ADVERTISEMENT

Starting 5…

seminolesboilers

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 8, 2011
Purdue needs 4 offensive threats around Edey. Smith, Loyer, Newman, Gillis/Furst and Edey.
Teams will surround Edey leaving at least one player open…Morton is NOT an offensive threat. If open…he will not shoot and his FG% is not very good if he does shoot. Painter needs to realize what teams will try to do to stop Edey…because one-on-one teams can not stop Edey. Painter needs to adjust to what teams are trying to do against Edey…Purdue’s star player.

Purdue needs 4 offensive threats around Edey. Smith, Loyer, Newman, Gillis/Furst and Edey.
Teams will surround Edey leaving at least one player open…Morton is NOT an offensive threat. If open…he will not shoot and his FG% is not very good if he does shoot. Painter needs to realize what teams will try to do to stop Edey…because one-on-one teams can not stop Edey. Painter needs to adjust to what teams are trying to do against Edey…Purdue’s star player

Im pretty sure Morton was out when Mulchahey took the game over on those 3 possessions at the end to push a 1 point Purdue lead to a 5 point Rutgers lead around 5 mins. That is where Purdue lost the game IMO. He'll be remembered for biting on the shot fake on Spencers 3, but his value as a guy who can body up guys like Mulchahey on D is something this team misses and good teams take advantage of when he is out.

If Jenkins, Loyer, Gillis, Furst start hitting more outside shots Morton not scoring won't be an issue. Thank goodness Newman seems to have turned a corner. I'm not giving up on Morton hitting the open 3 like he did 44% of the time last year either.

Im pretty sure Morton was out when Mulchahey took the game over on those 3 possessions at the end to push a 1 point Purdue lead to a 5 point Rutgers lead around 5 mins. That is where Purdue lost the game IMO. He'll be remembered for biting on the shot fake on Spencers 3, but his value as a guy who can body up guys like Mulchahey on D is something this team misses and good teams take advantage of when he is out.

If Jenkins, Loyer, Gillis, Furst start hitting more outside shots Morton not scoring won't be an issue. Thank goodness Newman seems to have turned a corner. I'm not giving up on Morton hitting the open 3 like he did 44% of the time last year either.

Yes - it was DJ Jr and Brandon Newman in that stretch, and Painter also talked about a couple of times they were supposed to stay under and ended up behind.....giving up the put-back. Not quite connected yet.

Tough game for Braden Smith in the second half - he'll bounce back. Disappointing for sure, and the media will likely say shocking upset, but Rutgers is no joke either. Probably the most disappointing thing for them and hopefully they learn is coming out not quite ready.....

I'm just an alum - they're stuck with me, but I do really like this team and players.....and I still like what Painter is building. I'm a dinosaur, though......I know......maybe more patient than others less than some.

Last edited:
Teams will surround Edey leaving at least one player open…Morton is NOT an offensive threat. If open…he will not shoot and his FG% is not very good if he does shoot. Painter needs to realize what teams will try to do to stop Edey…because one-on-one teams can not stop Edey. Painter needs to adjust to what teams are trying to do against Edey…Purdue’s star player.

I am not a fan of Morton because of his shooting, which I admit is Frustrating!!
But he is there on offense to get it to Edey. If you don't see his value on offense without scoring, your missing the game.....which his overall game I am a big fan. Not to mention he is a flat out tremendous defender....just great in team defense. I think CMP is balancing he & Newman just fine.... Although, wouldn't bother me one bit to get Newman more minutes. Would like a few 10-16 footers from Morton instead of the 3s.

Last edited:
The problem with Morton is that he is so limited on offense. He has 15 baskets in 14 games and is shooting 30.6% from the field.

Guys like Kramer, Davis, and Eastern could at least score a little. People forget Eastern scored 7.5 points per game and shot 50% from the field his sophomore year. I'd argue all these guys were better defenders than Morton.

I'm not arguing he shouldn't start or play significant minutes because we really only have 4 guards that are giving us anything, but we're gong to need a little more from him offensively.

Have @ it; interested in your take.
Kramer 4 time All B1G Defensive Team, 2 time Defensive Player of the year.
Davis 2 time All B1G Defensive Team, 1 time Defensive Player of the year.
Eastern 2 time All B1G Defensive Team (only played 3 years)
Morton...... Nothing yet

You can add Mathias as well. 2 time All B1G Defensive Team.

I guess my point is that you can play good defense and still be a contributor on offense. The 2 aren't mutually exclusive. I applaud Morton's defense and hustle but he's got to be at least a Grady/Gillis type threat on offense if we want to be a final four type team.

Kramer 4 time All B1G Defensive Team, 2 time Defensive Player of the year.
Davis 2 time All B1G Defensive Team, 1 time Defensive Player of the year.
Eastern 2 time All B1G Defensive Team (only played 3 years)
Morton...... Nothing yet

Oh badly missunderstood.

Thought you were arguing that current team members were better defenders than M.

Brain fog, been up all night.

Last edited:
I’ve never thought you need 4 players to be offensive stars to complement Edey. What you need is 1-3 players to step up more. Look at Stockton and Malone. Did they have 3 other offensive weapons on their team? Look at MJ and Pippin. They didn’t need more offensive weapons. Look at Big Dog.

Rather than having 4 perimeter shooters and Edey, what I believe you need is more players setting screens and having Loyer or Newman taking more shots and Gillis taking fewer shots. I’d love to see Loyer raise his scoring average than worry about Gillis , Morton, Newman and Furst taking outside shots! Let smith and Edey do the pick and roll and let Loyer shoot his threes and the other two players worry about defense and be roll players on offense!

ADVERTISEMENT