ADVERTISEMENT

The Cliz

Damn...…….all of you know I'm a big Cliz fan. Prayers to him and his family during this difficult time.

Purdue’s Matt Painter

@CoachPainter

Continue to do what you can. Cliz is one of my best friends, he means so much to our program and is one of the most-respected people in radio.

Let’s help him beat cancer.

Purdue Men’s Basketball

@BoilerBall

We know The Cliz is going to fight like hell. #OnlyTheStrong

Help in any way you can.

https://www.gofundme.com/larry-clisby-cancer-fund …

4:15 PM - Jul 21, 2018

Friends of the Cliz and @PurdueBasketball, @boilerballUNITE!

Larry Clisby -- the voice of Purdue Men’s Basketball -- and recent inductee to the Indiana Sportswriters & Sportscasters Hall of Fame, has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer and Metastatic Brain Cancer.

Larry has limited healthcare coverage through Medicare, and needs complementary medical treatments that are very costly and crucial to his recovery.

Funds will be used to assist with treatment, care and comfort needs specifically tailored to address the cancers Larry has been diagnosed with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and any funds not used will be donated to the National Foundation for Cancer Research ( www.nfcr.org).
https://twitter.com/CoachPainter/status/1020764325680697344

From Hammer and Rails:

The goal for the campaign is $10,000 and I’m thrilled to say that as of this writing $14,035 has been raised including an extremely generous $10,000 from Coach Matt Painter. What a thing to see. I’ve only been lucky enough to speak with the Cliz on a few occasions yet I feel like I’ve just received great news for a dear friend. Thank you to everyone for showing the good in the world and the good in the Purdue community. Now, let’s go kick cancer’s ass!

Damn...…….all of you know I'm a big Cliz fan. Prayers to him and his family during this difficult time.

Purdue’s Matt Painter

@CoachPainter

Continue to do what you can. Cliz is one of my best friends, he means so much to our program and is one of the most-respected people in radio.

Let’s help him beat cancer.

Purdue Men’s Basketball

@BoilerBall

We know The Cliz is going to fight like hell. #OnlyTheStrong

Help in any way you can.

https://www.gofundme.com/larry-clisby-cancer-fund …

4:15 PM - Jul 21, 2018

Friends of the Cliz and @PurdueBasketball, @boilerballUNITE!

Larry Clisby -- the voice of Purdue Men’s Basketball -- and recent inductee to the Indiana Sportswriters & Sportscasters Hall of Fame, has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer and Metastatic Brain Cancer.

Larry has limited healthcare coverage through Medicare, and needs complementary medical treatments that are very costly and crucial to his recovery.

Funds will be used to assist with treatment, care and comfort needs specifically tailored to address the cancers Larry has been diagnosed with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and any funds not used will be donated to the National Foundation for Cancer Research ( www.nfcr.org).
Just donated I never met him but I no of a couple ppl who I no passed bcuz of this desease and I want to help all I can to make sure this icon receives the best treatment possible. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Saw Basil donated. Hated it when he left, seemed like all understood it was necessary but seemed like he couldn’t get out of his own way. Hope things are going well for him.

I saw that, along with many names linked to past or current players, coaches, the BOT, and fellow broadcasters.
What a class move by CMP.

Kind of choked me up a little, seeing the outpouring of support, for a local icon.
I know there was, but I can't remember listening to Purdue broadcasts on the radio, before Cliz became "The Voice" of Purdue Basketball.

Prays for Cliz! I hope everyone will make a donation!
I am an IU fan . I work a lot on Saturdays and weeknights so I listen to a number of the Purdue games while doing my work. I have always enjoyed listening to Larry Clisby. I think he does an excellent job. I know how much we IU fans love Don Fischer so I can imagine how special Larry Clisby is to Purdue and its fans. I hope and pray for the best for Larry Clisby. I am sure that he means a lot to everyone associated with the Purdue Basketball program.

This is horrible. My dad had this exact same thing. He passed at the end of 2016. I hope he beats it but in honesty it is terminal. I hate to be negative but it is the truth. Once it metastasis to the brain it is tough. My prayers for him and his family.

Reactions: SKYDOG
He's battling Stage 4 lung cancer and metastatic brain cancer. My thoughts go out to him.
Having gone through brain cancer with my late wife, I feel so bad for the man and his family. But the good news is I've had two friends who have recently been declared in remission from stage 3 and 4 lung cancer. Prayers for a full recovery.

And it's going to take a lot more than just $10K for treatments.

My brother in law (David Bradshaw) passed away last year after battling brain cancer for two years. Dave was a state champion swimmer at Jeff and went on to be one of the top (Master Technical Sergeant) members of the Air Force's Para Rescue team (Special Forces). The family and the VA spent way more than $200,000 trying to battle this disease with immunotherapy. It appears that there is a high incidence of brain cancer among Iraq veterans especially among Para Rescue members (perhaps from the ordnance they used made from "cleaned" nuclear waste). His widow has been trying to get benefits from the VA but the VA wants information about his doctors and meds. But, when she asks the Dept of Defense for his records, they will not release them because of the secret missions he was on and his security clearance. Classic example of one branch of the government not cooperating with another branch.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Very saddened from this sudden news......a very good man and dedicated to his craft.

I know all of the Boilermaker family is praying for Cliz and his family.....the odds are long, but it's heartwarming to see the support and affection. Like many of you, I know he will remain steadfast in the face of adversity.....like he always does.

Praying for you Cliz.

This hit me especially hard as well.

A little over a month ago, my sister was diagnosed with early stages of breast cancer.
She had had a car accident approx 10 mos ago, and had developed a small lump, but it was initially diagnosed as scar tissue from the accident, and was only further diagnosed as cancer when it became larger, and more troublesome (as well as it being time for her routine Mammogram).

She had surgery about 10 days ago, and it seems at this point to have been successful, and she may get away with only needing a few additional radiation treatments to ensure the cancer is not still present/active/spreading (obviously I know exactly NOTHING about medicine), but she is a nurse, so I trust her evaluation and optimism that she is one of the lucky ones, and it could have been much worse.

Through the process, we have felt we had to be very strong, and very positive (for her), and I never faltered in my faith that through prayer, God would take care of this for her/us. I never even considered that she was in any real danger.

Fast forward to the breaking of the news about "The Cliz", and I immediately teared up, and was overcome by just an unbelievable sadness.
I asked my wife if maybe the timing of the two occurrences maybe had an effect on my reaction to this story (and considering how we had had "to be brave" facing the situation in our own immediate family)? I still don't have a definitive answer; but again, I feel almost like Cliz IS "one of the family", and certainly that he is "one of our own".

I grew up, and even grew old with him during all the good times, the bad times, and the seemingly unluckiest of times. We've all shared his unconstrained excitement during the biggest of victories, his utter despondency during the biggest losses (and even his sheer disgust when fate/luck/injuries had once again ruined what was once such a promising year/season).
It's hard to put my thoughts into words, other than to say he's been through it all with us as Boiler fans, and he means a lot to me and my family, as fans and as people.

This hit me especially hard as well.

A little over a month ago, my sister was diagnosed with early stages of breast cancer.
She had had a car accident approx 10 mos ago, and had developed a small lump, but it was initially diagnosed as scar tissue from the accident, and was only further diagnosed as cancer when it became larger, and more troublesome (as well as it being time for her routine Mammogram).

She had surgery about 10 days ago, and it seems at this point to have been successful, and she may get away with only needing a few additional radiation treatments to ensure the cancer is not still present/active/spreading (obviously I know exactly NOTHING about medicine), but she is a nurse, so I trust her evaluation and optimism that she is one of the lucky ones, and it could have been much worse.

Through the process, we have felt we had to be very strong, and very positive (for her), and I never faltered in my faith that through prayer, God would take care of this for her/us. I never even considered that she was in any real danger.

Fast forward to the breaking of the news about "The Cliz", and I immediately teared up, and was overcome by just an unbelievable sadness.
I asked my wife if maybe the timing of the two occurrences maybe had an effect on my reaction to this story (and considering how we had had "to be brave" facing the situation in our own immediate family)? I still don't have a definitive answer; but again, I feel almost like Cliz IS "one of the family", and certainly that he is "one of our own".

I grew up, and even grew old with him during all the good times, the bad times, and the seemingly unluckiest of times. We've all shared his unconstrained excitement during the biggest of victories, his utter despondency during the biggest losses (and even his sheer disgust when fate/luck/injuries had once again ruined what was once such a promising year/season).
It's hard to put my thoughts into words, other than to say he's been through it all with us as Boiler fans, and he means a lot to me and my family, as fans and as people.

Very well said. I love the Cliz……..can't look at a player hitting a 3 without thinking "Bullseye!". I'm one of those fans that listens to the radio while watching the TV......and typing on the computer LOL. Truly hope your sister is cancer free.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT