ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you Rohrman family

jindy

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 17, 2007
$15 million is a big chunk of change - nice of the Rohrman family to make this donation. I was hoping to see the field named someday for Joe Tiller but can't argue with something that involves this large of a donation. Maybe Purdue could name the end zones after Coach Tiller, in honor of the scoring his teams did. ;)

Speaking of Tiller - tomorrow is his birthday. Happy birthday Coach, we miss you.

I'll place his name on my car and sing Bob ROOOOOOOOOOOOR MAN

yes, even living I n Southern Illinois, I bought one of his cars. he's an honest businessman with an honest price.

as I look to the future, I will see the day Lambeau field and Soldiers field will also change names. Hopefully, I will die before that happens.

At one time I thought that place in Indianapolis was bought and paid for by Jose Canseco and his brother.

Reactions: pboiler18 and DAG10
It's gone now but back when Indianapolis was debating the name for what became the Hoosier Dome we had thought a better name would be "The ConDome, sponsored by Trojan". Oddly, our suggestion wasn't chosen.

I know this is the way of the world in the 21st century, but this is disappointing to me.
This is an exceedingly generous donation by the Rohrman family and I am grateful as a Purdue alum and supporter of the program.

The mitigating aspect of the naming of the field for other than someone like Tiller or whomever is that it's not "The Bob Rohrman Auto Group Field."

I'm very happy for the donation. I'm just not a big fan of name selling rights. To me, names of locations should honor people's accomplishments, not monetary contributions. All of my personal donations to educational establishments such as Purdue are made anonymously. I don't want my name attached to anything.

I fully understand the corporate world we currently live in. I've been to Disney World. I just believe it cheapens the experience naming things after monetary donors. and yes, I hate that little plaque on our church's organ that thanks the people who bought it. I'd rather it be named for the Choir director who gave 40 years of her life directing our choirs. See you in church SI boiler - Carterville Methodist !

I'm very happy for the donation. I'm just not a big fan of name selling rights. To me, names of locations should honor people's accomplishments, not monetary contributions. All of my personal donations to educational establishments such as Purdue are made anonymously. I don't want my name attached to anything.

I fully understand the corporate world we currently live in. I've been to Disney World. I just believe it cheapens the experience naming things after monetary donors. and yes, I hate that little plaque on our church's organ that thanks the people who bought it. I'd rather it be named for the Choir director who gave 40 years of her life directing our choirs. See you in church SI boiler - Carterville Methodist !

I'll agree with you here. I'd prefer merit to be the deciding factor in naming too, but $15 million is a big donation, and worthy of some recognition. I don't like that anyone other than those who actually served in the military are buried in Arlington National, as well.

Does bring up an Interesting idea - with recent marijuana legalization maybe Colorado can sell their naming rights. "The Grass Field" has a nice, ironic ring to it.

Reactions: Wolegib
I was initially disappointed that the surface will not be named Tiller Field. I thought the timing would have been perfect with Coach Tiller's birthday tomorrow.

I also didn't like that Purdue dove into selling naming rights. I then quickly got over Purdue selling the naming rights because it has been happening since our school was founded:

1. Purdue University - named after John Purdue, a Lafayette businessman who fronted $500,000 to begin the school.
2. Ross-Ade Stadium (built in 1924) - named after David Ross and George Ade, local benefactors who fronted the money to build the stadium.

So, yes, we would love to see Tiller Field at Ross-Ade Stadium; however, I love that the Rohrman Family has generously donated a good chunk of change to move the renovation project forward. Thank you for the gift!

$15 million is a big chunk of change - nice of the Rohrman family to make this donation. I was hoping to see the field named someday for Joe Tiller but can't argue with something that involves this large of a donation. Maybe Purdue could name the end zones after Coach Tiller, in honor of the scoring his teams did. ;)

Speaking of Tiller - tomorrow is his birthday. Happy birthday Coach, we miss you.
No joke...I actually shed a few tears when his passing announcement came over the networks. Those were some great times of my life. Was at “the Catch” game, went to the Rose Bowl and many other games both home and away because there was always a chance to win with Tiller and Brees combo. Even after Brees, I went to several games. He truly was no Average Joe.

Last edited:
as I look to the future, I will see the day Lambeau field and Soldiers field will also change names. Hopefully, I will die before that happens.

At one time I thought that place in Indianapolis was bought and paid for by Jose Canseco and his brother.
Lambeau won't. The team is owned by the fans.

I get the man donated $15MM. Very generous. But this man is not an icon in the history of Purdue football.

Does anyone know if any other college or even pro franchise has "sold their soul" to a car dealership? Too lazy to research on my own..
Why does it matter that it's a "car dealership"? Every naming right goes to some kind of business. The Rohrman family has been very generous to the Lafayette area funding many facilities for music and athletics. Could have taken the millions they made and kept it for the family only.

Reactions: jindy and cinboiler
Mr. Rohrman is not very well-respected by most of those who work for him or do work for him. Even has big issues with his family members. But $15 million does not come along just every day.....

Why does it matter that it's a "car dealership"? Every naming right goes to some kind of business. The Rohrman family has been very generous to the Lafayette area funding many facilities for music and athletics. Could have taken the millions they made and kept it for the family only.
The 15 million is just the latest donation. Rohrman's have been writing a check to Joe Tiller's NFF Chapter for years.

Mr. Rohrman is not very well-respected by most of those who work for him or do work for him. Even has big issues with his family members. But $15 million does not come along just every day.....
Honestly, he looks like a total jerk. Doesn't surprise me one bit about he and his workers.

My former company did business(as a vendor) with his Indiana locations and never had a problem with them(or him). Like any businessman you'll hear good and bad from both vendors/suppliers as well as employees. The biggest challenge I saw was that they ran what had become a very large organization in similar fashion as they likely had when it was a one or two location dealership. That is often a difficult transition to make and a typical cause of angst among employees.

Atheists unite!

No joke...I actually shed a few tears when his passing announcement came over the networks. Those were some great times of my life. Was at “the Catch” game, went to the Rose Bowl and many other games both home and away because there was always a chance to win with Tiller and Brees combo. Even after Brees, I went to several games. He truly was no Average Joe.

Ironically "Average" did sort of fit in that he was a normal, down to earth guy in the few times that I had the honor of meeting him. He used to stop by and chat at our tailgate spot on the north side of Ross-Ade. Always willing to take time to talk and pose for a couple pictures, and always friendly, funny and warm with everyone.

apples and oranges, Bigs.

Both Lambeau and Soldier Fields are the facilities, not the name of the actual field inside the stadium. Purdue just named the actual field inside the stadium, in much the same way they did the actual court inside Mackey arena.

Maybe the problem stems from the fact that Bob took risks in acquiring Asian car dealerships before anybody was interested in buying them and worked hard to build a business in several cities for his family. He grew his own fortune. Maybe his employees expect him to easily give them that which he risked and worked hard for. Everybody has worked for an asshole at sometime. Maybe he comes off that way to some but you have to respect his success.

Reactions: jindy
I believe a better idea would have been to name the parking lot after him. and he could put his cars there on the weekdays. and a for sale sign. or an even better idea would be for him to sponsor the annual Purdue grand prix with the winner receiving a car.

so at the beginning of every game, will Purdue replace the IU sucks chant with a mighty Rrrrrrrooooooooooar ? and play that Katy Perry song too.

Reactions: boiler2288
You mean like the Simon family?

I believe a better idea would have been to name the parking lot after him. and he could put his cars there on the weekdays. and a for sale sign. or an even better idea would be for him to sponsor the annual Purdue grand pri with the winner receiving a car.

Maybe all season ticket holders get a free car? Yeah, that's the ticket!

Reactions: boiler2288
a free car give away if we win a BIG 10 championship would be a nice touch. a 2020 Toyota Highlander Limited

Honestly, he looks like a total jerk. Doesn't surprise me one bit about he and his workers.
How does one determine what " a total jerk LOOKS like " ?? ( ID-ing one who ACTS like one is easy)
What would be your top 4 identifying observations ??

For those of you you dislike Rohrman. No need to fret, as it will be renamed Spegal Field in a few short years.

There isn’t a name change here unless the field already had a name. This is not a change from Ross-Ade Stadium to Rohrman Field... it is a newly named Rhorman Field AT Ross-Ade Stadium

ADVERTISEMENT