ADVERTISEMENT

Take The High Road Please...

BoilerInChiTown

True Freshman
Oct 5, 2016
Coach Matt Painter:
I like you as a coach. I was at Purdue when you played, but what you have been saying about your two former Purdue players are not cool and unnecessary. Please take the high road...

You're an adult making millions of dollars a year. Haarms & Eastern are broke college kids with aspirations of playing in the NBA, an unlikely aspiration for both, but please still act like an ambassador for Purdue basketball. No needs to trash the kids for wanting something more no matter how unlikely and maybe even a little bit selfish on their part. This does not look good coming from you and won't help with future recruiting.

Last year's 16-15 record is not acceptable to you, any proud Purdue fans or alums like me. Work on improving your team that you currently have and maybe or should I say finally making it to the Final Four.

Take the high road please and keep working toward that goal.

CMP did NOT "trash" anyone. Fake news.

CMP did have a truthful open discussion.....perhaps you are confusing the two. I am told there are snowflakes on here too....perhaps you are one??

And thanks for another thread on the topic.......mods delete this CRAP!

Coach Matt Painter:
I like you as a coach. I was at Purdue when you played, but what you have been saying about your two former Purdue players are not cool and unnecessary. Please take the high road...

You're an adult making millions of dollars a year. Haarms & Eastern are broke college kids with aspirations of playing in the NBA, an unlikely aspiration for both, but please still act like an ambassador for Purdue basketball. No needs to trash the kids for wanting something more no matter how unlikely and maybe even a little bit selfish on their part. This does not look good coming from you and won't help with future recruiting.

Last year's 16-15 record is not acceptable to you, any proud Purdue fans or alums like me. Work on improving your team that you currently have and maybe or should I say finally making it to the Final Four.

Painter isn't the one who quit the team. Painter isn't the one who sent the text. Painter isn't the one who crawled on his belly to Meetchicken...one of the dirtiest programs in existence. And that 16-15 record last year....Which two players who just quit the team didn't live up to expectations.

I've thought all along you might be Eastern's relative and now I'm convinced you are.

CMP did NOT "trash" anyone. Fake news.

CMP did have a truthful open discussion.....perhaps you are confusing the two. I am told there are snowflakes on here too....perhaps you are one??

And thanks for another thread on the topic.......mods delete this CRAP!

Thanks for the reply Donald. Not everyone will take or think what CMP said the same way.

Sound like you are the snowflake here...

Reactions: cjcollie
Coach Matt Painter:

You are assuming he didn’t take the high road. I guarantee there is so so much more he could of said if he was really out to hurt those 2. He was speaking out and protecting his program and speaking the truth and defending those other guys in that locker room. Nothing he said can not be proven. For all the crap that I and many have given him over the years the man has NEVER embarrassed Purdue in any interview , while coaching , at a press conference , or anywhere that I know of as the Head Coach of Purdue University. You know how hard that is to not do in 15 years ? Thanks coach for always being a Class act and great representative of this great university !!

Ps. Winning a couple more games would be awesome too. LOL

Thanks for the reply Donald. Not everyone will take or think what CMP said the same way.

First I don’t get the impression Matt gives a care how his words are interpreted.

Second I don’t think Matt said anything on the radio he wouldn’t say to the player, to the players family, to a fan, or anyone.

He definitely could've held back a few of his more pointed comments and still gotten his message across. I think if he'd have waited just a day or two to give the interview that's what would have happened. But nobody is perfect and his feelings are totally understandable given what we know now about the Eastern situation and Michigan. After giving this a day of thought myself I've gone from the OP perspective to something of a middle ground. Just glad that, outside the Purdue sphere a few tweets here and there, this has basically been passed over in the media.

Coach Matt Painter:

I agree with your perspective of taking the high road.

So, what part of Matt Painter’s interview with DD are you finding to be less than the high road? I listened to the whole show, and I found Matt’s perspective honest and very insightful. Nothing about was said about those two kids.

He did make some remarks about not working hard enough, but those were directed at his whole team, not the guys that quit. He was very careful about that, but you could easily mistake those general comments as applied to only our lost kids.

Coach Matt Painter:

He said in the interview many times that they were good people. Even acknowledged haarms as a grad and different.
He said nojel was making a mistake, not trashing him. Nojel has a lot of people giving him bad info and coddling him apparently. An authority figure giving him truth is exactly what he needed.
He wasnt wrong and said he had already told them both the same things face to face.

Not sure what's wrong with that at all

He definitely could've held back a few of his more pointed comments and still gotten his message across. I think if he'd have waited just a day or two to give the interview that's what would have happened. But nobody is perfect and his feelings are totally understandable given what we know now about the Eastern situation and Michigan. After giving this a day of thought myself I've gone from the OP perspective to something of a middle ground. Just glad that, outside the Purdue sphere a few tweets here and there, this has basically been passed over in the media.

I like how CMP handled this. One of the most important reasons is that he showed passion. Passion to basketball, passion to his job, passion to his alma mater, passion to his team and coaches. And he also showed passion to the Purdue fans. You don't get any better than that. All the best have it and he has it in diamonds.

Coach Matt Painter:

No way you listened to the interview...you saw some of the "fiery" comments and came to this. Go listen to it and you just might have a different opinion.

No way you listened to the interview...you saw some of the "fiery" comments and came to this. Go listen to it and you just might have a different opinion.

You're absolutely right. I listened to the entire podcast. Painter was candid but also respectful. I literally heard him say he loved Nojel and Matt no less than 3 times. He wasn't trashing them. He just disagreed with their decisions...

You're absolutely right. I listened to the entire podcast. Painter was candid but also respectful. I literally heard him say he loved Nojel and Matt no less than 3 times. He wasn't trashing them. He just disagreed with their decisions...

I think some of the fans could take a page out of CMP's book on this one. He was hurt more than any of us.

Coach Matt Painter:

He di

Boile
Coach Matt Painter:

I am proud of what and how Matt Painter handled this....open and honest.

I too was at Purdue when Matt played and I would of handled it same way.

I guess when your 50+ you can pretty much cut thru the bullshit and not sugarcoat anything or worry about hurting anyone's feelings......truth hurts so sack up and take it.

No room for selfishness in a team sport and loyalty and honesty are traits kids today need to learn, not run from.

I learned a long time ago we all love Purdue but we are not all the same and all have different opinions.

I am proud Matt Painter is our coach and I know Gene Keady would have done the same.

Boiler Up!

Matt Painter's response reminded me of this seen in "A Few Good Men":

"Unit, Corp, God, Country"......

Purdue culture Matt Painter preaches and is honest with everyone:

"Team/Family, Education, God, Purdue".......

Basically upfront about everything so the young men know this is what we expect and stand for and either choose to be apart of it or move on.......

Boiler Up!

Reactions: Do Dah Day
He di

Boile

I am proud of what and how Matt Painter handled this....open and honest.

I too was at Purdue when Matt played and I would of handled it same way.

I guess when your 50+ you can pretty much cut thru the bullshit and not sugarcoat anything or worry about hurting anyone's feelings......truth hurts so sack up and take it.

No room for selfishness in a team sport and loyalty and honesty are traits kids today need to learn, not run from.

I learned a long time ago we all love Purdue but we are not all the same and all have different opinions.

I am proud Matt Painter is our coach and I know Gene Keady would have done the same.

Boiler Up!
When the season finished Gene's common comments were about finding better players. ;) Harsher than Matt's approach and even then we understood Gene loved his players...

Coach Matt Painter:

You are one of these people that hear Jimmy but do not listen to Jimmy Don't just hear it listen . And I get tired When people Call them kids they're young adults. Matt painter did nothing but tell the truth in that interview And again these are young adults not twelve-year-old kids they can take a little Criticism .

You are one of these people that hear Jimmy but do not listen to Jimmy Don't just hear it listen . And I get tired When people Call them kids they're young adults. Matt painter did nothing but tell the truth in that interview And again these are young adults not twelve-year-old kids they can take a little Criticism .
KaBINGO!

Reactions: purduepat1969
Exactly. Nojel is 21 I believe. By the time I was 21 I was 3 years into my steel mill career and military personnel are 3 years in as well. They are not kids anymore

Reactions: JRowdy20
I’ve followed Painter’s entire career at Purdue. As coach at SIU he lived next to our church’s parsonage. Many other players have left Purdue. And for everyone else except Smotherman, all Painter ever said was he wished them well. For Smotherman, since he left and came back, he said it just didn’t work out.

for Painter to be so candid, I have to believe he was hurt and very disappointed by their actions.

however based on the tweets by two players, it appears that neither player commanded the respect of their team mates and maybe it was a good idea chemistry wise that they did leave.

it’s very hard on a team when it’s captains are not respected by their fellow teammates. It’s also tough when players are not willing to accept roles that may be diminished in the future.

I am probably getting his name wrong, but didn’t Raphael Davis say as a senior that he would be willing to accept a lesser role and come off the bench if it meant improving the team? I realize that’s not what happened. But I liked him a lot more because of what he said he’d be willing to do for the success of the team. He put the team ahead of himself. I’ll repeat, that’s not what happened. He started as a senior. But he said publicly he’d do whatever it takes to produce a winner even if it meant he’d come off the bench!

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Work on improving your team that you currently have and maybe or should I say finally making it to the Final Four.
I would suggest you take your own advice. The FF comment is irrelevant and says more about you than it does him. Speaking candidly, as Matt did, is certainly not “trashing” anyone. Painter may be the only one, especially in Eastern’s case (I actually feel bad for what that young man has to live with), with these kids’ best interest in mind.

I would suggest you take your own advice. The FF comment is irrelevant and says more about you than it does him. Speaking candidly, as Matt did, is certainly not “trashing” anyone. Painter may be the only one, especially in Eastern’s case (I actually feel bad for what that young man has to live with), with these kids’ best interest in mind.

You are so right about this. And I don't think anyone has made that point yet.
From the outside it appears that NE's inner circle has spent years telling him he is NBA material but he is not developing along that path, unfortunately. He may have the physical tools but his head is not aligned with the mission and I would be comfortable saying that is because of all the "support" he is getting from his inner circle. That he is good enough, that CMP is at fault here- this does not tell him he needs to work harder or be more focused; it just tells him the system is screwing him so find another system. They finally sold that to him and he is gone. From comments made at the end of his freshman year by someone close to him, this move has been "in the works" for a long time. Nojel, to his credit, appeared to be resistant to making this move or he would have been gone long ago.
BUT- Matt and his staff look to be the only adults in his immediate environment who are not looking at the kid as a meal ticket that needs to be cashed in. At this point they are not so much looking out for Nojel as becoming frantic that their "future" is getting away from them. Desperate times are calling for desperate measures it would seem. Hence the transfer.
I think at some point in Nojel's future he will realize that Matt was the one who had his/Nojel's best interests at heart, not his advisory group. But by then it will be way to late.
I actually feel real sorrow for Nojel. He has a big heart and a great personality- I always thought he was a great kid and I still do. But he is having to live on an every day basis with people who I believe do not really have his best interest as their pole star. That is tough at any age but especially when you are so young. The pressure on him had to be immense to do this. I really do hope this works out well for him, but I fear it is not likely to do so.

Exactly. Nojel is 21 I believe. By the time I was 21 I was 3 years into my steel mill career and military personnel are 3 years in as well. They are not kids anymore

At 21 years of age, I had started my engineering and management career in a corporation that expected me to act like an adult and make good decisions. I understand people are taken advantage of, but as an adult, you make your own decisions.

Coach Matt Painter:

One of those broke college kids drives a pretty expensive vehicle!

You are so right about this. And I don't think anyone has made that point yet.
From the outside it appears that NE's inner circle has spent years telling him he is NBA material but he is not developing along that path, unfortunately. He may have the physical tools but his head is not aligned with the mission and I would be comfortable saying that is because of all the "support" he is getting from his inner circle. That he is good enough, that CMP is at fault here- this does not tell him he needs to work harder or be more focused; it just tells him the system is screwing him so find another system. They finally sold that to him and he is gone. From comments made at the end of his freshman year by someone close to him, this move has been "in the works" for a long time. Nojel, to his credit, appeared to be resistant to making this move or he would have been gone long ago.
BUT- Matt and his staff look to be the only adults in his immediate environment who are not looking at the kid as a meal ticket that needs to be cashed in. At this point they are not so much looking out for Nojel as becoming frantic that their "future" is getting away from them. Desperate times are calling for desperate measures it would seem. Hence the transfer.
I think at some point in Nojel's future he will realize that Matt was the one who had his/Nojel's best interests at heart, not his advisory group. But by then it will be way to late.
I actually feel real sorrow for Nojel. He has a big heart and a great personality- I always thought he was a great kid and I still do. But he is having to live on an every day basis with people who I believe do not really have his best interest as their pole star. That is tough at any age but especially when you are so young. The pressure on him had to be immense to do this. I really do hope this works out well for him, but I fear it is not likely to do so.
This situation highlights the difference in the relationship between Biggie and Rosie compared to Nojel and Ms Reed. Rosie knows how the system works and he pushed Biggie to better himself while Also pushing him to surround himself with folks like Painter. In Nojels case, it has always been obvious from statements made here that it was the system not designed around Nojels strengths that were holding him back. In other words, one sought a straight shooter in Painter and put in the work to leave no doubt that offense needed to be built around his skills and he saw that happen. The other expected the offense to be built to him without putting in the work and assuring the need for it to be so.

Coach Matt Painter:

What Coach Painter said was 100% accurate. If you found it offensive you need to put your big boy panties on and grow up as well. Enjoy your quarantine in your unsafe city.

No your thread post is very snowflake. Sorry, Matt spoke the truth and not speaking the reality getting to the next level is snowflake. Taking the high road is complete crap.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
This situation highlights the difference in the relationship between Biggie and Rosie compared to Nojel and Ms Reed. Rosie knows how the system works and he pushed Biggie to better himself while Also pushing him to surround himself with folks like Painter. In Nojels case, it has always been obvious from statements made here that it was the system not designed around Nojels strengths that were holding him back. In other words, one sought a straight shooter in Painter and put in the work to leave no doubt that offense needed to be built around his skills and he saw that happen. The other expected the offense to be built to him without putting in the work and assuring the need for it to be so.

Totally agree with this.

Generally speaking, I also think the takeaway is the importance of a strong, but loving father figure in a boy's growth into manhood. A boy needs tough love from a father figure to prepare him for the world, but it's important that there is a strong trust in place first... otherwise, that tough love may be perceived as anything but love and do more harm than good to the child.

Conversely, enforcing a believe in a child that they are better than they are or they deserve more than they have with the absence of any self reflection can leave the child resentful and mad at the world when they do not receive what they feel entitled to.

I truly believe Nojel is a really great person and teammate. Also, he helped us win a lot of games through his hard work and sacrifice. I wish him the best at Mich (except when they play us). I also hope to see him overcome his offensive struggles because if he gets the right mentality, his potential is enormous. I think he can do it, but it will take a lot of hard work, focus, practice ... and most importantly - belief.

Reactions: Inspector100
Coach Matt Painter:

Great post. I agree with your thoughts. Coach Painter was obviously upset and you could hear it in his way. Not sure if anyone recalls but Keady was way worse when things didn't go his way. He used to throw guys under the bus after getting knocked out of the NCAA tournament and his famous line was "I need to recruit and coach better" which to me was very demeaning to his players... I know he said some worse stuff also. I actually think this is a GOOD thing for Purdue hoops in the long run. Go with the youth and letem run hard and in 2-3 years we are going to kick some serious ass... I will be rooting for Haarms and Eastern going forward and only wish them the best. GO BOILERS !!!!

My son made a comment today, and it reminded me of what Mrs Reed said about 15,000 times. She said her son has the talent to be an NBA point guard and he was as good as all those other players at those national camps. However, Painter's motion offense does not focus on, showcase, or utilize a traditional point guard. and her son's talents were being wasted, and not fully utilized.

I recall what Haas said when he chose Purdue. He said Purdue had a reputation for developing BIG men for the NBA. He didn't come to Purdue for our academic programs. His desire was to play in the NBA. and Painter did develop him to at least get signed by an NBA team. And he would have been drafted if not for his injury.

And I am reminded of a thread made after Eastern's first year that caused a lot of stir and was quickly deleted where Mrs Reed hinted Eastern would not be coming back. she indicated he can't show his talents if he doesn't get the ball. and the ever famous phrase, you don't know what you got till it's gone. and many posters asked at that time is eastern thinking of leaving? and then the thread was quickly deleted.

I thought Eastern had a great freshmen year considering who was on the team. But, Mrs. Reed was obviously not happy with the way her son was utilized.

This makes me ask the question, if his desire was to become a traditional PG, why did he come to Purdue ? and why did he stay after his first year ? maybe for a chance to play on a final 4 team? and when that chance was gone so was he ? If he really wanted to play PG and be the "guy", Purdue was not the place to show off his wares.

I read an article today from the Michigan perspective. It said Eastern would have to sit out a year, giving him a year to develop his game. Even they were knowledgeable his game needs improvement. and it said he'd be a great experienced role player "backing up" multiple positions for younger players using his defense. he's basically an insurance policy. That sure didn't sound like they anticipated showing off his point guard talents either. this begs two questions: why Michigan ???? and how much thought was actually put into making this decision?

I'm going to make a very bold prediction. With the creation of the new developmental G league, and if Eastern is required to sit out a year, I don't believe he'll ever play a game for Michigan. he'll use Michigan's coaches to get connections and he'll latch on with the first pro team that offers him a contract.

Reactions: samcboiler
My son made a comment today, and it reminded me of what Mrs Reed said about 15,000 times. She said her son has the talent to be an NBA point guard and he was as good as all those other players at those national camps. However, Painter's motion offense does not focus on, showcase, or utilize a traditional point guard. and her son's talents were being wasted, and not fully utilized.

I recall what Haas said when he chose Purdue. He said Purdue had a reputation for developing BIG men for the NBA. He didn't come to Purdue for our academic programs. His desire was to play in the NBA. and Painter did develop him to at least get signed by an NBA team. And he would have been drafted if not for his injury.

And I am reminded of a thread made after Eastern's first year that caused a lot of stir and was quickly deleted where Mrs Reed hinted Eastern would not be coming back. she indicated he can't show his talents if he doesn't get the ball. and the ever famous phrase, you don't know what you got till it's gone. and many posters asked at that time is eastern thinking of leaving? and then the thread was quickly deleted.

I thought Eastern had a great freshmen year considering who was on the team. But, Mrs. Reed was obviously not happy with the way her son was utilized.

This makes me ask the question, if his desire was to become a traditional PG, why did he come to Purdue ? and why did he stay after his first year ? maybe for a chance to play on a final 4 team? and when that chance was gone so was he ? If he really wanted to play PG and be the "guy", Purdue was not the place to show off his wares.

I read an article today from the Michigan perspective. It said Eastern would have to sit out a year, giving him a year to develop his game. Even they were knowledgeable his game needs improvement. and it said he'd be a great experienced role player "backing up" multiple positions for younger players using his defense. he's basically an insurance policy. That sure didn't sound like they anticipated showing off his point guard talents either. this begs two questions: why Michigan ???? and how much thought was actually put into making this decision?

I'm going to make a very bold prediction. With the creation of the new developmental G league, and if Eastern is required to sit out a year, I don't believe he'll ever play a game for Michigan. he'll use Michigan's coaches to get connections and he'll latch on with the first pro team that offers him a contract.
Nice take and post. I enjoyed reading it... Very refreshing to see some real thought put into a post. Thanks.

I agree with most of your conjecture. Most of the kids (Haas included) on our team came because Purdue and Painter do a great job of developing talent. Those that have the skills and the work ethic can use the tools Painter gives them to make it to the next level. That should be no surprise to anyone.

like you, I think Nojel will not be able to showcase anything more at Michigan than he did at Purdue. In fact, like you I will be surprised if he plays one game for UM. I think it is tragic that Jelly has been mislead by those he trusts.

I think the only concern I have with what you said has to do with this weird concept that Painters motion offense doesn’t allow a PG to ‘showcase’ his skills. Sorry, but momma Reed had it wrong. Guard after guard has shown the ability to score and create in the motion. Over the years many of Purdue’s guards have led the team in scoring. let’s not get hung upon the difference between PG and SG, because once the ball is passed, they both have equal access to the basket to score or assist.

Now, watch reply’s of this years team. Nojel brings the ball up, but then acts like it is a hot potato. He passes it as quickly as he can and doesn’t even try to make moves toward the basket, or even try to shoot. He has the same opportunity to score or ‘showcase’ as Carsen Edwards, Eric Hunter, or go back to Etwaan Moore. Sorry, but that fairy tale about the motion offense just doesn’t ring true, and we need to knock it down when ever someone drags it up.

Goodness sakes. Eastern can't shoot and he was too hesitant with the ball to score. That's the crux of the issue. It doesn't matter if he played at Michigan, Duke, Kentucky, or anywhere else.

With regard to Haarms, most players decide to go to a place where their talents are going to be utilized and developed. I liked Haarms a lot, and think he'll be a much bigger loss than Eastern, but he didn't improve at all from his sophomore to junior year. Some of that was likely injury. And Tre was clearly the better post player.

I agree with most of your conjecture. Most of the kids (Haas included) on our team came because Purdue and Painter do a great job of developing talent. Those that have the skills and the work ethic can use the tools Painter gives them to make it to the next level. That should be no surprise to anyone.

like you, I think Nojel will not be able to showcase anything more at Michigan than he did at Purdue. In fact, like you I will be surprised if he plays one game for UM. I think it is tragic that Jelly has been mislead by those he trusts.

I think the only concern I have with what you said has to do with this weird concept that Painters motion offense doesn’t allow a PG to ‘showcase’ his skills. Sorry, but momma Reed had it wrong. Guard after guard has shown the ability to score and create in the motion. Over the years many of Purdue’s guards have led the team in scoring. let’s not get hung upon the difference between PG and SG, because once the ball is passed, they both have equal access to the basket to score or assist.

Now, watch reply’s of this years team. Nojel brings the ball up, but then acts like it is a hot potato. He passes it as quickly as he can and doesn’t even try to make moves toward the basket, or even try to shoot. He has the same opportunity to score or ‘showcase’ as Carsen Edwards, Eric Hunter, or go back to Etwaan Moore. Sorry, but that fairy tale about the motion offense just doesn’t ring true, and we need to knock it down when ever someone drags it up.
When it comes to "equal opportunity to showcase talents", not all PG's are given the same role in this offense. I think this is part of the disconnect between coach and player/parent. Carsen was given the green light to do a lot of things that didn't strictly fit into a motion offense. They ran a ton of sets for both him and Cline last year. But that is because they proved capable of doing certain things over and over with high efficiency. When you do that the coach will expand your role and tailor the offense to your skills. I believe the "hot potato" game with Eastern was because he didn't show confidence/ability to reliably do.. well.. much at all offensively.

When I say PG, I mean the traditional point guard like Rondo and Rubio and Nash and Stockton and Spurs' Parker, and Magic. Oscar Robertson, and LeBron. I think of the guy that runs the show and dishes out 8-15 assists a game and sometimes scores. In Milwaukee, several years ago they tried to make Giannis their point guard. And no, I've never really seen that in Painter's motion offense. and no, I've never seen Painter being able to recruit an elite Pg to play at Purdue. Painter's teams are more about team play than allowing one single player run the show. Carsen scored a lot of points, but he got others involved.

I think of Moore and Carsen as being great shooting guards. But I never would classify either as a true point guard.

I realize in today's game a point guard is also expected to score. but in the sense of a true point guard, he is the one running the show rather than looking to the bench to find out what plays he is supposed to run.

Watching Purdue basketball, I haven't really seen that in a long time. Lew jack was one as was Sichting. Purdue has had a lot of great guards, but as you have said, the position has sort of changed, and more scoring and perimeter shooting is now expected.

and sadly, perimeter shooting was never Eastern's strength. To be honest, I'm not sure if passing, distributing the ball and running the show was his strength either.

to me a point guard should be more integral to running the offense than being a great defender.

Coach Matt Painter:

In other words, don't ever recruit a Nojel Eastern again.

Reactions: JRowdy20
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT