ADVERTISEMENT

Some interesting comments during the game

gelesen

Sophomore
Feb 5, 2003
It was noted during the game that of the big 5 power conferences on Buddy Hield has a better point per minute played than Isaac Haas. Also we have the best first half stats of any power conference team. For the first half, we're the #1 team in the country. Unfortunately there are two halves. Still think it's a positive.
And finally, this is my own comment. Some think of Caleb as a turnover machine but he has only 6 more TO's than Yogi in one more game for the season..

Reactions: punaj
How about points/40 min for Power 5 centers:

1) Haas 26.8
2) Hammons 24.1

Center recruits should be tripping over themselves trying to line up to play for Painter.

I don't know about that. So they can come here, be possibly the best center in the country as a senior and only average 25 minutes per game? We may get great production out of them, but this isn't Calipari selling them or turning them into lottery picks.

It was noted during the game that of the big 5 power conferences on Buddy Hield has a better point per minute played than Isaac Haas. Also we have the best first half stats of any power conference team. For the first half, we're the #1 team in the country. Unfortunately there are two halves. Still think it's a positive.
And finally, this is my own comment. Some think of Caleb as a turnover machine but he has only 6 more TO's than Yogi in one more game for the season..

Right, so Yogi is a point guard........

I don't want to start a CMP battle - but that does imply that we don't improve after our half time adjustments. To be fair - if we are #1 we have no place to go but down. Some stats.....

Team rankings.com (point margin)

Purdue
We are #2 in first half
We are # 44 in second half

Michigan State
#33 in first half
#1 in second half

Indiana
#6 first half
#21 second half

Maryland
#44 In first
#16 in second

Not sure if conclusion to be drawn...but interesting data.

To be honest...we tend to fade at the end of first half (tonight is great example). If we didn't fade... We would be #1 in the first half by a mile.

I would prefer to improving after half time vs going backwards. (Thank YOU mr obvious).

Yogi is a PG. It's apples and oranges.

Last edited:
I don't know about that. So they can come here, be possibly the best center in the country as a senior and only average 25 minutes per game? We may get great production out of them, but this isn't Calipari selling them or turning them into lottery picks.
This situation of having two quality seven footers is extremely rare. Any high level big will control the minutes as soon as Haas is gone.

Reactions: WarBoiler44
I don't want to start a CMP battle - but that does imply that we don't improve after our half time adjustments. To be fair - if we are #1 we have no place to go but down. Some stats.....Team rankings.com (point margin)
Purdue
We are #2 in first half
We are # 44 in second half
Indiana
#6 first half
#21 second half

Not sure if conclusion to be drawn...but interesting data.

I'll draw a conclusion....we have a chance to play our usual game at IU and still be in it at the end because a Crean-led team is almost as likely to blow a lead as we are! Boiler Up in Bloomington!

IU will spread the floor, which will bring Hammons away from the basket, then IU will drive on Purdue, or kick it back out to open shooter when help defense steps in, Purdue needs to play really good defense on drive penetration and of course anything close to a foul will be called on all the drives to the basket, I say make IU hit from outside to win.

How about points/40 min for Power 5 centers:

1) Haas 26.8
2) Hammons 24.1

Center recruits should be tripping over themselves trying to line up to play for Painter.
And Purdue needs to be doing its part to get that story out there and in the headlines. I'd like to see more aggressive and creative recruiting strategies. How about parking billboard trucks with stats like this outside the houses of our top 5 big men targets for 2017?

Reactions: Zaphod_B
And Purdue needs to be doing its part to get that story out there and in the headlines. I'd like to see more aggressive and creative recruiting strategies. How about parking billboard trucks with stats like this outside the houses of our top 5 big men targets for 2017?

Purdue Basketball as a unit (meaning their own staff/program) does a good job. But they have their limitations.

Purdue Athletics as a whole does a terrible job (look at horrible Purdue marketed all of the NFL players - which has since dwindled).

The person in charge of marketing/PR/communications at Purdue is an accountant by trade.

Purdue Basketball as a unit (meaning their own staff/program) does a good job. But they have their limitations.

Purdue Athletics as a whole does a terrible job (look at horrible Purdue marketed all of the NFL players - which has since dwindled).

The person in charge of marketing/PR/communications at Purdue is an accountant by trade.
If we can't get up for 2 halves against IU than we deserve to lose. Simple as that. Bring it in the house of calls.

Yes. I know. Arms race and all that..

Th
Personally I think the announcer got it right last night when he said that our second half let off is mental at this point.

Here is to hoping we play a complete game against IU.
The question that keeps wandering around my mind is "What adjustments do you make when you have just had a series of first halves that are #1 in the Nation?" I would guess it's more like "Keep on doing exactly what you've been doing, it's working great!" .... then we go out and go 1 for 11.

I agree that a discussion about the "Thye will probably start doing this (whatever it is) to stop us doing this (whatever), so we are going to need to be more aware of this (whatever). It will probably be harder to accomplish this (whatever) than it has been." But that is not exactly an adjustment as just be aware and play smart.

Last edited:
Th

The question that keeps wandering around my mind is "What adjustments do you make when you have just had a series of first halves that are #1 in the Nation?" I would guess it's more like "Keep on doing exactly what you've been doing, it's working great!" .... then we go out and go 1 for 11.

I agree that a discussion about the "Thye will probably start doing this (whatever it is) to stop us doing this (whatever), so we are going to need to be more aware of this (whatever). It will probably be harder to accomplish this (whatever) than it has been." But that is not exactly an adjustment as just be aware and play smart.
But has it been half time adjustments by the opponent or simply guys sitting in the locker room for 20 minutes and losing the flow? Honest question. It's hard to imagine a B1G coach does not come into a game against Purdue knowing what to expect by now.
Would it be against the rules to go find a practice court at the half and run a few minutes of 5-on-5? LOL

But has it been half time adjustments by the opponent or simply guys sitting in the locker room for 20 minutes and losing the flow? Honest question. It's hard to imagine a B1G coach does not come into a game against Purdue knowing what to expect by now.
Would it be against the rules to go find a practice court at the half and run a few minutes of 5-on-5? LOL
It seems to me that we are getting the same shots after the half, and missing them. I haven't looked back other than last night. But the goal of any offense is to get good shots. I don't love our offense, but we do get shots that work very well in the first half. So, whatever is happening, it affects our shooting percentage. It does appear to me that our posts are pushed further from the basket after the half, which I'm sure is the other team adjusting or our bigs losing strength to hold the lower post position. I also notice that our bigs tend to shoot the same shot regardless of how far from the rim they are. The further out we are, it hits the front rim. We don't seem to adjust to shoot it further.

Calipari is turning top 10 recruits into lottery picks. Karl Anthony Towns got 21 mpg. Willie Cauley Stein got 24.5 mpg over 3 years.

Painter is turning top 100 recruits into first rounders.

I think this is comparable. UK is an attractive choice, but I don't see why Purdue shouldn't be right up there with them for a top 25 Center who might not see as many minutes at a UK or Duke.

Calipari is turning top 10 recruits into lottery picks. Karl Anthony Towns got 21 mpg. Willie Cauley Stein got 24.5 mpg over 3 years.

I think this is comparable. UK is an attractive choice, but I don't see why Purdue shouldn't be right up there with them for a top 25 Center who might not see as many minutes at a UK or Duke.
Without disagreeing with your post, I must add that several programs are doing great things with three stars. Oklahoma being one. I just watched a documentary on Hield. He was not recruited by very many and was not many stars. Probably he was right where he deserved to be. But then he spent hours and hours and hours in the gym. He was not a great player coming in. There are many other examples (Steph Curry going to Davidson). Carson Edwards appears to be one of these. Rowinski is a classic example at PU. Haas and Cline have every possibility and some probability to being one.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
Without disagreeing with your post, I must add that several programs are doing great things with three stars. Oklahoma being one. I just watched a documentary on Hield. He was not recruited by very many and was not many stars. Probably he was right where he deserved to be. But then he spent hours and hours and hours in the gym. He was not a great player coming in. There are many other examples (Steph Curry going to Davidson). Carson Edwards appears to be one of these. Rowinski is a classic example at PU. Haas and Cline have every possibility and some probability to being one.

Buddy Hield was a 4 star recruit, and a top 100 (#86 by Rivals) player. The kid has absolutely taken his game to another level, but let's not act like he was Steph Curry with no major D1 offers.

IU will spread the floor, which will bring Hammons away from the basket, then IU will drive on Purdue, or kick it back out to open shooter when help defense steps in, Purdue needs to play really good defense on drive penetration and of course anything close to a foul will be called on all the drives to the basket, I say make IU hit from outside to win.
I'm not sure that's as true for IU as it is some other opponents, at least with regard to Hammons and Haas. IU needs Bryant in the game and Bryant makes his living at the rim. When Bryant is on the bench, Max B will pull Hammons/Haas away more, but I don't think Crean will want him guarding Purdue's bigs more than he has to.

Buddy Hield was a 4 star recruit, and a top 100 (#86 by Rivals) player. The kid has absolutely taken his game to another level, but let's not act like he was Steph Curry with no major D1 offers.
Thanks, the documentary did not make that clear and I was too lazy to research.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Yes. I know. Arms race and all that..

It's not even arms race. Setting your athletic department up in a logical way has nothing to do with an arms race.

Also, having balls doesn't have anything to do with an arms race. Purdue doesn't brag about itself at all.

It's not even arms race. Setting your athletic department up in a logical way has nothing to do with an arms race.

Also, having balls doesn't have anything to do with an arms race. Purdue doesn't brag about itself at all.
My 'arms race' comment is somewhat TIC because I'm sure there would be a few extra dollars required somewhere along the way to put more emphasis on marketing.
15 years ago Oregon put a 100 foot tall Joey Harrington billboard in Times Square. He finished 4th in the Heisman, but many people learned about the Oregon Ducks. Purdue version would be a stock photo of AJ on a billboard in a corn field along I-65 reminding fans to renew season tickets.

My point was we aren't UK and can't sell them on lower playing time like Calipari can. Hammons could be one of the best centers in the country and is NOT getting enough playing time for all the time he has put into the program to suggest recruits should be jumping on board. The difference is even if you underachieve at UK, they are doing an amazing job of getting their players drafted. We've only gotten a few top 40 players (Moore/Swanigan) in Painters career so it's entirely too early to tell or suggest that they are guaranteed or very likely to be drafted.

My point was we aren't UK and can't sell them on lower playing time like Calipari can. Hammons could be one of the best centers in the country and is NOT getting enough playing time for all the time he has put into the program to suggest recruits should be jumping on board. The difference is even if you underachieve at UK, they are doing an amazing job of getting their players drafted. We've only gotten a few top 40 players (Moore/Swanigan) in Painters career so it's entirely too early to tell or suggest that they are guaranteed or very likely to be drafted.

I see what you're saying. I wasn't disagreeing. Just offering rhetoric on the state of things

I will counter: Why will Hammons come out...to guard Bryant? I see Hammons on Bryant and Swan on Williams. Put Ray on whoever is hot outside. Run the shooters off the line and make them hit shots over the bigs when they drive. Dare them to hit open 3's and they will. The plan will change when they sub in Bielfeld and bunch of jump shooters. Might have to go small with Swan on Bielfeld and Hammons and Haas taking a rest. That would mean low minutes for Haas.

Reactions: mathboy
BoilerStation, I agree with you & was exaggerating a little in my original post. I didn't really mean to imply the can't miss NBA prospects should be drooling over Purdue. I was thinking more along the lines of the type of player that Purdue seems to target: 4* types that are a tier or 2 below those elite guys...the guys with NBA type potential but still have work to do to get there or even guys like Haas who might have All-B1G potential but will never grade out as NBA 1st rounders due to an athleticism ceiling. I believe Painter has had three 4-star center recruits (JJ, AJH, Haas). Here is how they've ranked among Power 5 centers in Pts/40min:

JJ: 1st (Sr), 3rd (Jr), 5th (So)
AJH: 2nd (so far this year), 5th (Jr)
Haas: 1st (so far this year), 3rd (Fr)

Consistently among the highest scoring for their minutes, year-over-year improvement across the board, 1 All-American & first round NBA pick with the other 2 TBD. I might just be a Purdue homer, but it's tough to argue these guys aren't maximizing their potential under Painter & Co.

My 'arms race' comment is somewhat TIC because I'm sure there would be a few extra dollars required somewhere along the way to put more emphasis on marketing.
15 years ago Oregon put a 100 foot tall Joey Harrington billboard in Times Square. He finished 4th in the Heisman, but many people learned about the Oregon Ducks. Purdue version would be a stock photo of AJ on a billboard in a corn field along I-65 reminding fans to renew season tickets.
Doesn't hurt having Phil Knights's gazillions funding the Oregon AD....

I will counter: Why will Hammons come out...to guard Bryant? I see Hammons on Bryant and Swan on Williams. Put Ray on whoever is hot outside. Run the shooters off the line and make them hit shots over the bigs when they drive. Dare them to hit open 3's and they will. The plan will change when they sub in Bielfeld and bunch of jump shooters. Might have to go small with Swan on Bielfeld and Hammons and Haas taking a rest. That would mean low minutes for Haas.
That could be right too, I have watched IU alot , they can shoot, but can also go to the basket, gotta play D regardless

Doesn't hurt having Phil Knights's gazillions funding the Oregon AD....
No it certainly doesn't hurt. But you don't need Phil Knight money to do a few innovative things that get your brand out there and generate a lasting impression.

Yogi handles the ball every play. He also averages a lot of assists

But again, it's doesn't take money to brag about yourself. You don't have to put up a 50 foot banner to brag about yourself. But if you aren't confident about your own brand, you'll never get anywhere. Purdue's not confident in their own brand.

But again, it's doesn't take money to brag about yourself. You don't have to put up a 50 foot banner to brag about yourself. But if you aren't confident about your own brand, you'll never get anywhere. Purdue's not confident in their own brand.
I largely agree with you but their most recent marketing commercial highlighting the Cradle of Quarterbacks is a step in the right direction.

I largely agree with you but their most recent marketing commercial highlighting the Cradle of Quarterbacks is a step in the right direction.

I mean, to an extent. But Cradle of QBs is more effective in the moment - when's our last good QB? Been nearly 10 years since Orton left and he's obviously in the NFL. It's just not as effective now. It's like too little, too late. Most people under 40 think of Gary Danielson as an SEC announcer not a Purdue QB. Same with Bob Griese. Drew Brees is great - but he's not a recent alum anymore.

And same with the NFL players - we used to have an absurd number for the type of program like Purdue - but now it's just alright. Didn't take advantage of it.

With basketball, there's obviously a lot of pride points. We don't typically see it bragged about. Look how effective IU has been with the national championship banners - their last one is from 30 years ago. But it's been a point of pride for years - unwavering. So it's been effective.

I mean, to an extent. But Cradle of QBs is more effective in the moment - when's our last good QB? Been nearly 10 years since Orton left and he's obviously in the NFL. It's just not as effective now. It's like too little, too late. Most people under 40 think of Gary Danielson as an SEC announcer not a Purdue QB. Same with Bob Griese. Drew Brees is great - but he's not a recent alum anymore.

And same with the NFL players - we used to have an absurd number for the type of program like Purdue - but now it's just alright. Didn't take advantage of it.

With basketball, there's obviously a lot of pride points. We don't typically see it bragged about. Look how effective IU has been with the national championship banners - their last one is from 30 years ago. But it's been a point of pride for years - unwavering. So it's been effective.
I'd give Sindelar some time kid is going to be good down the road. Has ideal NFL size. Blough has some potential too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT