ADVERTISEMENT

The roster as we leave the spring (long)

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
Saw some interesting things in the charts Tom put out, and although I’m not gonna give those away, I’ve seen some interesting side discussions. And, I have some time to kill, so I’m gonna give my take. And then @pboiler18, @nat100 and @New Pal Boiler and others can roast me.

mind you, this doesn’t take into account any inside info like secret injuries, guys who have some character/legal/some other inside stuff going on. This is just what we see from the outside.

the good news? I estimated that we had 7 or so guys last year who had established themselves as Big ten caliber starters.. or, guys that half the league or more would be happy to have as a starter. Though that team was top heavy with Karlaftis and Bell, this team had many more players who have proven that much.

I’ll bold players who are ready to mix it up now as Big Ten quality starters in my mind. I Itallicize those who may show that they can contribute (and whom I expect to get a chance even without injury).

so let’s dive in:

QB
Oconnell

Health at this position is the season. Where I differ from some is that Burton just can’t throw. He is not going to be a starter and have it be a tenable situation. My opinion is that if Oconnell was nicked up, the Burton thing might not make it a game, and then you’d be looking at Alaimo next trying to run a scaled back offense. We’d be lucky to eek out a 6-6 bowl season in that scenario and could even see Allen if things got bad enough late. If Oconnell stays healthy, this team could win 8+ games with this years schedule. We have no playable depth here.

RB
Doerue
James
Downing
Mockobee

In my opinion we are gonna be fine with King Doerue, at least similar to what we would see if we had DJ Knox. I’m looking for Doerue to expand his game to inside the tackle runs, but a lot of that depends on the offensive line. I also expect Doerue to expand his pass blocking and receiving.

WR
Wright
Rice

WR
Sheffield
Tracy

Burks

WR
Thompson
Yaseen

Terrell

This is who I believe we will see. And nat can correct me if Terrell belongs on the other side in this system. Obviously, I wouldn’t be surprised if any of the top guys weren’t full go on opening night with the injuries and that, but I think we have enough to make it through with enough of them out there.

Wright if eligible could really be a star. He’s got athleticism that surpasses any wide receiver I can remember on the outside and he looked as though he was getting really comfortable late last season. Thompson could really produce a la Bell at that spot. Bell is obviously better, but Thompson didn’t look far off vs Tennessee. I expect Tracy to make plays all over and be a real good wild card. Then I look for Burks, Sheffield and Terrell to get in the mix and produce as well. Rice and Yaseen are wild cards with the injuries. If healthy, both could bolster this group. After that I look to Sullivan and Canion to get involved and wouldn’t be surprised to see Steptoe to get in the mix.

TE
Durham
Miller

Piferi
Biber

I expect Garrett Miller to take a huge step forward this year. Durham is the senior and will get the opportunities, but I think Miller will become a real headache for opposing defenses. I expect to see the others thrown into the mix here and there when opportunities arise.

LT
Miller

LG
Holstege

C
Hartwig

RG
Mbow
Craig

RT
Moussa
Craig

This is where I think we are gonna be to start the season. How healthy they are and how much better they’ve gotten will tell the story.

If Craig is healthy and looks better, Mbow holds his own at guard, we could be on to something. If not and we have to start Moussa outside with either Craig starting inside or Mbow inside, that’s not as good but could still be ok. Those six I think will play if healthy. If they show up on game one looking pretty good, this offense could be hard for anyone to stop. But that’s a real question mark.

Kaltenberger and Finau if healthy would be the next ones in in my mind, but I’m not expecting much from either.

this is my experience chart of guys I’m gonna expect to see on day one.

DE
Sullivan
Anderson
Sydnor

DT
Deen
Boyd
Hudgins

NT
Johnson
Lewis

Leo
Jenkins

Humpich
Karlaftis

The story of this defense is gonna get told at that DE spot to a great degree. I’m looking to Joe Anderson with his tools to show that he can take a bigger role, because he has the physical tools to be something if he can be something. Sullivan to me has the toughness and is nice as a four best starter.. someone you can put opposite of George karlaftis who will eventually get home. Much like )a very rich man’s) Geo Reviere, he’s low on burst at the position.

The other way this DL will tell the story is by producing one guy who can set a tone. They will play the run fine. Will Purdue have one guy who can be explosive enough to make this a line that Can pressure without blitzing. They were that last year for the first time since 2017.

Johnson, Deen and Jenkins weren’t independently very good at generating pressure. They were good because Karlaftis was being triple teamed. All are fine players but someone needs to be the catalyst. And In this very good group I’m not gonna be surprised at all if Y. Karlaftis comes out at 245+ and can be a real threat.

But overall it should be a good group

WLB
Washington

MLB
Douglas
Fakasiieki
Wahlberg

The 5
Graham

This is what I expect us to start with. I think we will have the three guys in the middle rotating (heavier Douglas and Semisi) and will not pull Graham and Washington much against passing teams. I don’t think we will see Douglas and Semisi together except against Wisconsin.

CB
Trice
Hampton

S
Allen
Jefferson

S
Grant
Stevens

CB
Brown
Denson
Taylor

A really good dangerous group that I think is what some people think this DL will be. If there’s a weakest starter it might be Brown, but not by much to me. I look for him to be able to cover without using his hands so much and I look for Marvin Grant to improve his angles. I think this is the group, along with Oconnell at QB and the TEs, who have a chance to really define this team. I expect to see all backups play, including Taylor in the slot.

I look at this team as having a 6-6 floor and no ceiling with this schedule. If they beat Penn state to open the season, which I don’t think I’ll predict, I don’t know that there’s a game that I just flat out see them losing after that.. on the high end. That means things like Oconnell is healthy, as is the team. Someone becomes the pressure guy on the DL and the OL is at least above average at blocking both the run and pass.

I think all of that happening is a stretch so the most likely pick I’ll make is 8-4, followed by 7-5.

they’ll lose penn state, Wisconsin, Minnesota and 1-2 other surprises.

thanks for letting me kill an hour on a day I needed to kill time

Last edited:
The QB situation is decent. AOC is damn good and Burton is seasoned. He isn’t going to light anyone up but can be effective in his run package. If we ever got into a crazy weather game, you might see heavy doses of him. I agree if AOC got hurt, you might see Alamo. Good enough for 8 wins if the WR’s produce.

I think our season will be 6 wins or better. How many more? I have 3 factors that I need answer to:

1. special teams- do we get anything out of the return game? Can we make our FG’s? Can we punt worth a damn?
2. Defense- can we stay healthy in the secondary? Pass rush?
3. Running game- we need to compliment AOC with a run threat. Can the OL make some holes? Are the RB’s going to make a guy miss?

Should be another interesting year.

The QB situation is decent. AOC is damn good and Burton is seasoned. He isn’t going to light anyone up but can be effective in his run package. If we ever got into a crazy weather game, you might see heavy doses of him. I agree if AOC got hurt, you might see Alamo. Good enough for 8 wins if the WR’s produce.

I think our season will be 6 wins or better. How many more? I have 3 factors that I need answer to:

1. special teams- do we get anything out of the return game? Can we make our FG’s? Can we punt worth a damn?
2. Defense- can we stay healthy in the secondary? Pass rush?
3. Running game- we need to compliment AOC with a run threat. Can the OL make some holes? Are the RB’s going to make a guy miss?

Should be another interesting year.
I don’t know what seasoned means.. he can’t pass. So, if Oconnell goes down, the time he’s down will feel like a long day. I think if Alaimo is the starter 8 wins would be a pipe dream .. he’d likely spend the season having the game gradually slow down for him. You can lose a lot of winnable games that way.

as far as special teams I was just doing offense defense but I agree.. they have to be ok at the very least.

The secondary should be fine. All indications are that we will have all four back for camp. I’m expecting a leap from Marvin grant.

agree we need one guy to set the tone as a pass rusher and a threat to hit the QB. I think some may realize just how good Karlaftis was.

I think the run game is dependent on the OL. Meaning, if King Doerue has holes, I expect 700+ yards and 8 or so rushing TDs. If James is full go I expect the duo to combine for 1000+ Yards if the holes are there. If not, neither of these guys look like magicians to me.. so… not good

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Saw some interesting things in the charts Tom put out, and although I’m not gonna give those away, I’ve seen some interesting side discussions. And, I have some time to kill, so I’m gonna give my take. And then @pboiler18, @nat100 and @New Pal Boiler and others can roast me.

mind you, this doesn’t take into account any inside info like secret injuries, guys who have some character/legal/some other inside stuff going on. This is just what we see from the outside.

the good news? I estimated that we had 7 or so guys last year who had established themselves as Big ten caliber starters.. or, guys that half the league or more would be happy to have as a starter. Though that team was top heavy with Karlaftis and Bell, this team had many more players who have proven that much.

I’ll bold players who are ready to mix it up now as Big Ten quality starters in my mind. I Itallicize those who may show that they can contribute (and whom I expect to get a chance even without injury).

so let’s dive in:

QB
Oconnell

Health at this position is the season. Where I differ from some is that Burton just can’t throw. He is not going to be a starter and have it be a tenable situation. My opinion is that if Oconnell was nicked up, the Burton thing might not make it a game, and then you’d be looking at Alaimo next trying to run a scaled back offense. We’d be lucky to eek out a 6-6 bowl season in that scenario and could even see Allen if things got bad enough late. If Oconnell stays healthy, this team could win 8+ games with this years schedule. We have no playable depth here.

RB
Doerue
James
Downing
Mockobee

In my opinion we are gonna be fine with King Doerue, at least similar to what we would see if we had DJ Knox. I’m looking for Doerue to expand his game to inside the tackle runs, but a lot of that depends on.

WR
Wright
Rice

WR
Sheffield
Tracy

Burks

WR
Thompson
Yaseen

Terrell

This is who I believe we will see. And nat can correct me if Terrell belongs on the other side in this system. Obviously, I wouldn’t be surprised if any of the top guys weren’t full go on opening night with the injuries and that, but I think we have enough to make it through with enough of them out there.

Wright if eligible could really be a star. He’s got athleticism that surpasses any wide receiver I can remember on the outside and he looked as though he was getting really comfortable late last season. Thompson could really produce a la Bell at that spot. Bell is obviously better, but Thompson didn’t look far off vs Tennessee. I expect Tracy to make plays all over and be a real good wild card. Then I look for Burks, Sheffield and Terrell to get in the mix and produce as well. Rice and Yaseen are wild cards with the injuries. If healthy, both could bolster this group. After that I look to Sullivan and Canion to get involved and wouldn’t be surprised to see Steptoe to get in the mix.

TE
Durham
Miller

Piferi
Biber

I expect Garrett Miller to take a huge step forward this year. Durham is the senior and will get the opportunities, but I think Miller will become a real headache for opposing defenses. I expect to see the others thrown into the mix here and there when opportunities arise.

LT
Miller

LG
Holstege

C
Hartwig

RG
Mbow
Craig

RT
Moussa
Craig

This is where I think we are gonna be to start the season. How healthy they are and how much better they’ve gotten will tell the story.

If Craig is healthy and looks better, Mbow holds his own at guard, we could be on to something. If not and we have to start Moussa outside with either Craig starting inside or Mbow inside, that’s not as good but could still be ok. Those six I think will play if healthy. If they show up on game one looking pretty good, this offense could be hard for anyone to stop. But that’s a real question mark.

Kaltenberger and Finau if healthy would be the next ones in in my mind, but I’m not expecting much from either.

this is my experience chart of guys I’m gonna expect to see on day one.

DE
Sullivan
Anderson
Sydnor

DT
Deen
Boyd
Hudgins

NT
Johnson
Lewis

Leo
Jenkins

Humpich
Karlaftis

The story of this defense is gonna get told at that DE spot to a great degree. I’m looking to Joe Anderson with his tools to show that he can take a bigger role, because he has the physical tools to be something if he can be something. Sullivan to me has the toughness and is nice as a four best starter.. someone you can put opposite of George karlaftis who will eventually get home. Much like )a very rich man’s) Geo Reviere, he’s low on burst at the position.

The other way this DL will tell the story is by producing one guy who can set a tone. They will play the run fine. Will Purdue have one guy who can be explosive enough to make this a line that Can pressure without blitzing. They were that last year for the first time since 2017.

Johnson, Deen and Jenkins weren’t independently very good at generating pressure. They were good because Karlaftis was being triple teamed. All are fine players but someone needs to be the catalyst. And In this very good group I’m not gonna be surprised at all if Y. Karlaftis comes out at 245+ and can be a real threat.

But overall it should be a good group

WLB
Washington

MLB
Douglas
Fakasiieki
Wahlberg

The 5
Graham

This is what I expect us to start with. I think we will have the three guys in the middle rotating (heavier Douglas and Semisi) and will not pull Graham and Washington much against passing teams. I don’t think we will see Douglas and Semisi together except against Wisconsin.

CB
Trice
Hampton

S
Allen
Jefferson

S
Grant
Stevens

CB
Brown
Denson
Taylor

A really good dangerous group that I think is what some people think this DL will be. If there’s a weakest starter it might be Brown, but not by much to me. I look for him to be able to cover without using his hands so much and I look for Marvin Grant to improve his angles. I think this is the group, along with Oconnell at QB and the TEs, who have a chance to really define this team. I expect to see all backups play, including Taylor in the slot.

I look at this team as having a 6-6 floor and no ceiling with this schedule. If they beat Penn state to open the season, which I don’t think I’ll predict, I don’t know that there’s a game that I just flat out see them losing after that.. on the high end. That means things like Oconnell is healthy, as is the team. Someone becomes the pressure guy on the DL and the OL is at least above average at blocking both the run and pass.

I think all of that happening is a stretch so the most likely pick I’ll make is 8-4, followed by 7-5.

they’ll lose penn state, Wisconsin, Minnesota and 1-2 other surprises.

thanks for letting me kill an hour on a day I needed to kill time
I hope Taylor is better than Brown. And I hope either Caraway or Strickland can get into the rotation.

I don’t know what seasoned means.. he can’t pass. So, if Oconnell goes down, the time he’s down will feel like a long day. I think if Alaimo is the starter 8 wins would be a pipe dream .. he’d likely spend the season having the game gradually slow down for him. You can lose a lot of winnable games that way.

as far as special teams I was just doing offense defense but I agree.. they have to be ok at the very least.

The secondary should be fine. All indications are that we will have all four back for camp. I’m expecting a leap from Marvin grant.

agree we need one guy to set the tone as a pass rusher and a threat to hit the QB. I think some may realize just how good Karlaftis was.

I think the run game is dependent on the OL. Meaning, if King Doerue has holes, I expect 700+ yards and 8 or so rushing TDs. If James is full go I expect the duo to combine for 1000+ Yards if the holes are there. If not, neither of these guys look like magicians to me.. so… not good
Seasoned meaning he knows the offense and is old. I think Burton is a change of pace guy, not a starter. He might be able to help us in the red zone. He might help us in a bad weather game. If we had to start him, I wouldn’t expect to win.
Without AOC playing and playing well, we would struggle to win many games.

I really want to beat Minnesota and Wisconsin in the same year. What do we need to do for that to happen? I hate them both!

Reactions: ejs1111 and ChuckJr
Seasoned meaning he knows the offense and is old. I think Burton is a change of pace guy, not a starter. He might be able to help us in the red zone. He might help us in a bad weather game. If we had to start him, I wouldn’t expect to win.
Without AOC playing and playing well, we would struggle to win many games.

I really want to beat Minnesota and Wisconsin in the same year. What do we need to do for that to happen? I hate them both!
I agree wholeheartedly then..

As far as Wisconsin, I’d love to see two true DEs and then maybe even Douglas and Semisi against them

I hope Taylor is better than Brown. And I hope either Caraway or Strickland can get into the rotation.
Would be nice but my thoughts were based on what we know so far. I do know that if a four star true freshman is ready at Purdue and healthy, you’d be wise to play him some so there’s no transfer frustrations. I’d be surprised if Taylor was better than Jamari brown. I think he will look better if trice is healthy. Probably a much better second best corner than main corner

Would be nice but my thoughts were based on what we know so far. I do know that if a four star true freshman is ready at Purdue and healthy, you’d be wise to play him some so there’s no transfer frustrations. I’d be surprised if Taylor was better than Jamari brown. I think he will look better if trice is healthy. Probably a much better second best corner than main corner
For some reason we’ve had tons of injuries in the secondary and at WR. I think if we are at full strength, we are really good in both spots. Depth is a concern. OL is also a spot that we depth is a concern. Could be really good on the OL if we remain healthy, but if we have to play the 8th or 9th guy on the depth chart…

I am optimistic about the DL. This year I think we are going to be fine, but I think we have some really good young players. I think our depth will be good, although a few of those guys might be too young to make major impacts right away.

I thought Graham was going back to the secondary? You said the 5 so maybe he’s in on nickel plays but when we playa 4-3-4 I would expect more or someone like brothers.

I thought Graham was going back to the secondary? You said the 5 so maybe he’s in on nickel plays but when we playa 4-3-4 I would expect more or someone like brothers.
I call it the 5 cause in a 4-2-5 his spot is the 5th db.. my understanding is his role isn’t changing at all.. maybe it has to do with new coaches and lambert no longer being the main guy … his “safety” spot is where the SSLB Would line up in a 4-3.. he’s the third safety.

lining up deep from the QBs view expect Cam Allen to the left and Marvin Grant to the right.

Reactions: ehuffma1
Yes, my understanding is that we are going to play more of a 4-2-5. That means we take a LB and play a big safety. Against Wisconsin and other run heavy teams we would probably have a more traditional LB in the game for at least some of the game.

Best ten players on the team if healthy … my prediction:

1. Jalen Graham
1a. Aiden O’Connell
3. Milton Wright
4. Cam Allen
5. Cory Trice
6. Broc Thompson
7. Lawrence Johnson
8. Gus Hartwig
9. Payne Durham
10. Marvin Grant

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
Yes, my understanding is that we are going to play more of a 4-2-5. That means we take a LB and play a big safety. Against Wisconsin and other run heavy teams we would probably have a more traditional LB in the game for at least some of the game.
I don’t think so.. if we go bigger against Wisconsin I’d expect more two true DEs (no Leo), Lewis next to Johnson and KD on the field with Semisi.

I’m expecting Marvin Grant to make his presence very well known against Wisconsin

I don’t think so.. if we go bigger against Wisconsin I’d expect more two true DEs (no Leo), Lewis next to Johnson and KD on the field with Semisi.

I’m expecting Marvin Grant to make his presence very well known against Wisconsin
Bigger more physical personnel in the short field. We won’t take our best players off the field too much. Maybe in some specific situations or vs Jumbo personnel.

Bigger more physical personnel in the short field. We won’t take our best players off the field too much. Maybe in some specific situations or vs Jumbo personnel.
If we go big v Wisconsin I’m saying the front seven would be something like

Sullivan
Lewis
Johnson
Anderson
Fakasiieki
Douglas
Graham

And I think we can go that big cause of the range of Cam Allen

I’m drinking the Tyrone Tracy Kool aid.
Think you gotta also put him either 2 or 3 on the RB depth chart as he will bring the legit home run threat back to the backfield. Maybe top 10 also.

Reactions: pboiler18
Best ten players on the team if healthy … my prediction:

1. Jalen Graham
1a. Aiden O’Connell
3. Milton Wright
4. Cam Allen
5. Cory Trice
6. Broc Thompson
7. Lawrence Johnson
8. Gus Hartwig
9. Payne Durham
10. Marvin Grant
Jenkins was showing a lot of promise towards the end of the season. I like his potential.

Between Strickland and Caraway, Caraway has a better chance of making an impact with his speed. Strickland is more physical than burst and the group lacks burst.

Reactions: pboiler18
Jenkins was showing a lot of promise towards the end of the season. I like his potential.
Again off of triple teams on karlaftis. If any of those guys were very good on their own they would have been blowing QBs up .. not saying he’s bad but we won’t know how good till PSU

Between Strickland and Caraway, Caraway has a better chance of making an impact with his speed. Strickland is more physical than burst and the group lacks burst.
They will be on opposite sides right ? Wouldn’t be surprised to see caraway or karlaftis make an impact

I believe this team going to surprise a lot of people once everybody is back heathy. There a lot of weapons for AOC once things get line out. I know three guys on this RB list that got something to prove how wrong teams/fans were about them as a player. As I always say anybody can be a RB but it that true skill set that will standout from the rest to make you say "Oh Man He Good".

RB - In No Special Order (Trust The Process )
King Doerue
Dylan Downing
Sampson James
Tryone Tracy WR/RB
Caleb Lahey - PWO
Devin Mockobee - PWO

WR
Zion Steptoe - Don't sleep on this guy as a true freshman he for real...Just Sayin!

What they going to say when Purdue beats Penn St on Sep 1st Thursday night!!!

I believe this team going to surprise a lot of people once everybody is back heathy. There a lot of weapons for AOC once things get line out. I know three guys on this RB list that got something to prove how wrong teams/fans were about them as a player. As I always say anybody can be a RB but it that true skill set that will standout from the rest to make you say "Oh Man He Good".

RB - In No Special Order (Trust The Process )
King Doerue
Dylan Downing
Sampson James
Tryone Tracy WR/RB
Caleb Lahey - PWO
Devin Mockobee - PWO

WR
Zion Steptoe - Don't sleep on this guy as a true freshman he for real...Just Sayin!

What they going to say when Purdue beats Penn St on Sep 1st Thursday night!!!
I wasn’t listing guys in multiple places. It’s likely Tracy is primarily a slot IF Wright is back, though he’s obviously a guy who can play any receiver or back spot. I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s a huge star but to me his primary spot is 1/1a with sheffield if Wright and Thompson are both back and then we will go from there. All I KNOW is that I expect to see everyone I’ve listed throughout the season. Maybe a tad early to expect that from Lahey, though if he surprises me a la Horvath I’ll be the first to cop to it.

8-4 has been a surprise season in my time following the team since enrolling at the main campus in the fall of 98. I’ve also learned that you barely count chickens against the lower level Big Ten schools let alone penn state. Will I be shocked if we beat them? Not at all. I actually think Franklin is overrated. I’d expect us to get clubbed if their head coach was the guy at Ohio state. It isn’t. But I won’t be counting that one as in the bag anytime soon.

They’re going to bring major league lines into west Lafayette and Clifford returns.

I’ll be looking to see if we have a decent OL against what they bring and a DL who can set the time with pressure. That will let me know early where we are in this game. If we have that, we can win. If not, we probably won’t

BCfanatic2020​

All I'm saying is that RB position going to be interesting battle to watch this summer. They all not going to be the size of Zander Horvath who was a total different animal at RB. But I believe some of these guys will bring the things what Purdue football been missing for awhile as in a RB.

If we can get offense balance this year for AOC. He will have a field day with all those weapons to use...I'm for the Underdog team!

BCfanatic2020​

All I'm saying is that RB position going to be interesting battle to watch this summer. They all not going to be the size of Zander Horvath who was a total different animal at RB. But I believe some of these guys will bring the things what Purdue football been missing for awhile as in a RB.

If we can get offense balance this year for AOC. He will have a field day with all those weapons to use...I'm for the Underdog team!
Balance for O’Connell really depends on the line.

I hear you.. I have my money on Doerue

Reactions: POTFHBTFU

BCfanatic2020​

Lots of battles but RB seems very cut and dry. It’s kings to lose.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Also, I think we may see more fourth year seniors go than ever before after this coming season. I believe (iirc) that Allen, trice and Graham are 4th year guys on defense.. all of whom I could see having NFL opportunities after the year. On offense there’s Milton Wright. Could some or all of these guys go and could NIL play into keeping them?

29011.gif

ADVERTISEMENT