ADVERTISEMENT

Student Debt Cancellation

The infrastructure bill. Increased focus on climate friendly energy (even though I think they’re looking at the wrong things - need to go to nuclear.) Handling of Ukraine.
We just announced billions more to Ukraine. when does that end?

when do we quit printing money for Ukraine?

Reactions: Boilermaker03
You said it yourself here... This is only for those who can pay back their loans. If that's the case, why are we paying them off with tax payer money?

Why should there be no GPA requirements? There is income and credit requirements for all other loans. Why is there no check for student loans? Pure Idiocy.

I would take advantage of an government freebie. As I stated, you would be stupid not to. That doesn't mean I agree the freebie should have been passed in the first place.

The ironic thing is that you have no issue with people taking advantage of this government freebie, but you do have issues with the rich taking advantage of the tax code.
I never said that this was “only” for who can pay their loans. It’s for anyone that qualify. Most can pay it back and there some that can’t that will get loan forgiven.

I don’t think there should be GPA requirements. Down the road if they want do that, I can live with it.

Don’t you think that it is hypocritical to be against something, but if you would take advantage of it if you were in that situation? That doesn’t make any sense.

You don’t like this loan forgiveness but appears that you don’t mind tax breaks for the rich. Reaganomics never worked and never will. These tax breaks for the rich puts the tax burden on me and the rest of the middle class. I rather have my taxes go to people who realty need a break like the fellow middle and lower classes.

Our government has been printing obscene amounts of money for the last 20 years. This isn’t a right or left thing, it’s Washington.
The money is printed to pay American corporations to build weapons for Ukraine. Capitalism!

We cheer that one unless we perceive it’s not directly benefiting us @ecouch, who would be among the first to take $10,000 in debt relief if he were eligible.

Actually, she said she would turn it down…that’s why she was mad.

(Our father told us to pay our bills and not take hand outs. It’s just how we were raised. I get that it is a difficult concept for some to grasp).

If you have ever watched Cinderella Man, you might remember a scene. (It’s when Jim Braddock went in to pay back the money he received from the government during the depression after he had got out of debt)

Man, only in the movies! Hollywood puts out stuff and all you can do is shake your head because THAT will never happen in real life, right?

The money is printed to pay American corporations to build weapons for Ukraine. Capitalism!

We cheer that one unless we perceive it’s not directly benefiting us @ecouch, who would be among the first to take $10,000 in debt relief if he were eligible.
I am fine with ending the ukraone slush fund.

That is beside the issue for people like me that had student loans years ago and paid them off. Or, those that never attended college, or those that have loans that are privately funded. Moving forward, this $10K loan forgiveness is the way to go. I wish it was more. Better than nothing.

The interest rates on these loans are ridiculous. Years ago right winger didn't even vote to reduce the interest rates. Yet they vote to forgive rich folks paying taxes all the time.
You buy into this lie hook line and stinker.

I never said that this was “only” for who can pay their loans. It’s for anyone that qualify. Most can pay it back and there some that can’t that will get loan forgiven.

I don’t think there should be GPA requirements. Down the road if they want do that, I can live with it.

Don’t you think that it is hypocritical to be against something, but if you would take advantage of it if you were in that situation? That doesn’t make any sense.

You don’t like this loan forgiveness but appears that you don’t mind tax breaks for the rich. Reaganomics never worked and never will. These tax breaks for the rich puts the tax burden on me and the rest of the middle class. I rather have my taxes go to people who realty need a break like the fellow middle and lower classes.
I meant "isn't only".

I meant GPA requirements for issuing new government funded loans moving forward. Basically if you are a bad student you likely aren't going to graduate and the loan likely isn't going to be paid back.

No it's not hypocritical at all. As I stated, it should have never been passed. However, since it was passed, I would take advantage of it, because it's already being funded. There is a difference.

How can you possibly say Reganomics never worked and that Rich people having tax loopholes doesn't work? We have the greatest economy in the world and it's because of rich people/capitalism. You clearly don't understand how it works. You like handouts. Pure laziness.

I meant "isn't only".

I meant GPA requirements for issuing new government funded loans moving forward. Basically if you are a bad student you likely aren't going to graduate and the loan likely isn't going to be paid back.

No it's not hypocritical at all. As I stated, it should have never been passed. However, since it was passed, I would take advantage of it, because it's already being funded. There is a difference.

How can you possibly say Reganomics never worked and that Rich people having tax loopholes doesn't work? We have the greatest economy in the world and it's because of rich people/capitalism. You clearly don't understand how it works. You like handouts. Pure laziness.
How about a compromise? You only get your loan forgiveness only if you graduate from an accredited institution.

Reaganomics worked alright. It worked only for the rich and corporations. The money from the tax break, rarely made to folks like me, the middle class or lower. These folks keep it for themselves as profit. Even Bush the Elder called it “voo doo economics”.

• Haha
How about a compromise? You only get your loan forgiveness only if you graduate from an accredited institution.

Reaganomics worked alright. It worked only for the rich and corporations. The money from the tax break, rarely made to folks like me, the middle class or lower. These folks keep it for themselves as profit. Even Bush the Elder called it “voo doo economics”.
Um no? There should never be loan forgiveness. That’s not how it works. You should only get an additional loan if you are in good standing with an accredited university.

Has your income increased since Reganomics began? I mean you are probably an unemployment lifer, but has the average person’s income increased since Reganomics?

Um no? There should never be loan forgiveness. That’s not how it works. You should only get an additional loan if you are in good standing with an accredited university.

Has your income increased since Reganomics began? I mean you are probably an unemployment lifer, but has the average person’s income increased since Reganomics?
Income increased due to cost of living increases. Not Reaganomics. Income increased even when corporate tax breaks have been rolled back.

Last edited:
Like what? Being reasonable rather than absolutist?

Trump did some things I liked. He did some things I find abhorrent.

Biden has done some things I like. Biden has done some things I don’t like politically, but I don’t find him abhorrent.

Obama did many things I didn’t like politically, but I would’ve taken him over Trump.

Hillary and Trump are both abhorrent. Didn’t vote for either one.

Would like to see two candidates in their 50s or 60s with moderate platforms. Conservative voters SHOULD love Liz Cheney, but they won’t because the party can’t get past Trump. Personally I hope she runs because she won’t be afraid to take Trump out at every corner even at the expense of her own candidacy. I think all the guys last time were afraid to take him to task, or when they did they didn’t do it with any substance. Now, there is plenty of substance to throw against him and intelligent Republicans will recognize that… hopefully they will then ensure he is not the nominee.
The fact that you found things Trump did abhorrent but not Biden says a lot.

Reactions: SKYDOG
There goes the name calling again. We were having a nice debate and now you call me an idiot. That’s mature.
It's not name calling, it's labeling. Useful idiot has a specific definition which you fit to a T.

Useful idiot​

In political jargon, a useful idiot is a term for a person perceived as propagandizing for a cause without fully comprehending the cause's goals, and who is cynically used by the cause's leaders.

Wrong. The tax breaks were for everyone. The rich received the lowest percentage break out of everyone. Hence why I LABELED you a useful idiot.
I didn’t see any of Chump’s so called tax breaks. If it was it was minimal compared to the wealthy. However, I was talking about the tax breaks for the rich of past Republican administrations.

Man, only in the movies! Hollywood puts out stuff and all you can do is shake your head because THAT will never happen in real life, right?
What people forget is before the 30s there was no unemployment, no government welfare, etc. My dad grew up on a farm where you survived on what you made and had that mentality pounded into by his skull by his dad. And he in turn pounded it into my skull.

Why pick up a fishing pole when the government hands out fish for free.

The infrastructure bill. Increased focus on climate friendly energy (even though I think they’re looking at the wrong things - need to go to nuclear.) Handling of Ukraine. I don’t remember all the EOs and things he did right after taking office but some of those I agreed with. He stopped alienating the US from treaties and agreements like NATO, et. al.

In general, this administration has shifted away from nationalism which is a good thing, IMO, because that kind of thing tends toward the extreme unless it is checked.

Also happy that Pubs will win at least one house of congress so we will go back to slow changes and check the progressive left from thinking they have a mandate (which they clearly do not).
Is it your opinion that treaties and agreements should be entered by the US for the purpose of strengthening the US? or being liked? Like entering into a climate accord that nobody follows, the top polluters and your enemies dont have to follow, and the end result is your people get poorer. But better to be liked globally then prosper at home? And ask how our Latin American neighbors feel about us and the billions your guy is pouring into the cartels which human trafficking and drug smuggling. You ever pick up news from down there? Maybe MSNBC-X?

I also noticed that you glossed over the Afghan exit...which as highly detailed in the Washington Post....was the main reason Putin decided to invade. But i dont need Jeff Bezos to get into a fight with POTUS to start releasing held stories, because I (the dumb dumb in our debates) can read foreign press. And i am old enough to remember this being printed globally. August 2021. https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...s-commitment-ukraine-after-afghan-2021-08-19/ .

As for that handling of the Ukraine, after all that tough talk and aviator-wearing our NATO allies keep buying their energy...now at inflated prices ...which buys them (more) weapons...which keeps the war going...which kills more people and we send money and weapons to god knows who...but dont question cuz you if you do you are a Putin puppet. Think about it. Our NATO allies are sending him the money that buys guns to fight against the guns my daughters' future buys. Round and round we go.

https://www.reuters.com/business/en...-price-will-more-than-double-2022-2022-08-17/

And because i have independent thought, I'll just go on record and predict that after getting tired of sleeping with us and raiding our wallet Zelensky will have a new found courtship with Xi and give him access to the energy and wheat he needs as a gift for getting Putin to make a deal. Food is gonna be really $$ and scarce this winter. Like world revolt mid-evil famine. Xi aint going down like that.

Time for minimum GPA requirements to receive student loans. If you don’t have a 3.0 or above, you get no more money.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but not the GPA requirement. I think it’s a poor indication of many things. When I was in high school I only had a 2.8 GPA, never studied, but I worked 35 40 hours a week at a local golf club while going to school. I valued that real world work experience a lot more than I did reading a text book and talking test. I got into Purdue because I scored around a 1350 on my SAT (it was out of 1600 at the time). Even in the real world now I find the people with good GPAs coming out of school aren’t necessarily good employees.

I mean who is really smarter, the guy that has a 2.8 GPA , never studies, and works a 40 hour a week job? Or the guy that studies 40 hours a week so he can have a 3.3 GPA, but has no other life experiences?

Reactions: BNIBoiler
Is it your opinion that treaties and agreements should be entered by the US for the purpose of strengthening the US? or being liked? Like entering into a climate accord that nobody follows, the top polluters and your enemies dont have to follow, and the end result is your people get poorer. But better to be liked globally then prosper at home? And ask how our Latin American neighbors feel about us and the billions your guy is pouring into the cartels which human trafficking and drug smuggling. You ever pick up news from down there? Maybe MSNBC-X?

I also noticed that you glossed over the Afghan exit...which as highly detailed in the Washington Post....was the main reason Putin decided to invade. But i dont need Jeff Bezos to get into a fight with POTUS to start releasing held stories, because I (the dumb dumb in our debates) can read foreign press. And i am old enough to remember this being printed globally. August 2021. https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...s-commitment-ukraine-after-afghan-2021-08-19/ .

As for that handling of the Ukraine, after all that tough talk and aviator-wearing our NATO allies keep buying their energy...now at inflated prices ...which buys them (more) weapons...which keeps the war going...which kills more people and we send money and weapons to god knows who...but dont question cuz you if you do you are a Putin puppet. Think about it. Our NATO allies are sending him the money that buys guns to fight against the guns my daughters' future buys. Round and round we go.

https://www.reuters.com/business/en...-price-will-more-than-double-2022-2022-08-17/

And because i have independent thought, I'll just go on record and predict that after getting tired of sleeping with us and raiding our wallet Zelensky will have a new found courtship with Xi and give him access to the energy and wheat he needs as a gift for getting Putin to make a deal. Food is gonna be really $$ and scarce this winter. Like world revolt mid-evil famine. Xi aint going down like that.
TL;DR.

Income increased due to cost of living increases. Not Reaganomics. Income increased even when corporate tax breaks have been rolled back.
Oh so corporations are responsible for pay increases for the middle/lower class? Who would have thought?

Just because you are lazy and decided not to work hard to improve your financial situation doesn’t mean it’s an option for everyone.

Oh so corporations are responsible for pay increases for the middle/lower class? Who would have thought?

Just because you are lazy and decided not to work hard to improve your financial situation doesn’t mean it’s an option for everyone.
My financial situation is dandy.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but not the GPA requirement. I think it’s a poor indication of many things. When I was in high school I only had a 2.8 GPA, never studied, but I worked 35 40 hours a week at a local golf club while going to school. I valued that real world work experience a lot more than I did reading a text book and talking test. I got into Purdue because I scored around a 1350 on my SAT (it was out of 1600 at the time). Even in the real world now I find the people with good GPAs coming out of school aren’t necessarily good employees.

I mean who is really smarter, the guy that has a 2.8 GPA , never studies, and works a 40 hour a week job? Or the guy that studies 40 hours a week so he can have a 3.3 GPA, but has no other life experiences?
I had a 2.6 when i graduated Purdue. If my scholarship/loan depended on more, I would have tried harder.

Degree or no degree, most Americans are middle class.
And yet they don’t have to be if they are smart and apply themselves to making more. You have clearly fallen for the classic democratic trap of just taking what the government (rich people) provide you. That’s fine though, because every country needs sheep

Degree or no degree, most Americans are middle class.
This is true. Two married individuals with degrees should be above middle class, IMO.

Using $67,521 as the base, the Pew definition of middle income would include households earning between $45,239 and $135,042.

Most people who call themselves middle class often don’t realize how good they have it (or understand where the median income level is for America)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT