ADVERTISEMENT

Tell me again how someone else is going to push Mason to the bench

Schmedly_Whiplash

Sophomore
Nov 5, 2022
If there was ever a game to see the value of Mason Gillis, it was yesterday.
We got bullied the entire game and Caleb was no where to be found. He disappeared COMPLETELY. Looked like a true freshman playing his first game ever in front of fans.
TKR was better but isn't the physical force to change the flow of a game (at this point).
Zack was ok but it should be pretty clear how much he needs help against a big physical team.
Mason's quiet strength and calm demeanor would have been huge. As would his 3 pt shot.

Last year when he was serving his penalty guys thought it was an opportunity to take his position.
Didn't happen.
Year later and better backups and even more thought the same this time.
Still not even close to happening.

Can't wait to get him back on the floor.

Furst was dealing with a flu type sickness, could have been some of his issue.
I'm sure it was a big part of the issue and I like Caleb (and Trey) a lot, but until they can show the savvy, toughness and consistency from three and the FT line that Mason brings every game, Mason should continue to play the most minutes when Zach is in the game.

Keep working on that two man game between Trey and Caleb when Zach is getting a rest. There are going to be matchups where those two may be our best combination on offense.

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
Wasn’t aware of Caleb being sick. Probably a major contributor to his somewhat substandard presence and finishing under the basket yesterday.

Reactions: pboiler18 and TX4GB
Wasn’t aware of Caleb being sick. Probably a major contributor to his somewhat substandard presence and finishing under the basket yesterday.
if that was the case, then TKR needed more of his minutes esp. in the 2nd half when they made that run when we were up 45 - 31

Reactions: Boiler8285
if that was the case, then TKR needed more of his minutes esp. in the 2nd half when they made that run when we were up 45 - 31
My thought when that happened was that maybe CMP was going with more ball handlers and better free throw shooters. Playing Morton and Newman over TKR.

Would TKR have stopped them from making three circus threes in 90 seconds and getting fouled on one of them?

In something like the last four minutes he had the ball under the basket at critical times and failed to score. Maybe understandable if he was ill, but maybe he shouldn't have been in that much if he was so ill.

We got bullied the entire game and Caleb was no where to be found. He disappeared COMPLETELY. Looked like a true freshman playing his first game ever in front of fans.
TKR was better but isn't the physical force to change the flow of a game (at this point).
Zack was ok but it should be pretty clear how much he needs help against a big physical team.
Mason's quiet strength and calm demeanor would have been huge. As would his 3 pt shot.

Last year when he was serving his penalty guys thought it was an opportunity to take his position.
Didn't happen.

I hate it when the players complain about the fouls. That's what last years team did and one of their problems was a lack of toughness. Yeah, the refs are awful, but deal with it and play through it. Leave it to the fans to complain.

I hate it when the players complain about the fouls. That's what last years team did and one of their problems was a lack of toughness. Yeah, the refs are awful, but deal with it and play through it. Leave it to the fans to complain.
Agreed. Last year seemed to be at an all time high from players at Purdue complaining.

Didn't happen.

Why is he out... injury?

Why is he out... injury?

Yes, 4. He's missed the last three games from a back injury from lifting. Originally listed as "minor." If that's still the case, I would think he'll be back this week or next. Matt Painter indicated last week he was trying to give it a go but didn't practice yet.

Reactions: *4purdue*
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT