ADVERTISEMENT

Take The High Road Please...

In regards to Eastern's shooting percentage. it wasn't terrible. But there were so many shots and 3 pointers where he was open, and still refused to take the shot. I'm not sure why.

I've seen a lot of successful teams where the guards just jack it up and they don't care if they make it or not because they can grab the rebound for an easy two. I would have thought with tre and haarms that eastern would shoot more and not worry if his shot went in. but he still refused to shoot.

I could hear fans yell, shoot the dam ball, but still he'd refuse to shoot. like a deer looking at head lights.

In regards to Eastern's shooting percentage. it wasn't terrible. But there were so many shots and 3 pointers where he was open, and still refused to take the shot. I'm not sure why.

I've seen a lot of successful teams where the guards just jack it up and they don't care if they make it or not because they can grab the rebound for an easy two. I would have thought with tre and haarms that eastern would shoot more and not worry if his shot went in. but he still refused to shoot.

I could hear fans yell, shoot the dam ball, but still he'd refuse to shoot. like a deer looking at head lights.

Dude, the only reason Eastern's shooting percentage wasn't terrible was because he never shot outside of 5 feet from the basket. Did you not watch any games?

Coach Matt Painter:
I like you as a coach. I was at Purdue when you played, but what you have been saying about your two former Purdue players are not cool and unnecessary. Please take the high road...

You're an adult making millions of dollars a year. Haarms & Eastern are broke college kids with aspirations of playing in the NBA, an unlikely aspiration for both, but please still act like an ambassador for Purdue basketball. No needs to trash the kids for wanting something more no matter how unlikely and maybe even a little bit selfish on their part. This does not look good coming from you and won't help with future recruiting.

Last year's 16-15 record is not acceptable to you, any proud Purdue fans or alums like me. Work on improving your team that you currently have and maybe or should I say finally making it to the Final Four.

Take the high road please and keep working toward that goal.

oh, "broke college kid" story. Yawn!

Dude, the only reason Eastern's shooting percentage wasn't terrible was because he never shot outside of 5 feet from the basket. Did you not watch any games?

I watched some games, but not in person. but there were many games when he didn't even take the 5 foot shots. he had wide open lay-ups and he'd give the ball to somebody else. it got to a point where he didn't even want to try to score. he was afraid of getting fouled because he knew he'd miss the FT. he had zero confidence in his own talents and ability.

this kid was good in high school. and he was good at national all star camps and AAU. but he totally lost it last year.

I watched some games, but not in person. but there were many games when he didn't even take the 5 foot shots. he had wide open lay-ups and he'd give the ball to somebody else. it got to a point where he didn't even want to try to score. he was afraid of getting fouled because he knew he'd miss the FT. he had zero confidence in his own talents and ability.

this kid was good in high school. and he was good at national all star camps and AAU. but he totally lost it last year.
I agree. My point that I was trying to add to your earlier post was that the motion offense has nothing to do with Eastern’s inability to showcase his talents. Unless you are talking about the occasional fast break (relatively rare in the well coached BIG), most of the plays are in half court sets. In those sets, the motion offense is very democratic in that all the guards and wings have equal access to making plays. Painters offense had nothing to do with Nojel’s struggles.

I think we, as Purdue fans need to emphasize that point every time somebody brings up that false issue. You know it is used against us in recruiting, and frankly, it’s wrong. Ivey and Morton both committed to Purdue, and I will bet Carsen Edwards performance in the motion offense told them all they needed to know, and made them disregard the nonsense negative recruiting bull spit.

Last edited:
I agree. My point that I was trying to add to your earlier post was that the motion offense has nothing to do with Eastern’s inability to showcase his talents. Unless you are talking about the occasional fast break (relatively rare in the well coached BIG), most of the plays are in half court sets. In those sets, the motion offense is very democratic in that all the guards and wings have equal access to making plays. Painters offense had nothing to do with Nojel’s struggles.

I think we, as Purdue fans need to emphasize that point every time somebody brings up that false issue. You know it is used against us in recruiting, and frankly, it’s wrong. Ivey and Morton both committed to Purdue, and I will bet Carsen Edwards performance in the motion offense told them all they needed to know, and made them disregard the nonsense negative recruiting bull spit.

to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what Eastern's talents actually are on offense. he can't shoot the three. he can't shoot Fts. he doesn't like to drive for lay-ups.

what was it about Purdue and painter that was not allowing him the opportunity to utilize his talents as mama said many times. what talents was she talking about?

Reactions: yotheo and mathboy
to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what Eastern's talents actually are on offense. he can't shoot the three. he can't shoot Fts. he doesn't like to drive for lay-ups.

what was it about Purdue and painter that was not allowing him the opportunity to utilize his talents as mama said many times. what talents was she talking about?
I think she remembered how he could bull his way to the basket against 5’ 5” 110 lb high school players. Somehow she expected him to do the same against P5 players. It couldn’t be her kid, so it had to be his coach, right?

Reactions: cjcollie and yotheo
I think she remembered how he could bull his way to the basket against 5’ 5” 110 lb high school players. Somehow she expected him to do the same against P5 players. It couldn’t be her kid, so it had to be his coach, right?
It’s even more weird that she chose to help him with the excuse that he had mental issues holding him back. I mean, wouldn’t it make more sense to just say he had a torn ligament in his shooting hand and be done with it?

It’s even more weird that she chose to help him with the excuse that he had mental issues holding him back. I mean, wouldn’t it make more sense to just say he had a torn ligament in his shooting hand and be done with it?
All i know is if mommy was running around telling the world how mentally soft i was i would be absolutely pissed. Would definitely be having a talk with her to keep her mouth shut.

ADVERTISEMENT