ADVERTISEMENT

The biggest problem is recruiting and that's on the coaches

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
I didn't look it up but I'm pretty sure Hazell's 2+ recruiting classes were ranked near the bottom of the B10. That's the major culprit for the lack of success on the field. We simply don't have the same level of talent as other teams. That's squarely on the coaches and their inability to sell the program.

Now, you can make a bunch of excuses when it's might be harder to recruit to Purdue (which I don't buy) but the bottom line is that a coach like DH who was brought in to rebuild the program, hasn't done the job of selling it to B10 level talent and getting high school kids excited about playing at Purdue.

If by some miracle, Urban Meyer or Nick Saban or some other very high profile name (I'm not saying we're going to go out and steal these guys from OSU or bama) came to Purdue, would the recruiting be different? My point is, I believe the right coach can get Purdue back to competing for high level Bowl games, but it starts with the head coach (or athletic director).

Reactions: Inspector100
You're right that it's all on the coaches but it's not ALL recruiting. There is enough talent on the field to beat Bowling Green. There's just not a good enough staff to make it happen.

This is pretty much true, but the talent gap between Purdue and these other schools like Marshall and BG is not as big as it SHOULD be. Purdue has the least amount of talent in the Big Ten. I'm so tired of hearing people talk about all of our 2 star recruits (which is nearly half of our team) being diamonds in the rough.

I didn't look it up but I'm pretty sure Hazell's 2+ recruiting classes were ranked near the bottom of the B10. That's the major culprit for the lack of success on the field. We simply don't have the same level of talent as other teams. That's squarely on the coaches and their inability to sell the program.]

Lets use the BG wide receiver Dieter as an example. He caught alot of passes in high school playing in northern indiana. But power5 schools passed on him. I heard the knock was not athletic enough. Sooo...we decide to play off him 20 yards cause he suddenly is a game-changer? We didnt want him because he wasnt good enough...but now we fear him? Makes no sense to me.

So for me it is not about the talent we put on the field. It is how we opt to use (or not use) that talent.[/QUOTE]

Lets use the BG wide receiver Dieter as an example. He caught alot of passes in high school playing in northern indiana. But power5 schools passed on him. I heard the knock was not athletic enough. Sooo...we decide to play off him 20 yards cause he suddenly is a game-changer? We didnt want him because he wasnt good enough...but now we fear him? Makes no sense to me.

So for me it is not about the talent we put on the field. It is how we opt to use (or not use) that talent.
[/QUOTE]
First thing my buddy said to me on the opening drive was "how come we don't have a receiver like that?"

This is pretty much true, but the talent gap between Purdue and these other schools like Marshall and BG is not as big as it SHOULD be. Purdue has the least amount of talent in the Big Ten. I'm so tired of hearing people talk about all of our 2 star recruits (which is nearly half of our team) being diamonds in the rough.
Also when you have B- rated facilities compared to 90% of the other Big schools then we have to find that COACH. The one that can look at what he has on the field and hire a staff like Tiller did then we will compete. Winning always brings in better recruits.

Reactions: Inspector100
You're right that it's all on the coaches but it's not ALL recruiting. There is enough talent on the field to beat Bowling Green. There's just not a good enough staff to make it happen.

Your exactly right. We have enough talent to beat Marshal and BG but the coaching doesn't put us in position to do it.

Your exactly right. We have enough talent to beat Marshal and BG but the coaching doesn't put us in position to do it.
Sure our recruiting sucks, but we play a bunch of schools later this year with similar recruiting. It will come down to coaching. If we win 3 more, they get to stick around another year.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite?Conference=Big-Ten

If we win 3 more that's a total of 4 wins. Is that really making progress?

If we win 3 more that's a total of 4 wins. Is that really making progress?

It is enough for DH to not get fired, for sure. Whether it is progress or not is up for us to debate. But there's no way he gets fired with 4 wins.

Recruiting has been a major disappointment under Hazell. Of course, it is not very difficult to recruit at Ohio State. He won at Kent State with someone else's players. In retrospect, perhaps we should not be surprised that he cannot keep strong in-state kids from leaving the state.

Reactions: Redhotfill
Also when you have B- rated facilities compared to 90% of the other Big schools then we have to find that COACH. The one that can look at what he has on the field and hire a staff like Tiller did then we will compete. Winning always brings in better recruits.

Purdue's facilities are NOT bad. Are they as nice as Ohio State? No. But there's absolutely nothing "offensive" about Purdue's football facilities. Northwestern and Maryland don't even have indoor practice facilities.

That being said, there are things that you CAN sell kids on at Purdue. You haven't seen schools like Stanford, Duke and Northwestern have success because they're bringing in Prop 48 kids. And they certainly aren't selling them on packed stadiums or hot girls.

I mean, 3 years ago, people were saying we can't get recruits cause we don't have multiple uniforms and alternate unis, etc. Now we hardly wear a duplicated uniform and our recruiting still blows. I'm just tired of hearing 'we don't have this or that' and that's why we can't do stuff.

It all comes down to having the right coaching staff. If we have the right coaching staff, we can wear 1 home and 1 away uniform a year and have more success. If we have the right coaching staff, we can demolish Mollenkopf and practice on the intramural fields and we can have more success. The list goes on and on.

Coach isn't hungry. Give a MAC coach a bare bones contract for 3 years with a good incentive patio and larger options if extended and the drive to succeed is greater. Give the same coach 2 a year guaranteed for 6 and if he's not driven to over achieve you maybe end up where we currently are.

Coach isn't hungry. Give a MAC coach a bare bones contract for 3 years with a good incentive patio and larger options if extended and the drive to succeed is greater. Give the same coach 2 a year guaranteed for 6 and if he's not driven to over achieve you maybe end up where we currently are.

What coach is taking that deal? So your strategy is to find a coach to take a stupid deal for him? Sounds legit.

Utah and Boise State mostly get 3 star guys and those schools can't be that great I've never been but Utah is morrmans mountains or desert and Utah is rolling this year

There's about 20 schools that are comparable to Purdue in several ways from facilities to location to campus life etc but have much, much better football programs than Purdue.

Hell, you could make the argument that MSU has many of the same challenges facing Purdue, yet they seem to overcome them just fine.

It all still comes down to how well the head coach can sell the program and the opportunity.
If it didn't, Notre Dame would never have a bad season or be ranked lower than #3 in recruiting.

What coach is taking that deal? So your strategy is to find a coach to take a stupid deal for him? Sounds legit.
Right and then along came BURK and a coach from Kent State who had 1 winning season says pay me 2mil a year and I will be your huckle berry. Of course Burk ask you want a 6 year deal.

Utah and Boise State mostly get 3 star guys and those schools can't be that great I've never been but Utah is morrmans mountains or desert and Utah is rolling this year
I can't speak to Boise State, but Utah's team is 50% jucos and transfers. Purdue is probably not going to go in that direction.

I can't speak to Boise State, but Utah's team is 50% jucos and transfers. Purdue is probably not going to go in that direction.

Why not? I think this team needs a big time infusion of decent and experienced football players.

Coaching is the #1 problem but I will give you that recruiting is also problem #1A. I keep seeing people on here talk down Minny's program but I was over there and Kill has three 4 stars and a whole load of 3 stars committed for next year. So far he's been doing it with smoke, mirrors and coaching ability. If he starts to consistently get 4s and 3s we'll never touch them with our recruiting and coaching. IU hasn't seen much of a bump quality-wise yet in recruiting but if they win 3 more and get to a better than toilet level bowl I think they'll start to rise as well leaving us farther in the dirt that we are now.

Coaching is the #1 problem but I will give you that recruiting is also problem #1A. I keep seeing people on here talk down Minny's program but I was over there and Kill has three 4 stars and a whole load of 3 stars committed for next year. So far he's been doing it with smoke, mirrors and coaching ability. If he starts to consistently get 4s and 3s we'll never touch them with our recruiting and coaching. IU hasn't seen much of a bump quality-wise yet in recruiting but if they win 3 more and get to a better than toilet level bowl I think they'll start to rise as well leaving us farther in the dirt that we are now.

The problem is - Minnesota is not loaded with talent, yet they're more talented than we are. Until people start coming to grips that half of our team is basically 2 star players that should be playing at the MAC level or similar (and maybe not even starting there), they can continue thinking we set a new record for "diamonds in the rough" each year and be in complete denial.

And quite frankly, IU has done better recruiting in the last few years.

In the last 3 recruiting classes, IU has had 7 four stars, 47 three stars and 17 two stars.

Purdue has had 2 four stars (Etling one), 35 three stars and 31 two stars.

That's not an insignificant talent differential - particularly when it comes to DEPTH which is critical in football. We have nearly twice as many 2 stars on our team than IU in the last 3 classes!

Yes, we have decent talent that can fill a good chunk of our starting lineup. But that's NOT how football is played. There's a 2 deep for a reason. We do not have depth - period.

I didn't look it up but I'm pretty sure Hazell's 2+ recruiting classes were ranked near the bottom of the B10. That's the major culprit for the lack of success on the field. We simply don't have the same level of talent as other teams. That's squarely on the coaches and their inability to sell the program.

Now, you can make a bunch of excuses when it's might be harder to recruit to Purdue (which I don't buy) but the bottom line is that a coach like DH who was brought in to rebuild the program, hasn't done the job of selling it to B10 level talent and getting high school kids excited about playing at Purdue.

If by some miracle, Urban Meyer or Nick Saban or some other very high profile name (I'm not saying we're going to go out and steal these guys from OSU or bama) came to Purdue, would the recruiting be different? My point is, I believe the right coach can get Purdue back to competing for high level Bowl games, but it starts with the head coach (or athletic director).

You honestly think they're recruiting straight up and that we couldn't get good classes if we just bought kids?

You honestly think they're recruiting straight up and that we couldn't get good classes if we just bought kids?

FORGET Urban Meyer and what not.

We're not getting those kinds of classes no matter what right now.

You're deflecting the issue of us being TERRIBLE at recruiting. I just posted above - in the last 3 classes, we've brought in twice as many two stars as IU. IU!

We're not just mixed in with the lower half of the Big Ten in terms of talent. We're at the bottom. Talking about "buying kids" is just a distraction right now from the issue at hand.

You're deflecting the issue of us being TERRIBLE at recruiting. I just posted above - in the last 3 classes, we've brought in twice as many two stars as IU. IU!

We're not just mixed in with the lower half of the Big Ten in terms of talent. We're at the bottom. Talking about "buying kids" is just a distraction right now from the issue at hand.

We don't need Urban Meyer, just someone who can sell like Meyer.

Is it Miss St or Ole Miss that's been doing great in recruiting the last 3-4 years? I'll be that some of their loser fan base said "We can't compete with LSU, Bama, and UF for top SEC talent....."

Well, guess what? They are now. The coach has come in and sold the program, sold the atmosphere, sold the oppty to beat those other blue blood programs.

So you think Ohio state is the only one? That's precious

So you think Ohio state is the only one? That's precious

Do sketchy things happen? Are rules bent as far as possible? Sure, but if you think Ohio State needs to give players money to get good recruits - yeah, they mostly don't.

Secondly, again, we're not talking about the Ohio States, Alabamas, etc. I'm talking flipping Minnesota and IU. You think IU is paying three star recruits to come there? I'm gonna guess no. And they've recruited significantly better than us!

People aren't giving money under the table to 3 star and fringe 4 star players. So stop acting like that's what is holding us back. Changing the subject to "Ohio State pays players to come there" accomplishes nothing other than distracting from the real problem: This staff is just NOT good at recruiting.

Reactions: Statey

Exactly!
Hazell's three (3) classes have been the bottom of the barrel. Performance on the field (5-23) to date confirms that recruit ratings matter and/or the staff is unable to develop players on board to compete in the Big Ten.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT