ADVERTISEMENT

The roster as we leave the spring (long)

I think overall…can’t point to a Purdue team that has had this much talent in almost 20 years. That’s a good thing but our most experienced and top talent will leave next year to NFL.
This goes back to my results expectations across 4 years. 1 missed bowl, 2 6-7, maybe 8 win seasons and then 1 very good 9 win plus season to me is what the programs goal should be. I’d love to be better but being honest about our limitations can also help you enjoy our successes more.

My ouztlook for this year is 10 wins in the regular season. Happy to break down my thoughts for you BC. If you care.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
29011.gif
I approve this messsage 🍃

I think overall…can’t point to a Purdue team that has had this much talent in almost 20 years. That’s a good thing but our most experienced and top talent will leave next year to NFL.
This goes back to my results expectations across 4 years. 1 missed bowl, 2 6-7, maybe 8 win seasons and then 1 very good 9 win plus season to me is what the programs goal should be. I’d love to be better but being honest about our limitations can also help you enjoy our successes more.

My ouztlook for this year is 10 wins in the regular season. Happy to break down my thoughts for you BC. If you care.
Isn't it the case every year that the best and most experienced talent leaves for the NFL?
But I don't think we are going to lose anyone as impactful as GK and DB next year.

I'll go ahead and be a wet blanket and say we are due to see some regression in 2022. Fortunate to win 4 out of 5 closely contested games in 2021, which is not sustainable, especially for a team with a weak ground game. I don't trust the OL, run game, or pass rush enough to protect a lead.

Isn't it the case every year that the best and most experienced talent leaves for the NFL?
But I don't think we are going to lose anyone as impactful as GK and DB next year.

I'll go ahead and be a wet blanket and say we are due to see some regression in 2022. Fortunate to win 4 out of 5 closely contested games in 2021, which is not sustainable, especially for a team with a weak ground game. I don't trust the OL, run game, or pass rush enough to protect a lead.
Our DL should still be good even without GK and Graham returns (likely NFL player). Secondary gets Trice back (potential NFL player)

AOC returning helps too. The schedule is incredibly favorable next year.

Our DL should still be good even without GK and Graham returns (likely NFL player). Secondary gets Trice back (potential NFL player)

AOC returning helps too. The schedule is incredibly favorable next year.
Johnson and Watts should make our DL very good in the middle. And there's plenty of depth on the ends.

I think the linebackers will be decent, especially with Graham.

The secondary should be a strength. It'll have the most depth it's had in years.

Should be a good season for the defense.

I'm in a wait and see mode for the offensive side of the ball. To me, the big question is whether this OL will be any good at all...

Reactions: FirstDownB
Johnson and Watts should make our DL very good in the middle. And there's plenty of depth on the ends.

I think the linebackers will be decent, especially with Graham.

The secondary should be a strength. It'll have the most depth it's had in years.

Should be a good season for the defense.

I'm in a wait and see mode for the offensive side of the ball. To me, the big question is whether this OL will be any good at all...
I don’t think the O will skip much of a beat. If we can pass protect well enough and Wright, Rice, Sheffield, Thompson etc. are all at least as good as they were last year…we should be just as good on offense. Actually think the WR corps might be deeper this year than years previous.

TEs are a positive.

OL prob not good for a consistent run game but that keeps us from a special season but not a good one.

DL deep. LBs probably the least deep but still talent there. Maybe the best DB stable we’ve ever had.

AOC’s Gotta stay healthy…gotta play up to potential but we should realistically be favored to win 8 games on paper…more in reality IMO. I could really only point to 2 teams that should be better than us on paper (Wisconsin, PSU) and we were objectively better than PSU last year.

Reactions: Zaphod_B

I’m looking forward to your breakdown…

but just so we are clear I have repeatedly taken my medicine for last year. I was wrong and you guys were right.

now, if you told me that Milton Wright would 100% be back, that we would have an average big ten pass AND run blocking OL, one player on the DL who could be a catalyst in pass pressure and no major injuries to someone like oconnell, I’d be trying to beat you to the window to bet on 10 wins.

I don’t think the O will skip much of a beat. If we can pass protect well enough and Wright, Rice, Sheffield, Thompson etc. are all at least as good as they were last year…we should be just as good on offense. Actually think the WR corps might be deeper this year than years previous.

TEs are a positive.

OL prob not good for a consistent run game but that keeps us from a special season but not a good one.

DL deep. LBs probably the least deep but still talent there. Maybe the best DB stable we’ve ever had.

AOC’s Gotta stay healthy…gotta play up to potential but we should realistically be favored to win 8 games on paper…more in reality IMO. I could really only point to 2 teams that should be better than us on paper (Wisconsin, PSU) and we were objectively better than PSU last year.
I do believe the DL will have depth. But as has been written many times, you only have 4 on the field at a time. There are no difference makers with GK out of the picture. Nobody who could generate a consistent outside pass rush while GK was drawing double and triple teams on the other side. We are going to have to win some shootouts. Schedule is favorable, but I've said that before and still found 6-6 at the other end of the tunnel with an unexpected loss to EMU. Hope for fair weather Saturdays.

TEs are a positive.

I’ll believe Milton is eligible when I see it

I'd book Wright being on the team. The fact he was at seen at spring practice (non participate but wearing jersey) was a great sign.

I fully expect him back and to have an all conference type year. He has the potential to go higher in the draft than either Bell or Moore imo.

Reactions: pboiler18
I’ll believe Milton is eligible when I see it
Even if not, we’d be fine with Yaseen, et all stepping in. Shoot, our bowl MVP WR might be the legitimate 5th or 6th best WR on this team.
I think Wright brings something the others don’t have (tops tier size AND speed) but we would be fine with our top 8 or so guys and wouldn’t anticipate huge production drop offs if we have 5-6 of them all year.

Reactions: krf3632
Even if not, we’d be fine with Yaseen, et all stepping in. Shoot, our bowl MVP WR might be the legitimate 5th or 6th best WR on this team.
I think Wright brings something the others don’t have (tops tier size AND speed) but we would be fine with our top 8 or so guys and wouldn’t anticipate huge production drop offs if we have 5-6 of them all year.
Agree, but, Yaseen and Rice have been injured every season on campus.

Collin Sullivan is a guy I think can have a big impact as a “newcomer” as well. Burks will be a good one too

Reactions: krf3632
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT