ADVERTISEMENT

Steven Faucheux hits the transfer portal.

Brandt, that’s what I thought. I wasn’t sure about Washington. So there it is, we have three more scholarships for class of 2021 kids or transfers regardless of we lose any more players or recruits (unless we gray short or blue shirt).
We may also blueshirt some players coming in. Ansell might be able to blue shirt. A couple of the transfers too. Not sure since Covid blue up the recruiting process.

no you only get 25 initial counters per year in addition to the 85 rule. That includes transfers. This year they have 15 freshmen coming in and already have six scholarship transfers. In addition I believe they had a gray shirt or blue shirt (or possibly both) to get under in 2020. That makes 22, with 3 left.
Thanks for explaining the blue shirt player, I rarely pay attention as those are mid-year and typically not involved other than workouts and practicing in Spring.

I'll not be "forced" to do anything. It was an "observation". But the fact that you defend him at any mention from anyone on the board makes it pretty obvious.

But I'll analyze 2020 without an agenda:
1) Hired a DC that completely and utterly failed and fired him after one season.
2) Refused to talk to the press/fans about injuries or the status of key players
3) Dominated on the line of scrimmage by Northwestern, Rutgers, and Nebraska.
4) Abandoned running game in the latter half of the season.
5) Coached extremely conservatively on offense for 5 out of the 6 games
6) Lost a key player on D to COVID for 2 games (Karlaftis) and another player (Mitchell) due to a bicycle accident
7) Lost starting QB midway thru season
8) Star wide receiver didn't play 2/3 of season for undisclosed reasons.

1a) How did you not mention special teams?

1b) That had to be Poindexter, which probably drove Brohm to take a more hands on approach on defense. Overall, the critique here is valid, since Brohm should have cleaned house after getting rid of Holt. Hiring Brown and especially convincing Brown to stay another year could have been the biggest mistake by Brohm at Purdue.

3) The offensive line misses and injuries from the 2017-2018 classes contributed to depth issues in the 2019-2020 seasons, but this is slowly improving. The Miller and McKenna misses loom large... Bramel is injured... so, no offensive linemen from the 2017 or 2018 classes will likely start in 2021. For defensive line, there was a big drop off if/when Karlaftis and Mitchell were injured. However, the defensive line is looking pretty good for 2021, despite lingering questions over the longer-term. Offensive tackle and defensive tackle recruiting have been a struggle for Purdue, which is a key area to improve on.

5) Yeah, and we know Brohm was fed up with the bend don't break philosophy. I think the new aggressive defensive style will help Brohm also be more aggressive on offense and run more plays.

8) Moore was a distraction, but Brohm was put in a tough spot here. I don't know how else he could have handled that situation.

9) The decommits of Gonzalez, Stinson, Melton, and missing on other corners, like Tee Denson, hurt badly in 2020. Howard was a last resort after the staff found themselves in a bad spot. DJ Johnson didn't work out. On the plus side, the talent evaluation was on point for these originally committed secondary players. However, there is no way to sugarcoat this overall, the 2020 pass defense was abysmal.

10) Haven't had the right skills on defense to stop RPO offenses, especially at linebacker. After the low point in linebacker play in 2019, after the Bailey injury, the linebacker group is becoming a bright spot and potential strength of the defense for the next several years thanks to Y. Karlaftis and Brothers.

11) Haven't developed enough depth at certain positions, which is a combination of a dearth of talent from the 2015-2016 classes and the meh early 2017 and 2018 classes of the Brohm era. Although, the new early signing period rules often hurt the first two classes of a new coach, unless your name is Schiano with access to a helicopter and the ability to lockdown the state of New Jersey.

12) Craig, Bramel, and Jornigan were injured leaving a hole at RG. As Hermanns said in his exit interview, "The offensive line is only as strong as the weakest link." Beach had a career ending injury in a prior season, which would have added depth in 2020. Stickford injury status is a question mark. Washington's development was impacted by a broken leg in a prior season. Garvin played through an injury last year, and his performance suffered. More consistency and depth at offensive line will lead to more consistency on offense.

13) Locker room issues happening behind the scenes, which ultimately falls on Brohm. Now, the jury is still out on Lambert as a DC, but it's clear he has a low ego and creates a positive atmosphere for developing and mentoring young adults for learning the game of football. Lambert is well liked by all the players he coaches and has a high emotional IQ to deal with the intensity of Brohm. Do not underestimate the importance of Lambert's soft skills during the transfer era.

14) RB depth, health, and talent mix have been an ongoing issue. Doerue had a hamstring injury to start last year. Murphy made some poor decisions on the first game day. Hewitt was a miss. Evan Anderson is no longer with the team. However, the offseason moves give Purdue Horvath, Doerue, Downing, and Cross at 3 scholarships vs. Horvath, Doerue, Hewitt, and Murphy at 4 scholarships last year. Maintaining depth and freeing up another scholarship was a small but nice win this offseason, especially in trying to improve talent at multiple positions.

Last edited:
I'll not be "forced" to do anything. It was an "observation". But the fact that you defend him at any mention from anyone on the board makes it pretty obvious.

But I'll analyze 2020 without an agenda:
1) Hired a DC that completely and utterly failed and fired him after one season.
2) Refused to talk to the press/fans about injuries or the status of key players
3) Dominated on the line of scrimmage by Northwestern, Rutgers, and Nebraska.
4) Abandoned running game in the latter half of the season.
5) Coached extremely conservatively on offense for 5 out of the 6 games
6) Lost a key player on D to COVID for 2 games (Karlaftis) and another player (Mitchell) due to a bicycle accident
7) Lost starting QB midway thru season
8) Star wide receiver didn't play 2/3 of season for undisclosed reasons.
Of course you won't be "forced" to back up your claim. You can't.

I don't defend Brohm. That's utter nonsense. I will provide a balanced view of what is and has occurred. AND, I'll continue to say, he will survive or fail on his own merits. None of that is a defense.

If you believe looking at all sides of an issue is a "defense' of him, you're not being objective.

Be careful... #6 and 7 are defending Brohm...

1a) How did you not mention special teams?

1b) That had to be Poindexter, which probably drove Brohm to take a more hands on approach on defense. Overall, the critique here is valid, since Brohm should have cleaned house after getting rid of Holt. Hiring Brown and especially convincing Brown to stay another year could have been the biggest mistake by Brohm at Purdue.

3) The offensive line misses and injuries from the 2017-2018 classes contributed to depth issues in the 2019-2020 seasons, but this is slowly improving. The Miller and McKenna misses loom large... Bramel is injured... so, no offensive linemen from the 2017 or 2018 classes will likely start in 2021. For defensive line, there was a big drop off if/when Karlaftis and Mitchell were injured. However, the defensive line is looking pretty good for 2021, despite lingering questions over the longer-term. Offensive tackle and defensive tackle recruiting have been a struggle for Purdue, which is a key area to improve on.

5) Yeah, and we know Brohm was fed up with the bend don't break philosophy. I think the new aggressive defensive style will help Brohm also be more aggressive on offense and run more plays.

8) Moore was a distraction, but Brohm was put in a tough spot here. I don't know how else he could have handled that situation.

9) The decommits of Gonzalez, Stinson, Melton, and missing on other corners, like Tee Denson, hurt badly in 2020. Howard was a last resort after the staff found themselves in a bad spot. DJ Johnson didn't work out. On the plus side, the talent evaluation was on point for these originally committed secondary players. However, there is no way to sugarcoat this overall, the 2020 pass defense was abysmal.

10) Haven't had the right skills on defense to stop RPO offenses, especially at linebacker. After the low point in linebacker play in 2019, after the Bailey injury, the linebacker group is becoming a bright spot and potential strength of the defense for the next several years thanks to Y. Karlaftis and Brothers.

11) Haven't developed enough depth at certain positions, which is a combination of a dearth of talent from the 2015-2016 classes and the meh early 2017 and 2018 classes of the Brohm era. Although, the new early signing period rules often hurt the first two classes of a new coach, unless your name is Schiano with access to a helicopter and the ability to lockdown the state of New Jersey.

12) Craig, Bramel, and Jornigan were injured leaving a hole at RG. As Hermanns said in his exit interview, "The offensive line is only as strong as the weakest link." Beach had a career ending injury in a prior season, which would have added depth in 2020. Stickford injury status is a question mark. Washington's development was impacted by a broken leg in a prior season. Garvin played through an injury last year, and his performance suffered. More consistency and depth at offensive line will lead to more consistency on offense.

13) Locker room issues happening behind the scenes, which ultimately falls on Brohm. Now, the jury is still out on Lambert as a DC, but it's clear he has a low ego and creates a positive atmosphere for developing and mentoring young adults for learning the game of football. Lambert is well liked by all the players he coaches and has a high emotional IQ to deal with the intensity of Brohm. Do not underestimate the importance of Lambert's soft skills during the transfer era.

14) RB depth, health, and talent mix have been an ongoing issue. Doerue had a hamstring injury to start last year. Murphy made some poor decisions on the first game day. Hewitt was a miss. Evan Anderson is no longer with the team. However, the offseason moves give Purdue Horvath, Doerue, Downing, and Cross at 3 scholarships vs. Horvath, Doerue, Hewitt, and Murphy at 4 scholarships last year. Maintaining depth and freeing up another scholarship was a small but nice win this offseason, especially in trying to improve talent at multiple positions.
#3 - Don’t think Miller is a “ miss”. Redshirted first year, started some games and in the 2 deeps for the last two years and will again this year. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he starts this year

#3 - Don’t think Miller is a “ miss”. Redshirted first year, started some games and in the 2 deeps for the last two years and will again this year. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he starts this year
In addition, the line issues in 2019 and 2020 are about shit recruiting at the end of the Hazell era. Expecting freshmen and sophomores to solidify the lines is nuts, especially at Purdue. There should have been decent upperclassmen in those years and Herrmanns was the only one worth a damn.

Yes, he had a knee injury during his SR season in HS, I believe. Missed most, if not all, of that season. He never seemed to overcome that injury completely.
Sure he did. 100% fine. Trust me. He left for a lot of reasons but that injury wasnt one of them.

Wrong. We have Lawrence Johnson, a 5th year SR returning starter whose name escapes me, Austin, Lewis (transfer from IN), Branson Deen, Kpaka….

Plus, Joseph Anderson (transfer from South Carolina) might be able to slide inside some if needed.

We are not close to being “quite thin” at DT.
Anthony Watts

Marshall's graphics team must be subpar. Isn't that still him in his Purdue jersey?

So let me get this straight as far as where we are as a program. Faucheux comes here to play DT .. If he wanted to play OL he would have gone to penn state

brohm “we need to move to OL”
SF “no way, not doing it.”
Brohm “if you won’t move it might be time to ship out.0
SF “super not interested in OL so I guess I’m out.”
Marshall “wanna play OL”
SF “absolutely where do I sign.”

Am I wrong?

If he was a low 3 star and left would you care?

rivals over ranked him. Brohm shouldn’t have recruited him.
I care more in the sense of the totality of our player personnel operation has not been good. Faucheux has been just a small part of that.

i.e. someone in New York knew something about that dude with the doje just like someone in Pennsylvania probably knew something about kacinko.

I care more in the sense of the totality of our player personnel operation has not been good. Faucheux has been just a small part of that.

i.e. someone in New York knew something about that dude with the doje just like someone in Pennsylvania probably knew something about kacinko.
Murphy the New York dude? What New York program has an opinion worth caring about

re: kacinko - o linemen and dt recruiting is largely a crapshoot. Anyone can recruit the elite players. Once you get past the tip 5-10, it’s a crap shoot. They don’t have the camps other positions do and you don’t know how about the fat bodies will develop.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020

like Kacinko I'm from Pa. , he was a fairly high ranked OL, what was his story?

So let me get this straight as far as where we are as a program. Faucheux comes here to play DT .. If he wanted to play OL he would have gone to penn state

brohm “we need to move to OL”
SF “no way, not doing it.”
Brohm “if you won’t move it might be time to ship out.0
SF “super not interested in OL so I guess I’m out.”
Marshall “wanna play OL”
SF “absolutely where do I sign.”

Am I wrong?
where the hell was that reported?

Some of that is made up, which the poster does. Some of it is from the premie board which is invaluable.
looks like it's all made up.

He came here because he wanted to play DT. Okay.

Now, he's (allegedly) told to play OL. He's so mad, he's not going to Penn State to play OL, he's going to Marshall to play OL. So, instead of playing OL at Purdue, he's going to Marshall to play OL.

Yeah... that's believable.

Some of the sh*t people post here is just dumb.

Reactions: Bobtheboiler88
looks like it's all made up.

He came here because he wanted to play DT. He (allegedly) was told to play OL. He was so mad, he's not going to Penn State to play OL, he's going to Marshall.

Yeah... that's believable.

Some of the sh*t people post here is just dumb.
You misunderstood

he was recruited out of high school by teams like penn state to play ol. We recruited him to play dt. He was ranked based on his ability as an ol. None of that is made up

You misunderstood

he was recruited out of high school by teams like penn state to play ol. We recruited him to play dt. He was ranked based on his ability as an ol. None of that is made up
No. Respectfully, I didn't misunderstand.

I understand the recruiting ratings.

The entire narrative being advanced by the prior poster was made up. (Go back and re-read, and I think you'll get my point.)

No. Respectfully, I didn't misunderstand.

I understand the recruiting ratings.

The entire narrative being advanced by the prior poster was made up. (Go back and re-read, and I think you'll get my point.)
I’m accustomed to his posts. That’s normal for him. Your post I responded to misrepresented what went on

I’m accustomed to his posts. That’s normal for him. Your post I responded to misrepresented what went on
No, I didn't represent anything that could be "misrepresented". I simply held up a mirror to examine what was being suggested, noting that it really doesn't make sense.

Not sure why you're not following my point, but that's the extent of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT