ADVERTISEMENT

So this week made me change my opinion on playing Notre Dame

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
Used to be in favor of it. Going forward, I really don't care if we do or don't. Let them play Toledo and Wake Forest in front of 60k more often. While I personally don't care if had the drum or not, it's incredibly petty for Notre Dame to not allow it.

We almost sold out our stadium against Oregon State two weeks ago. We are going to be on tv every week no matter who we play. The things we used to get by playing Notre Dame we are going to get anyway so long as we replace them with another P5 opponent and are respectable ourselves.

With Bobinski having gone to Notre Dame, I'm sure he will continue to schedule them when he can but I would hope whenever they have to come to West Lafayette next we tell them their leprechaun doesn't meet the height requirement to get into the stadium and maybe they will get pissed off and call off the series for good. Time to move on.

Last edited:
Used to be in favor of it. Going forward, I really don't care if we do or don't. Let them play Toledo and Wake Forest in front of 60k more often. While I personally don't care if had the drum or not, it's incredibly petty for Notre Dame to not allow it.

We almost sold out our stadium against Oregon State two weeks ago. We are going to be on tv every week no matter who we play. The things we used to get by playing Notre Dame we are going to get anyway so long as we replace them with another P5 opponent and are respectable ourselves.

With Bobinski having gone to Notre Dame, I'm sure he will continue to schedule them when he can but I would hope whenever they have to come to West Lafayette next we tell them their leprechaun doesn't meet the height requirement to get into the stadium and maybe they will get pissed off and call off the series for good. Time to move on.
See your point but playing ND and beating them brings a lot to our program

I’ve been on the F*** Notre Dame train for quite a while. When the series stopped, I thought I would miss it. Turns out, I didn’t. Let them play their half-ass ACC schedule every year. They’ll always have NBC and Mike Tirico polishing their knob and trying to convince everybody what a tough schedule they play. Meanwhile, the P5 conferences will continue to consolidate, playing more conference (or “alliance”) games, and with any luck, the cough sufferers in South Bend will be begging St. Mary’s of the Woods for a game, because nobody else will have room on their schedule for them.

I know…I’m dreaming. Bottom line, ND could disappear from our schedule forever and I wouldn’t care one way or the other.

See your point but playing ND and beating them brings a lot to our program
Playing them brings next to nothing, and, beating them so infrequently brings about as much. Purdue has won twice in South Bend in almost 50 years.

It used to be a special game, and, special opportunity...now...it is Purdue hoping against hope that they might somehow beat them...and, they have not taken advantage, even against some down ND teams (including yesterday's).

If Purdue does win, it only hurts ND's credibility generally...it does nothing for Purdue's, and, it is not nearly as relevant or important when it comes to recruiting as it once was.

ND does not want to play Purdue...Purdue essentially has to beg ND to find room somewhere for them on the schedule...the game/series means nothing at all to them.

Like say, it once (and for a long time) was a special game...it no longer is. Players look forward to/get excited about it, but, to TC4Three's point...they would look forward to/get excited about any other nationally relevant team...and, there are opportunities for such with the new alliance that do not need to include ND.

Last edited:
Playing them brings next to nothing, and, beating them so infrequently brings about as much. Purdue has won twice in South Bend in almost 50 years.

It used to be a special game, and, special opportunity...now...it is Purdue hoping against hope that they might somehow beat them...and, they have not taken advantage, even against some down ND teams (including yesterday's).

If Purdue does win, it only hurts ND's credibility generally...it does nothing for Purdue's, and, it is not nearly as relevant or important when it comes to recruiting as it once was.

ND does not want to play Purdue...Purdue essentially has to beg ND to find room somewhere for them on the schedule...the game/series means nothing at all to them.

Like say, it once (and for a long time) was a special game...it no longer is. Players look forward to/get excited about it, but, to TC4Three's point...they would look forward to/get excited about any other nationally relevant team...and, there are opportunities for such with the new alliance that do not need to include ND.
I am going to bring up something that most Purdue fans over a certain age do not want to hear.

In the interest of expanding the fan base within the general instate population, having a heated rivalry with 2 large instate fan bases is a poor recipe. IU as a primary rival for all sports is enough. Get Notre Dame off the schedule and let them do their east coast/ACC thing.

Why should a kid who has family ties to both Purdue and Notre Dame have to pick a side? IMO we lose out on a lot of potential fans that way, especially in the northern part of the state. I know guys who would root for Purdue but they were taught it was either/or, so instead they follow Indiana or Butler (yes, this affects basketball too). Set apart Notre Dame and Purdue as non-competitors and put what little remains as a rivalry to rest. The only true "house divided" situation in the state of Indiana should be Purdue/IU.

Great post, couldn’t have said it better

Notre Dame didn't want to join the BIG. Leave the series. We play ranked teams every year in the BIG so we don't need them anyhow. Scheduling other P5 schools would be more fun IMO. Variety wins out for me. I don't look at South Bend as a vacation destination.

I am going to bring up something that most Purdue fans over a certain age do not want to hear.

In the interest of expanding the fan base within the general instate population, having a heated rivalry with 2 large instate fan bases is a poor recipe. IU as a primary rival for all sports is enough. Get Notre Dame off the schedule and let them do their east coast/ACC thing.

Why should a kid who has family ties to both Purdue and Notre Dame have to pick a side? IMO we lose out on a lot of potential fans that way, especially in the northern part of the state. I know guys who would root for Purdue but they were taught it was either/or, so instead they follow Indiana or Butler (yes, this affects basketball too). Set apart Notre Dame and Purdue as non-competitors and put what little remains as a rivalry to rest. The only true "house divided" situation in the state of Indiana should be Purdue/IU.
The problem (and i use that loosely in that it is not a problem in my eyes) is that the ND fans ARE IU fans...one and the same in most cases.

Purdue need not worry about expanding its fanbase in Northern Indiana...it is popular in the region, it has a great deal of support in South Bend, and, it is not going to pick up ND fans regardless of whether they play them or not.

Reactions: TC4THREE

This came out this week and touches a little on what I was saying here. The whole ND-ACC scheduling agreement is starting to fall apart for them. They are struggling to fill the seats for many of these matchups. As it turns out, not many people are going to come to these ND-mid-tier-ACC matchups consistently, especially after the opposing fan base has made the trip once already. The game needs to mean something. Sure, they'll get Clemson at home every four years, but the ND national fan base isn't coming to South Bend every weekend for MAC opponents or even decent ACC opposition like UNC. And the opponents aren't going to make the trip either unless they are having a peak season like Cincinnati this year.

When they played 3 Big Ten opponents (us, MSU, and Michigan) every year, those games had significant local interest (from both local opposition and local ND fans) no matter what. They've lost that but have been able to keep some Big Ten teams on the schedule in spite of that.

If the Big Ten were to play hardball and just say that none of us are scheduling ND in football going forward, it would erode the local interest in their program. Instead, we're willing to play them on their terms. Michigan and MSU are willing to play them on their terms. Ohio State has signed up to play them the next two years. I think IU scheduled something with them in the early 2030's. They played Northwestern in the recent past and Wisconsin this year.

If we just cut all scheduling with them altogether, I think it would damage their program over a 10-20 year period of time. We're starting to see the results now and the Big Ten has not even begun to pressure them yet. I'd like to see us (Big Ten) start doing that. We are the only Big Ten team on their schedule for 2024-2028. As a fan, I'd be fine with us scheduling another P5 team in place of that if other Big Ten teams were willing to join to boycott scheduling them in football.

This came out this week and touches a little on what I was saying here. The whole ND-ACC scheduling agreement is starting to fall apart for them. They are struggling to fill the seats for many of these matchups. As it turns out, not many people are going to come to these ND-mid-tier-ACC matchups consistently, especially after the opposing fan base has made the trip once already. The game needs to mean something. Sure, they'll get Clemson at home every four years, but the ND national fan base isn't coming to South Bend every weekend for MAC opponents or even decent ACC opposition like UNC. And the opponents aren't going to make the trip either unless they are having a peak season like Cincinnati this year.

When they played 3 Big Ten opponents (us, MSU, and Michigan) every year, those games had significant local interest (from both local opposition and local ND fans) no matter what. They've lost that but have been able to keep some Big Ten teams on the schedule in spite of that.

If the Big Ten were to play hardball and just say that none of us are scheduling ND in football going forward, it would erode the local interest in their program. Instead, we're willing to play them on their terms. Michigan and MSU are willing to play them on their terms. Ohio State has signed up to play them the next two years. I think IU scheduled something with them in the early 2030's. They played Northwestern in the recent past and Wisconsin this year.

If we just cut all scheduling with them altogether, I think it would damage their program over a 10-20 year period of time. We're starting to see the results now and the Big Ten has not even begun to pressure them yet. I'd like to see us (Big Ten) start doing that. We are the only Big Ten team on their schedule for 2024-2028. As a fan, I'd be fine with us scheduling another P5 team in place of that if other Big Ten teams were willing to join to boycott scheduling them in football.
Yet ND’s revenue has skyrocketed.
You do understand that ND’s ticket sales at home games is a very, very small part of their revenue. During their $400 million renovation they actually lowered the number of seats by 5k to build more luxurious boxes, & their revenue went up.
ND has one of the largest endowments in the country with one of the smallest enrollments https://www.usnews.com/education/be...s/10-universities-with-the-biggest-endowments

There is nothing the B1G can do to damage ND over the next 10-20 years. In fact, the B1G benefits when it plays ND. Northwestern has their only sellout and nationally televised game of the week on ABC at 730 the year they won the West when they hosted ND in 2018. That same year they hosted Michigan & it was a noon kickoff on the B1G Network to a half empty stadium.

The B1G boycotting ND hurts only the B1G, thus why the millionaires who make millionaire decisions don’t make dumb decisions like you would & they will always continue to schedule ND. Sorry.

Reactions: ZVZ
I look at that game with a different viewpoint. Purdue fans used to think that was a big game. But Notre Dame fans never did. For Notre Dame fans, playing USC was the BIG rivalry game. But for USC, their big game is UCLA. It’s sort of the same for Michigan. OSU is their rival not MSU. But for MSU, Their big game is playing Michigan. I once lived in Oklahoma. Their true rival was Texas, not Nebraska. Is Alabama vs Auburn bigger than alabama vs Georgia or Florida? To have a true rivalry fans from both teams need to think of the game as their big game of the year.

Reactions: NVboiler
You do understand that ND’s ticket sales at home games is a very, very small part of their revenue. During their $400 million renovation they actually lowered the number of seats by 5k to build more luxurious boxes, & their revenue went up.
ND has one of the largest endowments in the country with one of the smallest enrollments https://www.usnews.com/education/be...s/10-universities-with-the-biggest-endowments

There is nothing the B1G can do to damage ND over the next 10-20 years. In fact, the B1G benefits when it plays ND. Northwestern has their only sellout and nationally televised game of the week on ABC at 730 the year they won the West when they hosted ND in 2018. That same year they hosted Michigan & it was a noon kickoff on the B1G Network to a half empty stadium.

The B1G boycotting ND hurts only the B1G, thus why the millionaires who make millionaire decisions don’t make dumb decisions like you would & they will always continue to schedule ND. Sorry.
You took a point about attendance and redirected it to revenue.

Sorry, indeed.

The B1G benefits in no way at all in playing a watered-down version of a once nationally celebrated program.

The B1G absolutely does not need ND in any way...and, to the poster's point, it has bent over backwards (just as the ACC did/has...and now is realizing that it also did/does not make sense) for ND in the past despite it not making sense.

If the B1G elects to change ways and not play ND...and the ACC does the same, then indeed it damages ND, as, ND is left with next to nobody to play.

The whole point of this thread was the lack of interest on Purdue's part in continuing to play ND, and, that point is valid...it once was special...ND ruined that (just like it ruins so many other things) with their arrogance and how they handled/treated Purdue and other B1G schools.

Personally...outside of my own personal disdain for the program, I could not care less if Purdue played them ever again...ND is not the program that it once was, and, the game does not carry the meaning that it did...there is no difference at this point in playing them or another actual nationally recognized program...that is what the thread was about...and, it is completely accurate.

I’m all for dropping these self righteous chuckleheads from the schedule and replace them with a relevant program.
Especially after watching them struggle at home (once again - 2 whopping road games to date!) against a middling ACC team.

The B1G benefits in no way at all in playing a watered-down version of a once nationally celebrated program.

The B1G absolutely does not need ND in any way...and, to the poster's point, it has bent over backwards (just as the ACC did/has...and now is realizing that it also did/does not make sense) for ND in the past despite it not making sense.

If the B1G elects to change ways and not play ND...and the ACC does the same, then indeed it damages ND, as, ND is left with next to nobody to play.

The whole point of this thread was the lack of interest on Purdue's part in continuing to play ND, and, that point is valid...it once was special...ND ruined that (just like it ruins so many other things) with their arrogance and how they handled/treated Purdue and other B1G schools.

Personally...outside of my own personal disdain for the program, I could not care less if Purdue played them ever again...ND is not the program that it once was, and, the game does not carry the meaning that it did...there is no difference at this point in playing them or another actual nationally recognized program...that is what the thread was about...and, it is completely accurate.
VERY well-put…

The domaz are an “AA” operation: Avarice and Arrogance— everything about them is rooted in these two bedrock principles.

You may get your wish. The assumption is the alliance between the BT, ACC and PAC 10 means two additional games scheduled against the other conferences. Dropping the BT schedule back to 8 games, two for the alliance and 2 for "other" means it becomes imperative to schedule a "tune up" opponent for bowl eligibility chances. Assuming we keep that MAC teams for one of those it doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room going forward.

We are gonna play three big ten teams ranked in the top FIVE when we play them … we need to play ND? Why?

Haha. Nice logic. I was talking about attendance and how Notre Dame's ticket demand has eroded with the MAC-and-mid-tier-ACC home schedule. Didn't say one word about revenue. But then you point to attendance when talking about how ND benefits the Big Ten as if we aren't swimming in TV revenue. ND's extra 20k fans in one Big Ten stadium every year isn't a blip on anyone's radar.

The point was never that ND was going to run out of money. They could have zero ticket revenue and keep going. But you know who doesn't care about that? Recruits deciding between Notre Dame and Ohio State, or Oklahoma, or Alabama. They aren't going to continue to sign up to play in front of a 2/3 to 3/4 full ND stadium against Toledo, USC or Stanford, and a bunch of mid-tier ACC opponents when they can go play in the SEC or Big Ten and guarantee they will play in front of a full house and have multiple opportunities at top 20 home games every year. That will be what hurts ND. A horrid home schedule that doesn't excite their fans or recruits. Recruiting will erode and they will fall (even further) behind the upper echelon of college football.

Last edited:
The ACC sold their soul to get ND to play a few games against them. ND gets a spot in their bowl roster in return for playing some ACC games. That also means that other ACC teams get downgraded in the bowl selection process. That hurts their revenue. What people fail to realize is that the evolution of college football is going towards the detriment of ND. ND knew this and that is why they sought the ACC affiliation.

ND is arrogant. A case in point is the recent drum issue. The Purdue drum had been to ND many times without incident and there was a way to get it into the stadium if an accommodation was wanted by the Irish. It was not. They sought to rub our noses in it. My view is treat them in the future with the contempt that they deserve.

ADVERTISEMENT