ADVERTISEMENT

Taylor

bashfan

Redshirt Freshman
May 26, 2008
Does anyone know where he was. I usher and he was not at the shoot around before the gates open. He was not dressed for the game and not on the bench.

hope he gets well soon. dakota and haas played like they were sick also, or just having bad games?

Reactions: Boilermb
haas played defense tonite? he was used and abused by happ all night.

It is always good to find so many trolls that pretend to be Purdue friends. Happ is Wisconsin's offense. Haas played him one on one and absolutely shut him down in the first half. Happ missed his first 3 shots and Wisconsin was finished. In the second half, Wisconsin was picking Haas all over to free up Happ and give him better position and Happ did okay. Still he ended up with a poor shooting night and 7 turnovers where he threw the ball away, because Haas shut him down. Please go troll somewhere else.

It is always good to find so many trolls that pretend to be Purdue friends. Happ is Wisconsin's offense. Haas played him one on one and absolutely shut him down in the first half. Happ missed his first 3 shots and Wisconsin was finished. In the second half, Wisconsin was picking Haas all over to free up Happ and give him better position and Happ did okay. Still he ended up with a poor shooting night and 7 turnovers where he threw the ball away, because Haas shut him down. Please go troll somewhere else.
My only gripe, hard to find one with a dominating win, was our post defense on Happ.

Everyone knows he likes the left block and always spins baseline. We did get caught a few times, granted it didn’t matter because the win was secured, by allowing him that opening. I’m sure Painter will use that in preparation when we go to Madison.

Good to know I can place some one new on my block list. I'm usually pretty reserved about using it but clearly you have absolutely nothing to provide in the way of worthwhile commentary...even if you are on the other side of the aisle in terms of ideas and thoughts.

Reactions: todd brewster
Happ did abuse him on a couple of very quick deep spin moves but that hardly was all night. I thought the bigs did a nice job against a very good Ethan Happ and should be given kudos for it.
Agree. Let's also not forget that Happ is a very good player.

a question to ask. What caused Happ's bad night. Was it Haas / or was it happ had the flu or other illness and just had a bad night?

if you believe Haas caused happ's bad night, then kudos go to Haas. if happ had a bad night due to other reasons, then you probably shouldn't go overboard with your praise. You can't really praise haas' defense for happ airballing a FT.

Similarly, when PJ goes 0 for 4 with zero assists, do you credit his defender, or do you make u p some excuse?

I was at the game and Happ was TOTALLY out of it in the first half. Multiple turnovers, and airball on a FT and several misses from point blank. He did play better in the second half, but to say he abused or got the better of Haas when Happ had the ball in his hands is a stretch. Haas was pretty ineffective on the offensive end as well. Have to wonder if both guys overthought the match up prior to the game. Who knows??

I was at the game and Happ was TOTALLY out of it in the first half. Multiple turnovers, and airball on a FT and several misses from point blank. He did play better in the second half, but to say he abused or got the better of Haas when Happ had the ball in his hands is a stretch. Haas was pretty ineffective on the offensive end as well. Have to wonder if both guys overthought the match up prior to the game. Who knows??
I thought Haas did a great job on defense exc
I thought Haas made it difficult for Happ to score except for a couple of possessions but that is to be expected when you are playing a first team Big Ten post player who has all kinds of inside moves. Happ is first team BIG for a reason.....we need to give him some credit for being good and trying to score and win also.

a question to ask. What caused Happ's bad night. Was it Haas / or was it happ had the flu or other illness and just had a bad night?

if you believe Haas caused happ's bad night, then kudos go to Haas. if happ had a bad night due to other reasons, then you probably shouldn't go overboard with your praise. You can't really praise haas' defense for happ airballing a FT.

Similarly, when PJ goes 0 for 4 with zero assists, do you credit his defender, or do you make u p some excuse?
Did you not watch the game? If you watch, you can usually tell if a player is having an off night or if he is being taken out by the defense. At Minnesota, you could clearly tell PJ was off. He had two straight wide open threes that didn't come close to the rim. Defense had zero to do with it.

As for Happ, he never caught the ball near the basket. Both Haas and Haarms made him work very hard to get the ball near the rim. Both moved their feet well and forced him to make bad passes or shoot awkward shots over them. I only saw two times where Happ was able to get a good shot (other than his transition basket). That was damn good defense. Now Happ is not a good free throw shooter, but you can certainly tell he was frustrated by Haas, which can affect other aspects of his game.

Stacie has a good article on the front page on the Happ/Haas/Haarms matchup.

Reactions: mathboy
Until last night, Haas played against 4 big men who are projected to be drafted by the NBA. Haas abused them all on offense. They all could not stop him and they picked up precious fouls trying to defend him. They all had off shooting nights when matched against Haas, yet still there were posters complaining about Haas' D saying he was not athletic enough. IMO, it was what McCarver said about Gibson - they all seem to have bad hitting lapses when Bob pitched.

Last night, Haas seemed zoned in on stopping Happ. In the first half, Happ had one FG and one FT against Haas and we easily took a double digit lead. Wisconsin on the other hand strategy was to have another player banging on Haas down low while two other players took a step in Haas's direction. As a result, we had some open 3's. When we did pass the ball to Haas, he was immediately doubled and at times tripled teamed. They all swiped at Haas and while the refs missed a lot, Haas did draw about 7 or 8 fouls - most non-shooting. The only time, I saw him not doubled teamed was one on one against Happ and he hit his shot, but Happ was called for a foul on the floor.

I am disappointed with Haas not dominating on O for the 1st time this year, but he showed he can stop Happ who is half of Wisconsin's O. I hope NBA scouts were watching and are smart enough to realize Haas can play D and 1 on 1 there is no one in College who can stop him.

In post game presser painter said PJ was sick last week, JT pretty sick this week and added some others on the team weren't feeling their best. Wouldn't be surprised if Haas has a touch of the flu too. The good news is that there are plenty of chances for Haas to score in the future.

Reactions: Inspector100
Did you not watch the game? If you watch, you can usually tell if a player is having an off night or if he is being taken out by the defense. At Minnesota, you could clearly tell PJ was off. He had two straight wide open threes that didn't come close to the rim. Defense had zero to do with it.

As for Happ, he never caught the ball near the basket. Both Haas and Haarms made him work very hard to get the ball near the rim. Both moved their feet well and forced him to make bad passes or shoot awkward shots over them. I only saw two times where Happ was able to get a good shot (other than his transition basket). That was damn good defense. Now Happ is not a good free throw shooter, but you can certainly tell he was frustrated by Haas, which can affect other aspects of his game.

Stacie has a good article on the front page on the Happ/Haas/Haarms matchup.

No I didn't.

As for PJ, he's had similar games. as has Cline. PJ was sick for the Minnesota game. the other games?

My question was, when a boiler has an O-fer or a bad game do you credit the opponent's defense, or do you make an excuse?

when good things happen, credit is due the player. Do you credit IU's defense with the horrendous display Northwestern had? or was northwestern totally at fault for their ineptitude? When Edwards has a great game, is it due to him? or a bad defender? Similarly, when he's having a bad game, is it his fault? or does the defender have just a little to do with it?

I believe in all things, some credit is due to the person playing defense. and some credit should be given to a player. As with the Michigan game, it appears Painter had a game plan, and the boilers executed it.

When giving credit, I believe in giving credit to both teams. Haas obviously took Happ out of his game. Happ also limited what Haas could do. However, UW is basically a one man team, and Purdue is not.

a last question. Do you believe this plan will be effective when we meet UW again?

No I didn't.
I have a question and I think you will be honest with me. You said the you didn't watch the game, how many of the games have you watched? The reason I ask is that if you are not watching the games you sound pretty knowledgeable. How do you do it?

Reactions: mathboy
No I didn't.

As for PJ, he's had similar games. as has Cline. PJ was sick for the Minnesota game. the other games?

My question was, when a boiler has an O-fer or a bad game do you credit the opponent's defense, or do you make an excuse?

when good things happen, credit is due the player. Do you credit IU's defense with the horrendous display Northwestern had? or was northwestern totally at fault for their ineptitude? When Edwards has a great game, is it due to him? or a bad defender? Similarly, when he's having a bad game, is it his fault? or does the defender have just a little to do with it?

I believe in all things, some credit is due to the person playing defense. and some credit should be given to a player. As with the Michigan game, it appears Painter had a game plan, and the boilers executed it.

When giving credit, I believe in giving credit to both teams. Haas obviously took Happ out of his game. Happ also limited what Haas could do. However, UW is basically a one man team, and Purdue is not.

a last question. Do you believe this plan will be effective when we meet UW again?
It seems you want a specific answer to a general question, or I'm just not getting what you are saying. As I stated, you have to watch the game. There will be different answers. Sometimes a player has a bad game and sometimes the opponent forces that bad game. Wisconsin played good defense on Haas by fronting him and pushing him constantly(They had various guys guarding him btw, not just Happ). However, their preoccupation with Haas left shooters open and lanes free for driving. As for Happ, his off night was caused by Hass and Haarms. How you could watch that game and feel otherwise would be a mystery.

As for the next game against Wisconsin, I see no reason to change things up. Michigan will be different however. I don't think we can settle for the same game plan against them that we used in Ann Arbor.

Didn’t even watch the game (listened on XM while traveling), but it was pretty clear Haas wasn’t used and abused. Look at the # of turnovers he had while trying to pass the ball out of the post.

the emotional impact of a great defender frustrating a player can result in an airballed free throw. Don't only use the physical aspect to make your determination ....

... a last question. Do you believe this plan will be effective when we meet UW again?
I have a couple of answers. A coaching mantra from many, many years ago is "dance with the one your brought." Meaning you don't change things that have worked. Many fans seem to think that the element of surprise is a good thing. I fiercely believe that at higher levels, it is not. Do what you do best and make them beat you at what you do best. If a plan worked well in the past, stick with it until someone proves it isn't working. If you assume the other team or coach is better than you are and that they will use the knowledge gained in the first game to beat you, then you are dealing from a point of weakness.

Haas looked weak a few times, leaving at least three shots short from 5 feet away, making me think he had the bug, too. And Happ was pressing, shown by all his wild turnovers and shots -- hardly surprising for someone who still shoots only 52 percent on free throws while having to be a one-man team -- but he stayed very active on defense. They made each other look good and bad. That happens. And Haarms had a nice hand in there, too.

Gotta love the people who say "Pay no attention to his stats, look at his defense," and then show someone else's stats.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
ADVERTISEMENT