ADVERTISEMENT

Sr All-Stars lose to Kentucky

Roeder

Junior
Jun 21, 2007
Here is the box score. Looks like Hunter did well in limited minutes. I'm surprised the Sr's lost to Kentucky team with no Power 5 players.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Romeo Langford, Rob Phinisee, and Damezi Anderson combined to go 12/33 from the field and 1/11 from 3.

A team full of mid major and community college recruits just beat that trio by playing a zone all game because none of them can shoot and the coach forced all the minutes to them because of a crowd filled with IU fans.

Eric Hunter was 4/6 and 2/3 from 3 in limited action.

Romeo Langford, Rob Phinisee, and Damezi Anderson combined to go 12/33 from the field and 1/11 from 3.

A team full of mid major and community college recruits just beat that trio by playing a zone all game because none of them can shoot and the coach forced all the minutes to them because of a crowd filled with IU fans.

Looks like the one kid who can shoot consistently was kept on the bench for much of the game. Brilliant coaching.

I noticed Romeo in the two games, sure likes to take a lot of shots. His efficiency isn't the best. He does get a lot of FTs as part of his game. Phinisee sure got a lot of minutes. He played 30+ minutes and had 0 assists? I thought he was a traditional pg who liked to dish the ball off rather than score. I guess playing with Romeo, once he gets the ball, he doesn't give it back until it bounces off the rim.

I noticed Romeo in the two games, sure likes to take a lot of shots. His efficiency isn't the best. He does get a lot of FTs as part of his game. Phinisee sure got a lot of minutes. He played 30+ minutes and had 0 assists? I thought he was a traditional pg who liked to dish the ball off rather than score. I guess playing with Romeo, once he gets the ball, he doesn't give it back until it bounces off the rim.
it's not an assist unless the ball goes in ...

It’s one game.....and an All Star game at that. The game before when they played the Juniors, all 3 IU recruits shot a better percentage than Hunter did. You can get excited about these stats all you want, but it really means nothing.

It’s one game.....and an All Star game at that. The game before when they played the Juniors, all 3 IU recruits shot a better percentage than Hunter did. You can get excited about these stats all you want, but it really means nothing.
The point was that Hunter should have gotten more minutes since the IU players were total bricklayers. Bad coaching to have one of your best shooters on the bench to pander to IU fans.

Langford was 1/5 from 3 vs the juniors
Phinisee 0/3

DfDZ6IQXUAE-0lw

Langford was 1/5 from 3 vs the juniors
Phinisee 0/3

DfDZ6IQXUAE-0lw
Yes, never let those pesky facts get in the way. So far, it looks like Romeo's game is getting to the free throw line. He will be an All-American at the Hall of Calls......little more difficult on the road.

Reactions: Schnelk
Must of been fixed. No way that the next IU "movement" loses to these Kentuckians. Especially with Kobe Bryant 2.0 on their squad.

Nice to see Romeo a total of 13-32....Trey Young 2.0. They’ll win some games next season when he is hitting his shots but he doesn’t distribute as well as Young and neither does Phinisee.

When Romeo is on, IU could beat just about anyone...but if he isn’t, IU will struggle to compete like they did at times last season. Purdue will be in a similar boat but has a higher ceiling with a better supporting cast around Carsen, IMO.

I believe that's an accurate description. Although IU will have other players on the court, it's most likely when Langford is on the court, he'll be taking their shots. With Langford, I don't believe you'll have a lot of ball distribution as evidenced by Phinisee's lack of assists in this game. I'm confident Langford will get his points. When he's on, they will be tough to beat. However, like Young, when the opposition starts to focus their defense on him, IU as a team may find it hard to win.

Yes, never let those pesky facts get in the way. So far, it looks like Romeo's game is getting to the free throw line. He will be an All-American at the Hall of Calls......little more difficult on the road.

Umm....I thought we were talking about overall FG%, in that case my facts were still facts. If you wanna change the subject to 3P%, Hunter was 1-3 in that first game, still bad.

Romeo gets to the line a lot, not because somehow the refs show him favor, but because he drives a lot, is good at drawing contact, and the only way most defenders can keep him from scoring is by fouling. That’s a large part of his game.

The point was that Hunter should have gotten more minutes since the IU players were total bricklayers. Bad coaching to have one of your best shooters on the bench to pander to IU fans.

I would agree, as a coach you should play who’s hot. However, per a friend who was at the game, Hunter didn’t make his two threes until garbage time at the end when Kentucky already had it won and pulled the starters. It’s not like he was lighting it up all game and coach decided to pull him anyway. You can’t judge a game or the coach’s decisions purely by the stat sheet, it doesn’t tell the whole story.

I would agree, as a coach you should play who’s hot. However, per a friend who was at the game, Hunter didn’t make his two threes until garbage time at the end when Kentucky already had it won and pulled the starters. It’s not like he was lighting it up all game and coach decided to pull him anyway. You can’t judge a game or the coach’s decisions purely by the stat sheet, it doesn’t tell the whole story.

you can tell minutes played by the stat sheet. it's kind of obvious who the coach wanted to play. Both Langford and Phinisee received 30+ minutes.

you can tell minutes played by the stat sheet. it's kind of obvious who the coach wanted to play. Both Langford and Phinisee received 30+ minutes.

Ever think that maybe it was kinda obvious that they were better than the other options? Again, not from the stat sheet, but from the person who would best be able to make that decision, the coach.

Ever think that maybe it was kinda obvious that they were better than the other options? Again, not from the stat sheet, but from the person who would best be able to make that decision, the coach.

I used to think that. I used to think all coaches were really smart and knew the rules and how to substitute, and how to prepare for a game. and how to motivate their players. but I've watched too many coaches in my life that made bad decisions and played favorites. and to me giving both Phinisee and Langford 30+ minutes each in a game that wasn't close is playing favorites.

Look at the rosters, and then the results; and then come back to me and tell me the Indiana all star coach is a great coach.

I believe that's an accurate description. Although IU will have other players on the court, it's most likely when Langford is on the court, he'll be taking their shots. With Langford, I don't believe you'll have a lot of ball distribution as evidenced by Phinisee's lack of assists in this game. I'm confident Langford will get his points. When he's on, they will be tough to beat. However, like Young, when the opposition starts to focus their defense on him, IU as a team may find it hard to win.
Anyone get the feeling that IU this season will be similar to the season IU started with when they had kid get hurt who didn’t play a lick of defense and took all their shots? After that, IU got exponentially better as a whole team and ended up winning the league I think. Wasn’t he the kid who had the white part of hair in the front? Pepe Le Few shots he didn’t like.

I used to think that. I used to think all coaches were really smart and knew the rules and how to substitute, and how to prepare for a game. and how to motivate their players. but I've watched too many coaches in my life that made bad decisions and played favorites. and to me giving both Phinisee and Langford 30+ minutes each in a game that wasn't close is playing favorites.

Look at the rosters, and then the results; and then come back to me and tell me the Indiana all star coach is a great coach.

Are you talking about Fri night's game? Because I'm not sure where you get the idea it wasn't close?It was a 6 pt game with about 7 mins to go,and then Ky went on a 7-0 run that included both teams getting called for techs.Ky ended up winning by 11,and I'm not sure how people think having Hunter (who had 4 pts at the time) in the game earlier would have made a difference? His 2 late 3s against Ky reserves got him to double figures,but I don't see how not having him in the game earlier was detrimental?

Btw,Romeo shot very well from 2 for both games,a combined 13-23.His 3 pt shot was off,but he wasn't recruited or touted as an exclusive 3 pt threat.In fact to be honest the Indiana 3 pt shooting overall was pretty sad-in the 2nd game they shot 6-25 from 3 (Romeo 2-5,Hunter 0-2) and they still won by close to 30.In game 1 Anderson and Hunter played the same 16 mins,and Hunter went 2-3 from 3 and scored 10,while Anderson went 0-4 from 3 and scored 4.Meanwhile Lairy played only 10 mins,but went 3-4 from 3 and scored 11.I imagine who your minutes came against probably had something to say about your boxscore stats...

Phinisee does not look like a B1G caliber guard. Would be shocked if he started next season.

Morgan isn't going to give up his shots, and will get his. Too many players going to want their fame and glory, but like his "suspect" brother, Lil' Arch will figure out how to handle all those ego's. Ain't enough balls in Bloomington.

Reactions: Inspector100
Morgan isn't going to give up his shots, and will get his. Too many players going to want their fame and glory, but like his "suspect" brother, Lil' Arch will figure out how to handle all those ego's. Ain't enough balls in Bloomington.

I personally can’t wait to come back here in March to see your silence on this matter.

I personally can’t wait to come back here in March to see your silence on this matter.
An honest question for any IU fans lurking here:

Would Morgan be able to play the 4 in the event IU has a capable 5 option? Would make IU much better if you could get Romeo and Morgan on the floor and not have Morgan stuffed in the lane the entire time. Is he capable enough to run the PNR?

Looks like the one kid who can shoot consistently was kept on the bench for much of the game. Brilliant coaching.

An honest question for any IU fans lurking here:

Would Morgan be able to play the 4 in the event IU has a capable 5 option? Would make IU much better if you could get Romeo and Morgan on the floor and not have Morgan stuffed in the lane the entire time. Is he capable enough to run the PNR?

I think Morgan would be best at the 4. I hope he can play there this season. The question is whether someone else can step up and play the 5 well enough for Morgan to be able drop down to the 4. Morgan doesn’t shoot many 3s, but has good form and has shown he can hit them. If he can polish up his outside game he could be a terror at the 4 with his already strong post game. And even playing the 5 spot last year he was a part of plenty PNR plays, he can definitely do that.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I think Morgan would be best at the 4. I hope he can play there this season. The question is whether someone else can step up and play the 5 well enough for Morgan to be able drop down to the 4. Morgan doesn’t shoot many 3s, but has good form and has shown he can hit them. If he can polish up his outside game he could be a terror at the 4 with his already strong post game. And even playing the 5 spot last year he was a part of plenty PNR plays, he can definitely do that.
Wouldn't Davis be the only other option in the post? It would have to be him or Moore, and unless Moore has bulked up and gotten a lot better, that leaves Davis. Lil' Archie has never been a big post coach and likes to generate offense from his guards.

Wouldn't Davis be the only other option in the post? It would have to be him or Moore, and unless Moore has bulked up and gotten a lot better, that leaves Davis. Lil' Archie has never been a big post coach and likes to generate offense from his guards.

Davis would be the obvious choice if healthy. Although, I agree that Archie doesn't generally use a traditional big center. He like quicker, more agile big men. Davis doesn't really fit that mold. Freshman Jake Forrester does, but he likely won't be ready for big minutes yet. I think grad transfer Evan Fitzner will get plenty of minutes, not sure if will be at the 4 or 5 though. Race Thompson could also be a good option, I think he'll get his share of time at the 4 or possibly 5.

Davis would be the obvious choice if healthy. Although, I agree that Archie doesn't generally use a traditional big center. He like quicker, more agile big men. Davis doesn't really fit that mold. Freshman Jake Forrester does, but he likely won't be ready for big minutes yet. I think grad transfer Evan Fitzner will get plenty of minutes, not sure if will be at the 4 or 5 though. Race Thompson could also be a good option, I think he'll get his share of time at the 4 or possibly 5.
I think Race Thompson will be the biggest surprise on the IU roster. He may be gone after this year. Forrester needs at least a year to develop to the quicker game.

Nice to see Romeo a total of 13-32....Trey Young 2.0. They’ll win some games next season when he is hitting his shots but he doesn’t distribute as well as Young and neither does Phinisee.
The difference is Indiana's roster is more talented than what Young had. Abraham Lincoln will still shoot a lot but there's just a lot more help (Morgan, Smith, some freshmen, maybe Davis) on his roster compared to Young's last season.

Just in case anyone wants to watch the complete ball hog that Romeo is....or so you say. A large majority of his shots came off offensive rebounds and dump offs or lobs from teammates. Not really that many iso plays, as most of you assume that's all he does is hog the ball and take it himself.

Said this before and I'll say it again: Landford will be playing this year for draft position, nothing else. He could care less how iu does, as long at he can fill the stat sheet and put himself in lottery draft potential. In order to get the commitment, Lil Archie basically promised him the offense will run through him and he has the green light the second he crosses mid court. He might put up some big numbers, but it'll cost iu as a team. I see a Lavar Ball-like performance.
The slack jawed redneck iu fans will have a tough time reconciling that.

I absolutely cannot wait to see Nojel shut down Landford. Landford might fake an injury that game just so he doens't have to go against Eastern.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT