ADVERTISEMENT

Sydney Parrish transfers from Oregon to IU

Is that a serious question? What decade are you living in? IU has had much more sustained success the last few seasons than Purdue, that's obvious. I had questions on how she'd fit in Moren's system but I didn't realize the family connections she had at IU - and IU was one of her finalists coming out of high school, Purdue was not.

This is not a shocking development - it's actually somewhat expected, I was calling either IU or Iowa. A perimeter player isn't a major need for the team next year so it's not a huge deal we lost out.

Last edited:
Is that a serious question? What decade are you living in? IU has had much more sustained success the last few seasons than Purdue, that's obvious. I had questions on how she'd fit in Moren's system but I didn't realize the family connections she had at IU - and IU was one of her finalists coming out of high school, Purdue was not.

This is not a shocking development - it's actually somewhat expected, I was calling either IU or Iowa. A perimeter player isn't a major need for the team next year so it's not a huge deal we lost out.
Of course. Who needs a a solid 3pt shooter with the flexibility to play the 2 or 3. Not to mention the boost to your program.

Reactions: DAG10
It would've been a nice add, never said it wouldn't, but we really need a couple post players MUCH more than a 2/3 shooter. We have a plethora of combo guards on the roster.

Also Moren had years to develop a relationship with Parrish - as she was heavily recruited over her entire HS career and she had IU as a finalist as opposed to what, a little over a week that Gearlds had? I don't think this is any evidence to suggest KG isn't getting it done, it's just what we are going to have to live with until KG has some time to develop relationships with in-state elite basketball players.

For example, KG has quickly developed a strong relationship with SB Washington's coach who has 3 elite daughters, 2 of which have committed to Maryland. Who's to say that in a year or two 1 or both of them decide to transfer from the Terps and then decide to come closer to home to Purdue because of that relationship? Recruiting is all about relationships and you have to afford coaches time to build them.

I think she's done a really good job in a very short amount of time - but recruiting is a process and another strong year on the court will only help elevate her reputation and show kids what type of coach she is thus pushing them to make the decision to become a Boiler.

Last edited:
Figured it was a long shot. Just hoped she went outside big ten. Agree that CKG was at a disadvantage vs. Moren with a prior relationship to Parish. I think players want to play for CKG but the talent of the supporting players might hurt recruiting quality transfers.

Figured it was a long shot. Just hoped she went outside big ten. Agree that CKG was at a disadvantage vs. Moren with a prior relationship to Parish. I think players want to play for CKG but the talent of the supporting players might hurt recruiting quality transfers.
At some positions perhaps, but I don't see how a post transfer can look at our roster in the paint and be too terribly intimidated as I feel we have 1 (maybe 2) spots in the lineup completely up for grabs at the 4/5.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
At some positions perhaps, but I don't see how a post transfer can look at our roster in the paint and be too terribly intimidated as I feel we have 1 (maybe 2) spots in the lineup completely up for grabs at the 4/5.
Agree with you there. Just meant if someone looks at the lineup its not one piece away from winning a championship. A lot of players want immediate success

The thanks go further than that. Decisions were made repeatedly that assured there would not be three FF’s and a title in ten years again any time soon in our wbb history.
On the surface, that seems to certainly be true, and, admittedly...you would/do know more on the matter, and, that lends more credence. But, she was unfortunately so bad at her job at the end, that she indeed only helped the program there while simultaneously hurting her own...and, was STILL going to be the HC a year ago somehow.

Coach Moren did some work in the transfer portal. Not only getting Parrish but also Alyssa Geary from Providence. Averaged 10 points there. But maybe the biggest was just announced. Sara Scalia from Minnesota. 18 points per game. 41% from three. That was the last remaining piece.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and DAG10
Coach Moren did some work in the transfer portal. Not only getting Parrish but also Alyssa Geary from Providence. Averaged 10 points there. But maybe the biggest was just announced. Sara Scalia from Minnesota. 18 points per game. 41% from three. That was the last remaining piece.
Again, she was able to build a program while Versyp all but drove the Purdue one into the ground at the same time.

They gained credibility with getting Patberg...picking up Berger was huge...they have been on a roll since, and, are not going away anytime soon.

In Women's basketball, once you have reached a point of being relevant nationally, it is not incredibly hard generally to stay there...but, it is not as easy to get back once you have fallen off/out. Purdue was not just relevant nationally for a long time, it is was a legitimate contender...it was able to draw interest from some of the best HS players in the country...now, it is entirely irrelevant...nationally for certain, within the conference largely...and, really within the state even. Kaitie may change that...or at least some of it...and, I no doubt hope that she does, but, she has her work cut out for her certainly, and, Versyp did her no favors at all, including getting fired (or "resigning") when she did.

Sadly it is so true. Bobinski inherited a full plate and restoring wbb to prominence was just not his priority. Ironically his alma mater has not shared that attitude and neither did Xavier where he did not hire, but enjoyed the benefits of Kevin McGuff’s presence there while they enjoyed their most relevant success in wbb.

I think her best shot at a Final Four or national championship is in the rear view mirror now.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
I think her best shot at a Final Four or national championship is in the rear view mirror now.
I disagree. I think next years team could be better than this years team. This years team had suspect three point shooting. That gets severely upgraded with Scalia and Parrish. Holmes was coming off of surgery the last half of the season and was never her normal self so we get a hopefully healthy Holmes the whole year and the freshman coming in from Israel by all accounts is a better all around player than Nicole Cardano Hillary was so three point shooting and depth will be much improved. Props to Moren and staff for upgrading definite weaknesses from this years team.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
I tend to agree...I mean, when you graduate (and that is not even the right term in that she probably graduated 4 years ago), or lose (which is more accurate probably) your 7th-year guard (which will NEVER cease to be ridiculous)...the cornerstone from which everything else was built, it will take a toll...but, she was key in building what has been built there to the point that they are at least in a position where they have an opportunity to stay in the mix to compete for one. Easier said than done, especially with some other programs in the B1G having established themselves as well, but, while their best shot has indeed passed, they are still at a point where they are in the position to stay there, and, getting elite national-level recruits like Parrish to join the program enhances that possibility, and, lends more credibility to what Moren has done/is doing there.

Reactions: TC4THREE
I tend to agree...I mean, when you graduate (and that is not even the right term in that she probably graduated 4 years ago), or lose (which is more accurate probably) your 7th-year guard (which will NEVER cease to be ridiculous)...the cornerstone from which everything else was built, it will take a toll...but, she was key in building what has been built there to the point that they are at least in a position where they have an opportunity to stay in the mix to compete for one. Easier said than done, especially with some other programs in the B1G having established themselves as well, but, while their best shot has indeed passed, they are still at a point where they are in the position to stay there, and, getting elite national-level recruits like Parrish to join the program enhances that possibility, and, lends more credibility to what Moren has done/is doing there.
No doubt she has done a great job there. She's put herself in position to be in line for better jobs if Indiana doesn't support the program as it should.

No more wa wa baby posts. I don't care which teams are better than Purdue including Indiana.--our goal is to be a top program. Hats off to former Boiler Moren who has done the kind of job we want KG to do. Things don't usually fall into your lap. Katie surpassed what many of us thought she could this season after losing MClaughlin and Farquar, lost her big centr and played with two forwards in the post, one a raw frosh and still had a winning season and made the NIT. Now she is out there trying to improve next year and time will tell if she can. I think it is a matter of time only but of course will have to wait. Moren did not elevate Indiana over night.

No more wa wa baby posts. I don't care which teams are better than Purdue including Indiana.--our goal is to be a top program. Hats off to former Boiler Moren who has done the kind of job we want KG to do. Things don't usually fall into your lap. Katie surpassed what many of us thought she could this season after losing MClaughlin and Farquar, lost her big centr and played with two forwards in the post, one a raw frosh and still had a winning season and made the NIT. Now she is out there trying to improve next year and time will tell if she can. I think it is a matter of time only but of course will have to wait. Moren did not elevate Indiana over night.
Good post, Katie needs to hit the portal, I’m sure she’s all over it, we’ll see soon enough who the 2-3 additions are, might be 3-4.

I don't think acknowledging that Moren is doing ok at IU is any sort of excuse or limitation for us. We can be good regardless of the status of their program.

I don't think acknowledging that Moren is doing ok at IU is any sort of excuse or limitation for us. We can be good regardless of the status of their program.
Both IU and ND have snatched (no pun intended) good Indiana players right out from under us. Geralds has gotta turn that around.

Both IU and ND have snatched (no pun intended) good Indiana players right out from under us. Geralds has gotta turn that around.
Plenty of talent to go around. Seems like right now none of the three are even snagging the top player from Indiana each year.

I think IU will be better next year. Patbergs may have had a long career, but she just want that good, which is why she left ND. Parrish is an upgrade, there other transfer is an upgrade from their other departing senior, and they gain since depth finally in this recruiting class. Hard to see how they won't be better, especially off their center stays healthy all year. Coupled with Maryland imploding and Hillman gone, IU should rule the conference next year and be a top 5-10 level team

• Haha
Reactions: TC4THREE
Plenty of talent to go around. Seems like right now none of the three are even snagging the top player from Indiana each year.
Spot on observation. The elite State of Indiana HS players have been going to top out-of-state national programs – particularly Connecticut – for the last several years (the two best, this year!). If Purdue can keep just 50% of those in West Lafayette, relevancy returns very quickly, and Purdue once again becomes a destination for national talent.
CKG is such a competitor and authentic person that I really believe she is going to get it done. And probably much faster than any of us could ever believe, so I certainly will be patient.
Boiler Up!

I think IU will be better next year. Patbergs may have had a long career, but she just want that good, which is why she left ND. Parrish is an upgrade, there other transfer is an upgrade from their other departing senior, and they gain since depth finally in this recruiting class. Hard to see how they won't be better, especially off their center stays healthy all year. Coupled with Maryland imploding and Hillman gone, IU should rule the conference next year and be a top 5-10 level team
Fine. Let's bet. If IU goes to the Final Four next year, I'll leave this board. If they don't, then you leave this board. Deal?

Fine. Let's bet. If IU goes to the Final Four next year, I'll leave this board. If they don't, then you leave this board. Deal?
I said they would be better, and I will bet on that; if IU has a better record next year, your troll butt leaves forever, if they are the same or worse, I will. Now, do you have the stones to make a real wager or are you all air and no substance like many of your insult posts?

I said they would be better, and I will bet on that; if IU has a better record next year, your troll butt leaves forever, if they are the same or worse, I will. Now, do you have the stones to make a real wager or are you all air and no substance like many of your insult posts?
I laid out the terms. If you're scared, you're scared. You couldn't backpedal fast enough away from the Final Four talk which is what this conversation was about when you decided you'd try to act knowledgeable. Now that I highlighted it and you realize that ruling the Big Ten (and you're offering to bet they improve upon a 5th place finish lol) doesn't typically get you to a Final Four, you have no stones. Accept the terms you originally argued on or you are admitting you're full of it. There's no in between here and I already know which direction you're going.

I laid out the terms. If you're scared, you're scared. You couldn't backpedal fast enough away from the Final Four talk which is what this conversation was about when you decided you'd try to act knowledgeable. Now that I highlighted it and you realize that ruling the Big Ten (and you're offering to bet they improve upon a 5th place finish lol) doesn't typically get you to a Final Four, you have no stones. Accept the terms you originally argued on or you are admitting you're full of it. There's no in between here and I already know which direction you're going.
Okay, let me dumb this down so even you should understand, since you obviously have a real reading comprehension problem. IU had a slim chance this year even if Holmes had stayed healthy of making the FF. Let's call it 2%. I think they have a BETTER chance next year, but its still slim, call it 3%. Now only a great fool or someone who is reading challenged would conflate BETTER CHANCE with LIKELY CHANCE as you have obviously done. Either that or you are a massive troll with limited intelligence who likes bullying everyone on this board to make yourself feel important. Also, the comment about them finishing fifth is very misleading, as they were ONE GAME out of first and lost all their conference games with Holmes out of the lineup or shortly after her return. With the other top BT teams holding pat or getting much weaker I would not be surprised to see IU sweep the BT next season. Lastly, only a massive moron would bet on ANY team from the BT making the FF in this decade. The last BT team recruited in the conference to make the FF was MSU in 05. UM made it in 2015, but that was their first year in the BT with a roster that was recruited for ACC play. They have not gotten close to going back since and are steadily declining, until this year when the bottom has fallen out on Frese in the offseason. I offered you terms of a bet that was in line with what I was saying and you either are too clueless to comprehend it, or are a troll building a strawman that I refuse to acknoledge. I gave you my terms for the bet and you ran like the scared little girl you are inside. That is all I have to say to you sirrah, you may reply or not as it pleases you, but know that whatever you say is simply the equivalent of a duck farting in the water unless you are willing to discuss what I said and not your idiotic strawman argument. I do not care one way or the other about your wild ramblings and random ill conceived insults.

I read this much of your response. The rest is the real long-hand way for you to say "I'm full of it."

Either accept the terms you originally argued on or you have demonstrated you're full of it, which anyone who pays attention already knew anyway. It's simple. Either "I accept" or "I'm full of it". It doesn't require any backpedaling, squirming your way out of it, or long-winded explanations that don't address the point. Either you accept the bet I proposed or you have demonstrated you don't believe an ounce of what you type. End of story.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT