ADVERTISEMENT

Sr All-Stars lose to Kentucky

Holy crap!! this has turned into a IU board. How many IU fans does it take to be on one Purdue board before it becomes an IU board? I have literally counted I believe at least 3-4 just on this thread.
Go over to the football board. It's been overrun by NW idiots.

Reactions: Poprudy
Baseball, his stats throughout his HS career are not great from 3 pt land. There have been IU recruits that were recognized coming in the door as great shooters in HS (Blackmon.) RL is not Blackmon.

Baseball, his stats throughout his HS career are not great from 3 pt land. There have been IU recruits that were recognized coming in the door as great shooters in HS (Blackmon.) RL is not Blackmon.
What percentage do you think he is going to shoot? I think he will shoot around 35%. I didnt say he is a great shooter. I said he isnt a bad shooter.

He shot 35% over his HS career from 3 pt land. Blackmon was 48% iirc. Blackmon shot 41% for his college career. Based upon the better athleticism of the defenders at the higher level, I place RL in the 28-30% range.

Note: my comment was not based upon two All-Star games despite the claim made earlier that was obviously incorrect.

He shot 35% over his HS career from 3 pt land. Blackmon was 48% iirc. Blackmon shot 41% for his college career. Based upon the better athleticism of the defenders at the higher level, I place RL in the 28-30% range.

Note: my comment was not based upon two All-Star games despite the claim made earlier that was obviously incorrect.
35% while being double and triple teamed? Not bad. He will get way more set shots next year than he ever did in high school. Regardless, none of our predictions have any weight at this point, so there really is no point in arguing about them. I'm pumped for this coming season as I'm sure you are for Purdue.

What percentage do you think he is going to shoot? I think he will shoot around 35%. I didnt say he is a great shooter. I said he isnt a bad shooter.
The question that sits at the top is, "Will Langford make IU a better basketball team on his way to the NBA?" I really don't like one and done's as players who will help the program and improve the team by being a team player.

giphy.gif

Reactions: BCBtrio
Baseball, are you suggesting that only RL was double/triple teamed during HS? As a 5-star don't you think it likely the same was true of Blackmon? But his percentage was much higher. I was trying to factor an apples to apples comparison into my estimate based upon history. Obviously, time will tell as to which of us is closer to the real data.

Well, it matters on how you guard him. As a low 3 pt shooter, you can lay off him on defense a bit, that makes it harder for him to get by you on the first step on a drive to the basket. That likely lowers his 2 pt percentage as well. It does matter quite a bit. I am amazed at your question as it is a fairly obvious point.

Well, it matters on how you guard him. As a low 3 pt shooter, you can lay off him on defense a bit, that makes it harder for him to get by you on the first step on a drive to the basket. That likely lowers his 2 pt percentage as well. It does matter quite a bit. I am amazed at your question as it is a fairly obvious point.
Are you drawing up the gameplans for Purdue this year? No, you can't sag off him no matter what the percentages say. He is very capable of rattling off 5 threes in a row he is also capable of missing 10 threes in a row.

His percentage will be similar to Carsen's freshman year. Would you have layed off him?

Assuming romeo takes 200 threes, if he hits 35% that's 70 threes. If he hits 30% that's 60 threes. You are arguing about 10 made threes over the course of the season. That's less than 1 point per game.

Said this before and I'll say it again: Landford will be playing this year for draft position, nothing else. He could care less how iu does, as long at he can fill the stat sheet and put himself in lottery draft potential. In order to get the commitment, Lil Archie basically promised him the offense will run through him and he has the green light the second he crosses mid court. He might put up some big numbers, but it'll cost iu as a team. I see a Lavar Ball-like performance.
The slack jawed redneck iu fans will have a tough time reconciling that.
Sorry, but I can’t let this go. Romeo has said he wants to be the hardest worker during summer. He also likes defense. He thinks IU can win a championship, because of all the players returning (not himself)

He’s a team guy, and that will be the reason teams in the NBA want him.

Carsen attempted only 4 3-pt. shots per game as a freshman and made only 1.4 per game. His second year his shots went up over 50% and his average doubled. So yes, I defend freshman Carsen differently than sophomore Carsen.

Reactions: BCBtrio
Here the IU brethren go again...I would never teach a kid to play RL tight. Percentage plays a huge part in defense. So you would play tight on RL? Knowing his drive and FT is where the majority of his points come from. Also Edwards played 2 years in the B1G this isn't high school anymore. The talent level just went up! Ask most 5*'s they usually don't avg. near what they did in high school.

Carsen attempted only 4 3-pt. shots per game as a freshman and made only 1.4 per game. His second year his shots went up over 50% and his average doubled. So yes, I defend freshman Carsen differently than sophomore Carsen.
You still aren't going to sag off of Freshman Carsen. If you have a game plan that allows a player of Romeo's caliber to come down the court and get an open three every possession, it's a shitty game plan. Not to mention sagging off allows the player to go North/South immediately which only helps them get to the basket. I'm glad you guys aren't drawing up our game plans.

CMP's game plan for Romeo will be Nojel giving him no space forcing the ball out of his hands whenever possible. Nojel will be tasked with making him as uncomfortable as possible. I believe Nojel is up to the task.

*The "reply" button is your friend.*

Here the IU brethren go again...I would never teach a kid to play RL tight. Percentage plays a huge part in defense. So you would play tight on RL? Knowing his drive and FT is where the majority of his points come from. Also Edwards played 2 years in the B1G this isn't high school anymore. The talent level just went up! Ask most 5*'s they usually don't avg. near what they did in high school.
I would play Romeo tight knowing that I have help side D. Playing him tight takes away the 3 pt shot. You have to trust the help side defender not to foul and take away the rim. This forces a kick out to a lesser player.

This is simple basketball guys, come on. Let's not forget we have one of the best shot blockers in the country with Haarms.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I would play Romeo tight knowing that I have help side D. Playing him tight takes away the 3 pt shot. You have to trust the help side defender not to foul and take away the rim. This forces a kick out to a lesser player.

This is simple basketball guys, come on. Let's not forget we have one of the best shot blockers in the country with Haarms.
I believe you forgot they have JM...so no you don't play RL tight.

I believe you forgot they have JM...so no you don't play RL tight.
I didn't forget. I would much rather Morgan shooting a 3 than Romeo. Regardless, Purdue will not sag off of a very capable 3 pt shooter. It would be beyond dumb. Next question.

Iron, according to you everybody is dumb but you. Percentages don't matter.

I guess that you forgot the times late last season where Haas/Haarms rotated over to cover the driving player and that guy dished off to someone cutting to the basket for a lay-up because the other defenders didn't rotate over in time. You must have missed seeing those games because it happened a lot in the latter parts of last season.

But you know better. LOL

Iron, according to you everybody is dumb but you. Percentages don't matter.

I guess that you forgot the times late last season where Haas/Haarms rotated over to cover the driving player and that guy dished off to someone cutting to the basket for a lay-up because the other defenders didn't rotate over in time. You must have missed seeing those games because it happened a lot in the latter parts of last season.

But you know better. LOL
No, the two people suggesting we sag off the other team's best player, who is a very capable shooter, are dumb. Percentages do matter, and from what we know, he is a 36% career 3pt shooter. We will not be sagging off of him.

Id
Arc, I suspect you will be a bit disappointed next season. RL isn't an unknown. He will perform like all top-5 players do. He may not average 20/gm but he won't have trouble scoring next year.

I think Purdue has a lot more question marks at this point. Can eastern provide any offense? Can haarms provide any offense? Can Edwards carry the team by himself? How much impact will Boudreaux have? I don't think any of the freshman you have coming in will make much of an impact for another year at least. Hunter will be good, but he's too thin to bang around the B1G next year. If they do, that may mean others aren't panning out as hoped. That puts a lot of pressure on Edwards and some other unproven guys to step up. Not saying they can't or won't..

I suspect that Romeo.will be very good, particularly on offense, but I'm not sure I understand your statement about Purdue having more question marks going into the season than IU. I'm sure you watched IU much more than I did last year, but I see them going into the year with Romeo, Morgan and a bunch of other guys who are servicable at best. I guess you could say that you know what you're getting with those guys, but is that a positive thing?

Carsen will be a signficantly better player (not a better prospect) than either Romeo or Morgan, but I agree that he needs a second player (likely Eastern, Haarms or Boudreaux as you stated) to step up and be his #2 in order for this Purdue team to make real noise in the conference and tournament this year. The good news is that out of the relatively 'known' commodities outside of Carsen, all three have more upside than anyone on IU's team outside of Romeo and Morgan and Eastern and Harrms likely have more upside than Morgan.

Should be interesting in any case. I expect IU to have a solid season, top four in the conference and an NCAA bid. If Carsen doesn't have a solid #2 step up I think Purdue is a borderline NCAA team, but I expect at least one and likely two players will and Purdue finishes in the top three in the conference.

I didn't forget. I would much rather Morgan shooting a 3 than Romeo. Regardless, Purdue will not sag off of a very capable 3 pt shooter. It would be beyond dumb. Next question.
I don't think you get RL gets the majority of his points from the drive and FT's. It really isn't hard Nojel has the length to collapse on the shot but also decent quickness to stay in front of RL if he gives a little room. If we play tight our guards will be in foul trouble in the first half.

This is when you tell me how great IU and RL will be and your other IU buddies will like your comments.

I don't think you get RL gets the majority of his points from the drive and FT's. It really isn't hard Nojel has the length to collapse on the shot but also decent quickness to stay in front of RL if he gives a little room. If we play tight our guards will be in foul trouble in the first half.
I don't think you have seen romeo play. Yes, the majority of his points come from 2 pt shots and free throws, but who's doesn't? Should people sag off of Carsen, because the majority of his points come from those two categories? In the course of his high school career, Romeo scored 52% of his points from 2 pt shots. 26% came from 3pt shots. 22% came from the free throw line.

That's a very normal spread for someone who can score at all three levels. He is a very capable 3pt shooter.

Reactions: PebbleUO2
This is when you tell me how great IU and RL will be and your other IU buddies will like your comments.
This is when I thank you for you contributions to this post. This was a very insightful comment. Thanks for your time.

I don't think you have seen romeo play. Yes, the majority of his points come from 2 pt shots and free throws, but who's doesn't? Should people sag off of Carsen, because the majority of his points come from those two categories? In the course of his high school career, Romeo scored 52% of his points from 2 pt shots. 26% came from 3pt shots. 22% came from the free throw line.

That's a very normal spread for someone who can score at all three levels. He is a very capable 3pt shooter.
I know the 'guilt by association' label is forthcoming, but I'll say it anyway: Iron is not wrong on this. Nobody is saying Romeo is Rick Mount 20' away from the basket (not even the over-the-top IU people I know), but he's a very capable jump shooter, including out to the 3-pt line at the NCAA level. He's not the best player at any one single thing, but he's incredibly talented and can score it from everywhere on the floor. And he actually defends and rebounds rather well for a player of his offensive prowess. And while it's highly likely only to be 1 year, for that 1 year, he's going to make their team a fair amount better than the season before, all else equal. The comments in this thread by some here suggesting he's a bum of a basketball player and won't make a difference to them are just ignorant.

Id

I suspect that Romeo.will be very good, particularly on offense, but I'm not sure I understand your statement about Purdue having more question marks going into the season than IU. I'm sure you watched IU much more than I did last year, but I see them going into the year with Romeo, Morgan and a bunch of other guys who are servicable at best. I guess you could say that you know what you're getting with those guys, but is that a positive thing?

Carsen will be a signficantly better player (not a better prospect) than either Romeo or Morgan, but I agree that he needs a second player (likely Eastern, Haarms or Boudreaux as you stated) to step up and be his #2 in order for this Purdue team to make real noise in the conference and tournament this year. The good news is that out of the relatively 'known' commodities outside of Carsen, all three have more upside than anyone on IU's team outside of Romeo and Morgan and Eastern and Harrms likely have more upside than Morgan.

Should be interesting in any case. I expect IU to have a solid season, top four in the conference and an NCAA bid. If Carsen doesn't have a solid #2 step up I think Purdue is a borderline NCAA team, but I expect at least one and likely two players will and Purdue finishes in the top three in the conference.
IU fans can only parrot what they hear elsewhere. We lost four starters so we shall immediately fall of the face of the map while their new guys will inevitably be better than anyone on our team.
Reality is that even worst case scenario, we have more experience by a long shot than IU and can play a starting five who all have D1 experience. Eastern, Edwards, Cline, Eiffert, Haarms is a squad that had seen a B1G season up close. Switch beaurduex for Grady if you like or Wheeler who has time in the program, and we return 7 guys who can play the game and have on this level.
Say what you want about OAD’s in this league but, year after year we see the experienced players step up and lead the way. Izzo had his most talented team ever last season and I assure you they feel like they underachieved.

It will be interesting to see what Miller can do now that the excuses are gone. I look forward to it.

IU fans can only parrot what they hear elsewhere. We lost four starters so we shall immediately fall of the face of the map while their new guys will inevitably be better than anyone on our team.
Reality is that even worst case scenario, we have more experience by a long shot than IU and can play a starting five who all have D1 experience. Eastern, Edwards, Cline, Eiffert, Haarms is a squad that had seen a B1G season up close. Switch beaurduex for Grady if you like or Wheeler who has time in the program, and we return 7 guys who can play the game and have on this level.
Say what you want about OAD’s in this league but, year after year we see the experienced players step up and lead the way. Izzo had his most talented team ever last season and I assure you they feel like they underachieved.

It will be interesting to see what Miller can do now that the excuses are gone. I look forward to it.
How does Purdue have more experience? You literally have 4 scholarship players that have ever played in a Big Ten game. I'll give you five though with Eifert.

So using your model of only playing players with Big Ten experience IU starts:

Green
Durham
Smith
Morgan
Davis

We also have:

McRoberts
Moore

So please explain how Purdue has more experience?

I know the 'guilt by association' label is forthcoming, but I'll say it anyway: Iron is not wrong on this. Nobody is saying Romeo is Rick Mount 20' away from the basket (not even the over-the-top IU people I know), but he's a very capable jump shooter, including out to the 3-pt line at the NCAA level. He's not the best player at any one single thing, but he's incredibly talented and can score it from everywhere on the floor. And he actually defends and rebounds rather well for a player of his offensive prowess. And while it's highly likely only to be 1 year, for that 1 year, he's going to make their team a fair amount better than the season before, all else equal. The comments in this thread by some here suggesting he's a bum of a basketball player and won't make a difference to them are just ignorant.
I don't believe anyone thinks RL is a bum and he should be a capable shooter he's a great scorer. This discussion is more how to cut your losses because he will get his points regardless. I personally would rather keep my guards in the game and sag off and take my chances him missing. If he drives we lose guards to defend and he puts IU in the bonus.

How does Purdue have more experience? You literally have 4 scholarship players that have ever played in a Big Ten game. I'll give you five though with Eifert.

So using your model of only playing players with Big Ten experience IU starts:

Green
Durham
Smith
Morgan
Davis

We also have:

McRoberts
Moore

So please explain how Purdue has more experience?
Davis won’t play so you will need to plug someone into the post spot.
McRoberts...okay that’s a good one.
Green will likely start at point, the rest of the league approves of this.
Smith is good.

Yeah, I am not seeing it. All five of Purdue’s players played all season in every game on a national contender. IU players played on the team that lost every game they played against NCAA tourney teams. Are you saying they are equally qualified?

Davis won’t play so you will need to plug someone into the post spot.
McRoberts...okay that’s a good one.
Green will likely start at point, the rest of the league approves of this.
Smith is good.

Yeah, I am not seeing it. All five of Purdue’s players played all season in every game on a national contender. IU players played on the team that lost every game they played against NCAA tourney teams. Are you saying they are equally qualified?
How is Davis not going to play?

Not to get into a debate about meaningless players, but Mcroberts > Eifert and it isn't close.

IU and Purdue played a similar schedule, so they were playing against the same type of talent. The same amount of experience was gained (except tourney experience, so I'll give you that).

Regardless, IU returns more production (experience) while also bringing in players that project to have more impact than what Purdue has coming in.

ADVERTISEMENT