ADVERTISEMENT

Shoop

nat100

All-American
Apr 22, 2007
Thought John Shoop did an astounding job to find a way to make us successful when we struggled so much early. -Burke

So is the presumption here that Danny Anthrop really is the next Calvin Johnson and once he was gone we were destined to fall off a cliff? The offense was horrific in the last month.

Re: Shoop Successful definition....

by Burke is tripping the light fantastic IMHO. We struggled early, late, and in the middle. I can't believe MB is so out of touch with reality.

His comments address this. We clearly and terribly lacked any kind of vertical passing game. Neither DE nor AA could complete a deep pass accurately to save their lives.

Not only that but both were really terrible with ball security and interceptions. You can be an inaccurate thrower and still win if you know how to take care of the football. Neither of QBs had that this year. I don't know if Shoop or anyone can do much about it when both options make the same mistakes.

I don't think Shoop did awesome but I think there's enough there to give him another year. We had a pretty good showing against Illinois, MSU and Minny until we lost some key guys. Our OL performed above expectations. I think our RBs really did well considering the lack of our passing game. I think we need some consistency in this program at this point.

Just as a disclaimer, I don't quite know if Hazell and co. are the right people to take us out of the B1G basement yet. But I don't think we have a choice right now. And I think having the same coaches should help going forward instead of rolling the dice again with a new OC.

Originally posted by boiler_pride:
His comments address this. We clearly and terribly lacked any kind of vertical passing game. Neither DE nor AA could complete a deep pass accurately to save their lives.

Not only that but both were really terrible with ball security and interceptions. You can be an inaccurate thrower and still win if you know how to take care of the football. Neither of QBs had that this year. I don't know if Shoop or anyone can do much about it when both options make the same mistakes.

I don't think Shoop did awesome but I think there's enough there to give him another year. We had a pretty good showing against Illinois, MSU and Minny until we lost some key guys. Our OL performed above expectations. I think our RBs really did well considering the lack of our passing game. I think we need some consistency in this program at this point.

Just as a disclaimer, I don't quite know if Hazell and co. are the right people to take us out of the B1G basement yet. But I don't think we have a choice right now. And I think having the same coaches should help going forward instead of rolling the dice again with a new OC.
Not fighting, just pointing out. Both Etling and Appleby started out throwing decent deep balls at the beginning of their starting days. Perhaps he cant make it better, but he can make it worse.

Originally posted by boiler17:

Originally posted by boiler_pride:

Not fighting, just pointing out. Both Etling and Appleby started out throwing decent deep balls at the beginning of their starting days. Perhaps he cant make it better, but he can make it worse.

Agree. If Shoop were decent, we wouldn't have regressed through the end of the year. Yes, we had some injuries. That doesn't really explain why our run game went from high powered to non-existent!

Defenses adjusted and we kept doing what we were doing.

Regression of offensive players seems to be a recurrent them over the two years of the Shoop regime. Players get on the field, show flashes of talent, then become poorer with increased playing time. Seems to me the mad genius is not able to sustain player development.

Speaking of defense -- as noted in last weekend's "Shoop" thread -- this goes way beyond one coordinator. Our defense has allowed more points in the past two years than any time before, an average of 34.8 points per game. That's hideous.

Both coordinators should be re-assigned, if not released. And we sure could use some fresh blood and higher shooting in recruiting, because the status quo isn't getting it done there, either.

As for Anthrop, for the two weeks after he got hurt, he still ranked fourth in the Big Ten in both receptions and receiving yards per game for conference play. He was dropped from the league stats after everyone else had played seven games -- he played in six -- which also cost him all-conference consideration.

For us, he was a lot more important than Calvin Johnson. Aside from him and Sinz, everyone else had hands of stone. Moreover, most of those throws through November couldn't have been dug up by Yadi Molina.

Whether it's Shoop or not, one thing I know is both Etling and Appleby started out pretty darn accurate at passing and both have regressed to where it looks like neither played a game in their life! So, something is happening. Coaching?

what's weird about Shoop is his brother is the DC at psu and before the msu game they led the country in rush defense.

Despite the fact that our PPG was +9, we had 2 RB's who rushed for more yds this season than anybody last year, we put up 38 on Minny, and 30 on MSU, and Anthrop was probably on his way to some level of All B1G honor, and his loss devastated the receiving corps...nobody seems to think we are improved. You guys must not have watched any of those 44-7 and 56-0 games that I saw last year (but were not there this year). This year we were within a TD of MSU with less than 3 minutes to go. Losing the last 6 in a row was clearly a step back, but we won 3 times as many games this year and no matter what kind of modern math you are using that is 3 times more than last year. And to score 9 more PPG is another clear improvement. Those offensive game plans against ILL, MINN & MSU were awesome, unfortunately we lost Anthrop and Knauf for the year. Anthrop was having a huge year. Without the fast guys who hang onto the passes it was easy to catch up with the schemes we used.

We won't win 3 times as many games next year. Progress from this point forward is going to get exponentially tougher.

Originally posted by PaBoiler78:
what's weird about Shoop is his brother is the DC at psu and before the msu game they led the country in rush defense.
What's weird about Crean is that his brother-in-laws are outstanding NFL coaches and their sister's husband couldn't coach his ass out of a hatbox. Apples and oranges. Just because one brother is good doesn't mean the other one is great. On the other hand you may be on to something. Shoop's brother is a great defensive coordinator and John Shoop's offenses are a friend to opposing defenses.

The entire Burke press conference is a real mind blower. Only in Purdue's alternative universe does the AD congratulate the coaching staff on a 3-9 year. Sadly, the university should be a mecca for both academics and athletics as it is perfectly situated between the 2 most vibrant cities in the Midwest. Unfortunately, the leadership is just wrong for the times. We need men of vision and we are stuck with green eye shade guys. Ugh!

What do you mean? They both seem pretty good at slowing down offenses

Originally posted by JBoiler14:
What do you mean? They both seem pretty good at slowing down offenses
+1 lol

I thought the only saving grace of going 3-9 and tanking vs. 2 teams that were as bad or maybe even worse than we actually showed through the first 8 or so games was that they would can Shoop.

I just can't believe they can see anything positive in the direction the offense is headed. I think if Drew Brees were our QB now, he would take a look at the playbook, chuckle and make his own.

nat100-that Burke comment really sums up how clueless he is..........First of all, against our early opponents, we shouldn't have been struggling much at all!!!!!!!!!!That's why most schedule the MAC'S and DII early in the season to pad wins and stats.

The thing that's bugging me lately is USF just fired both their OC and DC after going 4-8. Taggart took over in 2013 (same as Hazell) went 2-10, fired the OC he brought with him from WKU after that season. This season their new OC (former Washington St HC and NFL assistant Paul Wulff) was brought in, didn't pan out and they got rid of him. Wulff actually helped USF average 40 more yards a game this season and double their TDs from 2013.

Why are we allowing a guy who's proved to command a putrid offense (Shoop) to stay employed? USF (a team we should never be compared to) sees that what they have isn't working, why not find something that is. Hazell though seems content on letting lackluster, below averaged results stay the norm in WL.

ADVERTISEMENT