or not to read a lengthy post - what's the point in complaining?? I certainly have some lengthy ones of my own.

As for message board criticism, in personal interactions most people (well.. some people..) have a line they know not to cross for the sake of civility. Unfortunately in the online world people have much different standards for what is acceptable, what is constructive, what is helpful, and what is just plain argumentative. Basic trolls are easy to spot and deal with. But actual fans who simply focus on negatives (areas for improvement) or are argumentative/critical by nature are where things get tricky. I don't use the ignore feature except for the obvious trolls from other schools because I want to hear what all fans have to say.

My approach is generally (save last week) to only comment on topics that are constructive in some way, typically acquiring new information and details pertaining to Purdue men's basketball or football. I tend to stay away from the hot buttons, unless there is a specific opposing point that I feel has not been brought to the table. I think if everyone did that there would be far less bickering, but I don't expect everyone to have this mentality.

Out of curiosity, why do you believe that is your responsibility?

OMG! Disagreements on a message board?!! Be careful!

Reactions: Cleanface
Out of curiosity, why do you believe that is your responsibility?

for three reasons.

the majority of my posts are long, and I spend a lot of time typing and proofing them. I'm annoyed and tired of putting so much into a post and then seeing the entire thread be deleted because of the other ongoing cat fights on this board.

Secondly, I'm one of the people harassed and name called chiefly because my posts take up too much data space on somebody's cell phone.

Thirdly. we don't really have a board moderator. KHC does. So we have to moderate ourselves. it's a lot easier if we are civil to begin with.

for three reasons.

the majority of my posts are long, and I spend a lot of time typing and proofing them. I'm annoyed and tired of putting so much into a post and then seeing the entire thread be deleted because of the other ongoing cat fights on this board.

Secondly, I'm one of the people harassed and name called chiefly because my posts take up too much data space on somebody's cell phone.

Thirdly. we don't really have a board moderator. KHC does. So we have to moderate ourselves. it's a lot easier if we are civil to begin with.
Oh we definitely have a moderator...

It isn't a debate. Clearly one side is right and the other side is brain dead moron who has lost all taste buds from eating toxic waste with a dash of cinnamon

I missed the chili debate. What thread started it? We all know it probably was a n extension of some other original post.

I missed the chili debate. What thread started it? We all know it probably was a n extension of some other original post.
I don't really remember but @Purdue85 is a sick and believes Skyline or Cincinnati style chili is far superior to the chili in Texas.

He insists that the processed diarrhea with cinnamon is heaven on earth

It isn't a debate. Clearly one side is right and the other side is brain dead moron who has lost all taste buds from eating toxic waste with a dash of cinnamon[/QUOT
I don't really remember but @Purdue85 is a sick and believes Skyline or Cincinnati style chili is far superior to the chili in Texas.

Don't forget the chocolate.

for three reasons.

It will be much harder to keep people from arguing than it would be for you to spend less time composing, typing, and proofing your own posts. You have control over your own actions, not the actions of others.

Reactions: Cleanface
Whoever's chili recipe, just make sure the Marino Brothers vintage comes out of the freezer in time.....

Columbo-Port-Slyone-e1424112001504.jpg

It will be much harder to keep people from arguing than it would be for you to spend less time composing, typing, and proofing your own posts. You have control over your own actions, not the actions of others.

advice taken.

I've lived in San Antonio and a suburb near Cincy (Springboro). I will admit I love Skyline Chili served at their stores, but I hate the frozen and canned skyline chili sold at grocery stores. I also hate to say this, but when living in San Antonio, I don't recall ever ordering any tex-mex chili. We lived there for a year and ate a lot of Mexican food, and I learned to love tacos, burritos, enchiladas, fried ice cream and other deserts. I just can't remember their chili. Another twist to chili is in Wisconsin, we added macaroni. it's called by many chili-mac, but the chili purist is known to say adding macaroni to chili is blasphemy.

CLARIFICATION:

C'Boiler insists that his dog food chili is superior to all chili, and has admitted he has to have cheap-@ss beer to choke it down.

That, my friends, is heartbreaking.

Save your chili-loving brothers. Don't let them follow the path of CB.

CLARIFICATION:

C'Boiler insists that his dog food chili is superior to all chili, and has admitted he has to have cheap-@ss beer to choke it down.

That, my friends, is heartbreaking.

Save your chili-loving brothers. Don't let them follow the path of CB.
Hope you choke on your noodles and raw onions while eating your crap chili.

Reactions: Purdue85
Zone defense has merit here. The problem is we tried it a few years ago and it was a mess. I don’t need to see a zone personally, but I also don’t out the possibility of it happening again as felt hh would try it the first to around.

Painter didn't stick with it long enough. When someone's dog runs away, they don't just give up looking after a couple of minutes.

I think the problem is that Painter doesn't know how to properly teach zones. He could use some coaching advice on it from Jim Boeheim.

It wouldn't be Purdue's primary D but another option to go to when the man-to-man is stale.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT