ADVERTISEMENT

So Much For Florida State Belonging….

RossMackey

True Freshman
Aug 29, 2017
… in the CFP.

FSU should change its initials to STFU.

They didn’t belong in the final four any more than the many overhyped iterations of Domer football teams, who feast on easy schedules, only to be exposed and obliterated when facing legit opponents!

Reactions: BoilerAndy
That’s wrong, they had so many Opt out, you can’t use this game as a basis for how good the team was.
They should have considered that possibility before the endless bitching and moaning about how they were “robbed”

IMO all their whining rings REALLY hollow right now….

They should have considered that possibility before the endless bitching and moaning about how they were “robbed”

I was saying the same thing throughout the game. A few years ago, Kansas State was complaining about playing the lowly Boiermakers in a bowl when they said their record and ranking should have put them in a major bowl. They embarrassed themselves when Purdue beat them. Several years before, Tennessee did the same thing.

Reactions: RossMackey
Not the same team, no relevance. FSU undefeated in major conference and conference champs should be automatic, 12 next year solves that

Reactions: Riveting-
Not the same team, no relevance. FSU undefeated in major conference and conference champs should be automatic, 12 next year solves that
Think there's currently 41 bowl games comprised of 82 teams. Next year there will be 12 teams in 11 bowls to decide the winner. That leaves approx. 30 bowls and 70 (which would then be 60) teams flapping in the wind. The ANTICIPATED result will be players sticking around if they are one of the 12 teams (as Conan says in the not-quite-as-good Conan The Destroyer, "We shall see"). Then the other games would most likely feature opt-out mania rosters. It will be interesting to see how many of the remaining bowls can make a go of it. Maybe offer cash prizes for winning teams? Free Duke Mayo 4 life? Paid gigs for players and coaches in the following years AFLAC commercials? The possibilities are endless. And gruesome.

Eh, they would have had all their players if they made the CFP. Except for a QB, which is why they didn’t make it…

Reactions: pboiler18
Believe that bitching was justified. They had around 20 players opt out because of the royal screwing they took.
This may very well be true, but it makes zero sense to me:

If these kids truly believed they belonged among the elite, why wouldn’t they relish the chance to PROVE it in a major bowl???

IMO they all knew, deep down— that they didn’t belong on the big stage after their stud QB went down - that was the EXACT SAME conclusion the CFP selectors came to.

Both have been proven to be absolutely correct!

All of the non playoff bowls are hot garbage. Players transfer, players opt out, coaches leave all before bowl games. It's bad for college football. I am not a Noles fan but the list of starters not including qb1 not playing is enough to choke a maggot. Last count was 23 starters. These games are unwatchable. I am happy for Georgia that they got their participation trophy.

I guess between the FSU debacle and Ohio State's loss there's something comforting in knowing this stuff happens to elite programs, too.

Not that it makes our Auburn beatdown any better. But it at least gives a little perspective.
The Auburn beat down was because we weren’t great. The LSU beat down was because of staff flux and opt outs.

That said, why anybody would look anything into those games as an indicator of past or future performance is crazy. Vs LSU they had 3 D1 level QBs including a future heisman and we had 0. Outside of the WR that got busted banging their AAD, they had 0 opt outs while we had like 5k yards of offensive production and our 3 best defenders out of the game. Of course we were going to get creamed!

Reactions: SKYDOG and rgarlitz
All of the non playoff bowls are hot garbage. Players transfer, players opt out, coaches leave all before bowl games. It's bad for college football. I am not a Noles fan but the list of starters not including qb1 not playing is enough to choke a maggot. Last count was 23 starters. These games are unwatchable. I am happy for Georgia that they got their participation trophy.
Yea...worthless exhibition. Georgia came in mostly full strength and fsu was just a bunch of freshman. Can't take anything from yesterday's game. I think alabama and georgia would have beaten fsu at the end of the year but imo it shouldn't be up for discussion. Fsu went undefeated. The discussion should have been around the one loss teams and tx beat al. The committee went against everything they said would happen to identify the 4 best teams. If we weren't going to a 12 team playoff next year this would have been a very bad precedent. If the season (wins and losses) don't matter then just pick the national champ in Aug without playing a game.

The Auburn beat down was because we weren’t great. The LSU beat down was because of staff flux and opt outs.

That said, why anybody would look anything into those games as an indicator of past or future performance is crazy. Vs LSU they had 3 D1 level QBs including a future heisman and we had 0. Outside of the WR that got busted banging their AAD, they had 0 opt outs while we had like 5k yards of offensive production and our 3 best defenders out of the game. Of course we were going to get creamed!
That's right, the LSU game when most of Purdue's offensive weapons opted out.

Ya they had 19 or so opt out or injured, Georgia had 0 opt out and a handful of injured. If the game meant anything most of the opt outs would have played. I went to the Citrus Bowl last year and saw first hand what happens when your skilled players opt out - it sucks paying that much money - 125 a ticket , and including travel and everything - and watching your team play backups. And in Florida Sts situation they played 3rd stringers

I guess between the FSU debacle and Ohio State's loss there's something comforting in knowing this stuff happens to elite programs, too.

Not that it makes our Auburn beatdown any better. But it at least gives a little perspective.
Wasn’t Ohio State only down two players? Harrison opted out and Day ran off his quarterback. Glad Missouri beat them. Wish they would have scored another TD late instead of running out the clock.

Wasn’t Ohio State only down two players? Harrison opted out and Day ran off his quarterback. Glad Missouri beat them. Wish they would have scored another TD late instead of running out the clock.
Yeah I was surprised to see all their guys playing. Also very surprised that they don’t have another qb on the roster who can function at all. Day better get one of these transfers or he’s going to be rolling with a true freshman and could be in a lot of trouble.

