ADVERTISEMENT

So you think PJ and this team is slow and unathletic

Nov 9, 2011
Well, you are wrong. Eastern and Wheeler already have NBA point guard speed, and PJ is the quickest on the team

As the Boilers practice in preparation for the World University games in August, the newcomers are already drawing rave reviews from teammates and coaches. Josh Bonhotal, the associate director of strength and conditioning, regularly times every player’s 20-meter sprint.

Senior point guard P.J. Thompson still holds the team’s fastest personal record with 2.83 seconds. But Eastern and Wheeler beat Thompson in the most recent heat, clocking in just hundredths of a second slower than Thompson's lifetime PR.

Bonhotal, who has a stint with the Chicago Bulls on his resume, said 2.90 seconds is considered the speed an NBA player needs to play point guard.

http://www.goshennews.com/sports/na...cle_b40cafc3-a718-5564-a394-8f39c924ae64.html

Speed and quickness with the ball are two different things. Carsen is the quickest with the ball....even if PJ can beat him in a foot race.

Speed and quickness with the ball are two different things. Carsen is the quickest with the ball....even if PJ can beat him in a foot race.
But is also out of control a lot or at least was last season. Not turning the ball over is much more important than being fast and wild with it. We'll have to see if CE has worked that out.

Last edited:
I'd also like to see the stat for quickest to get back on defense, and the stat for fewest times faked out by my opponent!

I've taken a few stats classes and hold a math degree! The conclusion is the more you know about stats the more you realize you can create and use any stat you want to support and prove your point!

It's impressive that 5'9" PJ is the team's Sprint champion. I would have guessed someone with longer legs.

Are there any standard drills that measure a player's lateral quickness or ability to change direction?

It's impressive that 5'9" PJ is the team's Sprint champion. I would have guessed someone with longer legs.

Are there any standard drills that measure a player's lateral quickness or ability to change direction?

Three cone shuttle would be a great indicator on lateral quickness and explosiveness

***Edited for the oldies with teenage humor, lol ***

Last edited:
Reactions: Billydreamer65
Speed is over-rated if your offense is not a fast break offense. Speed is also over-rated if you do not stop your opponent and allow them to have an easy layup or wide open three.

Speed is over-rated if your offense is not a fast break offense. Speed is also over-rated if you do not stop your opponent and allow them to have an easy layup or wide open three.

It's even more overrated if you can't dribble while running fast. If you are judging the PG position based off speed and what it takes to be in the NBA, how fast and how quickly you can move with the ball is far more important than straight line speed.

Well, you are wrong. Eastern and Wheeler already have NBA point guard speed, and PJ is the quickest on the team

As the Boilers practice in preparation for the World University games in August, the newcomers are already drawing rave reviews from teammates and coaches. Josh Bonhotal, the associate director of strength and conditioning, regularly times every player’s 20-meter sprint.

Senior point guard P.J. Thompson still holds the team’s fastest personal record with 2.83 seconds. But Eastern and Wheeler beat Thompson in the most recent heat, clocking in just hundredths of a second slower than Thompson's lifetime PR.

Bonhotal, who has a stint with the Chicago Bulls on his resume, said 2.90 seconds is considered the speed an NBA player needs to play point guard.

http://www.goshennews.com/sports/na...cle_b40cafc3-a718-5564-a394-8f39c924ae64.html

This is interesting but PJ doesn't play that fast. Some guys are faster than they play. The upside is the prevention of turnovers though so I'm not in the anti-PJ camp at all.

I'd also like to see the stat for quickest to get back on defense, and the stat for fewest times faked out by my opponent!

I've taken a few stats classes and hold a math degree! The conclusion is the more you know about stats the more you realize you can create and use any stat you want to support and prove your point!
Defensively, lateral agility & quickness compensate for losing your jock. Great technique with lateral agility can be formidable for any player away from the basket.
I would venture to say that if you find the players who've lead in steals, charges taken, blocked shots & forced turnovers, they'll most likely represent the quickest & laterally agile.

Sabermetrics and analytics have replaced what some in the past called a hunch by a manager or player in sports and also now used in the business world such as Risk Analysis/Management.

Both are rapidly growing fields and can be quite lucrative and financially rewarding "IF" one knows what statistic(s) to create, track and analyze at the calculus level versus the algebraic level of equations. I too have a mathematics degree and agree anyone can find statistics to support a position or point.

The success in using Stats in any of the areas such as sports performance, business, fantasy leagues, betting odds, etc.is constantly changing and refining those equations in the specific areas to track that effect the outcome and deciding which stat or stats are the optimal predictor of the future.

They are becoming closely guarded secrets in Sports and Business as for example chemical formulas and recipes once were! I had the opportunity to compare the baseball Moneyball analytics of the past to one used today and to coin a phrase it was like looking at a Model T versus a Tesla.

Last edited:
I don't want to change the tone of this Convo too much, but I am one of the individuals that is consistently tough on PJ and it's not because of speed, quickness, or heart. Its something he cannot control and that is his height. He may be able to get into an opponent, but when the opponent is skilled they usually have no issue shooting over him at a high percentage.

I don't want to change the tone of this Convo too much, but I am one of the individuals that is consistently tough on PJ and it's not because of speed, quickness, or heart. Its something he cannot control and that is his height. He may be able to get into an opponent, but when the opponent is skilled they usually have no issue shooting over him at a high percentage.

I think you overestimate that deficiency. In fact, for every game you show me a skilled opponent that shot over PJ at a high percentage, I'll show you one who did not.

Sometimes perception exceeds reality.

I think you overestimate that deficiency. In fact, for every game you show me a skilled opponent that shot over PJ at a high percentage, I'll show you one who did not.

Sometimes perception exceeds reality.

Unfortunately, one loss is not equal to one win in this game of basketball, so if we are facing a team in the tourney and they have this one player, doesn't matter what the previous 30 have done, only matters how comfortable they are playing against PJ.

Unfortunately, one loss is not equal to one win in this game of basketball, so if we are facing a team in the tourney and they have this one player, doesn't matter what the previous 30 have done, only matters how comfortable they are playing against PJ.
True, but that's certainly not what you said the first time.

And yes. PJ struggled with Frank Mason and Monte Morris (to a lesser extent).....just like about every PG who faced them last year regardless of size.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT