ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium Experience

NVboiler

Sophomore
Jul 6, 2018
Not being able to attend the games or watch them on TV, I was wondering what people think of the new railroad track borders of the field, and how loud is the locomotive whistle? Just curious and a change from the bickering on other threads.

Not being able to attend the games or watch them on TV, I was wondering what people think of the new railroad track borders of the field, and how loud is the locomotive whistle? Just curious and a change from the bickering on other threads.
Tracks were first game only. Guessing we’ll see them more as an enhancement for big time games.

Train whistle is good...much better than years past.

Still need the howitzer back for scores and it’s doable with the band being back in the stands and the concrete area where the band used to sit.

Tracks were first game only. Guessing we’ll see them more as an enhancement for big time games.

Still need the howitzer back for scores and it’s doable with the band being back in the stands and the concrete area where the band used to sit.

I know part of the reason they moved the band from where they currently are to the end zone was that you couldn't hear them in 2/3 of the stadium positioned that way. I didn't necessarily care for them all spread around the entire end zone where they ran around and were a bit unorganized, but have they mic'ed them up or anything to where the stadium can hear them play?

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I know part of the reason they moved the band from where they currently are to the end zone was that you couldn't hear them in 2/3 of the stadium positioned that way. I didn't necessarily care for them all spread around the entire end zone where they ran around and were a bit unorganized, but have they mic'ed them up or anything to where the stadium can hear them play?
They have mic'd them up a bit. The big improvement was, just as you mentioned, moving them to an area where the sound was able to bounce around the stadium rather than escaping through the south end zone.

I'll say though, it is much easier to play a sousaphone where we used to be rather than where the band is now. Has to be a pain carrying that thing up and down the stands, lol.

Took the family Saturday night - great fun. Tailgated in Lot F so we got to see the football team as they warmed up in the indoor practice facility; saw the basketball team too as they were hanging around that area; saw Malik Hall too; seats were on the east side right on the 50 yard line. Incredibly entertaining game and environment. Would highly recommend for anyone who hasn't been to a game in a few years. Great bang for your buck!

Took the family Saturday night - great fun. Tailgated in Lot F so we got to see the football team as they warmed up in the indoor practice facility; saw the basketball team too as they were hanging around that area; saw Malik Hall too; seats were on the east side right on the 50 yard line. Incredibly entertaining game and environment. Would highly recommend for anyone who hasn't been to a game in a few years. Great bang for your buck!
Especially if you have kiddos, the family area has been improved a lot. Wish they would open up Mollenkauf for some other things if weather permitting (don't want the team warming up outside when it's freezing or wet).

I clearly heard the band on the press box side. I didn’t notice they were being piped through the PA but beer was involved.

I caught the season opener and we tailgated Lot D. It was a lot of fun. I will be shopping online for another tailgate pass for the Wisky game. I loved the night game under the lights. Fantastic atmosphere!

Agree, bring back the Howitzer and show off our ROTC crew while blasting some caps on Scores!

Have to give props to the Athletic department.

Ross Ade is Ross Ade, only so much you can do but:

1. Lighting - will put the lighting upgrade quality on par with any other stadium. Clean, useful, quality.

2. Field Turf - for northern schools, I don't think you are going to find a better turf field in terms of quality for players, durability, and look for fans.

3. Thought the school did great job with the veteran event last weekend, and I want to say
our student athletes/players appeared to all be incredibly respectful and positive.

During the run onto the field, one player who I watched that deserves credit is #25 TARIO FULLER.
He had fun & respect with the pregame festivities, saluting just about every serviceman on his way to the field. This kid has it together - proud to call him a fellow Boilermaker.

Was thoroughly impressed. I took a football trip with some friends and we went to south bend to watch notre dame vs vandy. Stayed for the first half then drove to WL and got there right after kickoff. Ill say this. I was incredibly unimpressed with Notre Dame and was blown away by Purdue. The atmosphere at the ND game was next to dead. Even at the loudest moments I could talk to my friends and not have to raise my voice. The Purdue game was significantly louder and way more energized. I had probably 6 boiler golds and wished I could have had more. My favorite part of the night was the touchdown reception review. The PA played "let it be" and everyone was swaying and singing along and had their cell phones lights on. We were laughing pretty good. Worst part of the night was sitting near the Missouri fans. I would definitely go back to WL and watch a game. Next time the huskers are there I will most definitely be there as well.

Last edited:
Was thoroughly impressed. I took a football trip with some friends and we went to south bend to watch notre dame vs vandy. Stayed for the first half then drove to WL and got there right after kickoff. Ill say this. I was incredibly unimpressed with Notre Dame and was blown away by Purdue. The atmosphere at the ND game was next to dead. Even at the loudest moments I could talk to my friends and not have to raise my voice. The Purdue game was significantly louder and way more energized. I had probably 6 boiler golds and wished I could have had more. My favorite part of the night was the touchdown reception review. The PA played "let it be" and everyone was swaying and singing along and had their cell phones lights on. We were laughing pretty good. Worst part of the night was sitting near the Missouri fans. I would definitely go back to WL and watch a game. Next time the huskers are there I will most definitely be there as well.

Thanks for the outside perspective. I have been to ND's stadium for a game and thought it was boring. No jumbo tron, no getting the fans pumped, very quiet crowd. I thought the Big House was pretty quiet too.

I like what Purdue is doing. They are doing everything they can to put Purdue fans in the seats. I am good for 3-4 games a year and the night games have been (no pun intended) night and day from the traditional noon starts, so much energy. Even the day games have been more exciting. All our games have been close the past 2 years at home so it has been fun.

ADVERTISEMENT