Then 2nd string QB went down with injury, just no offense at all, Missouri loaded the box, stopped the run, OSU had no passing attack at all

… in the CFP.

FSU should change its initials to STFU.

They didn’t belong in the final four any more than the many overhyped iterations of Domer football teams, who feast on easy schedules, only to be exposed and obliterated when facing legit opponents!
Yea, the 15 starters out and third string QB had no bearing on the game.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Poprudy
Playing with just 1/3 of scholarship players would kill any team. FSU depended on their D and that's where they missed most starters.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I wish these NIl contributors would tell these guys they don’t get paid if they don’t represent in the bowl. Can boilermaker alliance do this?

No.....there can be no "pay-to-play" or performance-based requirements for NIL.
.....and I don't think we've seen where this road truly lies with the ever-encroaching and acceptance (even embracing) of gambling partners.

Welcome to us all to the new dawn of collegiate, interscholastic athletics.

.....and I don't think we've seen where this road truly lies with the ever-encroaching and acceptance (even embracing) of gambling partners.

People can call it what they want to sugar coat NIL. If some think it’s not pay to play then the transfer portal wouldn’t be that active. Highly doubt these athletes would be getting all this money to not play and just be students to attend another school.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I expected Georgia to beat FSU even if FSU was at full strength. Georgia should have beaten Alabama.

Ohio st is a strange case. Yes, they played without starters Harrison and MChord. But they have ten other 4/5 star receivers who could replace Harrison.

I was surprised at their decision at QB to replace McChord. They elected not to play the QB who started at Oregon st before transferring to OSU and decided to play a true freshman. Their coach said he was looking to the future. With that other qb only being a sophomore, that freshman is never going to play at OSu and they will no doubtedly sign another transfer qb. So playing this freshman is not a look at their future.

How quickly we forget the bashing we got after just a few of our key players opted out of a bowl game. FSU had SEVEN defensive starters not playing, started their third string QB, I believe and had 24 or more of their 85 not dressed to play!

There is no collegiate, interscholastic athletics anymore, they are now professionals. Paid to play by scholarships and NIL money and stay eligible with the use of tutors and attending the right classes. More and more have no desire to attain a meaningful degree just $$$$.

There is no collegiate, interscholastic athletics anymore, they are now professionals. Paid to play by scholarships and NIL money and stay eligible with the use of tutors and attending the right classes. More and more have no desire to attain a meaningful degree just $$$$.
Does anyone flunk out anymore? If so it sure doesn’t happen very often.

Reactions: goboilers2

Yea, the 15 starters out and third string QB had no bearing on the game.
I never said it didn’t…

FSU itself is SOLELY to blame for this debacle; they had a perfect opportunity to show the CFP they were a championship caliber team, but instead a huge contingent of this so-called “elite” squad completely validated the CFP decision by chickening out of the Orange Bowl.

if there is any legitimate desire to prevent this from happening over and over in the future, College football should abandon the fantasy that NIL is not pay-for-play, and allow schools to stipulate that players actually play in their school’s games.

Last edited:
I never said it didn’t…

FSU itself is SOLELY to blame for this debacle; they had a perfect opportunity to show the CFP they were a championship caliber team, but instead they completely validated the CFP decision by chickening out of the Orange Bowl.

if there is any legitimate desire to prevent this from happening over and over in the future,College football should abandon the fantasy that NIL is not pay-for-play, and allow schools to stipulate that players actually play in their school’s games.
They didn't chicken out, they were robbed and then they clearly communicated that the "consolation prize" of a different bowl didn't mean anything. When the opposing coach is implying that the score and result are meaningless, that's saying something.

• Haha
Anyone catch the Reilaquest Bowl ?

LSU and Scoonie are infinitely more deserving of a spot in the CFP than the STFU team from Tallahassee…

They didn't chicken out, they were robbed and then they clearly communicated that the "consolation prize" of a different bowl didn't mean anything. When the opposing coach is implying that the score and result are meaningless, that's saying something.
I’d argue that the “communication” you refer to is anything but “clear” !!

I’m pretty sure I saw the entire FSU coaching staff and many other FSU players on the sideline😉

These defectors completely validated FSU’s exclusion from the CFP, and if I’m an NFL scout, I’m questioning the competitive makeup of every one of these guys….

I’d argue that the “communication” you refer to is anything but “clear” !!

I’m pretty sure I saw the entire FSU coaching staff and many other FSU players on the sideline😉

These defectors completely validated FSU’s exclusion from the CFP, and if I’m an NFL scout, I’m questioning the competitive makeup of every one of these guys….
History has proven the NFL cares more about healthy football players than “competitive makeup.”

The starting Oregon st QB has decided that FSU needs a quarterback for next year. He announced his transfer today.

As for transfers I would think just because a player announces his intention to transfer, he should still be eligible to play for his current team.

As for flunking out, I recall a Heisman trophy candidate running back from a school in Texas that had a 0.00000 GPA for his fall semester but was still allowed to play in their bowl game. I also know of a school that had several players flunk out but allowed them to play in their bowl game. And said that they would lose their eligibility to play once the second semester started and not before. That school, located in a Southern state played their bowl game and won it playing 3-4 players who had flunked out.

Purdue, on the other hand, had ethics and academic standards and integrity!

😂😂😂😂

Such a shame that a hobbled, whining STFU team wasn’t in this Rose Bowl!!!

😂😂😂😂

Such a shame that a hobbled, whining STFU team wasn’t in this Rose Bowl!!!
….. and I want a LOT of what you’re smoking if you honestly believe STFU would stay within two TDs of either UDub or Texas…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT