ADVERTISEMENT

The dread continues...........

SunnyFL24

Redshirt Freshman
Nov 30, 2013
.............now the BB team loses to N. FL at home..............tough to be black and gold.......

I know this is the football board, but just one quick thought on the North Florida loss:

I don't think it's fatal. Purdue lost a game like this in each of 2006-7 (@ Indiana State) and 2007-8 (Wofford) the last time Painter was trying to rebuild the program. Purdue made the NCAA tournament both years.

I do think Saturday's loss makes the Vandy and ND games more important. Purdue will have to make up that non-conference RPI ground somewhere, and those two games are the best remaining possibilities.

Originally posted by rgarlitz:
I know this is the football board, but just one quick thought on the North Florida loss:

I don't think it's fatal. Purdue lost a game like this in each of 2006-7 (@ Indiana State) and 2007-8 (Wofford) the last time Painter was trying to rebuild the program. Purdue made the NCAA tournament both years.

I do think Saturday's loss makes the Vandy and ND games more important. Purdue will have to make up that non-conference RPI ground somewhere, and those two games are the best remaining possibilities.
There were some dreadfully fundamental errors in those last two minutes. Im more concerned that about those than I am the loss.

True, 17, but I still think the bigger question is: do we have fundamental confidence in what this team can become?

I say yes; I think this group will learn from Saturday and move forward rather than revert back to the bad old habits we've seen the past two years.

I remember the Indiana State loss from 2006 well. That team was similar to this year's in that it was loaded with potential, but it was still very fragile when the game was played. Painter lost his temper, got T-ed up, and when Indiana State took control Purdue couldn't respond. From what I recall, Purdue lost to Wofford in 2007 primarily because of poor perimeter defense down the stretch - not altogether different from Saturday's game.

My point is that rebounding Purdue teams used both of those games as a learning experiences, and they moved forward.

I can't guarantee that that's what's going to happen this year. But I think there's a good possibility it will.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT