ADVERTISEMENT

That was Purdue’s best chance in years

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
WI was wobbled & hobbled by as many injuries to starters as Purdue, and we came out flat on Offense, usual suspect on defense with no corrections, and got our butts handed to us to be 0-16 against them.

WI made corrections in season in coaching and has done that a few other times in the last decade (OL coach + 2 H.C.’s) and find ways to get better.

If there are no changes now, this season slips sideways.

Purdue let their best chance to beat WI slip thru their hands which made yesterday’s loss that much more stinging. Makes me wonder how long this drought continues?

Last edited:
WI was wobbled & hobbled by as many injuries to starters as Purdue, and we came out flat on Offense, usual suspect on defense with no corrections, and got our butts handed to us to be 0-16 against them.

WI made corrections in season in coaching and has done that a few other times in the last decade (OL coach + 2 H.C.’s) and find ways to get better.

If there are no changes now, this season slips sideways.

Purdue let their best chance to beat WI slip thru their hands which made yesterday’s loss that much more stinging. Makes me wonder how long this drought continues?
same can be said for the psu game

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I posted several games ago that Purdue could win the rest of their games, but could also possibly lose all of their remaining games just as easily! I can’t say with certainty they will beat Illinois or Iowa! Surely yesterday’s team was not going to beat nobody!

Reactions: indyogb
I posted several games ago that Purdue could win the rest of their games, but could also possibly lose all of their remaining games just as easily! I can’t say with certainty they will beat Illinois or Iowa! Surely yesterday’s team was not going to beat nobody!
Agree, yesterday’s team could beat no team in the West. Please don’t call me Shirley! 😀

So did you stop at woodmans for the cheese curds?
No, typical tailgate fare of brats, chips and dips, beer and booze.
Family wanted a regular supper after the game so we went to a nice Mexican restaurant before dropping g daughter off in Fitchburg.

What do you mean GTFO? Bullshit! That team performance might be an outlier, but it couldn’t beat IU or NW yesterday.
The hell it couldn’t. Nw is putrid. I get you’re emotion but perhaps you should go outside and get some air

Nat I believe you should also get some air and stop trying to defend this team! It laid an egg yesterday! There are many that said upon review that UW stopped Purdue and the tapes proved it, but the refs felt bad for us and gave us that touchdown!

Nat I believe you should also get some air and stop trying to defend this team! It laid an egg yesterday! There are many that said upon review that UW stopped Purdue and the tapes proved it, but the refs felt bad for us and gave us that touchdown!
For sure it laid an egg. CLaiming they could lose out is patently stupid.

Iowa
@ Illinois
Northwestern
@ Indiana

I'd say 3-1/2-2 are the more likely scenarios, then 4-0. Canon Trophy game in Champaign-Urbana is going to be a Battle Royale....Illinois has given up a grand total of 29 points at home this season (conference games were Minnesota and Iowa so far).

JMHO

Reactions: purduepat1969
Iowa
@ Illinois
Northwestern
@ Indiana

I'd say 3-1/2-2 are the more likely scenarios, then 4-0. Canon Trophy game in Champaign-Urbana is going to be a Battle Royale....Illinois has given up a grand total of 29 points at home this season (conference games were Minnesota and Iowa so far).

JMHO
That’s probably right. I wouldn’t be surprised if we lost to illinois

Agree it was the best chance to break the streak. Disagree on the outlook for the rest of the season. We played crappy against them last year too. Every season has had ups and downs, generally finishing strong. Wisconsin just has the “how to beat Purdue” playbook.

I’d didn’t say lose out. I do believe that performance turned in yesterday by Purdue would have lost to any team in B1G West including putrid NW. I believe it was an outlier due to Offensive performance of Aidan. The only bright spot was Devon Mockobee for the most part. Our defensive secondary remains constantly bad and must have a change.
For the record, I took a 3.5 mile walk this early afternoon in great weather and it does improve the mood.

Reactions: purduepat1969
My comments were initially made after the FAU game. And Purdue has proven in every game, they could win every game or possibly lose every game! Was the UW game any different than the Maryland or Nebraska game? Purdue has shown some flashes of real lack of discipline and fundamentals. Was the uw game the norm we should expect going forward? Other teams usually improve as the season progresses. Purdue always seems to regress!

I reread the thread about us losing to UW in the Orton year. We fell apart after that game. will we fall apart this year? History has not been kind to us. We should easily beat nw and IU. But will we? Which team will show up? In the past, Purdue has lost to plenty of inferior. Teams! We were the first big 10 team to lose to a mac team. And then we repeated that accomplishment. The basketball team follows a similar trend! We play to the level of our. Competition! We can beat anybody but we can also lose to anybody! A qb throwing 3 interceptions is not going to beat nw or IU.

name calling me is not going to solve Purdue’s inconsistencies! I don’t want Purdue to lose! But I’ve come to the point that if they do, I’m going to tell you so and the reasons why. And if a person like myself who professes to know very little can see it, the problems/issues are very kbvious.

nat you’ve been on this board a long time. You have to know how many times posters have complained about Purdue’s lack of depth. That’s been a recurring post for the past decade. Is it ever going yo be fixed or even addressed by Purdue’s coaches? I highly doubt it! Yes, there will be names against a depth chart. But the issues will always be there.

neither Iowa or Wisconsin has tremendous talent. Their skill positions are mostly all 3 stars . But they develop their players and play fundamental football.

when are our stupid penalties going to stop? When are our mistakes going to stop? When will we stop complaining about the refs? The refs are just as bad for everybody else.

at the beginning of the year one could look at the schedule and say this should be an 11-1 year. But realistically most people would predict 7-8 wins at most. Why? Because Purdue is known for looking awesome but always finding a way to lose close games! It’s no longer an exception. It’s become the norm.

going forward if the game is close, I expect us to find a way to lose. It’s like clockwork! It would be nice if we won our last 4 games! We have the talent. But I wouldn’t be shocked if we went 0-4. Two weeks ago I would never have predicted the Packers would lose to the Giants. They followed that with a loss at home to the Jets! So rather than making any predictions I’ll sit. Back and enjoy the wins, curse at the losses, and argue with the people who are homers wearing rose tinted glasses

My comments were initially made after the FAU game. And Purdue has proven in every game, they could win every game or possibly lose every game! Was the UW game any different than the Maryland or Nebraska game? Purdue has shown some flashes of real lack of discipline and fundamentals. Was the uw game the norm we should expect going forward? Other teams usually improve as the season progresses. Purdue always seems to regress!

I reread the thread about us losing to UW in the Orton year. We fell apart after that game. will we fall apart this year? History has not been kind to us. We should easily beat nw and IU. But will we? Which team will show up? In the past, Purdue has lost to plenty of inferior. Teams! We were the first big 10 team to lose to a mac team. And then we repeated that accomplishment. The basketball team follows a similar trend! We play to the level of our. Competition! We can beat anybody but we can also lose to anybody! A qb throwing 3 interceptions is not going to beat nw or IU.

name calling me is not going to solve Purdue’s inconsistencies! I don’t want Purdue to lose! But I’ve come to the point that if they do, I’m going to tell you so and the reasons why. And if a person like myself who professes to know very little can see it, the problems/issues are very kbvious.

nat you’ve been on this board a long time. You have to know how many times posters have complained about Purdue’s lack of depth. That’s been a recurring post for the past decade. Is it ever going yo be fixed or even addressed by Purdue’s coaches? I highly doubt it! Yes, there will be names against a depth chart. But the issues will always be there.

neither Iowa or Wisconsin has tremendous talent. Their skill positions are mostly all 3 stars . But they develop their players and play fundamental football.

when are our stupid penalties going to stop? When are our mistakes going to stop? When will we stop complaining about the refs? The refs are just as bad for everybody else.

at the beginning of the year one could look at the schedule and say this should be an 11-1 year. But realistically most people would predict 7-8 wins at most. Why? Because Purdue is known for looking awesome but always finding a way to lose close games! It’s no longer an exception. It’s become the norm.

going forward if the game is close, I expect us to find a way to lose. It’s like clockwork! It would be nice if we won our last 4 games! We have the talent. But I wouldn’t be shocked if we went 0-4. Two weeks ago I would never have predicted the Packers would lose to the Giants. They followed that with a loss at home to the Jets! So rather than making any predictions I’ll sit. Back and enjoy the wins, curse at the losses, and argue with the people who are homers wearing rose tinted glasses
3-1 possible
2-2 likely
1-3 doubtful, but does Purdue show up?
0-4 fire sale

Depth and recruiting will always be an issue at purdue. always. Iowa and Wisconsin are the best schools in their state. They also have decades attached to 1 coach or his disciples. We are the third most recognizable school in a state with shitty football talent. We have burned through coaches like tinder since Tiller left and have no discernable S&C program.

That said, saying Brohm hasnt developed players is wholly ignorant and just saying shit to get a reaction. I can name any number of players who have progressed tremendously under Brohm and co, just not at one certain position (OL). That should have been rectified years ago, but i doubt it ever is.

I’d didn’t say lose out. I do believe that performance turned in yesterday by Purdue would have lost to any team in B1G West including putrid NW. I believe it was an outlier due to Offensive performance of Aidan. The only bright spot was Devon Mockobee for the most part. Our defensive secondary remains constantly bad and must have a change.
For the record, I took a 3.5 mile walk this early afternoon in great weather and it does improve the mood.

Exercise rebalances your neurotransmitters.

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
Depth and recruiting will always be an issue at purdue. always. Iowa and Wisconsin are the best schools in their state. They also have decades attached to 1 coach or his disciples. We are the third most recognizable school in a state with shitty football talent. We have burned through coaches like tinder since Tiller left and have no discernable S&C program.

That said, saying Brohm hasnt developed players is wholly ignorant and just saying shit to get a reaction. I can name any number of players who have progressed tremendously under Brohm and co, just not at one certain position (OL). That should have been rectified years ago, but i doubt it ever is.
OL hasn't been a real issue this year. Yesterday was a shit showing for pass protection. But otherwise they've been pretty solid. The group I've been underwhelmed with are the wide receivers minus Charlie Jones. Sheffield has been OK. You never know if Rice is gonna show up or stay on the bus. And Burks has been just OK. IMHO, it wasn't really worth taking Tracy in as a transfer.

Reactions: Boiler8285
OL hasn't been a real issue this year. Yesterday was a shit showing for pass protection. But otherwise they've been pretty solid. The group I've been underwhelmed with are the wide receivers minus Charlie Jones. Sheffield has been OK. You never know if Rice is gonna show up or stay on the bus. And Burks has been just OK. IMHO, it wasn't really worth taking Tracy in as a transfer.
Losing two nfl Calibre wrs will do that.
All things considered, wr is fine. Aoc hasn’t been great

also Sheffield has been better than ok. Take away the fumble against psu and he has been reliable as hell.

miller missing is a big loss too

lb is the most underwhelming to me

LBs and interior DL. For some reason none of the big time QB recruits can find the field.

Losing two nfl Calibre wrs will do that.
All things considered, wr is fine. Aoc hasn’t been great

also Sheffield has been better than ok. Take away the fumble against psu and he has been reliable as hell.

miller missing is a big loss too

lb is the most underwhelming to me

Sheffield has been reliable. But he has 25 receptions for 275 yards in 8 games.

We have zero WRs who can stretch the field. WRs are a problem...

Sheffield has been reliable. But he has 25 receptions for 275 yards in 8 games.

We have zero WRs who can stretch the field. WRs are a problem...
How many targets does Sheffield have?

hea the third option. That’s not an indictment of talent, just who aoc locks in on

3-1 possible
2-2 likely
1-3 doubtful, but does Purdue show up?
0-4 fire sale
2-2 likely? who would be the 2 losses? iu will be no picnic, they have 2 wr's that will give us trouble and obvious rival game. I know their OL is bad, but we don't have a pass rush. Hopefully Jenkins injury isn't a bad one.

hea the third option. That’s not an indictment of talent, just who aoc locks in on

And there's likely a reason why AOC doesn't lock in on him. I think AOC targets Jones too often. But you gotta get open in order to be targeted...

2-2 likely? who would be the 2 losses? iu will be no picnic, they have 2 wr's that will give us trouble and obvious rival game. I know their OL is bad, but we don't have a pass rush. Hopefully Jenkins injury isn't a bad one.
Illinois and either Iowa or IU.
Iowa has a solid Defense which could cause us problems. Their O is terrible, but all it takes is no pressure and a WR to smoke us enough in a weak secondary to win in a low scoring event that Iowa can do. IU can score, this is the Bucket game so throw out the records and get after it. Anything can happen.
With what happened yesterday, I have only 1 question? Is it basketball season yet?
Our football players better re-focus and lock in for the latter part of this season or see it go sideways and be humbled.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Illinois and either Iowa or IU.
Iowa has a solid Defense which could cause us problems. Their O is terrible, but all it takes is no pressure and a WR to smoke us enough in a weak secondary to win in a low scoring event that Iowa can do. IU can score, this is the Bucket game so throw out the records and get after it. Anything can happen.
With what happened yesterday, I have only 1 question? Is it basketball season yet?
Our football players better re-focus and lock in for the latter part of this season or see it go sideways and be humbled.

If you throw in the towel after one bad game, why even watch the football team? Brees shit the bed against MSU in 2000. You wish for basketball season then too?

Reactions: rgarlitz
If you throw in the towel after one bad game, why even watch the football team? Brees shit the bed against MSU in 2000. You wish for basketball season then too?
Nat. Take what I say today with some sarcasm, but what I say is not far from the truth. Somewhere in between what your saying and what I'm saying is the real deal.

7-5 is my thoughts for the season finish and it was under the 9-3 or 8-4 finish that I thought in pre-season. It will allow for 15 more practices (if time permits pending a bowl date) and allow our underclassmen to get better.

Basketball while not this forum traditionally isn't much better. Good seasons followed by March Madness bow outs from nearly no name teams. Why am I even a fan? Do I even like sports? :) sarcasm...take it easy. I love sports.
For the record, I went to the Rose Bowl and loved everything about it except our Special Teams (punting specifically).

Nat. Take what I say today with some sarcasm, but what I say is not far from the truth. Somewhere in between what your saying and what I'm saying is the real deal.

7-5 is my thoughts for the season finish and it was under the 9-3 or 8-4 finish that I thought in pre-season. It will allow for 15 more practices (if time permits pending a bowl date) and allow our underclassmen to get better.

Basketball while not this forum traditionally isn't much better. Good seasons followed by March Madness bow outs from nearly no name teams. Why am I even a fan? Do I even like sports? :) sarcasm...take it easy. I love sports.
For the record, I went to the Rose Bowl and loved everything about it except our Special Teams (punting specifically).
I thought 8-4 heading into the season and thats what it looks like we will get. Yeah, we had opportunity, but without AOC this was a rebuilding year.

Reactions: rgarlitz

Bingo not many big ten teams with those numbers for their third option. Only 19 players have 3+ receiving TDs in big ten, we have 3. And rice is a heck of a 4th option.

Reactions: nat100
Iowa
@ Illinois
Northwestern
@ Indiana

JMHO
Illinois looks like a more complete team than Purdue. That said, it's in C-U, and road teams have had a lot of success in this series.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT