ADVERTISEMENT

Shades of 1988

Indiana fans might want to rethink getting into a pissing match over embarrassing losses in the NCAA Tournament.
I seem to recall a little team called Cleveland State. Nobody had ever heard of them until... they took out big bad bobby's team in the first round of the NCAA's. So much fun! Almost as bad as MSU losing in the first round with the NPOY Valentine. Also funny, but it show how random the outcomes are in the tourney.

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
I seem to recall a little team called Cleveland State. Nobody had ever heard of them until... they took out big bad bobby's team in the first round of the NCAA's. So much fun! Almost as bad as MSU losing in the first round with the NPOY Valentine. Also funny, but it show how random the outcomes are in the tourney.
1986 (I still see IU struggling with the press) and Syracuse quickly come to mind. People forget when some chosen teams played on the other team’s court like Barkley and Person at Auburn, Memphis @ Memphis and so on. Crapshoot. Most these kids have little to no background other than what they have been fed. VCU went to final four (Robbie injured) ST Peters beat Kentucky before the Purdue loss.

Last edited:
1986 (I still see IU struggling with the press) and Syracuse quickly come to mind. People forget when some chosen teams played on the other team’s court like Barkley and Person at Auburn, Memphis @ Memphis and so on. Crapshoot. Most these kids have little to no background other than what they have been fed. VCU went to final four (Robbie injured) ST Peters beat Kentucky before the Purdue loss.
The Auburn game was in 1985 at the Athletic and Convocation Center at Notre Dame. Purdue played LSU at LSU in 1986, though. In both the Memphis and LSU cases, Purdue was also the higher seed forced to play on an opponent's home court.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: tjreese and Schnelk
The Auburn game was in 1985 at the Athletic and Convocation Center at Notre Dame. Purdue played LSU at LSU in 1986, though. In both the Memphis and LSU cases, Purdue was also the higher seed forced to play on an opponent's home court.
Thanks just remember Purdue playing teams on their court...something the younger people wouldn't know something other main teams did not do.

Thanks just remember Purdue playing teams on their court...something the younger people wouldn't know something other main teams did not do.
That was absolutely crazy. It’s hard enough in the tournament and then throw them on the home court of the opponent. I think we had the B1G champ with Rowinski playing at Memphis. Then a good team with young TNT at LSU.

PURDUE IS STILL #1 in the AP AND Coaches Poll...like I said they would be on Saturday after the loss. Pollsters yawned off the loss to IU.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjreese
I would expect Purdue may have #1 votes, but I'd be shocked if they remained at the top. They may only slip to #2, but Houston will be #1 come Monday I expect - that's just based on what the voters usually do.

With Virginia, Kansas State, and Kansas State all losing this week, I think the top 5 teams will be the same but the order will change as Tennessee also lost this week...just guessing here (and probably not a lot of separation in total points):

Houston
Alabama
Purdue
Arizona
Tennessee

Long way to go, and the Boilers are in really good shape in the conference and NCAA-tournament resume wise. Still, they have work to do and need to finish strong:

Iowa
@ Northwestern
@ Maryland (unbeaten in conference at home this year)
Ohio State
Indiana
@ Wisconsin
Illinois
Oh ye of little faith.

Oh ye of little faith.

OK, I was w..... I was wr.......I was wro......

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT