ADVERTISEMENT

So CMP says EASTERN is being influenced by relatives....

Thinking more about Eastern leaving...

• Someone connected with Nojel has the ear of Howard.
  • This move was discussed with Meetchicken long before Nojel made the announcement.
  • I believe the staff and the AD were complicit in Nojel to Michigan.
  • Mama knew about this three/four weeks ago based on re-reading her posts
  • Nojel has been promised free reign of his offense....drive, dish, shoot when open.
And I will say it now, I believe based on the timelines, though it might never be proven, there may very well have been tampering in this situation.
I can't imagine howard, or any other coach would let someone with the worst shot out of all guards in d1(and just a bad offensive player in general) have free reign over their offense. Unless they were trying to get fired...

I can't imagine howard, or any other coach would let someone with the worst shot out of all guards in d1(and just a bad offensive player in general) have free reign over their offense. Unless they were trying to get fired...

Not to mention tampering.

Suggesting Howard being involved is one thing, suggesting the AD was involved as well in trying to poach a kid who can't shoot or score on top of having to sit out a full year is another absolutely ridiculous.

Reactions: RichardMassive

• This move was discussed with Meetchicken long before Nojel made the announcement.
  • Nojel has been promised free reign of his offense....drive, dish, shoot when open.
And I will say it now, I believe based on the timelines, though it might never be proven, there may very well have been tampering in this situation.

Seems very high risk/low reward for Howard and Michigan. The whole thing doesn't make sense, and I'll be very surprised if it ends well.

Reactions: BBG and IUhaterade
Seems very high risk/low reward for Howard and Michigan. The whole thing doesn't make sense, and I'll be very surprised if it ends well.

I think it's the opposite.

Michigan has 2 available scholarships this year and lose 3 seniors after the 2020-2021 season and it's possible someone like Wagner or Dickinson leaves early. That means they'd be down to 5 or 6 scholarship players for the 2021-2022. Even if those two do stay Michigan, still has 6 available scholarships for that season. At the very worst Eastern doesn't improve his offense and he's a role player with experience on a young team for his remaining year of eligibility. If that's worst case, it's no loss on Michigan. Best case he develops some offensive consistency and regains some confidence and becomes a valuable two-way player. Taking on Eastern doesn't leave them in a scholarship crunch anyway you look at it. It's very low-risk/high-reward from their perspective.

-1979-1980: Asst coach/Admissions director JUCO (SE IL)
-1981: HC Girls HS/neighboring town (SE IL)..taught health
-1982-1985: HC Boys (SE IL same HS)...taught Health
-1986-1993: Asst coach Boys (IPS)...Administrator IPS
-1993-1995: did not coach/administrator (IPS)
-1996-2004: Asst coach Boys (Hamilton Co)/IPS administrator
-2005-2011: Asst AD Hamilton Co (HCC)

I officially “retired” from education and subsequent coaching in 2011 although volunteered until 2015 with various AAU programs. Now I just enjoy being a grandad and conversing with you fine folk.

My son probably knows you! he was an AAU Illinois Bear 2010-2013. Not to be confused with the Illinois Wolves. he's a good friend with all the Smithpeters of Harrisburg, IL and played against Hamilton CO, Il in high school. . And I'm a good friend of Coach Herrin who was a quasi grandfather to my son.

Last edited:
Our mods are reporting that Nojel jumped the gun in going to Social media with the transfer news. This is looked at as a soft pledge and many at Michigan don’t see if ever happening. There are many obstacles for Eastern to overcome (thank God!). We appear to be on the verge of landing Chaundee brown, a top 30 kid from the 2017 class that’s already proven to be a good collegiate player and will more than likely have immediate eligibility

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
oh, bullsh*t.

Like most other topics, there was significant conversation. Agreement, disagreement, and everything in-between. You've called people the equivalent of a fool and been wrong. Big deal. It's what we do here. What utter nonsense.

Bigs, sometimes you're spot on, other times you pull stuff out your arse. This is an example of the latter.

come on say it. I know it's hard for you to say it sometimes. But on this subject, I was spot on !

yes, I've made some other wild speculations, but on this subject I was spot on. and I based my speculations on other players like Stephens and Ewing and Smotherman leaving.

There were several posters who said up to 3 players would be leaving. And they didn't say could. They used the word would! the y posted as if they had inside info. Unlike me, they were not even speculating. I remember that post because I speculated Newman and Dow would be 2 of those 3 players. Part of that speculation was in the redshirt thread. and the other part was in the welcome of Morton and Ivey thread, that certain guards would be looking elsewhere rather than being benched.

and if our moderators hadn't totally deleted about 20+ other threads all involving mama's posts and keeping mama happy on this forum instead of standing up to her, you'd see where many others predicted eastern would transfer. Even mama said he was leaving 2 years ago, when she got very sad after a loss. and then retracted what she said, and implied it was only made in a moment of passion. I called it BS, and that no poster should have special protection, and the thread was deleted. if I don't get protected from harassment here, mama shouldn't have either. she flat out said after his freshmen year not to expect him to return. Unfortunately that thread was deleted fast. but many of us remember it and how it was started. Somebody made a comment about his FT shooting form and to work on it over the Summer. and mama exploded.

Like I said, if the mods hadn't deleted so many threads because of mama, you'd be able to easily find the post and poster who said up to three players would be leaving.

I couldn’t have said it better. Howard is making his own bed in the BIG. This won’t go unnoticed by his fellow coaches. Tampering with kids already on scholarship at another school is very dishonest, and might cross some NCAA rules. Not that UM hasn’t done that before.

My son knows you! he was an AAU Illinois Bear. Not to be confused with the Illinois Wolves. he's a good friend with all the Smithpeters of Harrisburg. And I'm a good friend of Coach Herrin who was a quasi grandfather to my son.

I assume you're talking about Rich?? That's a name from the past. Great human being as was his brother Ron who I had the pleasure of working alongside. Died way too young. Great people who really helped me in a lot of my endeavors. Had no familiarity with that part of the country when I first took a job at Olney right out of college.

I assume you're talking about Rich?? That's a name from the past. Great human being as was his brother Ron who I had the pleasure of working alongside. Died way too young. Great people who really helped me in a lot of my endeavors. Had no familiarity with that part of the country when I first took a job at Olney right out of college.

Rich goes to my church. I'm not native to the area, so I never knew he was a famous basketball coach. I just knew him as being a great guy. He and his wife are in my adult Sunday school class. his grandson and my son are best friends. And Rich sort of took my son under his wings and on many basketball and other adventures.

Rich goes to my church. I'm not native to the area, so I never knew he was a famous basketball coach. I just knew him as being a great guy. He and his wife are in my adult Sunday school class. his grandson and my son are best friends. And Rich sort of took my son under his wings and on many basketball and other adventures.

Longtime coach at SIU. His brother Ron was the best. Died in 97 if I remember correctly.

I couldn’t have said it better. Howard is making his own bed in the BIG. This won’t go unnoticed by his fellow coaches. Tampering with kids already on scholarship at another school is very dishonest, and might cross some NCAA rules. Not that UM hasn’t done that before.
Not a big deal. As long as NCAA can't/won't Do anything meaningful to the Louisvilles, Kansas and Dukes tampering isn't even worth mentioning. It is the wild wild west if you're a big boy.

come on say it. I know it's hard for you to say it sometimes. But on this subject, I was spot on !

yes, I've made some other wild speculations, but on this subject I was spot on. and I based my speculations on other players like Stephens and Ewing and Smotherman leaving.

There were several posters who said up to 3 players would be leaving. And they didn't say could. They used the word would! the y posted as if they had inside info. Unlike me, they were not even speculating. I remember that post because I speculated Newman and Dow would be 2 of those 3 players. Part of that speculation was in the redshirt thread. and the other part was in the welcome of Morton and Ivey thread, that certain guards would be looking elsewhere rather than being benched.

and if our moderators hadn't totally deleted about 20+ other threads all involving mama's posts and keeping mama happy on this forum instead of standing up to her, you'd see where many others predicted eastern would transfer. Even mama said he was leaving 2 years ago, when she got very sad after a loss. and then retracted what she said, and implied it was only made in a moment of passion. I called it BS, and that no poster should have special protection, and the thread was deleted. if I don't get protected from harassment here, mama shouldn't have either. she flat out said after his freshmen year not to expect him to return. Unfortunately that thread was deleted fast. but many of us remember it and how it was started. Somebody made a comment about his FT shooting form and to work on it over the Summer. and mama exploded.

Like I said, if the mods hadn't deleted so many threads because of mama, you'd be able to easily find the post and poster who said up to three players would be leaving.

Okay, I'll say it: you're full of bullsh*t.

At best you guess. At worst, you... well, I won't say it.

You have ZERO inside information. You don't know a d@mn thing more than most others posting here. And, when people posting here DO know more than you, you want to argue with them.

Not a good look, Bigs.

FWIW, this site is reporting that Howard did not reach out to Nojel until after he entered the portal, and that Nojel committed after one phone call. TBH, that sounds like a very Treed thing to do, so it makes sense.

I think it's the opposite.

Michigan has 2 available scholarships this year and lose 3 seniors after the 2020-2021 season and it's possible someone like Wagner or Dickinson leaves early. That means they'd be down to 5 or 6 scholarship players for the 2021-2022. Even if those two do stay Michigan, still has 6 available scholarships for that season. At the very worst Eastern doesn't improve his offense and he's a role player with experience on a young team for his remaining year of eligibility. If that's worst case, it's no loss on Michigan. Best case he develops some offensive consistency and regains some confidence and becomes a valuable two-way player. Taking on Eastern doesn't leave them in a scholarship crunch anyway you look at it. It's very low-risk/high-reward from their perspective.

Talking more so if any rules were actually broken.

FWIW, this site is reporting that Howard did not reach out to Nojel until after he entered the portal, and that Nojel committed after one phone call. TBH, that sounds like a very Treed thing to do, so it makes sense.
I think this is more likely to be what happened than Howard tampering in any way.

She was probably on the call as well and committed FOR Nojel.

My guess, they (and maybe his mama) see him as a meal ticket which wasn't happening at Purdue. I've supported him all his time at PU, but right now after reading the article, I could care less if he ever sniffs even a D League game. The coach in me is a bit pissed with that attitude.

He's listening to the wrong people.

I don't think it's even that. You don't go on a message board replying to 100% of posts that even reference your son just because you're looking for a meal ticket. This is just helicopter parent 101.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I don't think it's even that. You don't go on a message board replying to 100% of posts that even reference your son just because you're looking for a meal ticket. This is just helicopter parent 101.
I have to take the other side on this. There is little doubt in my mind when reading her posts over the past few years he was to be her meal ticket. She talked about her struggles in life as a bus driver raising her son without the father figure. I think twin is spot on with his belief.

I have to take the other side on this. There is little doubt in my mind when reading her posts over the past few years he was to be her meal ticket. She talked about her struggles in life as a bus driver raising her son without the father figure. I think twin is spot on with his belief.
hence the pressure perhaps? Whatever...it is done. I hope it is not as bad as many believe it might be for him...

As I said, I've supported Eastern throughout. And he has to do what he's comfortable with. But I don't like this one at all....maybe because it's Michigan.
I think it’s a conditional offer based on immediate eligibility. If the waiver goes thru, he plays at Michigan. If not, off to Europe.

fully understand, but the kid is lost and for his sake I hope he has a good life. Mature body, but not such much perhaps elsewhere...
If this were an assignment in critical thinking and I was grading it ... I'd line-out your word "perhaps." Don't minimize reality ... just state the obvious.

Reactions: tjreese
I might have been a LITTLE more mature at 20 or 21 than Nojel is...but not much.
I had lost two close friends who were fighting in Vietnam, was married with a pregnant wife and had one semester to go to graduate, but needed 21 credits. I took 24 hours with 9 pass-fail. Had a 7:30 tue/thurs/sat morning class. Got my report-for-physical from the draft board 14 days before graduation. TImes were different then ... 18 year olds were being killed in Vietnam ... 18 year olds were marching across the bridge in Salem Alabama ... 18 year olds were being shot on the campus of Kent State.

I had lost two close friends who were fighting in Vietnam, was married with a pregnant wife and had one semester to go to graduate, but needed 21 credits. I took 24 hours with 9 pass-fail. Had a 7:30 tue/thurs/sat morning class. Got my report-for-physical from the draft board 14 days before graduation. TImes were different then ... 18 year olds were being killed in Vietnam ... 18 year olds were marching across the bridge in Salem Alabama ... 18 year olds were being shot on the campus of Kent State.
Times were a LOT different...even just a decade ago...

Reactions: SKYDOG and Purdue85
Hell I'm 68 and still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up!

Brother.....I been there.....

Anton_Chigurh_Kills_Farmer_Remove_the_Chickens_-_No_Country_for_Old_Men_2007_-_Movie_Clip_HD_Scene-min.gif

Reactions: tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT