ADVERTISEMENT

Some Economic News to Consider When Voting this November

hunkgolden

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2004
Stock Market up 3,100 points since trade war began on March 22nd.
Jobless claims lowest since November 1969
House hold net worth increased $2 trillion in 2nd quarter
Companies had $2 trillion in profits in the 2nd quarter
Hourly earnings up 2.9% in August
Unemployment rate holding steady at 3.9%
2nd quarter GDP was highest since 2014
400,000 manufacturer jobs added (when Obama said it could never happen)

Last edited:
Home construction costs have jumped as high as 60% since the beginning of the year.
........the average is $9000 per house.

rising costs, inflation, government intervention - those are big things to consider when voting. those have been a direct result of one politician intervening in the marketplace.

thankfully one politician cannot directly impact the overall economy quite so directly otherwise (or in short time frame)

Last edited:
Reactions: BuilderBob6
Well crap - you better vote for democrats to weaken the economy to get new housing costs under control.
Lol. Says the economist.

Hey man, I'm just following the hunk/ Trump lover rules for voting. Just worry about me, screw everything else.

Your hero's freakin tariffs are killing his greatest economy in the history of the world. Just wait. He's also going to over heat it cause he wants 6%.

Hey man, I'm just following the hunk/ Trump lover rules for voting. Just worry about me, screw everything else.
These numbers are only about me?

What were those numbers when Obama left office? The economic trends have been steady and in place for a few years into Obama's term.

What you always say moron. Trump pinheads don't care about all the BS he says and does.......because as long as they are doing fine, they don't care about that garbage.
My business is setting up for another crash. I care about that.

What you always say moron. Trump pinheads don't care about all the BS he says and does.......because as long as they are doing fine, they don't care about that garbage.
New housing is going up all around me - more than I've seen in years. Not sure what your business is...but if you're a home builder struggling right now...you ain't doing something right my friend.

New housing is going up all around me - more than I've seen in years. Not sure what your business is...but if you're a home builder struggling right now...you ain't doing something right my friend.
Did I say I was? You people are so infuriating when you don't read what was said......or more likely, change the meaning to fit your talking point. IF COURSE it's good right now, but I've seen this many times before. It's coming but Trump is making it much worse.

Stop acting like you know a damn thing about my business......just because you you see new houses being built on your drive to work.

Not as good.
But they were right there. Of course the unemployment number has gone down as it was going down throughout the years and nothing's been done that stopped the trend. The market has hit all time highs because it hit all time highs under Obama and the trend continues. it not like Trump came into office and all of a sudden some indicators took a huge jump.

But they were right there. Of course the unemployment number has gone down as it was going down throughout the years and nothing's been done that stopped the trend. The market has hit all time highs because it hit all time highs under Obama and the trend continues. it not like Trump came into office and all of a sudden some indicators took a huge jump.
But weren't you one of the ones claiming that America, if not the world, would fall apart if Trump became President? He's hurt a few feelings with his tweets but the country seems to be safer than we've been in years and we're experiencing some of the best economic times we've had in decades. It would appear that the hysteria, fear, and dire predictions were nothing more than fake news.

But weren't you one of the ones claiming that America, if not the world, would fall apart if Trump became President? He's hurt a few feelings with his tweets but the country seems to be safer than we've been in years and we're experiencing some of the best economic times we've had in decades. It would appear that the hysteria, fear, and dire predictions were nothing more than fake news.

They passed a tax cut for the wealthy and he has a ton of executive orders to look at issues, (very few with any binding action) he’s accomplished hardly anything. He’s made a mockery of the rule of law, he’s attacked the free press. He’s destroyed our standing in the world as our allies don’t trust us and their citizens mock us. His policies will have negative long term effects, just because the economy is doing like it was before he became president doesn’t mean there won’t be issues to deal with down the road. He’s terrible for the envirnonment. They’re looking to cut social security and Medicare because they gave huge tax cuts that weren’t paid for to the richest 1%.

Pushing away our allies doesn’t make us safer. Leaving the Iran deal doesn’t make us safer. Getting played by Kim Jung Un and Putin doesn’t make us safer. We would have had this economy without Trump because we had it with Obama. Regular people are still barely getting by.

so did you ever give Obama credit for his economic numbers or were you criticizing then

Obama's numbers were never this good.
False.

• 2014 (Obama): 258,250 jobs added monthly on average; 3,099,000 annual total
  • 2015 (Obama): 221,417 jobs added monthly on average; 2,657,000 annual total
  • 2016 (Obama): 176,333 jobs added monthly on average; 2,116,000 annual total
  • 2017 (Trump): 170,500 jobs added monthly on average; 2,046,000 annual total
  • 2018 (Trump): on pace for 208,000 jobs added monthly on average; 2,496,000 annual total
Obama 2013 was 2,302,000.
2012 was 2,142,000.

He's consistently demonstrated that he's not really capable of intellectual, balanced conversation. He usually resorts to name-calling, juvenile threats, and other stuff that's probably worked for him in HS and college because he's seemingly bigger than everyone. It's pretty sad when those kinds people get into their adult years and haven't grown past that stuff.

He's consistently demonstrated that he's not really capable of intellectual, balanced conversation. He usually resorts to name-calling, juvenile threats, and other stuff that's probably worked for him in HS and college because he's seemingly bigger than everyone. It's pretty sad when those kinds people get into their adult years and haven't grown past that stuff.

You talking about Trump or Hunk?

He pointed out several statistics that showed America as a whole was doing well, not just him, or Trump pinheads as you put it. Those stats across the board help improve things with a lot of people-not just the rich.

As for building and cycles, stock market and cycles, pretty much the way it is and always will be. Nothing new. Greenspan(might have been Bernanke I forget) was in Germany in 2012ish or so stating that the level of derivatives/swaps etc was 30% higher than in 08. That is not on Trump or Obama anyone else-it is the way the economy/financial institutions works and from time to time the garbage(so to speak) needs to be cleaned from the system.

Last edited:
Not sure what that has to do with the tariffs causing home construction costs to rise.

Are you a builder? Your statement is broad, vague, and uninformed.
Hardly uninformed. As one looking at new homes, both personal and vacation, the materials used today are not as good as even 20 years ago...and especially not as good as those built in the 50's-70's.

Hardly uninformed. As one looking at new homes, both personal and vacation, the materials used today are not as good as even 20 years ago...and especially not as good as those built in the 50's-70's.
lol. I've been building homes, mostly custom, for 35 years. You don't have a clue. There are multiple variables at work here, but I'll just touch on a few as I don't want to derail the thread.
You couldn't afford your new home if the same materials from the '50s-'70s were used today.

You wouldn't want the same materials, especially on the exterior. For example, real wood is rarely used anymore.......it requires more maintenance, doesn't last as long or look as good, and is waaaaaaay too expensive. Wood siding, wood windows.......long gone.

Technology. like other industries, has come a long way. Better products, less maintenance, competitive pricing. Just because it's new doesn't make it inferior.

Solid surface tops, engineered wood, windows, mechanical systems, exterior finishes and many other products are vastly superior. Paint is worse but it doesn't kill you. No more asbestos.

Stick to talking about something you know.

Reactions: indy35
lol. I've been building homes, mostly custom, for 35 years. You don't have a clue. There are multiple variables at work here, but I'll just touch on a few as I don't want to derail the thread.
You couldn't afford your new home if the same materials from the '50s-'70s were used today.

You wouldn't want the same materials, especially on the exterior. For example, real wood is rarely used anymore.......it requires more maintenance, doesn't last as long or look as good, and is waaaaaaay too expensive. Wood siding, wood windows.......long gone.

Technology. like other industries, has come a long way. Better products, less maintenance, competitive pricing. Just because it's new doesn't make it inferior.

Solid surface tops, engineered wood, windows, mechanical systems, exterior finishes and many other products are vastly superior. Paint is worse but it doesn't kill you. No more asbestos.

Stick to talking about something you know.
First, I'm sure you build great homes and I'd love to look at one. But...Again, as you said, not to derail this thread.....you're going to tell me no more wooden windows? Baloney. Plastic siding is better than wood....maybe it lasts longer, but it fades, cracks, and is more prone to damage. Siding is used because it's cheaper, and faster to use and can be sold on the no maintenance propaganda. My original furnace in my current home lasted 39 years...my current high dollar, energy saving furnace and air conditioner....maybe 20 if I'm lucky. Those solid surface tops...prettier for sure.

And yes, real wood will be used in my new one where possible but the exterior will be brick, along with exterior clad wooden windows, natural cherry/walnut trim inside, and I'll do the marble or granite counter tops only for the "show" aspect of it.

And it's not going to be built 8 feet from a neighbor.:rolleyes: Sorry, but you can still get "old school" quality if you're willing to pay for it. I'm doing my homework, and I know what to look for....and even the high dollar homes have shortcuts taken. First, I trust my builder, who works on one at a time and has done much work for me, second I trust my judgement in picking out materials that may cost a bit more, but are going to last a lot longer.

And with this booming economy, I'm surprised you aren't a Trump fan...you should be making more than ever before.

First, I'm sure you build great homes and I'd love to look at one. But...Again, as you said, not to derail this thread.....you're going to tell me no more wooden windows? Baloney. Plastic siding is better than wood....maybe it lasts longer, but it fades, cracks, and is more prone to damage. Siding is used because it's cheaper, and faster to use and can be sold on the no maintenance propaganda. My original furnace in my current home lasted 39 years...my current high dollar, energy saving furnace and air conditioner....maybe 20 if I'm lucky. Those solid surface tops...prettier for sure.

And yes, real wood will be used in my new one where possible but the exterior will be brick, along with exterior clad wooden windows, natural cherry/walnut trim inside, and I'll do the marble or granite counter tops only for the "show" aspect of it.

And it's not going to be built 8 feet from a neighbor.:rolleyes: Sorry, but you can still get "old school" quality if you're willing to pay for it. I'm doing my homework, and I know what to look for....and even the high dollar homes have shortcuts taken. First, I trust my builder, who works on one at a time and has done much work for me, second I trust my judgement in picking out materials that may cost a bit more, but are going to last a lot longer.

And with this booming economy, I'm surprised you aren't a Trump fan...you should be making more than ever before.
Ugh. There are no more wood windows, unless they are clad, like you're talking about.....and they cost a ton and they're clad for a reason. Vinyl siding on production homes, concrete siding on expensive homes. Again, cost and maintenance. If you got 39 years out of your original furnace, congratulations. Put laminate on your tops in your new house if you like. You're choosing to spend more for materials that last longer.......it's always been that way, even in the '50s.

If you can afford cherry/walnut trim, your perspective is gonna be different than about 99% of the population. Criticize the product all you want but most Americans can't afford what you want. Congrats and bye.

Ugh. There are no more wood windows, unless they are clad, like you're talking about.....and they cost a ton and they're clad for a reason. Vinyl siding on production homes, concrete siding on expensive homes. Again, cost and maintenance. If you got 39 years out of your original furnace, congratulations. Put laminate on your tops in your new house if you like. You're choosing to spend more for materials that last longer.......it's always been that way, even in the '50s.

If you can afford cherry/walnut trim, your perspective is gonna be different than about 99% of the population. Criticize the product all you want but most Americans can't afford what you want. Congrats and bye.
Haha, have been in construction since helping my dad restore a Victorian in the late 70's, I wasn't even a teenager yet.

That, "Ugh" is why I find myself getting out. Far more enjoyable to do some woodworking in my garage, come up with ideas I think people want. If someone wants to buy it, they buy it, if they don't I tell my wife I made it for her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT