ADVERTISEMENT

Team O'Connell or Team Plummer??

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
We have several big question marks going into training camp in a couple of months, but the biggest question is going to be QB.

Who does everyone think it is going to be the starting QB, O'Connell or Plummer?

Without injuries, I don't see Burton getting to the final 2. I really hoped we would have played Burton for a change of pace last year. I think we would have seen him some in the IU game, if we had played the game. Alaimo probably is still lacking the experience to have a chance of being the starter this year. We don't have anyone coming in for a chance to start from the 2021 class, since Jackson did not sign. If things keep going the way they are going, I could almost see Allen being the starter in 2022 for us.

O'Connell and Plummer are both tough, and they are both competitors.

O'Connell has the more accurate arm of the two, and he probably makes better decisions. However, we are going to have to have a vastly improved line though for O'Connell. O'Connell has absolutely no scrambling ability at all with his legs, so he is strictly hanging in the pocket. That does not bode well against team that have a good defensive line. I also have not heard much on his health progress, since he got injured in the Fall.

Plummer can throw on the run, and he can scramble. He can get creative, and his legs give us a chance to let plays develop. However, he has been consistently inconsistent in making the right decisions. He tries too many times to make plays that are not there. He does not read the defense very well, and he throws INTs too many times, because he throws into double and triple coverage.

I really would love to see Plummer develop into the potential he has. There was a reason so many top teams tried to get him to decommit from us before signing day with him. However, I think it all comes down to Brohm, and his mentality on this position. They have said that he is going to play aggressive and play with fire this year. If that is true, I think Brohm goes with Plummer. If he wants to go the safe route, I see it being O'Connell.

Thoughts board?

Reactions: SKYDOG
Team Purdue. May the best QB win the job.
“Throw till we get hot, then throw some more.” Joe Tiller
Find the hot hand and play that person + establish a run game. I hope to hear good performance from all them both plus Burton and Alaimo. I hope one grabs the reigns and has good health. I do like O’Connell his accuracy and savvy to win, yet the scrambling ability is well documented. Plummer or ? that can pull the ball down and get 6-10 yards should be the primary QB as they can be the unaccounted factor that moves the chains. At this point Plummer, but could be Burton or Alaimo.
Note: If a game dictates passing more than ground game, then O’Connell. Use the strengths when needed.

We have several big question marks going into training camp in a couple of months, but the biggest question is going to be QB.

Who does everyone think it is going to be the starting QB, O'Connell or Plummer?

Without injuries, I don't see Burton getting to the final 2. I really hoped we would have played Burton for a change of pace last year. I think we would have seen him some in the IU game, if we had played the game. Alaimo probably is still lacking the experience to have a chance of being the starter this year. We don't have anyone coming in for a chance to start from the 2021 class, since Jackson did not sign. If things keep going the way they are going, I could almost see Allen being the starter in 2022 for us.

O'Connell has the more accurate arm of the two, and he probably makes better decisions. However, we are going to have to have a vastly improved line though for O'Connell. O'Connell has absolutely no scrambling ability at all with his legs, so he is strictly hanging in the pocket. That does not bode well against team that have a good defensive line. I also have not heard much on his health progress, since he got injured in the Fall.

Plummer can throw on the run, and he can scramble. He can get creative, and his legs give us a chance to let plays develop. However, he has been consistently inconsistent in making the right decisions. He tries too many times to make plays that are not there. He does not read the defense very well, and he throws INTs too many times, because he throws into double and triple coverage.

I really would love to see Plummer develop into the potential he has. There was a reason so many top teams tried to get him to decommit from us before signing day with him. However, I think it all comes down to Brohm, and his mentality on this position. They have said that he is going to play aggressive and play with fire this year. If that is true, I think Brohm goes with Plummer. If he wants to go the safe route, I see it being O'Connell.

Thoughts board?
Plummer and AOC had the same amount of INTs

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Out of the two....I would go with O'Connell. He has the better arm and I feel more confident with him out there. I really have no opinion on Burton because I have never even seen him throw a ball.

If it is only between those 2, I prefer Plummer. AOC might be the better choice with time to throw but we have seen that when we play better teams we need some elusiveness in the pocket

Thoughts board?
History says we will need both.

I'd like to see Plummer. AOC has no scrambling ability or speed whatsoever. I think with more time in the pocket (better OL), Plummer will show he has the ability to make the throws.

Interestingly, two different people mentioned that each needs more time in the pocket for different reasons. That's probably the key to getting more wins, the OL play, not who's the QB.

Why not just change this to a thread with a poll, or create a poll with this question.

• Wow
Reactions: Inspector100
I think the OL is the key. All Brohm's starting QBs have at least 1 game of 400+ yards.
I prefer Plummer, in regards to him throwing Int's, I noticed he has a tendency to do it more when there is no running game. When it's throw , throw, throw he seems to get careless at times.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I'd like to see Plummer. AOC has no scrambling ability or speed whatsoever. I think with more time in the pocket (better OL), Plummer will show he has the ability to make the throws.

its not that he can’t make throws. The game has happened too fast for him in his previous experience. If it slows down he can be the better of the two. Right now, I’d give the edge to O’Connell by the smallest margin

If things keep going the way they are going, I could almost see Allen being the starter in 2022 for us.
sorry, but I don't understand your reasoning here. We don't have a looming shortage of QBs, and Alaimo will have two years in the system in 22. QBs benefit more than anyone from redshirting. Even Andrew Luck redshirted.

• Wow
Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT