ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Officially Back in the Fold

I'd expect her turnover numbers to be a bit higher because she has the ball in her hands so much. 100 turnovers is alot but consider she had 183 assists last season (Ellis was 2nd with 95) as well. If she can get on the right side of the 2:1 ratio that's pretty good. By comparison, Traylor had the most assists the season before (90) and she had 69 turnovers to go with it. I would expect Terry's turnovers to decline as she gains experience, gains more familiarity with teammates, and we also improve the talent around her.

If Terry can improve her shooting percentages I think that would be big for her game and actually open up more passing lanes for her.

Guessing the sitting out part made her decide to return, maybe she was thinking there was a way around it. Nice to see her back, no reason to think that she won’t be a starting 25 minute a night player. My guess is maybe a grad transfer/role player is added, Purdue has 12 players committed, might as well add another just in case.

Reactions: DocRon
Guessing the sitting out part made her decide to return, maybe she was thinking there was a way around it. Nice to see her back, no reason to think that she won’t be a starting 25 minute a night player. My guess is maybe a grad transfer/role player is added, Purdue has 12 players committed, might as well add another just in case.

Nice to see her back too, but what is that with the transfer? She thought she could avoid having to sit out like you said, or she just couldn't find a suiter? She just wants to get in the portal to see if someone pays her $400k? Or even $4k? So basically we just lost Kyle and Moore, but we got back Harper and the freshmen?

Yes - we essentially only lost 1 player who wasn't already expected to leave and that was Kyle - The other "transfers" (Moore, Oriyomi, Gony, Doumbia) were all expected, 3 even went through senior day and Oriyomi never played. So in the end there was no "mass exodus" from the program like some ignorant posters (or well just 1 ignorant poster) was crying wolf about. We lost 5 players and get 5 players coming in (Harper + 4 freshmen). The program is in very solid ground with a very nice 4-person 2023 recruiting class assembled (might grow by 1 by end of the week).

All this petty bickering and name calling is really getting childish. It's almost as bad as the men's board. Just because someone has a different opinion doesn't make them an idiot or ignorant. I would love to see this board grow and increase in traffic. But all this crap will just drive people away.

All this petty bickering and name calling is really getting childish. It's almost as bad as the men's board. Just because someone has a different opinion doesn't make them an idiot or ignorant. I would love to see this board grow and increase in traffic. But all this crap will just drive people away.
I agree, problem is TC and Pride have made this board a cesspool for years and all they really care about is pounding their chests and berating others, not engaging in actual debate. Neither of them would be allowed to post on a moderated board, but since no one cares about this one, they get away with their middle school bullying.

Reactions: charlespig
Nice to see her back too, but what is that with the transfer? She thought she could avoid having to sit out like you said, or she just couldn't find a suiter? She just wants to get in the portal to see if someone pays her $400k? Or even $4k? So basically we just lost Kyle and Moore, but we got back Harper and the freshmen?
I think you’re spot on, she wanted to see if the grass was greaner and was hoping that maybe she could find an out so she could play without sitting out. Look, she played 30 minutes per game last year, not sure why she would want to leave. Anyway, glad she’s back and hopefully on board, she’ll likely be a day 1 starter getting at least 20-25 minutes a night. The only unexpected loss was Kyle and she pretty much missed all of last year, Purdue will be experienced and seemingly pretty deep. Hopefully they can make the tournament, borderline as of right now, a lot depends on health and how good Harper and the Frosh especially Potts are.

I am choosing to ignore the negative exchanges and just concentrate on those notes that talk about the team. Underneath this all, I am encouraged by what Katie is doing. She did not inherit a strong situation. Some programs in this situation go south and stay there a long time. I don't think that will happen here. Also following the new illinois coach Green. She has the biggest mess of all, but coaches who know what they are doing usually turn it around eventually. It appears she does? We'll see here and there and everywhere :)

Reactions: Russ Ford
Wake me up when Katie gets a "game changer". They still don't have good enough talent to be a contender yet. Jayla Smith is the player to watch in 2022-23 but being a sophomore after not contributing much production as a freshman it may be too early to pencil her in for double digit scoring stats and replacing the production of Moore who transferred.

Wake me up when Katie gets a "game changer". They still don't have good enough talent to be a contender yet. Jayla Smith is the player to watch in 2022-23 but being a sophomore after not contributing much production as a freshman it may be too early to pencil her in for double digit scoring stats and replacing the production of Moore who has transferred. Still need a lot more talent to swim with the sharks.

She is still with the team - will be a RS Freshmen this year.
That's a great question. Mike Carmin didn't mention her in his latest write up in the J&C when he wrote that they had 8 veteran players including the new transfer, and then 9 with Terry and then 12 if you add the 3 incoming freshmen. So with Skye Williams they should now have 13 scholarship players total on the team.

Wake me up when Katie gets a "game changer". They still don't have good enough talent to be a contender yet. Jayla Smith is the player to watch in 2022-23 but being a sophomore after not contributing much production as a freshman it may be too early to pencil her in for double digit scoring stats and replacing the production of Moore who transferred.
This is a long term rebuild. Versyp scorched this program.

Reactions: MichaelRR
There are 12 players currently slated to be on the roster for 2022-23. The roster is now updated on the Purdue sports website. Link below. I have a question about Williams because she didn't play at all last year but this roster has her listed as a sophomore - you think she'd be a RS Freshmen.

2022-23 Roster

Don't forget about Potts out of Florda I think she will be special player as a freshman and play a lot, and I think a lot of people are underestimate what KG is putting together, don't think it will take that long.

I believe she was the most highly rated of last year's freshmen based on the ratings I saw.
Smith was clearly the most decorated player coming in of the freshmen class. Indiana Miss Basketball and ranked in the top 50 in most rankings. Williams was a top 100 recruit. SV raved about Williams' offense, especially her outside shooting so hopefully she can come in and along with Potts and an improved Smith - those three can make up for the offense we will miss with Moore's departure. Those three guards have what Moore lacked - and that is height/size. The same with Harper and what Kyle gave us - obviously we lose out on a few inches but I'm hoping she plays quicker and without all the fouling. As of now, the two players I don't see getting a ton of playing time will be Holzer and Stoddard but that might change with Stoddard depending on how she progresses throughout the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC4THREE
Smith was clearly the most decorated player coming in of the freshmen class. Indiana Miss Basketball and ranked in the top 50 in most rankings. Williams was a top 100 recruit. SV raved about Williams' offense, especially her outside shooting so hopefully she can come in and along with Potts and an improved Smith - those three can make up for the offense we will miss with Moore's departure. Those three guards have what Moore lacked - and that is height/size. The same with Harper and what Kyle gave us - obviously we lose out on a few inches but I'm hoping she plays quicker and without all the fouling. As of now, the two players I don't see getting a ton of playing time will be Holzer and Stoddard but that might change with Stoddard depending on how she progresses throughout the season.
Stoddard’s fast and athletic, Crown Point’s offensive system did her no favors.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Stoddard’s fast and athletic, Crown Point’s offensive system did her no favors.

I think she has really good potential - but it's super hard, no matter how talented, for a true freshman post player to come in and immediately produce. You've seen posts who were MC D AA's take a couple years to develop. Of all the former Purdue players who left the team the last couple years - the one player I wish had stayed was Sacha Washington - who de-committed and went to Vanderbilt. She had a really good freshman year and is going to have a great career for VU. She would've really helped us this past year and in the future.

Reactions: RBryant311
I think she has really good potential - but it's super hard, no matter how talented, for a true freshman post player to come in and immediately produce. You've seen posts who were MC D AA's take a couple years to develop. Of all the former Purdue players who left the team the last couple years - the one player I wish had stayed was Sacha Washington - who de-committed and went to Vanderbilt. She had a really good freshman year and is going to have a great career for VU. She would've really helped us this past year and in the future.
Agreed, she’s a little raw, I see her as a 10 minute a night player her first year, it’s possible she redshirts as well.

ADVERTISEMENT