ADVERTISEMENT

The Maryland Loss

pubill

Redshirt Freshman
Jan 2, 2021
In my opinion we had 1 player-Braden play a good game(very good, in fact), maybe Newman was ok also.

Why we lost:

1. When we had a good run going early 2nd we had a 4th year player get a stupid technical and change the momentum. Can not happen, that is what Indiana does.
2. We got crushed on the boards, which is our calling card. I thought Edey played soft tonite and they got to him. He did not seem up to the fight.
3. Loyer was abused on defense the 2nd half and other teams will do that going forward, may need to have more Newman and less Loyer. Loyer has also lost his confidence in his 3 pt shooting. 3 times in the 1st half and a couple in the 2nd, he was passed the ball at 3 pt line, but was not ready to shoot and he was open. This is what he was recruited for, he must step that up or no need to play him much.
4. Morton with a terrible turnover , one of our only 2 in 2nd half against press , due to fact he has no confidence in dribbling the ball up the court. Someone on here suggested he be at the point against the press instead of Braden this week, I said no way. Today showed he has no confidence in handling ball against pressure.
5. Furst disappeared again, gave us ZERO. Need him to board and finish down low.
6.Jenkins could not get going, got lost on defense a couple of times.

You can all blame the refs , but we got whipped and outcompeted. We did not bring the fight tonite , other than Braden.

Need to refocus and the vets need to step up and lead and we will get this turned around. It would be a shame not to get the Big 10 title outright.

\

Yeah Zach seems really frustrated. All of the attention he has been getting in the press as well as under the basket is really weighing on him. Hoping he can refocus and lead us back to the top.

Zach needs his coach to stick up for him. He is clearly frustrated and Painter just continues to be laissez faire about his guys getting pushed, bodied, held, etc. The frustration boiled over with Mason and his technical changed the game. I’m not saying you have to be Fran or Izzo but ffs they even showed the scars on Edey’s arms before the game. I’d be frustrated too if I were Zach. If coach isn’t going to put up a fight, why should he?

In my opinion we had 1 player-Braden play a good game(very good, in fact), maybe Newman was ok also.

Why we lost:

1. When we had a good run going early 2nd we had a 4th year player get a stupid technical and change the momentum. Can not happen, that is what Indiana does.
2. We got crushed on the boards, which is our calling card. I thought Edey played soft tonite and they got to him. He did not seem up to the fight.
3. Loyer was abused on defense the 2nd half and other teams will do that going forward, may need to have more Newman and less Loyer. Loyer has also lost his confidence in his 3 pt shooting. 3 times in the 1st half and a couple in the 2nd, he was passed the ball at 3 pt line, but was not ready to shoot and he was open. This is what he was recruited for, he must step that up or no need to play him much.
4. Morton with a terrible turnover , one of our only 2 in 2nd half against press , due to fact he has no confidence in dribbling the ball up the court. Someone on here suggested he be at the point against the press instead of Braden this week, I said no way. Today showed he has no confidence in handling ball against pressure.
5. Furst disappeared again, gave us ZERO. Need him to board and finish down low.
6.Jenkins could not get going, got lost on defense a couple of times.

You can all blame the refs , but we got whipped and outcompeted. We did not bring the fight tonite , other than Braden.

Need to refocus and the vets need to step up and lead and we will get this turned around. It would be a shame not to get the Big 10 title outright.

\
This late season lack of play is starting to seem like last year's team in repeat. I hope we can break this streak.

One question though, is anyone else getting sick of seeing students run onto the court after every game that we play? Sorry, we were not #1 in this game when we played Maryland tonight. We actually did not look like we were in the top 25 the way we played.

I remember the Baby Boilers dropping 3 in a row that looked a lot like this. I also remember how badly Carsen Edwards was shooting going into the tournament.

Hopefully this team will turn it around.

Team is looking soft the last few games. Edey needs to bring his hockey mentality, Smith and Gillis bring toughness along with Jenkins to some degree. But Morton, Furst, and Loyer have been disappointing. Besides that no outside scoring. Not the way to end the season getting ready for tournaments. Playing this way nothing is for sure in the remaining games.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Team is looking soft the last few games. Edey needs to bring his hockey mentality, Smith and Gillis bring toughness along with Jenkins to some degree. But Morton, Furst, and Loyer have been disappointing. Besides that no outside scoring. Not the way to end the season getting ready for tournaments. Playing this way nothing is for sure in the remaining games.
Morton, Furst, and Loyer played 74 minutes and scored 6 points total all by Loyer. Obviously that’s not going to get it done. Hopefully they break out of their slump soon.

Reactions: Boiler8285
I remember the Baby Boilers dropping 3 in a row that looked a lot like this. I also remember how badly Carsen Edwards was shooting going into the tournament.

Hopefully this team will turn it around.
I was thinking the same thing. This team isn't dead. They are very talented. Just need to grow up fast. They are going against teams with their backs against the wall desperate to get into the tournament.

Newman has a better all around game than Morton. He is more athletic, good size, plays decent defense and most importantly is more of an offensive threat than Morton. When Morton is on the court...his defender can double team Edey w/o the other team paying the consequences of doing so. Purdue can not afford to play 5 vs 4 on the offensive end of the court...and not take full advantage of Edey in the middle. He is fouled on many shots made w/o a 2 and 1! That's on the refs...hopefully refs in the NCAA Tournament will call a foul a foul (call a spade, a spade, please!)

It is time to make the change of minutes on the court...and limit Morton's minutes and give those to Newman.

Reactions: rjmpu82
ADVERTISEMENT