ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously, how can CMP watch this without getting a tech....

*4purdue*

All-American
May 6, 2008
freaking give them the game. He is so soft. GK would have been tossed at the 6 point possession

Reactions: ahhculdee
That 6 point possesion was the game changer that gave MSU momentum. I still honestly don't know what happened. MSU missed, then refs miss over the back call, they hit a 3. I am with it still at this point. Then what happened? I hear them say "foul" and I think he's shooting ONE free throw. Then they inbound pass and get another 3? WTF happened?

Reactions: Zaphod_B
That 6 point possesion was the game changer that gave MSU momentum. I still honestly don't know what happened. MSU missed, then refs miss over the back call, they hit a 3. I am with it still at this point. Then what happened? I hear them say "foul" and I think he's shooting ONE free throw. Then they inbound pass and get another 3? WTF happened?
I think it was Davis or somebody just completely ran one of the MSU players over down low (was running from near the foul line to the rim in an attempt to get in position for a potential rebound). They made the shot and then got the ball do to the foul.

It looked like Purdue was standing around while Mich St was playing the 2nd half, then Purdue kicked it in gear the second half on defense, offense not so much, I only saw one call I disagreed with, Mich St was just playing harder

It looked like Purdue was standing around while Mich St was playing the 2nd half, then Purdue kicked it in gear the second half on defense, offense not so much, I only saw one call I disagreed with, Mich St was just playing harder

Really......really????

Wow, I thought they were getting all the key calls. The 2 fouls while they were shooting 3's were ridiculous. I'm not sure how you can tell that Forbe foot was not on the line either. I thought the call on the court was suppose to stand unless you can see without doubt.

I am a die hard Boilermaker, but I gotta be honest about the calls, they gave Purdue an extra point also on shot by Davis

I thought the game was called pretty well. Playing that highly ranked team and everyone thinks it's not going to be a dogfight. That was some amazing stuff to watch. Such a great win and so many called it a loss long before it was over. I loved it and I'll enjoy looking my MSU friend in the eyes as she buys me that cold soda tomorrow. Love it!!

Did MSU get any rebounds that did not include an uncalled over the back play? I don't recall more than one or two. Valentine uses the arm bar all the time to clear room, and Costello is one dirty player under the basket. Way too many hacks and grabs inside for my taste. Glad they didn't intimidate us.

:cool:

Reactions: BoilerGal74
Awesome win............but man that was the worst officiating I've seen in any of our games this year so far........and at Mackey? wow
This is he Big Ten. Bad officiating is suppose to happen. I've accepted that fact 30 years ago. Over the years I've seen Valentine and Hightower screw Purdue out of many a game. Where is Rucker when you need him. He was a reffin' fool.

Did MSU get any rebounds that did not include an uncalled over the back play? I don't recall more than one or two. Valentine uses the arm bar all the time to clear room, and Costello is one dirty player under the basket. Way too many hacks and grabs inside for my taste. Glad they didn't intimidate us.

:cool:
I agree, it turns a great game between to good teams ugly. I'd rather see them let us play. MSU was way more physical that we were the second half. I haven't seen the numbers, but I'm guessing they out rebounded us by 10.... At least it seamed like it.

MSU big men in serious foul trouble. A couple bad calls against Purdue. Refs were not the issue. MSU Toughness and bad shots ( biggie) caused the comeback not refs. Purdue Toughness kept MSU from running by Purdue like Maryland and Iowa did and won the game for Purdue.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
CMP is a complete incredibly weak on the refs. He needs to stand up for his players. I am so damn sick and tired of little agile guards getting breathed on and getting the call. Hass gets punched and tackled and....nothing....mainting the flow of the game or some crap like that. I also want to know where the hard nose Purdue defense disappears to. It's like they just stand there on some plays and end up leaving a wide open lane or wide open 3 point shooter. Just venting some of my frustrations after going to the Maryland game and watching them lose a very winnable game and then once again watching them blow a sizeable first half lead tonight.

This game and the Butler game I feel were the two worst officiated games of the season. Haas just doesn't get a break. Valentine travels all the time, It's a win, and I'll take it.

I agree, it turns a great game between to good teams ugly. I'd rather see them let us play. MSU was way more physical that we were the second half. I haven't seen the numbers, but I'm guessing they out rebounded us by 10.... At least it seamed like it.
PU out rebounded MSU.

Reactions: *4purdue*

Purdue out rebounded MSU by 3 for the game. Purdue has dominated so much this year that it just seemed worse than it was.

Reactions: *4purdue*
Now that we won, you have to give credit to MSU for hitting the huge shots with the opportunities they were given. Now, those opportunities................

This game and the Butler game I feel were the two worst officiated games of the season. Haas just doesn't get a break. Valentine travels all the time, It's a win, and I'll take it.

I was talking with an IU fan and we both agree that Haas and Hammonds suffer from the Shaq syndrome: The officials won't call the defenders on them with normal fouls because Haas and Hammonds are so freaking big.
The officials are supposed to be cleaning up post play this season and it clearly has not been done. Many times MSU was pushing them off their posts spots. I believe that isn't allowed this year, as the post player is entitled to his spot/space. You also can't wrap your arms around a post player's waist to use it as leverage to adjust your defensive position.

As bad as some of the calls were...
The first 7 minutes or so was a thing of bball beauty.
No fouls, bad calls, not even a first deadball TV timeout until 13:xx something I think.

As bad as some of the calls were...
The first 7 minutes or so was a thing of bball beauty.
No fouls, bad calls, not even a first deadball TV timeout until 13:xx something I think.
Then 48 fouls called the last 38 minutes.

I was talking with an IU fan and we both agree that Haas and Hammonds suffer from the Shaq syndrome: The officials won't call the defenders on them with normal fouls because Haas and Hammonds are so freaking big.
The officials are supposed to be cleaning up post play this season and it clearly has not been done. Many times MSU was pushing them off their posts spots. I believe that isn't allowed this year, as the post player is entitled to his spot/space. You also can't wrap your arms around a post player's waist to use it as leverage to adjust your defensive position.
In the possession that Hammons was called for extending his arms to receive a pass, he was fouled several times before the call that went against him. It appeared that Painter was furious and was making that point loud and clear to the officials. The next time down the court the officials quickly sent Hammons to the line for almost identical physical defense. The problem is that Hammons and Haas get fouled almost every possession and officials don't like to call that many non shooting fouls in the post.

Reactions: mathboy
In the possession that Hammons was called for extending his arms to receive a pass, he was fouled several times before the call that went against him. It appeared that Painter was furious and was making that point loud and clear to the officials. The next time down the court the officials quickly sent Hammons to the line for almost identical physical defense. The problem is that Hammons and Haas get fouled almost every possession and officials don't like to call that many non shooting fouls in the post.

Precisely!
Also, How many times do you see the defender hook their arm under and over Haas or Hammonds' outstretched arm and then many times Haas/Hammonds get an elbow to the face foul call on him? As soon as they hook their arm like that, it should be a foul.

Reactions: mathboy
I watched the game again this afternoon on ESPNU. DIdn't have to deal with the roller coaster emotions of watching it in real time like last night. The officiating was very poor. For nearly the first 4 minutes of the second half, we played decent....not like the first half but good enough to keep a 16 point lead. At 16;08, PJ gets hammered underneath and no call. MSU then make consecutive 3's and the momentum changed big time from that point. The abuse that Hammons and particularly Haas take at times is hard to understand. Valentine travels quite a bit. JH got swatted in the head an half court and no call. I usually think Dakich is ok as an announcer and usually gives Purdue some props. Last night I thought for the most part he was an ass. We won DESPITE some breakdowns on our part and some poor officiating.

IMO, the officiating was fine. MSU called for 9 more and they had 2 players foul out. Geez. It was a big win....just that....a BIG WIN!!

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Obviously I, like many on here, thought the officiating was very poor..........especially for a home game, where I expect a few calls to go to the home team. No different than being on the road. But hey, PU won anyway........and in another week or so, I'll be over it.

IMO, the officiating was fine. MSU called for 9 more and they had 2 players foul out. Geez. It was a big win....just that....a BIG WIN!!
I don't think that you can assume that the game was well officiated because MSU was called for a few more fouls. The reason why their bigs were in foul trouble is that they were pushing and shoving on every Purdue possession, especially in the second half.

I don't think that you can assume that the game was well officiated because MSU was called for a few more fouls. The reason why their bigs were in foul trouble is that they were pushing and shoving on every Purdue possession, especially in the second half.

I'm not assuming. But, the game wasn't that bad, IMO. I used those points to support my opinion. I still don't think it was nearly as bad as some are saying. JMHO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT