ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Illustrated B1G Preview/Projections

SI doesn't seem sold on Purdue this year. Hoping we prove them wrong.

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...wer-rankings-michigan-state-indiana-questions

Seems to be fairly reasoned overall, though.
We will prove them wrong and I like being a sleeper. We excel typically when people overlook us like that. Indiana added a good player so will get some attention for it as MSU is MSU because of Izzo.

We have one of the best players in the country on our team in CE and the question will be whether the rest of the team can support him or not. So, sleeping on us preseason I am okay with since all of this only matters when March rolls around.

Reactions: Schnelk and Roeder
Too many questions on this team. but trust in Painter
Don’t you like the unknowns makes for a season that nobody seems to think Purdue have players on the roster that can’t replace the production of 4 incredible seniors who left there place in Purdue history. Well I love the unknowns because all those questions will be answered in about 2 months and to me it’s gonna be fun to watch every single question being answered as these boys finally get to play ball. As I’ve stated on many occasions Purdue brings back as much experience as many teams ahead of them only differences those 3/4 guys just didn’t as many min as some of the other players on those teams they will this season. Look at each roster of the big 10 look at what each team lost what returns and their recruiting class plz tell me how different are the rosters from actual on court experience. Production will stand out I’m sure but the experience of playing in college games on the road in hostile environments those 3/4 players played in those games same as the returners of the teams they will face. Purdue 3/4 guys however did play in the big 10 tournament including championship game some of those players who returns didn’t and remember only 4 teams made the NCAA tournament and Purdue 3/4 players all got to experience and play 3 games all the way to the sweet 16 that many returning players on those experienced team didn’t. What separates Purdue lack of experience are min played together now they will play a lot more together to build the same kinda chemistry that those 4 seniors got to do for 4 years. I’m very optimistic of what this team gonna look like with some games under their belt I would not sleep on this team they may surprise many once they finally get to play more minutes together while the other players be implemented at their pace but brings a lot to this team once they get some games under their belt to. Carsen wont be by himself I’m confident that others gonna step up big time.

We will prove them wrong and I like being a sleeper. We excel typically when people overlook us like that. Indiana added a good player so will get some attention for it as MSU is MSU because of Izzo.

We have one of the best players in the country on our team in CE and the question will be whether the rest of the team can support him or not. So, sleeping on us preseason I am okay with since all of this only matters when March rolls around.

Oh, dear lord, now you've done it.

Don't you know, he's not just a . . . good player . . . as you put it? He's a one 'n dun. A future lottery pick. D@mn you, how dare you speak of him like he's just a common basketball player.

He's . . . he's . . . HE'S ROMEO, D@MMIT. And you WILL speak of him as IU fans see fit, or they will THROW a fit.

There . . . *brushing off hands* . . . I just saved the thread for us all.

Don't you know, he's not just a . . . good player . . . as you put it? He's a one 'n dun. A future lottery pick. D@mn you, how dare you speak of him like he's just a common basketball player.

He's . . . he's . . . HE'S ROMEO, D@MMIT. And you WILL speak of him as IU fans see fit, or they will THROW a fit.

LOL! They put on their capes and swoop in to defend their poor, defenseless players and school. Fun to watch.

I’ve been reading somewhere that there are a couple of freshmen on Penn St that are better.

:)

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Now, tell me which year we don't have to prove people wrong? Seems like we have to prove people wrong every year...

What a bunch of nonsense! There is no way we finish as bad as 8th. Behind Minnesota, Maryland, Nebraska, Indiana and Wisconsin - I don't think so. Maybe we don't finish as high as 3rd, but this article is just nuts. Geary must be a Badger fan or something. I am not sold on Happ or the Badgers; I just don't see it.

Seriously??
Actually yes.... I mean he is a decent college player and that is fine but I don't think he is all that. He doesn't seem athletic enough for the NBA to me. He can't shoot free throws worth a darn; can't shoot the 3 and is a bit undersized. And if that is not enough he plays for the wrong team. ;)

Reactions: Knights2715
Actually yes.... I mean he is a decent college player and that is fine but I don't think he is all that. He doesn't seem athletic enough for the NBA to me. He can't shoot free throws worth a darn; can't shoot the 3 and is a bit undersized. And if that is not enough he plays for the wrong team. ;)

Lol have you been watching the same Ethan Happ we’ve been watching? Who cares if he’s NBA-caliber or not. He’s a top 5 *college* player in the nation and arguably the best in the B1G with our own Carsen Edwards. In fact, I think Purdue and Wiscy this year have a lot in common. A returning upper classmen All-American with a lot of unproven players around him. Luckily Painter is the much better and more proven coach.

Lol have you been watching the same Ethan Happ we’ve been watching? Who cares if he’s NBA-caliber or not. He’s a top 5 *college* player in the nation and arguably the best in the B1G with our own Carsen Edwards. In fact, I think Purdue and Wiscy this year have a lot in common. A returning upper classmen All-American with a lot of unproven players around him. Luckily Painter is the much better and more proven coach.

Wisconsin came on really strong at the end of the year...this is really going to be the make it or break it season for Gard...they return 90% of their production from last year and Brad “Aaron Craft” Davison

Agree with your assessment about Painter. Not going to rag on Happ too much more, but I think he is a little over-rated and his game isn't as versatile as it could be. Can't wait for the season to begin; we will see. I think as long as Carsen gets good support from his teammates which I think he will, I think he will be the Big Ten POY and perhaps even national POY.

As one might expect at this time of year, this article seems to simply toss out an amalgamation of recruiting stars awarded and losses from last season with no particular insight... probably just a bit less interesting than talking about it at the barber shop.

Reactions: BoilerAndy and BBG
Lack of real talent outside of Carsen Edwards and maybe Eastern may come back to bite Purdue this upcoming season... It's a familiar refrain...Painter's lack of recruiting elite talent consistently bites them until they have a core of seniors like they had last season..

I like this years team. I think we do struggle for most of the year finding the right lineup and rhythm but we figure it out by March. I think we are a guaranteed tourney lock team all year long as well. This team is going to be unbelievably athletic.

Lack of real talent outside of Carsen Edwards and maybe Eastern may come back to bite Purdue this upcoming season... It's a familiar refrain...Painter's lack of recruiting elite talent consistently bites them until they have a core of seniors like they had last season..
Lack of real talent???

Power 5 program continuing to challenge the best in the business.

Gotcha

Lack of real talent???

Power 5 program continuing to challenge the best in the business.

Gotcha

it's difficult for any program to bounce back after losing 4 senior starters... we'll likely take a step back this year after a successful two year stint with the core players of haas, vince, dakota, etc...

I'm worried about our lack of depth and scoring. there are question marks at every spot on the roster besides Carsen.

we'll know more in March

Reactions: Inspector100
Agree with your assessment about Painter. Not going to rag on Happ too much more, but I think he is a little over-rated and his game isn't as versatile as it could be. Can't wait for the season to begin; we will see. I think as long as Carsen gets good support from his teammates which I think he will, I think he will be the Big Ten POY and perhaps even national POY.
I actually agree about Happ being overrated. He’s made a career of abusing inferior opponents. When he goes up against people he can’t physically overmatch under the basket, he’s got nothing.

I actually agree about Happ being overrated. He’s made a career of abusing inferior opponents. When he goes up against people he can’t physically overmatch under the basket, he’s got nothing.

he scored 21 points on Haas the last time they played us....

Ethan Happ is not overrated. Tough to have high efficiency numbers when you're option A, B, and C for your team. Wisconsin had some key guys miss last year due to injury which didn't help. With those guys back plus some freshman who came on very strong down the stretch, Wisconsin will be a much better team who should be in the field of 68 come March. Look for Happ to have a monster year with a much stronger supporting cast this year.

There will be nights next year where Carsen scores 21 points on 9 of 20 shooting and it'll be because of a young and inexperienced supporting cast.

Ethan Happ is not overrated. Tough to have high efficiency numbers when you're option A, B, and C for your team. Wisconsin had some key guys miss last year due to injury which didn't help. With those guys back plus some freshman who came on very strong down the stretch, Wisconsin will be a much better team who should be in the field of 68 come March. Look for Happ to have a monster year with a much stronger supporting cast this year.

There will be nights next year where Carsen scores 21 points on 9 of 20 shooting and it'll be because of a young and inexperienced supporting cast.
Agree to disagree. When I watch him play I see a guy that can’t shoot past 5 feet or FT. I am NOT saying he is a bad player. But in my opinion he’s not what a lot of people sell him to be.

Agree to disagree. When I watch him play I see a guy that can’t shoot past 5 feet or FT. I am NOT saying he is a bad player. But in my opinion he’s not what a lot of people sell him to be.

I mean he's not an NBA 5 or 4 and I don't think anybody will disagree with that, but he's an extremely talented college basketball player. Scored 22 and 23 on Michigan State last year and 29 on Michigan. He's not an outside shooting threat but he does possess the ability to catch the ball on the perimeter and face up his defender. He has very good ball skills for someone his size.

I mean he's not an NBA 5 or 4 and I don't think anybody will disagree with that, but he's an extremely talented college basketball player. Scored 22 and 23 on Michigan State last year and 29 on Michigan. He's not an outside shooting threat but he does possess the ability to catch the ball on the perimeter and face up his defender. He has very good ball skills for someone his size.
I don’t disagree at all. I just haven’t seen enough out of him to be able to believe he’s a top 5 player as some have said. Top 10-20 without a doubt though.

They beat us because our offense was terrible. I am not saying Happ is a bad player, he’s just not as good as people say, in my opinion.

our offense was terrible because Wisc forced turnovers and played excellent defense (Happ posted 3 steals according to the box).

He's obviously not the next LeBron, but he's been All B1G for 3 straight years for a reason and posted excellent numbers. Saying he's overrated is just willfully ignorant, no matter your opinion lol. It's like saying Shaq was overrated because he couldn't hit a free throw.

I don’t disagree at all. I just haven’t seen enough out of him to be able to believe he’s a top 5 player as some have said. Top 10-20 without a doubt though.

Top 5 player in what? The country? Either way a top 10-20 player in the country is not overrated. You could argue Happ, along with Edwards will be top 5 most valuable players in the country this coming year.

Happ lead his team in scoring, rebs, assists, steals, and blocks, that's impressive regardless of who you play for or with. Ethan Happ is the type of player who can single handily keep his team in games, not many players in the country can do or say that.

Top 5 player in what? The country? Either way a top 10-20 player in the country is not overrated. You could argue Happ, along with Edwards will be top 5 most valuable players in the country this coming year.

Happ lead his team in scoring, rebs, assists, steals, and blocks, that's impressive regardless of who you play for or with. Ethan Happ is the type of player who can single handily keep his team in games, not many players in the country can do or say that.
Overrated is relative. If somebody says he’s top 5 and I think he’s more like 20, then to my evaluation they are overrating him. Saying something is overrated is not the same as saying they are not good.

"haven't seen enough"

3 years of All B1G numbers isn't enough?
Do you actually watch games or just look at per game numbers? I’m clearly stating that I’ve watched him play and I don’t think he’s as good as advertised. I don’t understand how stating an opinion about a player who I’ve stated I believe is good is so offensive to you.

Do you actually watch games or just look at per game numbers? I’m clearly stating that I’ve watched him play and I don’t think he’s as good as advertised. I don’t understand how stating an opinion about a player who I’ve stated I believe is good is so offensive to you.

It's not about being offensive so much as it's a very weakly informed opinion. He's a 3x All-B10 player, how is that overrated or not as good as advertised? Who is a better big man in the B10 than Ethan Happ?

Never said I was offended. I just think it's silly to take the stance of "Happ is both a top 10-20 player AND he's overrated." I understand your logic of saying he's overrated from the perspective of being a top 5 player, since you consider him a top 10-20 player... but semantics and lazy defense at best.

Literally everyone who has watched him play the past 3 years considers him one of the best in college bball heading into next season. (besides you apparently). Calling Happ overrated is like saying the earth is flat. It has been proven otherwise time and time again.

It's not about being offensive so much as it's a very weakly informed opinion. He's a 3x All-B10 player, how is that overrated or not as good as advertised? Who is a better big man in the B10 than Ethan Happ?
Never said I was offended. I just think it's silly to take the stance of "Happ is both a top 10-20 player AND he's overrated." I understand your logic of saying he's overrated from the perspective of being a top 5 player, since you consider him a top 10-20 player... but semantics and lazy defense at best.

Literally everyone who has watched him play the past 3 years considers him one of the best in college bball heading into next season. (besides you apparently). Calling Happ overrated is like saying the earth is flat. It has been proven otherwise time and time again.
I just said he was top 10-20, so I don’t know how that’s saying he’s not a top player. Overrated is a very simple word. It means rated higher than they should be. It does not equal bad. A lot of people think he’s the best big man in the country. I think that is rating him higher than he should be. You guys clearly just want to argue about something, so I won’t be responding any further.

I just said he was top 10-20, so I don’t know how that’s saying he’s not a top player. Overrated is a very simple word. It means rated higher than they should be. It does not equal bad. A lot of people think he’s the best big man in the country. I think that is rating him higher than he should be. You guys clearly just want to argue about something, so I won’t be responding any further.

Do it this way then, if he’s so overrated, name a better overall 5 in college basketball? And not on potential either, name a more proven center in college basketball.

Do it this way then, if he’s so overrated, name a better overall 5 in college basketball? And not on potential either, name a more proven center in college basketball.

I just referenced the 2018 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Center of the Year Award candidates from 2018. Ethan Happ is the only player who was on the list of ten players last year who is returning to college basketball this year.

Then you've missed a lot.

Hells bells, the IU fans tore apart this forum for someone not putting dear Romeo on a top 5 FR list, and they tried their d@mndest to bully the forum into submission.

Now, Northworstern FB fans are crapping all over the football forum begging people to validate their team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT