ADVERTISEMENT

Stumbled upon Duke gameday thread....

boilerman101

True Freshman
Nov 11, 2011
Interesting to see the before and after. I think they meant "Purdue". Long read....LOL

Official Gameday thread- game 8- Duke Vs Purdont​

Last edited:
That's entertainment. Seems as if many posters are graduates of the Bob Davie School of Spelling. I saw "Eddy," "Eady," (and one Sasquatch -- that was mildly amusing).

Even Bilas was sped up by Edey, saying "Zedey" a couple of times during the broadcadt.

Cosmo better get to work on "Ziti Zach"...and keep it well out of reach.

Reactions: TX4GB and Zaphod_B
Read the first and last page and seemed at least somewhat realistic and complementary of us, Light years better than any iu thread i've seen linked here.
Experience Beats talented youth.
Well we started 2 true freshman at the guard positions.

Substitute experience, at least in this case, for toughness and basketball smarts and I'd agree.

Interesting to see the before and after. I think they meant "Purdue". Long read....LOL

Hey - even Duke has fans complaining about their coach not making any defensive adjustments!

When they switched to zone, I knew we had them. At first we struggled because we don’t see that antiquated defense too often. However once we saw them double Edey, the game was done. Three point and o-rebound heaven.

:cool:

Reactions: Do Dah Day
When they switched to zone, I knew we had them. At first we struggled because we don’t see that antiquated defense too often. However once we saw them double Edey, the game was done. Three point and o-rebound heaven.

:cool:
I thought the same thing. Our guards (or whoever had the ball up top) sometimes over thought and hesitated, thus helping Duke, but each time down the floor you could tell that zone was softening like wet sand.

Reactions: mathboy
I thought the same thing. Our guards (or whoever had the ball up top) sometimes over thought and hesitated, thus helping Duke, but each time down the floor you could tell that zone was softening like wet sand.
If we had been a team that only had a center-centered or drive-the-basket offense, then zoning might have helped Duke. Throw a zone at this Purdue team and they will bury in threes before you can get it back to man-to-man. When the announcer said Duke was showing zone, I told my wife that the game was over, and to watch Loyer, Furst, and company start shooting threes.

Maybe with this clear demonstration of the short coming of zone defense, we will have heard the last of that nonsense?

If we had been a team that only had a center-centered or drive-the-basket offense, then zoning might have helped Duke. Throw a zone at this Purdue team and they will bury in threes before you can get it back to man-to-man. When the announcer said Duke was showing zone, I told my wife that the game was over, and to watch Loyer, Furst, and company start shooting threes.

Maybe with this clear demonstration of the short coming of zone defense, we will have heard the last of that nonsense?
I think just the opposite. Listen to CMP in the post game presser. The zone did have an impact and the lead went down when they first put it on. Flow of our offense changed. They went to zone at the 15:51 mark. We had a 15 pt lead at the time. We proceeded to go 5 straight possessions without a point. Thankfully Duke couldn't score much either but by the 6th possession with a Furst rebound and basket the lead had been cut to 9.

You need to go back and watch that stretch of the 2nd half. If you don't think the zone had an impact then you are just being stubborn. Yes, we adapted eventually and Duke went ice cold for a long stretch to end the game. Because of that, I think some are forgetting that 4 minute stretch where the zone had an impact.

I will say it once again: Zone defense has a place in the college game. Your comment that "Throw a zone at this team and they will bury you in 3's before you can get back to Man to man" is factually wrong. We went 5 straight possessions without scoring a point. On the 6th possession it was a Furst put back that scored the basket.

I love this team and I'm thrilled with the way we are playing. But I think it's important to be factually correct when discussing a game. You're taking a beautiful win and trying to somehow twist that into justifying the hate for a zone defense. The facts don't support that.

Read the first and last page and seemed at least somewhat realistic and complementary of us, Light years better than any iu thread i've seen linked here.
Well at BTownBanners it's been pretty glowing reviews of Purdue.

Purdue played Duke and beat them yesterday, IU had nothing to do with that event, yet here we are, managing to bring IU into the conversation. Again.

I swear those candy cane pants own rent in some of your heads...

I think just the opposite. Listen to CMP in the post game presser. The zone did have an impact and the lead went down when they first put it on. Flow of our offense changed. They went to zone at the 15:51 mark. We had a 15 pt lead at the time. We proceeded to go 5 straight possessions without a point. Thankfully Duke couldn't score much either but by the 6th possession with a Furst rebound and basket the lead had been cut to 9.

You need to go back and watch that stretch of the 2nd half. If you don't think the zone had an impact then you are just being stubborn. Yes, we adapted eventually and Duke went ice cold for a long stretch to end the game. Because of that, I think some are forgetting that 4 minute stretch where the zone had an impact.

I will say it once again: Zone defense has a place in the college game. Your comment that "Throw a zone at this team and they will bury you in 3's before you can get back to Man to man" is factually wrong. We went 5 straight possessions without scoring a point. On the 6th possession it was a Furst put back that scored the basket.

I love this team and I'm thrilled with the way we are playing. But I think it's important to be factually correct when discussing a game. You're taking a beautiful win and trying to somehow twist that into justifying the hate for a zone defense. The facts don't support that.
I agree with part of this. We did not react well when we first ran into the zone. We continued to try and force the ball into Zack, which played into their hands. Our freshman PG has to learn a few things. We needed to swing it around and take the open shots from the perimeter, or work through a high post action. Slip Furst or Morton into that high post and we would kill it. Shooting over the zone is a well known weakness of zones, as is offensive rebounding. I would bet the next time we see a zone, we bury that opponent.

I agree with part of this. We did not react well when we first ran into the zone. We continued to try and force the ball into Zack, which played into their hands. Our freshman PG has to learn a few things. We needed to swing it around and take the open shots from the perimeter, or work through a high post action. Slip Furst or Morton into that high post and we would kill it. Shooting over the zone is a well known weakness of zones, as is offensive rebounding. I would bet the next time we see a zone, we bury that opponent.
Yeah eventually we saw Furst flash to the foul line and find Loyer for a corner 3.
Much like he started flashing to the middle to help break the press.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I'm sure of one thing: we will get a chance to prove you either right or wrong very soon. There is tape now. We will see more zones for sure. If nothing else, we will see it just like Duke did, mix it in to try and break up our flow. I agree that with more practice and time we will handle it just fine.

I'm not going to beat a dead horse (well maybe a little), but that stretch of the game yesterday was the textbook reason coaches have a zone in their back pocket even if they rarely use it. There are some on here that don't like hearing it, but it's true and there are many examples through out the season that demonstrate it. You just have to watch more than the B1G conference to see it.

That's one of the reasons (among many), these games are good - win or lose. You can bet Purdue will see some zone....box....and exotic coverages.....plus some teams will try to get really physical and mix up coverages on ZE (with various double teams).....and the press will come too. Still a learning curve, but I think eventually this team/group will be more adept at handling that than some other previous Boiler squads. They haven't had to manage foul trouble too much, although Braden Smith had a little bit in the first half yesterday. Come conference time, I expect that will happen from time to time.

Very little to criticize over the weekend, but I wouldn't be disappointed if they could finish a couple of drives a little better......really make the opponent pay. They have also done a much better job with loose balls since the Marquette game - would love to see that trend continue.

Funny seeing Duke fans crying about fouls 😂

Reactions: Erock_94 and TX4GB

Also interesting to see some Duke fans gripe about one-and-dones not staying long enough to develop and contribute their 2nd year.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Well Hell - I was going to type this exact same thing ... well done good and faithful race car friend!

Reactions: mathboy
Yeah eventually we saw Furst flash to the foul line and find Loyer for a corner 3.
Much like he started flashing to the middle to help break the press.
This is the first time in a while that I followed a "get to the middle" with a "good job!"

ADVERTISEMENT