ADVERTISEMENT

SU game thoughts

May 29, 2001
Just wanted to share thoughts from PSU fan with some SU family. I attended the game at UConn and Cuse is the most impressive I have seen in 4 years. Louisville was so slouch team and they beat them handily by 24. Huskies are hurting with true FR QB who simply was not ready for pressure. They stuck to run game and attempted to slow game down then limit cheap point TOs. No passing attack. Problem was that SU had explosive plays whenever they wanted. It was not close. Shrader is a dual threat. Reminds me of Will Levis at Kentucky. He is strong athlete who can run but also big arm when needed. He is not a accurate, touch passer like Aidan but Shrader's accuracy on deep throws has improved this year. The running back Sean Tucker is one of best all-around backs in country and very underrated nationally. UConn made it priority to stop him yet he still got 112 and TD. He reminds me of Austin Ekeler type player. Strong, compact, fast and can hurt you catching ball out of backfield. Kid can score on any area of field. The WRs are small and fast and SU utilizes them on big play slants mostly, though had a few over-top TDs against UConn too. This is a good team playing with confidence. The defense has been a surprise. Secondary was very good against Louisville but not challenged with UConn. The front was able to control Huskies for most game. That said, I see some weaknesses with edge attack. Syracuse got caught on quick WR screen for long TD and also burnt on short side RB TD run. Seems like that is where Purdue should attack because Cuse got confused and out of position. Syracuse is also not a deep team so there is inexperience to exploit in LB/secondary. Comparing to PSU, Lions only won because of strong secondary and clock mismanagement by Brohm. Cuse has better runner at QB and stud all-around back so expect higher scoring game. Purdue will confuse hell out of Cuse secondary and should be able to score consistently. I doubt Cuse has the athletes on d-line to pressure Aidan since he will release it quick. It will really come down to special teams play and how effectively Purdue stops Schrader from running. They are dangerous when defense put on heels and forced to watch QB. I expect 45-42 with Purdue getting a lead in third and holding on. I don't know if SU is come from behind team. Good luck. Dome will be rocking.

Just wanted to share thoughts from PSU fan with some SU family. I attended the game at UConn and Cuse is the most impressive I have seen in 4 years. Louisville was so slouch team and they beat them handily by 24. Huskies are hurting with true FR QB who simply was not ready for pressure. They stuck to run game and attempted to slow game down then limit cheap point TOs. No passing attack. Problem was that SU had explosive plays whenever they wanted. It was not close. Shrader is a dual threat. Reminds me of Will Levis at Kentucky. He is strong athlete who can run but also big arm when needed. He is not a accurate, touch passer like Aidan but Shrader's accuracy on deep throws has improved this year. The running back Sean Tucker is one of best all-around backs in country and very underrated nationally. UConn made it priority to stop him yet he still got 112 and TD. He reminds me of Austin Ekeler type player. Strong, compact, fast and can hurt you catching ball out of backfield. Kid can score on any area of field. The WRs are small and fast and SU utilizes them on big play slants mostly, though had a few over-top TDs against UConn too. This is a good team playing with confidence. The defense has been a surprise. Secondary was very good against Louisville but not challenged with UConn. The front was able to control Huskies for most game. That said, I see some weaknesses with edge attack. Syracuse got caught on quick WR screen for long TD and also burnt on short side RB TD run. Seems like that is where Purdue should attack because Cuse got confused and out of position. Syracuse is also not a deep team so there is inexperience to exploit in LB/secondary. Comparing to PSU, Lions only won because of strong secondary and clock mismanagement by Brohm. Cuse has better runner at QB and stud all-around back so expect higher scoring game. Purdue will confuse hell out of Cuse secondary and should be able to score consistently. I doubt Cuse has the athletes on d-line to pressure Aidan since he will release it quick. It will really come down to special teams play and how effectively Purdue stops Schrader from running. They are dangerous when defense put on heels and forced to watch QB. I expect 45-42 with Purdue getting a lead in third and holding on. I don't know if SU is come from behind team. Good luck. Dome will be rocking.

Louisville gave up over 200 yards on the ground to Syracuse. I don't see that happening against Purdue's front 7.

Reactions: delarno
thanks for the write up. I admittedly know nothing about Cuse this year.

Early indication is Purdue is pretty stout vs the run.

Sounds like Syracuse is similar to PSU on offense, but obviously not as good on D. Thus, the experice in the PSU game should help the Boilers. We'll see.

thanks for the write up. I admittedly know nothing about Cuse this year.

Early indication is Purdue is pretty stout vs the run.

Sounds like Syracuse is similar to PSU on offense, but obviously not as good on D. Thus, the experice in the PSU game should help the Boilers. We'll see.

Not same at all. PSU had no established running game and green at RB (true FRs getting bulk of carries). Clifford can run but not fast, bruiser like Schrader. Tucker is better than any RB on PSU roster, with exception of emerging Nick Singleton. Shrader had nearly half of 200 rushing yards (94) against Lville so this is quite different approach to scoring. I do think Cuse will get 200 on ground but you will need to hold in red zone and force 3 and long. If you don't then could be long day. Defensively, I don't see them holding Purdue O to 24 points as secondary is less experienced You will score 5 TDs at least.

Last edited:
Not same at all. PSU had no established running game and green at RB (true FRs getting bulk of carries). Clifford can run but not fast, bruiser like Schrader. Tucker is better than any RB on PSU roster, with exception of emerging Nick Singleton. Shrader had nearly half of 200 rushing yards (94) against Lville so this is quite different approach to scoring. I do think Cuse will get 200 on ground but you will need to hold in red zone and force 3 and long. If you don't then could be long day. Defensively, I don't see them holding Purdue O to 24 points as secondary is less experienced You will score 5 TDs at least.
Yeah that Louusville box score got my attention. I think they are going to get some yards and points on us so we will have to make sure we get touchdowns in the red zone and not settle for field goals. Would be nice to get an early lead so they start to throw more than normal

Louisville also gave up 204 yards on the ground to UCF. So I'm not sure Louisville is really a good measuring stick for how good Syracuse's running game is. They'll be facing a different animal in Purdue who has good depth across the front 4.

The running back Sean Tucker is one of best all-around backs in country and very underrated nationally.

Comparing to PSU, Lions only won because of strong secondary and clock mismanagement by Brohm. Cuse has better runner at QB and stud all-around back so expect higher scoring game. Purdue will confuse hell out of Cuse secondary and should be able to score consistently.
Thanks for your insight. If Purdue can limit RB Sean Tucker's success (<100 yrds), we should make a good game of it. Brohm will have to trust his RBs and running game in 4th Qtr 4 minute offense or other games can slip away as we've all seen already.
I'm usually not a PSU fan, but hope you beat the hell out of O$U and Meatchicken. I have Brent Musburger's voice in my head whenever I hear Michigan. :)

Reactions: goboilers2
This is an absolutely huge game. Starting the season 1-2 vs. 2-1 with a quality win is a big difference.
Looks like a pick 'em game. The further into the week we get, the less confident I am feeling. Sound like their defense is built to stop the pass. This is a game where we really need a secondary offensive weapon to step up big.

Sound like their defense is built to stop the pass.
I think that alot of the hype for their pass defense comes from the fact that they played some pretty crappy passing attacks last year.

The following are the rankings of passing offense of most of the teams that they played: Ohio (108), Rutgers (114), Florida State (94), Clemson (103), Virginia Tech (112), Boston College (106), and Louisville (64). There were also two games against Liberty and Albany, which are just not on the same talent level. So that's 9 of the 12 teams they faced last year that had a passing attack that ranged from worse-than-average to downright lousy.

Not that much can be gleaned from this season so far, as we are only a few games in, but Louisville's passing offense is currently ranked 99th (in 2 games) and Uconn's is 123rd (in 3 games).

Syracuse played 3 teams with a top 25 passing attack: Wake Forrest (12), NC State (19), and Pitt (8).
Those teams offensively put up 40, 41, and 31 points on the Syracuse defense (with two out of three of those teams throwing for over 300 yards, and Syracuse lost all three games). Purdue's passing attack last year was 5th (and is currently ranked 18th).

Not saying that Purdue's offense is going to dominate, but just noting that their passing defense numbers might be a bit overrated.

Last edited:
I think that alot of the hype for their pass defense comes from the fact that they played some pretty crappy passing attacks last year.

The following are the rankings of passing offense of most of the teams that they played: Ohio (108), Rutgers (114), Florida State (94), Clemson (103), Virginia Tech (112), Boston College (106), and Louisville (64). There were also two games against Liberty and Albany, which are just not on the same talent level. So that's 9 of the 12 teams they faced last year that had a passing attack that ranged from worse-than-average to downright lousy.

Not that much can be gleaned from this season so far, as we are only a few games in, but Louisville's passing offense is currently ranked 99th (in 2 games) and Uconn's is 123rd (in 3 games).

They played 3 teams with a top 25 passing attack: Wake Forrest (12), NC State (19), and Pitt (8).
Those teams offensively put up 40, 41, and 31 points on the Syracuse defense (with two out of three of those teams throwing for over 300 yards, and Syracuse lost all three games). Purdue's passing attack last year was 5th (and is currently ranked 18th).

