ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Davis Comment

Dryfly88

Senior
Jul 9, 2015
During the post game show yesterday he made the comment that has been concerning me for some time: How does PU react when they are faced with something they either haven't seen or rarely see? (he was extremely complimentary of CMP and PU and even said the fan base deserves a FF and hopes we get one). So please leave the thoughts of him out of it. I'm just quoting him because it was something I have thought also.

I was glad when the Maryland coach switched up and started pressing and dropping into a zone off of it. I think it's pretty clear that we are prepared and do well against M to M defense. Let's be honest, its what we see 95% of the time in the B1G. I know we love our conference but I don't think it necessarily prepares us well for the tournament. I believe that the almost exclusive M to M is one of the reasons we haven't had a champion in 23 years. If you watch other major conferences, they change up quite often so their teams are used to facing many different looks. In the B1G conference our only question is, are they going to double Edey or play him straight up.

If we were to play Kansas for example, I guarantee Self is going to give us looks we never see in the B1G. We may still win, but it won't be because Edey catches the ball 3 feet from the basket and turns and scores. Alabama and Arizona, same thing. Izzo has been to a bunch of FF's, but it isn't because of versatility. Yesterday showed that in spades. Edey was having his way inside and Izzo never went to anything else. He threw a few double teams in, but never tried anything else. Just threw up his hands and gave up.

This isn't an argument for CMP to play zone, let's try and leave that out of it. I'm specifically talking about what other teams do or may do to us in the tournament. It's my biggest concern other than injuries. Interested to hear what others think about our conference preparing us for the dance.

During the post game show yesterday he made the comment that has been concerning me for some time: How does PU react when they are faced with something they either haven't seen or rarely see? (he was extremely complimentary of CMP and PU and even said the fan base deserves a FF and hopes we get one). So please leave the thoughts of him out of it. I'm just quoting him because it was something I have thought also.

I was glad when the Maryland coach switched up and started pressing and dropping into a zone off of it. I think it's pretty clear that we are prepared and do well against M to M defense. Let's be honest, its what we see 95% of the time in the B1G. I know we love our conference but I don't think it necessarily prepares us well for the tournament. I believe that the almost exclusive M to M is one of the reasons we haven't had a champion in 23 years. If you watch other major conferences, they change up quite often so their teams are used to facing many different looks. In the B1G conference our only question is, are they going to double Edey or play him straight up.

If we were to play Kansas for example, I guarantee Self is going to give us looks we never see in the B1G. We may still win, but it won't be because Edey catches the ball 3 feet from the basket and turns and scores. Alabama and Arizona, same thing. Izzo has been to a bunch of FF's, but it isn't because of versatility. Yesterday showed that in spades. Edey was having his way inside and Izzo never went to anything else. He threw a few double teams in, but never tried anything else. Just threw up his hands and gave up.

This isn't an argument for CMP to play zone, let's try and leave that out of it. I'm specifically talking about what other teams do or may do to us in the tournament. It's my biggest concern other than injuries. Interested to hear what others think about our conference preparing us for the dance.
Izzo never tried doubling TJD either. Size wise it makes sense, but in college when you have been big that can dominate, you absolutely have to double. And TJD put up 31 on em. I think I've seen Indiana go into some sort of zone just a couple of times this year but it's been rare. I'm not sure you can really even play zone on Purdue.

Defensively, best thing you can do against Purdue is pressure the ball and likely help off of Morton and double. Maybe a 3-2 of some sort or essentially a triangle and 2 that looks like a 3-2. Edeys size alone changes everything. That's THE difference between him and others.

Enjoy what is happening now instead of being a pseudo fan who can’t enjoy what Purdue is accomplishing at present but instead worries what failure you think we might not overcome in the future. Suggest you call into Matt Painter Radio Show and offer what you think he should be doing and explain your reasoning. That tended to go over well the last time someone felt they knew better than Painter…

Purdue played several good teams pre-B1G that played different styles. Very smart coaches have said that there is no way to stop Edey. Izzo has been to multiple FFs, and had already played Purdue once this year. You would think that he tried all of his tricks. So the other side of the coin is, Purdue has something that no other team in Div. 1 has seen and can be prepared for.

I'm honestly curious what you think Purdue has not seen yet, or won't see before the NCAA tournaments.

One thing that should help Purdue against most zones is its offensive rebounding prowess. If you don’t put bodies on Edey and Furst, they are going to give Purdue a ton of second chances.

Enjoy what is happening now instead of being a pseudo fan who can’t enjoy what Purdue is accomplishing at present but instead worries what failure you think we might not overcome in the future. Suggest you call into Matt Painter Radio Show and offer what you think he should be doing and explain your reasoning. That tended to go over well the last time someone felt they knew better than Painter…
“Pseudo fan”. Come on….

Let people discuss things without acting so self-righteous.

I do think a legit question to Painter would be “Are there any looks you’ve seen teams outside the B1G run that could be tough to see in the tournament? Of course, if he’s smart he wouldn’t answer that because it could be used against us.

I think coaches will look at what Maryland did on a press into zone to push our guards out and try to get us to rush the offense. That is what helped them claw back into the game.

Outside of that, I think eventually a zone gets broken because of Zach's abilities.

Someone like a Baylor, KState, TCU, Alabama with fast and aggressive guards, who pressure our guards, will be a challenge as well.

I think it's natural to think in those terms---especially considering both Little Rock and North Texas bounced Purdue from the NCAA Tournament in recent years by doing things that Purdue wasn't used to seeing and didn't handle well. I don't think it makes you a pseudo fan to ask that question. I'm just not sure what that crazy wrinkle could be. Teams have tried just about everything to stop Edey.

Someone like a Baylor, KState, TCU, Alabama with fast and aggressive guards, who pressure our guards, will be a challenge as well.
In my mind, this is the biggest question. Our guards have far exceeded expectations, bt I can't get it out of my head that they are still freshmen. Jenkins rounding into shape can be big.

My next biggest concern would be officiating. Will Purdue adjust to all styles?

In my mind, this is the biggest question. Our guards have far exceeded expectations, bt I can't get it out of my head that they are still freshmen. Jenkins rounding into shape can be big.

Agree on the importance of Jenkins finding his form at the right time.

I think one thing that is different about these guards is they can score in all 3 levels (sans Morton). They aren’t afraid to go get a bucket.

Refs always want to make the game about themselves. Painter will have to continue to stay on them because a lot of these guys will have 0 experience against someone like Edey. If the refs call it straight up, and he shoots 80% from the line, I don’t know how you stop us.

At the beginning of the year I said the best defense against against Purdue would be a box zone with two players guarding Edey in an attempt to deny him the ball. And daring us to shoot 3 point shots to beat them. A couple of teams tried this and were somewhat successful.

I have to believe teams will look at film of those close early games we had.

To be successful and stop the zone we will have to make our 3 pointers and in the final minutes our free throws. We are not going to see any blow outs.

Reactions: drewjin
@Dryfly88 "here is an interesting post and comment by Seth Davis. What do you all think?"

Everyone: you are a traitor and not a real fan..

Some of you have a serious case of the Mondays.

8d1dcf31f609e06611c4d3538b7d79d0.gif

One thing that should help Purdue against most zones is its offensive rebounding prowess. If you don’t put bodies on Edey and Furst, they are going to give Purdue a ton of second chances.
THIS!!! thgis is the weakness of most zones ... other than a team hitting their threes

Reactions: indyogb
The only real difficulty we saw was the Maryland game, as highlighted where they pressed full court, then dropped to zone. I think we had troubles then because of the reduced shot clock time to work through the zone. I honestly think any team without really high end athletes would struggle vs. that defense....especially when allowed to foul and grab at Edey as they were.

To the point trying to be made....Painter cant do anything in a game situation about that. You play vs. the D the other team plays. You can't really forcibly dictate how/what the other team plays. Id say they should practice more against zones....but how do we know they already don't in practice?

Playing a zone against us for a prolonged time isnt a good strategy either. Furst and Gillis move so well without the ball that unless your baseline defenders are super quick we will just move the ball and get a better shot. It burned us that one day because shot selection was so poor. Id bet we don't get caught in that situation again AND there are very few teams athletic enough to pull that off anyhow.

A couple of things here-First there is some legitimate concern about different looks, but it is just due to maybe being rusty...nothing really different if it was a problem. I also think we will have a better feel after Maryland.

Maryland was quick and ran a 2-2-1 press. Michigan ran the same press and then later in the game inverted it to a 1-2-2 press like Iowa. All the basic rules still apply against a zone press it is just that the look and traps may be different. Many of the presses are to eat clock more than turn you over. Eating clock hinders low post play more than other positions since the 5 has to get the ball in typically more difficult situations requiring more time.

Tom Crean in either his last year or the year before his last was starting out in zone and then trying to play man within the same possession. The D was more mixed up than usual with some in man and others in zone. I can't remember if Crean was really in a zone or a match-up zone which is attacked like man rather than a straight zone.

In the Maryland game it appeared early that Purdue didn't recognize Maryland was showing zone and I couldn't differentiate between Match-up and zone due to Purdue players not really going through to see if handoffs would take place, but it did eat clock. Purdue would have a player vacate and then another quickly replace and so a typical zone could follow that guy a step and then see his replacements. I like to see a player go through teh zone a bit first to see if players hand off the offensive player to another defender as teh offensive player leaves one area and enters another...and I could not see pointing by the top of the zone identifying who he had so others would match-up. Purdue didn't make it easy to differentiate, but man going into zone would have the man attacked just like you would attack a match-up once in man. I think the officials are more problematic in what they allow with teams that alternate defenses in other conferences than the actual attack of the different defenses. Those players are many times smaller and quicker and play more away from the basket...all things that have been a problem for Purdue in the past.

I think the Maryland game will provide more insight since Purdue has seen them once and they are not any quicker than they were.

could add Gillis and his strong hands to the list, every game Furst loses 2 rebounds that he can't squeeze and gives the opponent a 2nd chance, like the kid just an observation

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Same old dumb bullshit, “they’re good but what do they do against something they haven’t seen before” - same can and will be said forever about everyone, no one has (or will) seen it “all” until they end a season undefeated and with the championship - and even then people will say “they didn’t see this or that or with that injured player.”
Who cares.

Reactions: RossMackey
A couple of things here-First there is some legitimate concern about different looks, but it is just due to maybe being rusty...nothing really different if it was a problem. I also think we will have a better feel after Maryland.

Maryland was quick and ran a 2-2-1 press. Michigan ran the same press and then later in the game inverted it to a 1-2-2 press like Iowa. All the basic rules still apply against a zone press it is just that the look and traps may be different. Many of the presses are to eat clock more than turn you over. Eating clock hinders low post play more than other positions since the 5 has to get the ball in typically more difficult situations requiring more time.

Tom Crean in either his last year or the year before his last was starting out in zone and then trying to play man within the same possession. The D was more mixed up than usual with some in man and others in zone. I can't remember if Crean was really in a zone or a match-up zone which is attacked like man rather than a straight zone.

In the Maryland game it appeared early that Purdue didn't recognize Maryland was showing zone and I couldn't differentiate between Match-up and zone due to Purdue players not really going through to see if handoffs would take place, but it did eat clock. Purdue would have a player vacate and then another quickly replace and so a typical zone could follow that guy a step and then see his replacements. I like to see a player go through teh zone a bit first to see if players hand off the offensive player to another defender as teh offensive player leaves one area and enters another...and I could not see pointing by the top of the zone identifying who he had so others would match-up. Purdue didn't make it easy to differentiate, but man going into zone would have the man attacked just like you would attack a match-up once in man. I think the officials are more problematic in what they allow with teams that alternate defenses in other conferences than the actual attack of the different defenses. Those players are many times smaller and quicker and play more away from the basket...all things that have been a problem for Purdue in the past.

I think the Maryland game will provide more insight since Purdue has seen them once and they are not any quicker than they were.
Good analysis. We are much better at breaking the press now than before. I hope Maryland tries to press us again and we make them pay. Any team dropping into a zone with our 3-pt shooters and our offensive rebounding is just asking to be blown out of the gym. If I'm playing Purdue I'd pressure the ball and front Edey. Take my chances on letting Morton or Smith kill me with long shots. The problem is both those guys will kill you if you leave them alone. Gillis? Furst? Jenkins? Newman? They will all kill an opponent with the 3-ball.

Reactions: indyogb and drewjin
Enjoy what is happening now instead of being a pseudo fan who can’t enjoy what Purdue is accomplishing at present but instead worries what failure you think we might not overcome in the future. Suggest you call into Matt Painter Radio Show and offer what you think he should be doing and explain your reasoning. That tended to go over well the last time someone felt they knew better than Painter
Sorry you were so offended by a legit question to start some discussion. I know, let's start another friggin thread about IU and beat that to death.

Get over yourself, you might want to check a persons posting history before throwing out labels you have no idea about. I've been here a long time and I don't think anyone that has had discussions with me would call me a pseudo fan.

Purdue played several good teams pre-B1G that played different styles. Very smart coaches have said that there is no way to stop Edey. Izzo has been to multiple FFs, and had already played Purdue once this year. You would think that he tried all of his tricks. So the other side of the coin is, Purdue has something that no other team in Div. 1 has seen and can be prepared for.

I'm honestly curious what you think Purdue has not seen yet, or won't see before the NCAA tournaments.
Specifically multiple zones and "junk defenses" that take Edey out of the equation as much and force others to score consistently. Full court pressure. Maryland completely changed the tempo of that game. I'm not saying they were that great at it, but another team could be more effective (better athletes). I'm thinking of a team like Alabama or Arizona that have good bigs and very athletic.

If CMP knows his teams strengths, don't you think he would be the best person to know its weaknesses? Hence, he is probably running all kinds of different looks at practice. Affirmed by the fact that he made the proper in game adjustments when different looks were thrown in the past.

I'm sure they are extra physical in practice on Edey as well. Point being, there are probably no looks that CMP has already thought of himself and is practicing daily against said looks.

Same old dumb bullshit, “they’re good but what do they do against something they haven’t seen before” - same can and will be said forever about everyone, no one has (or will) seen it “all” until they end a season undefeated and with the championship - and even then people will say “they didn’t see this or that or with that injured player.”
Who cares.
Same dumb bullshit from you. Nothing to offer. Just move on if you don't care. Obviously others do because they are discussing it.

The only real difficulty we saw was the Maryland game, as highlighted where they pressed full court, then dropped to zone. I think we had troubles then because of the reduced shot clock time to work through the zone. I honestly think any team without really high end athletes would struggle vs. that defense....especially when allowed to foul and grab at Edey as they were.

To the point trying to be made....Painter cant do anything in a game situation about that. You play vs. the D the other team plays. You can't really forcibly dictate how/what the other team plays. Id say they should practice more against zones....but how do we know they already don't in practice?

Playing a zone against us for a prolonged time isnt a good strategy either. Furst and Gillis move so well without the ball that unless your baseline defenders are super quick we will just move the ball and get a better shot. It burned us that one day because shot selection was so poor. Id bet we don't get caught in that situation again AND there are very few teams athletic enough to pull that off anyhow.
I'm not as concerned about a zone as I am about Purdue's inconsistent outside shooting. All it takes to break a zone is to hit some 3s. So, as has been mentioned, it's timely for Jenkins to get more into a scorer's mindset because I think he can clearly fill it up when he has a mind to. And, since the team seems to shoot better away from home, the neutral courts in the tourneys should help them out, too.

Good god....it's a forum with the right to discuss things! Wasn't a bash in any form.....with out track record in tourney.....always good to have honest conversations!

Who cares.
I guess smarter people than you do care....a lot of good opinions and analysis .....forums are for discussions on the "hypotheticals"!

I think coaches will look at what Maryland did on a press into zone to push our guards out and try to get us to rush the offense. That is what helped them claw back into the game.

Outside of that, I think eventually a zone gets broken because of Zach's abilities.

It is hard to say what would be most difficult for Purdue since every team has personnel differences that may enhance or not a particular defense. Concerining any type of zone press. Be efficient on offense so the other teams play against your set D. If you are efficent enough on your shooting...just talking misses here not 3 or 2 pts, but how many times do you miss which is usually less on a 2 ball then the team plays against a set D more which generally prevents less zone pressing since "generally" that happens on makes for the team that presses. However a desperate team may try to press on misses... most likely in man if that were to happen. Personally, I think if a team with length can pressure the perimeter sufficiently and the refs allow a physical D, then that is the most effective against Purdue. They don't have to belly up with D, but can have enough length to apply some pressure, contain the dribble effectively and have the rim protector when all else fails. Rutgers has the length, is physical and probably day in and day out the tougher D for Purdue

Good analysis. We are much better at breaking the press now than before. I hope Maryland tries to press us again and we make them pay. Any team dropping into a zone with our 3-pt shooters and our offensive rebounding is just asking to be blown out of the gym. If I'm playing Purdue I'd pressure the ball and front Edey. Take my chances on letting Morton or Smith kill me with long shots. The problem is both those guys will kill you if you leave them alone. Gillis? Furst? Jenkins? Newman? They will all kill an opponent with the 3-ball.
I would be surprised if a zone was troublesome for Purdue after a couple of possessions if it took that long. I think an argument could be made for a Match-up zone, but since Zach is only a threat down low, the match-up gains little if any over straight man D against Purdue. You could make an argument on a match-up against the dick since he was a threat outside and could be covered out there with someone else keeping Zach closer to teh basket. Depending on the availability to switch as desired, that might also be accomplished in Man. STill any aggressive D that is allowed to be physical will be a problem since good D always has a physical component to it.

Reactions: mathboy

I brought the officiating up before. Big Ten refs let things go, we see with our own eyes Edey doesnt foul, but in the past he has had foul trouble when they call elbows or things like that on him jest because his elbow is face level.

As for a press, we handled it very well in the past, this is for 2 reasons, Smith is way better than anyone expected, even those that loved the kid have to be surprised, the other reason is Fletch. He has surpeising PG skills, best ballhandler SG we have had in years, and we have bench ballhandlers too. (jenkins for example), this team is a great ballhandling team.

As for the zone, we will offensive rebound the hell out of any team that goes zone against us, but that is what i would do. The other way you beat the zone is shoot over the zone, so if we are hitting our outside shots, we could bury a team that goes zone against us, but if we are not, it could be a long night.

Reactions: drewjin and mathboy
I imagine Painter has already thought of every counter measure. He knows a few things about basketball.
I was going to say the exact same thing. Very few coaches make the adjustments like CMP. He kind of knows what he’s doing I think.

As far as defensive schemes against us, we’ve seen just about everything to date. And as far as zone, most teams won’t zone us. We rebounded the ball so well on the offensive end as well as anyone and that’s something you give up a lot of times playing a zone. Not to mention we’re 4th in the country in offensive efficiency and very few looks slow us down.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I imagine Painter has already thought of every counter measure. He knows a few things about basketball.
There is no counter to presses whether in the half or full that aren't pretty well understood by high school coaches. The differences are the physical attributes and cerebral ability between having an effective press or zone as well as attacking a press or half court zone. Different coaches may try different things with different teams, but there is nothing new under the sun. Purdue's success against presses can pretty much be aligned with quick guards. Even Ronnie JOhnson who some did not think was a very good PG for Purdue had no trouble with a press during his time...same with Lew Jack, Carsen, and Braden Smith and so forth. It wasn't that Matt knew and then would forget how to break a press, it was the players being vulnerable to it at various times.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Listening to Seth on Sunday, I was nodding in agreement. But ruminating a bit more on the “fear of getting my hopes up”, I realize that I have more confidence in this team to adjust and overcome than any other team post the baby boilers, who were frankly dealt a kick in the nads in Minneapolis. From the leadership, to the togetherness, the tenacity, the dominance of Edey, the attention to detail, etc., etc., this team is better constructed than those of the past several years imho.

He certainly does. However, knowing what you want to do and being able to do it can be 2 different things. I agree with TJ, physical guards (and allowed to be physical) could be an issue. Baylor guards as an example. Our offense is beautiful when allowed to flow and make our cuts and passes. Physical play on the exterior can mess that all up.
As far as zone, I agree with most that it may not be affective. However, if we shoot from 3 like we have in some games it could be a tough night.

Shrews was defensive coordinator at Boston when he was hired to be the offensive coordinator at Purdue. He and Paint have both said he was chosen because he knew ways on offense that would give his defense troubles. I am sure for every set we run that there is a counter move based on how the defense reacts.

Knowing the teams strengths and weaknesses is what Paint is paid to know. I am sure he knows exactly what would give this team trouble and exactly how to approach that if it does ever arise.

There was a good example of this yesterday against MSU.

In the second half around 5:30 left, we ran a set where Loyer got the wide open 3 because Zach sealed the recovering defender perfectly out of the low post. We ran it the next possession and they countered so we swung it to Gillis who dropped it deep to Edey for an easy 2.

As much as Painter has to counter, the 5 guys on the court have to recognize what the defense is doing to know how to counter in real time.

Play 1

Play 2

There was a good example of this yesterday against MSU.

In the second half around 5:30 left, we ran a set where Loyer got the wide open 3 because Zach sealed the recovering defender perfectly out of the low post. We ran it the next possession and they countered so we swung it to Gillis who dropped it deep to Edey for an easy 2.

As much as Painter has to counter, the 5 guys on the court have to recognize what the defense is doing to know how to counter in real time.

Play 1

Play 2
Those two plays are great examples of the little things that Zach does that don’t show up in the stats.

ADVERTISEMENT