ADVERTISEMENT

SI article

Understand your point, and don't disagree with it completely.

I would love to see this team go on a run and get to a FF. Reality is, people will still say the same thing: if Painter doesn't win a NC, recruiting will not keep getting stronger.

People keep complaining about a lack of success in March, yet recruiting keeps getting stronger.

I have no crystal ball, however I do know Painter is regarded as one of the nation's top coaches, a quality guy running a quality program, one of the best programs, and a top environment in which to play.

If he doesn't win a NC people are still going to use the same cudgels.
Honestly, I don't expect him to win a NC. I'd just love to see deeper runs in March and become more consistent as a national power. I think he's making a good run with improvement in recruiting. And I respect him greatly as a coach. Hopefully this team will make a run to the FF...

Honestly, I don't expect him to win a NC. I'd just love to see deeper runs in March and become more consistent as a national power. I think he's making a good run with improvement in recruiting. And I respect him greatly as a coach. Hopefully this team will make a run to the FF...
Good comments.

It sounds like he's giving you what you want.

An elite 8...
A #1 ranking...
Really, really good recruiting classes...

In other words, the program is doing nothing but trending up.

No FF yet, and he's still got a good 15+ years in him, if he has the energy and interest in going that long.

Sometimes, these tournament runs come out of nowhere. In 1980, Purdue was 11-7 and third place in a tough big 10. I attended the first two games of the NCAA. Nobody was thinking about a deep run. We were just happy to be in the tournament because the 2 team limit per conference was changed that year. I thought we were better in 1979 with a BIG championship but the 3 way tie left us the odd team out.
A lot of teams have played poorly in the 1st 2 rounds, but survived, only to catch fire in the sweet 16 and beyond. Playing well "down the stretch" often means the last two weekends, not the last month and a half. Let's survive this weekend and see what happens.

Sometimes, these tournament runs come out of nowhere. In 1980, Purdue was 11-7 and third place in a tough big 10. I attended the first two games of the NCAA. Nobody was thinking about a deep run. We were just happy to be in the tournament because the 2 team limit per conference was changed that year. I thought we were better in 1979 with a BIG championship but the 3 way tie left us the odd team out.
A lot of teams have played poorly in the 1st 2 rounds, but survived, only to catch fire in the sweet 16 and beyond. Playing well "down the stretch" often means the last two weekends, not the last month and a half. Let's survive this weekend and see what happens.

I do like Purdue's chances better if they get to the second weekend. And, you never know when a bracket-buster may appear. We shall see.

Same with respect to close second...I just want to see them play for a National Championship...no idea if it will ever happen, as, it seems a lot like that desperate chase that the Cubs had for so long, and admittedly, I never thought that I would see that...and I am incredibly thankful that I did.

I got to see Purdue in a Rose Bowl...saw the Bears win a Super Bowl...saw the Colts win a Super Bowl...saw the Bulls win multiple times...saw the Pacers in a NBA Finals...Cubs as I said...Blackhawks...so I have been fortunate admittedly...I watched Purdue in '80, but, I was too young to really appreciate it, and, never would have imagined that they would never get back.

I am surprised that they have THAT many plays, admittedly...again, more so in that they were a motion-based offense in large part, and, in that they just seem to run a lot of the same stuff....but, again, some of that is a product of who they have.

I will say, that with this group in particular...where focus and concentration have been identified as an issue...not sure that it is ideal to have so much, but again, maybe they have those things available but just use a portion of it.

I know when I was at a practice earlier this year that they introduced a new inbounds play from under their bucket...literally, they have run said play one time...so, that kind of goes to the point that said play exists...but, it is not something that they have used or gone to more than literally one time that I can remember.
And the White Sox in 2005. Not all Purdue fans are Cubs fans.

Understand your point, and don't disagree with it completely.

I would love to see this team go on a run and get to a FF. Reality is, people will still say the same thing: if Painter doesn't win a NC, recruiting will not keep getting stronger.

People keep complaining about a lack of success in March, yet recruiting keeps getting stronger.

I have no crystal ball, however I do know Painter is regarded as one of the nation's top coaches, a quality guy running a quality program, one of the best programs, and a top environment in which to play.

If he doesn't win a NC people are still going to use the same cudgels.
He needs to at least get us to a final four. I think that's the main issue. If players get injured then it's understandable if we don't make it. Look at Hummel and Haas. This team is healthy going into the tournament. One of the most talented teams Painter has ever had. So no excuses this year honestly. The pieces are here. Keep It and SS off the floor as much unless SS is really hot.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Purdue, without question, has had bad luck.

At the same time, to some extent...at least at some point(s), you have to generate some luck as well. Losing to N. Texas had nothing to do with bad luck...getting routed by Kansas a few years ago at a time that Purdue had a roster littered with professional talent had nothing to do with bad luck.
That Kansas team was just more talented than ours. 5 NBA players, and 4 of them are still in the NBA. (No one currently in the NBA from the Purdue team)

And Josh Jackson was bought and paid for by adidas... THAT’S unlucky.

Reactions: DAG10 and mathboy
He needs to at least get us to a final four. I think that's the main issue. If players get injured then it's understandable if we don't make it. Look at Hummel and Haas. This team is healthy going into the tournament. One of the most talented teams Painter has ever had. So no excuses this year honestly. The pieces are here. Keep It and SS off the floor as much unless SS is really hot.
Okay... then what? What does a FF do for a coach? (Archie Miller and Tom Crean say, "hello!")

Again... a FF does little, except spur on the people who are (seemingly) always looking for something to complain about.

And the White Sox in 2005. Not all Purdue fans are Cubs fans.
Agree and know it, and, while more a Cubs fan, I grew up a fan of both, and, actually was a way bigger White Sox fan for a period of time...I still like the Sox, and, appreciate what they have done and are trying to do way more so than the Cubs right now. Admittedly, my moving on had a lot to do with Reinsdorf...the lockout...the white flag trades that broke up not just a talented team, but, one that was at least on paper still in contention...and, the breakup of the Bulls as well.

That said...the Sox did not have the drought of futility that the Cubs did, and, frankly, I thought the Cubs would never win a World Series...probably not even get there...and, wondering now if it will ever happen again.

Sox had a long drought also, but, not like the Cubs.

Reactions: DrEss
The only thing missing in that thorough review of the trials and tribulations of Purdue basketball in the NCAA tournament was the Boilers having to play Memphis State in Memphis in 1984, and LSU in Baton Rouge in 1986.

To play advocatus diaboli regarding CMP's extensive playbook: Is it overkill on his part? I understand his desire to keep the opponents guessing, but are all the plays and counters and counter-counters too much?

So often this season -- as just one example -- I have seen Gillis wave or point Ivey in a different direction during a play. Ivey himself admitted to botching the play against OSU (for which he obviously made up immediately). It would be fascinating to watch game film with CMP to see how often this happens with all of the guys and if it's a matter of confusion.

Perhaps it's a matter of a lack of concentration/poor decision-making that seems to plague this particular squad. So I wonder if the playbook that is like that of a football team's is information overload and not conducive to this team's make-up.

Also, the playbook is likely way too nuanced to my amateur eye, but it appears that the Boilers run a lot of the same stuff each game, particularly the first possession play where Sasha gets the ball on the left wing and throws the entry to Zach. Maybe I am answering the thought in the above paragraph, and the playbook has been tightened up.

At any rate, intriguing read that did contain a few gut-punches.
You are spot on in adding the 1984 and 1986 game locations to the list of tournament "trials and tribulations," Prof. E. What was doubly troubling about both of those games was that Purdue was the higher seed. In '84 Purdue (a 3 seed) played Memphis (a 6 seed) on their home court. In '86 Purdue (a 6 seed) played LSU (an 11 seed on their home court).

Everyone believes Purdue has the talent to have been better in the games to date, and to ultimately reach the FF. But along the lines of the last few posts, is this talent only physical?
Yes. Apparently so.

ADVERTISEMENT