Not saying that Purdue's offense is going to dominate, but just noting that their passing defense numbers might be a bit overrated.
Those are good stats. Admittedly I looked less at their competition and results and more simply at the style of 3-3-5 defense and personnel. And in the words of Brohm, they give you a lot of different looks and things to think about. I don't think they are build to shut teams down but to make disruptive plays that can end a drive. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Reactions: DAG10
By the way I hope you like it here… unlike your board “disagreeing with our fans” is not the same thing as trolling

Purdue is going to go to a two high look with SS Kane intermediate. The corners will press and Purdue will run blitz and make Shrader beat them with accurate passes to covered receivers. None of this soft cushion that is likely one of many reasons that Louisville wants their coach fired

This is an absolutely huge game. Starting the season 1-2 vs. 2-1 with a quality win is a big difference.
Looks like a pick 'em game. The further into the week we get, the less confident I am feeling. Sound like their defense is built to stop the pass. This is a game where we really need a secondary offensive weapon to step up big.
Tracy is my pick to click! Boiler UP

I think we win by 9 or 10.
I will be please and excited if they just find a way to win. I don't have a good feel for either team at this point, and, it is a huge game (critical seems a bit strong) for both...a pivotal one. Not having Graham is really going to hurt Purdue. If Purdue could get a win in this one, it would be a quality win...a great road win...and, be great for confidence and momentum coming back home for the final non-conference game before consecutive conference road games that won't be easy...lose, and, questions likely abound.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Looking at the Twitter TL lots of smack talk and confidence coming from the Orange Crowd.
My God you’d think they’re a powerhouse SEC team with the over confidence that delusional fan base has. I’m all for giving them due respect, they seem confident they’re juggernauts on defense but good lord if you didn’t know any better they’d make you believe it’s going to be impossible to score on. FFS! Nice set up for a massive awakening. Won’t be the first time in the last few years.

My God you’d think they’re a powerhouse SEC team with the over confidence that delusional fan base has. I’m all for giving them due respect, they seem confident they’re juggernauts on defense but good lord if you didn’t know any better they’d make you believe it’s going to be impossible to score on. FFS! Nice set up for a massive awakening. Won’t be the first time in the last few years.

Their football board has a lot of cocky posters. They believe they're better than Penn St and their corners are better than Joey Porter. One poster stated that by the time we play Purdue we'll be in the Top 25 and they won't. I guess they don't realize they played UofL and UConn, and not Bama and Georgia...

In my video I went over their record since 2014.... They have only won over five games one time since 2014. 10 wins in 2018. They are basing everything off a win against a bad Louisville team. Purdue needs to come out aggressive and shut them up

Reactions: PumpkinShuckers07
Yeah I didn’t know it was time to cue Verne lunquist lmao …

“And the Syracuse secondary .. Jeremy Brown, Janoris Jenkins and of course the safeties Will Hill and Ahhhhhmad Black.” Lol. I’ll await the arrival of Urban Babers on the telecast lol.

We shall see. I think you underestimate our defense though. Not sure why it is being missed. Anyway, here is to a clean game.
No no one does.. you have an anemic OL that will need extra bodies to match up with our interior. If you don’t give extra bodies you allow 6 yard runs to downing all day. If you do, you leave the middle open.

the way to run the defense you’re trying to run is to do it with players who are equally explosive but at a much larger weight. If your NT was an explosive 300+ lbs and the other two were very physical and explosive at 275-280, you’d be on to something.

Purdue doesn’t run the ball on Wisconsin or Iowa. You guys aren’t that..

Louisville also gave up 204 yards on the ground to UCF. So I'm not sure Louisville is really a good measuring stick for how good Syracuse's running game is. They'll be facing a different animal in Purdue who has good depth across the front 4.
I think Syracuse fans are gonna get some bad news when they see the front of Jenkins/Humpich, Johnson/Brevard, Deen/Boyd and Sullivan/Sydnor/Caraway with brothers/Fakasiieki, Douglas/Wahlberg and Jefferson/Kane at the second level. Shrader is found to ha e to stand back there and be an accurate 3-4 read passer for them to win… they aren’t running all over us like they think.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I think Syracuse fans are gonna get some bad news when they see the front of Jenkins/Humpich, Johnson/Brevard, Deen/Boyd and Sullivan/Sydnor/Caraway with brothers/Fakasiieki, Douglas/Wahlberg and Jefferson/Kane at the second level. Shrader is found to ha e to stand back there and be an accurate 3-4 read passer for them to win… they aren’t running all over us like they think.
Hey you need to try Diavolas pizza in Indy.

P > S
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

Reactions: goboilers2
I’m always down… I loved workingman’s friend and also elmo’s during PSU week

My wife and I want there for the first time 2 weeks ago, then we went back the next weekend. And it’s a half hour from our house.

Go read Syracuse fan.com.. they think they are playing central Michigan

I watched UofL and FSU last night. UofL's passing defense was like a sieve. FSU's starting QB was hurt in the first half. They brought their backup in and he passed all over. UofL gave up almost 200 yards rushing, again...

ADVERTISEMENT