ADVERTISEMENT

Sr vs Jr All Star Game

Hearing Newman was warming up in a Purdue shirt. Would love to get a second commitment for the 19 class.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I hadn't heard that, but I hope so! I still think we should take both Newman and Franklin. They both played well today.
Part of me disagrees but part of me agrees. I feel like if we are going to morph into postionless play that it will work.

Reactions: BoilerIron
That wouldn't be a bad class at all.

I personally would like Hall/Gillis/Newman
It wouldn't be bad, but it would be on par with what we have been seeing in recent years. No real game changers there.

I'd love to get hall, it just doesn't seem realistic.

I'd love to get hall, it just doesn't seem realistic.
I think we have a decent shot (50%) because the fact he has so many offers that it might play out as Purdue being one of the few places that has room for him as a starter.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Just a question: TJD made the U-18 national team as I understand it but Brooks did not. However, Brooks did not play in the All-Star game as a Junior. Does anyone know why this was the case?

Just a question: TJD made the U-18 national team as I understand it but Brooks did not. However, Brooks did not play in the All-Star game as a Junior. Does anyone know why this was the case?
According to his dad he was traveling back from the tryouts in Colorado and the timing didn't work out for him to play last night.

Brooks announced via Twitter that he would not make the game because he was "stuck in Colorado Springs". Maybe a delayed flight? Not sure what happened.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Wow watch the video on Newman on front page......he gave Hunter all he could handle.....we need Newman to replace Eastern/Boogie when they go pro next year. Then have Thompson, Hunter and Newman as our PG/SG.

Wow watch the video on Newman on front page......he gave Hunter all he could handle.....we need Newman to replace Eastern/Boogie when they go pro next year. Then have Thompson, Hunter and Newman as our

I don't think C. Edwards or Eastern will be going pro after the upcoming season. CE projects as a four-year player and Eastern will need at least another year of seasoning before being NBA ready.

I don't see it. I think he tests the waters but returns for his senior season. There's not many 6'0 guards in the NBA. I don't think he's an exception to that rule but I will glad to be proven wrong, if in fact, I am.

Reactions: rjmpu82
I don't see it. I think he tests the waters but returns for his senior season. There's not many 6'0 guards in the NBA. I don't think he's an exception to that rule but I will glad to be proven wrong, if in fact, I am.
Yes but for that reason he has to leave when the picking is ripe. Unless the class his senior year is just really awful in terms of guards, then he likely leaves as a junior.

I don't think his potential or value as an NBA player changes by leaving a year early. He might as well play all four years and try to get his degree.

Reactions: northside100
that's a tough dilemma. We've all seen the data about the NBA not drafting short guards. Carsen came back for at least one more year. Will the NBA change it's philosophy against short guards? If not, what would he have to gain by staying at Purdue through his senior year other than a degree? his NBA draft stock is basically determined by his height, and not his performance. Staying an extra year, he runs the risk of NBA scouts saying they've seen him already and he's not showing anything new and his stock could drop.

Look at our 4 graduating seniors. They had a tremendous senior year. Did any player's NBA stock actually rise by remaining at Purdue? Just curious, how many of the four completed their degree?

that's a tough dilemma. We've all seen the data about the NBA not drafting short guards. Carsen came back for at least one more year. Will the NBA change it's philosophy against short guards? If not, what would he have to gain by staying at Purdue through his senior year other than a degree? his NBA draft stock is basically determined by his height, and not his performance. Staying an extra year, he runs the risk of NBA scouts saying they've seen him already and he's not showing anything new and his stock could drop.

Look at our 4 graduating seniors. They had a tremendous senior year. Did any player's NBA stock actually rise by remaining at Purdue? Just curious, how many of the four completed their degree?
All five.

I just watched Brooks last night, playing my son's varsity team (he's on JV). A couple of observations...
He looked like a man among boys out there. He had really good "hops" and could run, shoot, sky, and dunk hard.
My one concern was that he either didn't have the ability or he just didn't, take over the game, completely dominate weaker opponents, and win going away. I thought his team should have destroyed my son's team, and Brooks looked like he could've gone for 60 himself, but it was 26-20 about midway through the 2nd half (then we left to go to my son's game on another court)...

I have three questions as a result of this game. how is Isiah doing recovering from his injury? I have to believe if healthy, he would have played.

Who was guarding Langford? I won't say he did a bad job, because Langford missed more shots than he made. But he also got a lot of foul calls. I'm just curious who the coach had confidence in to guard him.

Did they play zone? my initial thought was that with an all star game and not much time to prep, the y would play a zone defense because it's easier to learn and play .

This makes me believe a lot of colleges that play a lot of one and dones use a zone so they don't have to actually teach fundamental defense.

Reactions: nagemj02
I have three questions as a result of this game. how is Isiah doing recovering from his injury? I have to believe if healthy, he would have played.

Who was guarding Langford? I won't say he did a bad job, because Langford missed more shots than he made. But he also got a lot of foul calls. I'm just curious who the coach had confidence in to guard him.

Did they play zone? my initial thought was that with an all star game and not much time to prep, the y would play a zone defense because it's easier to learn and play .

This makes me believe a lot of colleges that play a lot of one and dones use a zone so they don't have to actually teach fundamental defense.
Newman and Franklin guarded Langford most of the time.

Reactions: SKYDOG
It was only one game and an all star game at that, but the fact that it was the perfect storm for IU fans to salivate isn’t lost in me. Playing Kentucky, best against best, three recruits playing together to a home crowd...probably not the time to lay an egg, yet that’s exactly what happened.

Of course had they all three played great games, I wouldn’t expect the IU fans to gloat or anything.

Degree aside, he'd have two reasons to stay, assuming the his draft status would remain roughly the same either way.

One, he enjoys his time in college and wants to win another championship and get to a Final Four. If Carsen and Nojel stay another year that team would expect to return everyone except Clive and Grady and could make some real noise.

Two, he believes that he can continue to improve and buys into Painter's tennet that the goal is not just to get to the NBA but to stay in the NBA. If you're fighting for a roster spot you need every advantage you can get and that extra year of experience and development could supply that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT