ADVERTISEMENT

The Kiss

My mind races to Jimmy Oliver, Lynn Shackelford (sp?), Sam jones and Hondo Havlicek

gotta admit, Jimmy O was one of the first who crossed my mind!

Dude just kept hitting threes in the square!

Forgot about Hondo's skills, and many others.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnn..... !

I was in the driveway yesterday, trying to put my son "out" in a game of HORSE, and I kept missing the square.

D@MMIT! It's not supposed to be that HARD!

As I was typing Hondo my mind raced to Purdue grad in Texas. ;)

Heard you TJ.....yes, and more recently, Tim Duncan....John "Hondo" Havlicek was a master at the art.

424mfl.gif

My mind races to Jimmy Oliver, Lynn Shackelford (sp?), Sam jones and Hondo Havlicek
Jimmy Oliver was the only player that I ever saw bank 3 pointers. I remember TV announcers always said that cliche crap, "Did he call it" when he banked those 3 pointers.

Reactions: tjreese
Don Nelson also put em high off the glass as did Sidney Wicks and Curtis Rowe from the glory UCLA days.
I recall some from Don, but really rememer his one handed FT shooting. Sidney and Curtis were at the end of the UCLA glory days. My neighbor was on the Jacksonville team

Reactions: Schnelk
Don Nelson also put em high off the glass as did Sidney Wicks and Curtis Rowe from the glory UCLA days.
I think what we have accomplished was to say the bank shot is not as common as years ago. I grew up calling it the "bank" board and others called it the "back" board. One suggests a use (to bank) and the other (back) to keep the ball from going out of bounds... ;)

You bank your shot off of the backboard. I have never heard of bankboard.

You bank your shot off of the backboard. I have never heard of bankboard.
This was a topic of conversation a while back. Most (I think a younger group, but not all) were used to "back" board. I grew up with coaches calling it a bankboard re-enforcing the use. Not sure if it was somewhat of a time thing, area or just the coaches around the time I was growing up. In this thread it is interesting that the "bank" shot is something many don't remember or were exposed. Anyway, yes...this topic had some interest before and MOST remember "back" board and not the board you bank off of or bank board. ;)

I recall some from Don, but really rememer his one handed FT shooting. Sidney and Curtis were at the end of the UCLA glory days. My neighbor was on the Jacksonville team
That was a strange way Don shot free throws. I used to make our team practice and shoot backboard shots during my AAU coaching days. It was a much easier shot to make and it made the shot much harder to block when shooting intermediate shots. But hey who shoots 8 or 10 footers anymore. Lol!

That was a strange way Don shot free throws. I used to make our team practice and shoot backboard shots during my AAU coaching days. It was a much easier shot to make and it made the shot much harder to block when shooting intermediate shots. But hey who shoots 8 or 10 footers anymore. Lol!

Nellie was one of a kind and of course a former Big Ten player (for TMHR).

RHhCVuS.gif

He also had a pretty significant "bank shot" in the '69 Finals against the Lakers - where he "banked" it in off the rim. :)

Bt91Dm.gif

Reactions: tjreese and SKYDOG

RHhCVuS.gif

He also had a pretty significant "bank shot" in the '69 Finals against the Lakers - where he "banked" it in off the rim. :)

Bt91Dm.gif
Not quite with Don's FT form, but Ernie Hobbie had Mike Robinson starting under the basket shooting one handed until he was behind the FT line as a drill...

Reactions: SKYDOG and Schnelk
The bankshot aka the kiss off glass is a beauty when executed properly. Watching old tape of Carsen and his tough angle bankers were amazing. He truly is a special talent. BoilerUp!

Bank shot......what first came to mind was the crazy off target bank shot Mitch Richmond of K-State made in the first half of the NCAAT game, that got him going hot, & that ended up being the difference at the end after the 3 Amigo Boilers came back.....but lost it on a late TO......

RHhCVuS.gif

Bt91Dm.gif

Funny how he has a pretty normal jumper in live action from the free throw line but then his actual free throws look like that...

I think the art has been largely lost due to announcers proclaiming "nothing but net", "swish", etc. There is no history of glamorizing the bank shot. It's more likely announcers act like making such a shot is an embarrassment. Kids want to be in highlights.

Bank shot......what first came to mind was the crazy off target bank shot Mitch Richmond of K-State made in the first half of the NCAAT game, that got him going hot, & that ended up being the difference at the end after the 3 Amigo Boilers came back.....but lost it on a late TO......
As I recall a bank behind the arc another 5 feet or so almost dead on. Everett off the leg. Sadly Purdue beat them by 20 earlier in the year running the Flex offense (I remember since I was very familiar with it and ran it myself) against their matchup. Later in the year KSU went man... :(

ADVERTISEMENT