ADVERTISEMENT

Shout out to Drew Brees! "Gratitude, humility and respect"

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
I'm 13 years older than Drew and I'm still impressed with both his game and his public appearances.
If I ever need a refreshing piece of news, I search for recent Drew Brees articles. When he retires, I'll be both sad and happy. Sad to see him go in Football knowing that I won't have too many more years of watching it as it won't be the same (unless Rondale Moore draws me back in...I digress). Happy to know that he'll likely be a leader of another Organization somewhere.
http://www.espn.com/video/clip/clip?id=27164324

I was on a flight that so happened to have Franco Harris on it. That cat does not like Drew at all.

But yes nice to see a successful Boilermaker. Especially one giving back to our alma mater

I was on a flight that so happened to have Franco Harris on it. That cat does not like Drew at all.

But yes nice to see a successful Boilermaker. Especially one giving back to our alma mater

I always like Franco, but this calls his judgement into question for me.

As to Drew, there's not a d@mn thing NOT to like. He's a gentleman, a competitor, and plays the game the "right" way (never about himself, always about the team, always respectful).

I'm wondering if Franco was pulling someone's chain...

Reactions: GGT
Image too squeaky clean?? I have no idea why people wouldn’t like Drew (other than if he is beating you). Even then, I think most people would appreciate his competitiveness.

As to Drew, there's not a d@mn thing NOT to like. He's a gentleman, a competitor, and plays the game the "right" way (never about himself, always about the team, always respectful).

I don’t like his Twitter. Mainly cuz he hasn’t met a product he won’t endorse

Reactions: pboiler18
So what... a man has to strike while the iron or star recognition is still hot. Plus he has a lot of kids to get thru Purdue in the future
I would do the exact same. Doesn’t mean I want to read it

Apparently Drew said some things about retirees. Didn’t sit well with some.

drama.

For such a tough sport, some have some really thin skin.
Yeah, if it had to do with retiree pension and health care rights, I would understand. The players from before the 80s have gotten the short end of the stick several times over and I don’t blame them for being unhappy.

they got what they agreed to.

If they're unhappy, be unhappy with themselves.
Well we are armed with a lot more information now that wasn't available at the time. It would be good business to work with the retired players to ensure they can get the healthcare they need.

I mean Junior Seau did a lot for the game and could have used the help if we had understood the need.

Well we are armed with a lot more information now that wasn't available at the time. It would be good business to work with the retired players to ensure they can get the healthcare they need.

I mean Junior Seau did a lot for the game and could have used the help if we had understood the need.
of course we have more info today than we did in, say, 1980.
Doesn't really change the point.

of course we have more info today than we did in, say, 1980.
Doesn't really change the point.
The issue is that retired players arent at the table when the items are being negotiated. Several prominent retirees are trying to change that.

Frankly, im astounded that the players union let Upshaw run that thing for so long. They are still trying to undo his mess.

Franco would be wise to leverage with Drew at the table "IF" Drew stays around for another contract negotiation. While all those players were active NFL players, they lived much better than 99% of the rest of he US population in terms of wages & standard of living.
Here is my soap box comment,"I played football from Little League thru High School & baseball + basketball". I had knee surgery my Jr. year during the season. Was fortunate to rehabilitate in time to play for baseball season and had a breakout year. My last and final season wasn't what I & teammates would have hoped as we muddled thru a .500 season. I had a cleanup surgery in 2008 and still have some lingering affects of soreness in that knee. Ask me if I'd do it again, the answer would be easy, YES".
I don't feel sorry for NFL players, they are Gladiators and get paid handsomely doing so...even back in the old days. The question: Are you taking care of yourself after retiring from the sport? Take care of your body so it takes care of you. I suspect a majority of players are not doing that and let eating habits + lack of exercise to control weight making them obese and unhappy. There is no doubt some have had lingering affects from medical surgeries. Should the NFL take care of those that put it on the line for them? With the success the league has had, YES they should to show they care. Roger Goodell is getting $45 M a year for not much effort to keep owners happy. Find a way to put recorded injured players into a medical protocol for retirement. It is likely better to do that vs. fighting class action lawsuits where a few slick attorneys get rich by finding new language to chase the NFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue85
Franco would be wise to leverage with Drew at the table "IF" Drew stays around for another contract negotiation. Don't be pissed with a few words, be happy with the result of the contract. BTW, while all those players were active NFL players, they lived much better than 99% of the rest of he US population in terms of wages & standard of living.
Here is my soap box comment,"I played football from Little League thru High School & baseball + basketball". I had knee surgery my Jr. year during the season. Was fortunate to rehabilitate in time to play for baseball season and had a breakout year. My last and final season wasn't what I & teammates would have hoped as we muddled thru a .500 season. I had a cleanup surgery in 2008 and still have some lingering affects of soreness in that knee. Ask me if I'd do it again, the answer would be easy, YES".
I don't feel sorry for NFL players, they are Gladiators and get paid handsomely doing so...even back in the old days. The question: Are you taking care of yourself after retiring from the sport? Take care of your body so it takes care of you. I suspect a majority of players are not doing that and let eating habits + lack of exercise to control weight making them obese and unhappy. There is no doubt some have had lingering affects from medical surgeries. Should the NFL take care of those that put it on the line for them? With the success the league has had, YES they should to show they care. Roger Goodell is getting $45 M a year for not much effort to keep owners happy. Find a way to put recorded injured players into a medical protocol for retirement. It is likely better to do that vs. fighting class action lawsuits where a few slick attorneys get rich by finding new language to chase the NFL.
mostly agree with pretty much all of what you wrote. Spot on.

All athletes assume responsibility for their own bodies, injuries and the lasting effects of the sport(s) they chose ... especially those who chose to play for money.

It's absurd to expect the organization who paid you to now pony up additional money to take care of you, simply because said organization is now much, MUCH more profitable than when you were employed.

I'm a compassionate person, so of course I have sympathy. Those athletes chose their profession. It's not like it should be a surprise that there would be lasting (and debilitating) effects from such a violent sport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT