ADVERTISEMENT

Shades of 1988

Apr 1, 2019
So much like the game in 1988 at Bloomington.
Purdue was 17-1 with a 16-game win streak and ranked #2. IU took a 52-37 halftime lead. Purdue actually took the lead late, but Todd Mitchell missed the front-end of a one-and-one with about a minute to go. Dean Garrett scored the last of his 30 points to regain the lead for IU with around ten seconds left. Ended up losing 82-79.

No worries. I’m confident Purdue will bury them in WL. Just don’t let this game have a hangover effect. (BTW, Purdue will still be # 1, I’m betting. So, IU will not get that satisfaction.)

Who do you think will pass them? Houston? I think that Purdue’s resume is still much stronger.
The computers love Houston. Either them or Zona depending on how they do against OSU. The polls don't matter though, Purdue just needs to tighten things up in between now and March for a favorable seed.

Reactions: RBryant311
Purdue was 17-1 with a 16-game win streak and ranked #2. IU took a 52-37 halftime lead. Purdue actually took the lead late, but Todd Mitchell missed the front-end of a one-and-one with about a minute to go. Dean Garrett scored the last of his 30 points to regain the lead for IU with around ten seconds left. Ended up losing 82-79.

No worries. I’m confident Purdue will bury them in WL. Just don’t let this game have a hangover effect. (BTW, Purdue will still be # 1, I’m betting. So, IU will not get that satisfaction.)
Doubt you’ll stay at #1. Also foubt

You’ll absolutely not be #1 come Monday. I think it’ll be a different game in Mackey though.

The computers love Houston. Either them or Zona depending on how they do against OSU. The polls don't matter though, Purdue just needs to tighten things up in between now and March for a favorable seed.
Purdue is in great shape for a #1 seed.

The computers that love Houston are the predictive algorithms that are score based like KenPom, BPI, and Sagarin. Purdue does much better in resume comparisons because it plays in a much tougher conference. Either could be #1 assuming Houston beats Temple, but I think that Purdue edges them out.

Reactions: Hoosier_buckmaster
You may be right. Losing to IU is a very embarrassing loss.
Well, this is just a bs reply, and we both know it. Both programs have had great back and forth since we’ve both been alive.
To try to cheapen the rivalry by saying it’s embarrassing for either team to lose to a other is disingenuous, at best (especially considering both teams were ranked, and IU was 1 point favorite.
Replies like yours just highlight the worst of fans from ether side.

Purdue is in great shape for a #1 seed.

The computers that love Houston are the predictive algorithms that are score based like KenPom, BPI, and Sagarin. Purdue does much better in resume comparisons because it plays in a much tougher conference. Either could be #1 assuming Houston beats Temple, but I think that Purdue edges them out.
Hard to see how you’re not a #1, if not the overall #1 if Purdue just keeps playing their game.
I think a teams that pressure Purdue’s guards will be your biggest challenge.

Well, this is just a bs reply, and we both know it. Both programs have had great back and forth since we’ve both been alive.
To try to cheapen the rivalry by saying it’s embarrassing for either team to lose to a other is disingenuous, at best (especially considering both teams were ranked, and IU was 1 point favorite.
Somebody got their feelings all hurt.

Get off your high horse. You were the only person to take their reply seriously.

Purdue ain't gonna be #1

Who do you think will pass them? Houston? I think that Purdue’s resume is still much stronger.

I would expect Purdue may have #1 votes, but I'd be shocked if they remained at the top. They may only slip to #2, but Houston will be #1 come Monday I expect - that's just based on what the voters usually do.

With Virginia, Kansas State, and Kansas State all losing this week, I think the top 5 teams will be the same but the order will change as Tennessee also lost this week...just guessing here (and probably not a lot of separation in total points):

Houston
Alabama
Purdue
Arizona
Tennessee

Long way to go, and the Boilers are in really good shape in the conference and NCAA-tournament resume wise. Still, they have work to do and need to finish strong:

Iowa
@ Northwestern
@ Maryland (unbeaten in conference at home this year)
Ohio State
Indiana
@ Wisconsin
Illinois

I would expect Purdue may have #1 votes, but I'd be shocked if they remained at the top. They may only slip to #2, but Houston will be #1 come Monday I expect - that's just based on what the voters usually do.

With Virginia, Kansas State, and Kansas State all losing this week, I think the top 5 teams will be the same but the order will change as Tennessee also lost this week...just guessing here (and probably not a lot of separation in total points):

Houston
Alabama
Purdue
Arizona
Tennessee

Long way to go, and the Boilers are in really good shape in the conference and NCAA-tournament resume wise. Still, they have work to do and need to finish strong:

Iowa
@ Northwestern
@ Maryland (unbeaten in conference at home this year)
Ohio State
Indiana
@ Wisconsin
Illinois
Smart post. I think the ranking will be either that or:

1. Houston
2. Purdue
3. Bama
4. Zona
5. Tenn

Unless Zona just really impresses tonight - in which case they may jump to 2.

@Maryland, IU at WL, and @Wisky are the games to circle on the calendar.

LOL - you really did walk right into that one.

Reactions: Boiler8285

I thought Purdue loss by 11 there and won at home by 11, but I haven’t looked it up

Purdue should still be #1. Was at the above mentioned game in ‘88. You are correct. Very similar to yesterday how those 2 games played out.

Reactions: KenTre1983
There are a lot of games in between now and the seeding. Guard play has to tighten up!
Ok,

2 losses on a team that guard play has been the second biggest factor to our winning. Guard play will have games like this, just like TJD against Kansas & Arizona.

Wow, that is eerily similar. I had forgotten about that game. Hope this season doesn't end with another Mitch Richmond debacle in the S16.

They got the number of points Garrett scored wrong, but otherwise good. You might be thinking about 1987.

1988 PU @ IU
It was in 1988 when Purdue fell behind big time in the first half but rallied to take the lead in the second,only to lose in the end.That was on a Saturday in Bloomington then the rematch was at Mackey on a Sunday and Purdue won,with RMK getting a technical somewhere along the way.In 87 IU won at Bloomington in a game where Purdue missed too many free throws by 11 points,then Purdue took the rematch at Mackey by 11.According to many IU fans I knew then,the refs screwed the Hoosiers out of both games at Mackey.So with Indiana winning yesterday at least IU fans cant whine about how the officials took the win away from them.

lolol. You silly boilers already banking on a number 1 seed. The classic boiler choke (not what I did to your wife) is coming up. Have you guys ever made it to a final 4?

Really amazing how a big ten school located in such a basketball rich state as Indiana has never won the ncaa title.
And its amazing how most IU fans I know are great people but there are also people like you.

Reactions: ulrey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT